Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sitting with the home fans at an away game 14:15 - Jan 11 with 10465 viewsTractorgirlforever

Has anybody ever bought tickets for an away game but had to get the tickets with the home fans as there were no away tickets left?. Has there ever been trouble or do you just have to keep very quiet!
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:21 - Jan 11 with 5392 viewsjayessess

Yes, I've done this in the past. Most memorable time was being in the Home End for the 1-0 win at Watford in 2015.

Basically if the home fans work it out they'll probably tell the stewards to come and kick you out. It's an option for watching the game, not really an option for actively supporting your team. At that Watford game I sat in silence, applauded when everyone else applauded, kept myself to myself, behaved like I was a tourist who just wanted to take a game in but wasn't arsed about the result.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:25 - Jan 11 with 5336 viewsDyland

Yes... many times at Loftus Rd and Selhurst Park, once at Highbury and once at the Ricoh. No trouble at any. Only at Highbury was I with other (three) Town fans but Arsenal beat us (first season back in Prem) and no one gave a shyte.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:26 - Jan 11 with 5328 viewsmickymills

Sat in The River End for Norwich away, December 1992.
Got head butted at half time in the toilets.
Stayed on to celebrate and cheer our two glorious second half goals in the two nil win.
God, I was crazy back then!
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:32 - Jan 11 with 5254 viewsunstableblue

Done it a number of times.

Varies by ground.

Overall its not a very pleasant experience.

Trick is to find the equivalent of the Cobbold Upper, where the fans are sedate, and also don't make your true allegiance known!

Did Wycombe Away in the home stand recently, a poor Town performance overall, a leaking roof, and just horrible home fans revelling in their time wasting and sh!thousery... has put me off doing that again for a while!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:39 - Jan 11 with 5178 viewsBLUEBEAT

Think there will plenty of Ipswich fans dotted around the Abbey (or whatever it’s called these days) on 4th Feb!

Poll: W or W

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:46 - Jan 11 with 5111 viewsDJR

I've done it on a few occasions.

Probably the most dangerous place was in the Shelf at Tottenham with a couple of fellow Ipswich fans about 40 or so years ago at a time when hooliganism was rife.

I also did it at Wimbledon just before the lockdown.

On every occasion I've just kept my head down about who I support, internalising any celebrations because you never no what lunatic might be about. Of course, I may be over-reacting these days, particularly if you're among more decent supporters, but at Wimbledon there were some hefty blokes about and I didn't really want to take a chance.

I think the other issue is that you can probably be ejected for being in the home section if you show you are an away fan. That happened at Charlton.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 14:51]
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:54 - Jan 11 with 5031 viewsDeano69

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:21 - Jan 11 by jayessess

Yes, I've done this in the past. Most memorable time was being in the Home End for the 1-0 win at Watford in 2015.

Basically if the home fans work it out they'll probably tell the stewards to come and kick you out. It's an option for watching the game, not really an option for actively supporting your team. At that Watford game I sat in silence, applauded when everyone else applauded, kept myself to myself, behaved like I was a tourist who just wanted to take a game in but wasn't arsed about the result.

I attended a Watford game (by invitation of a friend who lives down that way) in with the home supporters. Couldn't help but slightly jump off my seat with a very muted celebration. Turned out there were 3 of us in the stand all fairly close to each other that sort of did the same. A knowing look was shared!

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:54 - Jan 11 with 5027 viewstextbackup

Few irons placed in the fire ready for games that this might be needed nearer the end of the season.

And I’d stand in silence, clap if ‘home’ team score, and if we were to score I’d probably shout ‘fcksake’ in joy… the locals would never know…

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:54 - Jan 11 with 5026 viewsIllinoisblue

Done it at Norwich, the game we lost 3-0 when Warky was sent off. Kept quiet for most of the game despite being very drunk. Left early and clipped a budgie around the ear on the way out. Pretty much a Green Street prequel right there.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:56 - Jan 11 with 4988 viewsbrazil1981

Stood on my own in Millwall end at Cold Blow in early 90s. Was staying with a mate in the area and thought it safer to be ‘under cover’ with home fans rather than be seen leaving away section on my own after match!

