Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing 13:35 - Jan 24 with 2961 viewshomer_123

What other players fit this bill?

Le Tissier is another that springs to mind, any more?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:30 - Jan 24 with 930 viewsBloomBlue

A life long Spurs fan who has wanted their scoring record since he was little. He'll pass that this season, he can then leave having cemented his name in Spurs history and then win trophies at another club
Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:36 - Jan 24 with 915 viewsmonty_radio

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 14:30 - Jan 24 by monty_radio

I think that the advance of the market economy in football has meant that there are few like Kane whereas in the era of the wage cap there was less incentive for players to move about. So, for example, the 1953 F.A. Cup final was known as the Matthews final (although by common consent he was not MoM ) just because he was 38 and his time had seemed to have passed him by without medals. But I think if you checked out the football annuals of the 1950s and 60s there would be a fair few "greats" who retired medal-less.

Just had a trawl on some of the websites declaring the greatest footballers who never won anything - some pretty localised definitions of "great", including: Rob Lee and Clive Allen, although I would allow Johnny Haynes and Tom Finney (by reputation, anyway).

Apparently Socrates didn't win anything - but then I don't think Plato or Aristotle did either.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:36 - Jan 24 with 914 viewsiamatractorboy

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:26 - Jan 24 by homer_123

UEFA cup winner and Premier League winner isn't he?

Yeh ignore me, Google lied to me!!
Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:39 - Jan 24 with 909 viewsiamatractorboy

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:30 - Jan 24 by BloomBlue

A life long Spurs fan who has wanted their scoring record since he was little. He'll pass that this season, he can then leave having cemented his name in Spurs history and then win trophies at another club

I've found it a little strange how Sky have been banging on about Kane passing Greaves' Spurs record, when they usually airbrush Geaves out of history completely when they talk about the Premier League top scorers (yes I know he didn't play in the PL but they do the old 'pre-1992 doesn't exist' trick all the time).
Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:56 - Jan 24 with 891 viewsDinnernotTea

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 14:49 - Jan 24 by BseaBlue

Shearer always says he was happy playing for his boyhood club. However, he must surely always think 'What if' he chose Man united instead.

I dread to think how many more goals he would have scored with Beckham, Giggs et al providing him service.

He only says that because he won the Prem in 1995. Had Blackburn finished 2nd almost certain he would've joined Man U.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:57 - Jan 24 with 889 viewsitfcjoe

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 14:30 - Jan 24 by monty_radio

I think that the advance of the market economy in football has meant that there are few like Kane whereas in the era of the wage cap there was less incentive for players to move about. So, for example, the 1953 F.A. Cup final was known as the Matthews final (although by common consent he was not MoM ) just because he was 38 and his time had seemed to have passed him by without medals. But I think if you checked out the football annuals of the 1950s and 60s there would be a fair few "greats" who retired medal-less.

An interesting article in the Athletic the other day saying how 5 of the current big 6 have had their all time goalscoring records broken recently (or about to be)

Henry, Aguero, Lampard, Rooney, Kane

But that in the rest of the 92 the records are so longstanding (bar MK) because players don't stay long enough at smaller clubs now - they either do really well and move on, or don't do well enough to break record even if they stay there for career (e.g. Gabby Agbonlahor at Villa)

Notable exception was Ian Henderson who has just broken Rochdale's record in his second spell there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 16:05 - Jan 24 with 853 viewsGarv

Such an overused stick to beat great players with (not saying you are). Shearer won a PL but is better known for scoring 260 goals.

How many bang average or crap squad players have won premier leagues and FA Cups?

I hope he stays at Tottenham and becomes a legend, albeit he probably is already. He'll have more of a legacy doing that than if he goes to a team already winning titles and gets a couple of medals.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 16:25 - Jan 24 with 807 viewsmonty_radio

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:57 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

An interesting article in the Athletic the other day saying how 5 of the current big 6 have had their all time goalscoring records broken recently (or about to be)

Henry, Aguero, Lampard, Rooney, Kane

But that in the rest of the 92 the records are so longstanding (bar MK) because players don't stay long enough at smaller clubs now - they either do really well and move on, or don't do well enough to break record even if they stay there for career (e.g. Gabby Agbonlahor at Villa)

Notable exception was Ian Henderson who has just broken Rochdale's record in his second spell there

The era of the wage cap produced many long-standing record club goalscorers. A liitle later, after the cap was removed, such as our own Ray Crawford would have easily raised our own all-time scoring record from 200 to 250 had his absent three years not coincided with the three potentially best of his career (aged 27-30) spent playing where the money was better.

