Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Broadhead & fitness 14:43 - Jan 26 with 2099 viewscbower

Since our interest in Broadhead became public, I have seen countless posts which question his ability to stay fit. Indeed, his absence from the 18 for Plymouth fuelled doubts. Who knows what the future holds for any player but one big thing has changed at Town in the last 18 months - the depth of squad options. Nobody was more frustrated than I when our most talented player, a certain David McGoldrick, consistently missed significant chunks every season. My annoyance only compounded when he went to Sheff United and proceeded to be seemingly all but injury free for several seasons! How did this happen? Well, maybe our medical team wasn't up to scratch (probably due to poor investment). More likely, however, was that if he was 90% fit, McG was played. He was likely rushed back too soon at times and played when a more professional set up would have said he needed a rest. All of the above was the result of no depth to the squad. Without McG, his replacement, whoever it was, was such a massive step down. With Broadhead (or all our players maybe except Morsy and Walton), there is a more than adequate replacement for a game missed here and there. For Broadhead, you could say that Chaplin, Harness, Aluko, Edwards, Jackson and even Humphreys would offer competition and there would be no reason to take risks with anyone's long term fitness.

bluescouser

Broadhead & fitness on 14:50 - Jan 26 with 2008 viewshomer_123

I would add that seeing the likes of Harness and Aluko returning more quickly than expected illustrates that our medical team might well be in a better shape than it was.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Broadhead & fitness on 14:56 - Jan 26 with 1956 viewscbower

Broadhead & fitness on 14:50 - Jan 26 by homer_123

I would add that seeing the likes of Harness and Aluko returning more quickly than expected illustrates that our medical team might well be in a better shape than it was.

Agreed although the fact that Ball's season ending injury at Charlton followed that televised cup game when he was poor and eventually substituted (apparently with an injury that he exacerbated against the Addicks) was questionable.

bluescouser

Broadhead & fitness on 15:46 - Jan 26 with 1776 viewsCitrixBlue

Wasn't McGoldrick injury record down to the fact his commute to Ipswich for training was from the Midlands everyday? No doubt sitting on the A14, especially when the A14 was poor between Huntingdon & Cambridge probably didn't help. Hence a move to Sheffield Utd suited him better.
Broadhead & fitness on 16:07 - Jan 26 with 1680 viewsSheffordBlue

Broadhead & fitness on 15:46 - Jan 26 by CitrixBlue

Wasn't McGoldrick injury record down to the fact his commute to Ipswich for training was from the Midlands everyday? No doubt sitting on the A14, especially when the A14 was poor between Huntingdon & Cambridge probably didn't help. Hence a move to Sheffield Utd suited him better.

Phill keeps debunking that one. He had a flat here that he used during the week. The issue was more to do with more management/treatment of his injury and rushing him back too early.

He talks about it himself in this interview with Statman:

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Broadhead & fitness on 16:07 - Jan 26 with 1675 viewsIllinoisblue

That’s what we were told. But can’t imagine he’s the only player to travel somewhat significant distance to work.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Broadhead & fitness on 16:11 - Jan 26 with 1653 viewsRadlett_blue

Broadhead & fitness on 16:07 - Jan 26 by Illinoisblue

That’s what we were told. But can’t imagine he’s the only player to travel somewhat significant distance to work.

Alex Ferguson made a young Ryan Giggs get rid of his Ferrari because he told him that operating the heavy clutch increased his chances of aggravating an injury.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Broadhead & fitness on 16:23 - Jan 26 with 1578 viewsIllinoisblue

Broadhead & fitness on 16:07 - Jan 26 by SheffordBlue

Phill keeps debunking that one. He had a flat here that he used during the week. The issue was more to do with more management/treatment of his injury and rushing him back too early.

He talks about it himself in this interview with Statman:

Thx for the link. Will give that a watch

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Broadhead & fitness on 17:01 - Jan 26 with 1409 viewsZx1988

I think the changes in how the entire system works will have helped as well.

I seem to recall, during Cook's tenure, that it was explained that player availability was taken out of the hands of the manager, and it's now a case of Andy Rolls(?) providing the manager with a list of players who are available to be selected.

I've little doubt that, previously, players might have been rushed back by managers who were keen to try and bring about positive results.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Login to get fewer ads

Broadhead & fitness on 17:25 - Jan 26 with 1268 viewsclive_baker

Probably didn't help but I can't help but think our investment under Evans was insufficient in areas such as strength & conditioning. Norwood and Bishop are other ones that come to mind. It wasn't just a grubby roof that was a consequence of the corner cutting across the board.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024