Login to get fewer ads

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 16:47 - Jan 24 with 777 viewsMattinLondon

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 14:07 - Jan 24 by tractorboy1978

I know Shearer won 1 PL with Blackburn but he's in a similar position, he could have won far more if he decided to go elsewhere.

Kane will probably end up taking his record as the highest goal scorer in PL history as well.

Shearer went to Blackburn at a time when they were blowing away all other clubs in terms of transfer outlay. At the time, Man U hadn’t won the league for 25 years and so it’s easy to understand why Shearer went there.

I’m pretty sure that Blackburn refused to sell him to Man U - this at a time when player power wasn’t as extensive. Or I could be totally wrong about this.
Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 17:45 - Jan 24 with 738 viewshappybeingblue

Golden boot at a world cup
Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 17:52 - Jan 24 with 731 viewsFrimleyBlue

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:27 - Jan 24 by HighgateBlue

Wembley medal, innit. :)

Although saying that, Kane was on loan at Norwich at one point, so presumably he has a 'participants'' medal lying around somewhere...

Whilst you jest. Didn't they have a picture of kane and use it to say players they had at the world cup...

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 18:00 - Jan 24 with 729 viewsHerbivore

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 14:56 - Jan 24 by CraigIT

Tottenham are still in the CL. They could win that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 18:01 - Jan 24 with 726 viewsFrimleyBlue

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 16:47 - Jan 24 by MattinLondon

Shearer went to Blackburn at a time when they were blowing away all other clubs in terms of transfer outlay. At the time, Man U hadn’t won the league for 25 years and so it’s easy to understand why Shearer went there.

I’m pretty sure that Blackburn refused to sell him to Man U - this at a time when player power wasn’t as extensive. Or I could be totally wrong about this.

Was it shearer that had the first ever 'club' release clause in it... where basically Newcastle were the only club that shearer would automatically be entitled to move too.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 18:11 - Jan 24 with 718 viewscatch74

I always think of Steve Bull for Wolves.
He got picked for England whilst playing for them in the then third division (that’s currently our level!) Played only one game in the top flight in the end despite having plenty of teams after him.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 18:52 - Jan 24 with 674 viewsMattinLondon

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 18:11 - Jan 24 by catch74

I always think of Steve Bull for Wolves.
He got picked for England whilst playing for them in the then third division (that’s currently our level!) Played only one game in the top flight in the end despite having plenty of teams after him.

I wonder if he ever regrets not moving to a top tier team when in his prime?

Probably not as he seemed to value happiness over ambition.
Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 19:02 - Jan 24 with 662 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 15:24 - Jan 24 by iamatractorboy

Robin van Persie never won a trophy either, apparently, which I found surprising.

The same Robin van Persie who moved to Man Utd and immediately won the league?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 19:08 - Jan 24 with 665 viewsVic

Rodney Marsh or Frank Worthngton. Brilliant players - did either of them ever win anything?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 10:16 - Jan 25 with 578 viewsmonty_radio

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 19:08 - Jan 24 by Vic

Rodney Marsh or Frank Worthngton. Brilliant players - did either of them ever win anything?

I think you're correct. Marsh himself was quotes as saying:

"I have to hold my hands up — I cost Manchester City the 1972 league championship" - this after his selection had forced a change of style from Allison.

Think you could add Tony Currie to that list too..

Kane - great striker but will likely end his career with winning nothing on 11:23 - Jan 25 with 513 viewsBigCommon

James Ward-Prowse of Southampton, has been in this conversation recently. Surprised a bigger club than Southampton, have never taken a punt on him..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024