Interesting experience, no issues thankfully, match finished 1-1, obviously just smiled quietly to myself when we scored!!!! Thing I remember most was the mass vitriolic racism being directed at Chris Kiwomya. I’d been going to Portman Road through 70s & 80s and Town fans were on occasions guilty of such behaviour in those days, however this was on a completely different scale and opened my eyes to what black players of those eras had to endure!
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:59 - Jan 11 with 4949 viewsBecclesITFC

I'm in the home end for Oxford. I will be respectful.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:59 - Jan 11 with 4938 viewsSaleAway

Went with a burnley supporting mate to watch us play in 2007.

Goals inside the first ten from Lee and Legwinski put us in control, and it all happened so quickly, didn't really worry about celebrating.

Burnley pulled one back straight away, and then equalised after about 60 minutes.

Last 30 was tense, and with about 5 minutes to go Counago stuck one in the back of the net.... I leapt of my seat... very quickly realised that I shouldn't be celebrating, and then we all realised that the lino had his flag up. Lots of laughter at my expense.

Finished 2-2 and I escaped unharmed.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:01 - Jan 11 with 4895 viewsLeBlue

Done it loads of times, including this season. Never, ever been a problem but I am generally on my own and keep my gob shut.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:02 - Jan 11 with 4863 viewsRozz

Charlton away this season. Let the cat out of the bag when our 4th went in in injury time. A bloke came over and gave it the biggun pointing to his chin, before leaving and missing their fight back to 4-4.

As long as you're respectful I'd say most places are fine. I certainly wouldn't be dobbing in a group at PR because one or two of them happen to be away supporters.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:02 - Jan 11 with 4859 viewsbelgablue

Did this for a Reading game a few years back. Home fans cottoned on and we were turfed out. Somehow managed to sneak through a hotel or something into a box, saw Bent score in injury time to put us 1-0 up. Went berserk. Then they equalised straight from kick off and we were promptly surrounded by about 30 Reading fans dancing around us. Pretty funny looking back but certainly not at the time.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:05 - Jan 11 with 4784 viewsbluelagos

Upton Park, Carrot Rd, Elland Rd, City ground and St Andrews - all without issue.

Just keep yer gob shut and unlikely to be a problem. Jump up when we score - and you might regret it - only takes 1 dickhead to ruin your afternoon.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:12 - Jan 11 with 4718 viewsle2blue

Watched the Ipswich v Chelsea League cup game in 1998 in the away end in the Cobbold. Couldn't get tickets in the home end so went with some Chelsea mates. We drew 2-2 but we lost on penalties. Was surrounded by Chelsea headhunters so mainly kept my mouth shut.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:13 - Jan 11 with 4697 viewsProjectBlueBean

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:14 - Jan 11 with 4694 viewsTexacoCup

In the 70s our game at QPR was called off last minute, we were already on the coach when we heard and the driver asked if we wanted to go to norwich v west brom instead, most of us did.
Several of us went in the river end and the police weren't happy, so walked us alongside the pitch into the WBA section of the barclays! The Albion fans didn't know what to think and we celebrated a goal with them. All was going well while the budgies sang 'give us the ipswich' but when they sang 'seven Nil' (it was after we'd recently beaten WBA 7-0), things got a little uncomfortable - we left at half-time ;) The things you do when you're young!
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:17 - Jan 11 with 4670 viewsLord_Lucan

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:54 - Jan 11 by textbackup

Few irons placed in the fire ready for games that this might be needed nearer the end of the season.

And I’d stand in silence, clap if ‘home’ team score, and if we were to score I’d probably shout ‘fcksake’ in joy… the locals would never know…

Me and one other (who you will probably know) went in The Matthew Harding stand when we played Chelsea in the FA Cup - 6 or 7 years ago????

For a laugh we agreed to stay silent but cheer a goal if we scored, which we did - and the place went nuts and we got kicked out.

Cracking day out all in all though.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:18 - Jan 11 with 4638 viewsI_LOVE_GOLLOB

Nodge 92.. that was an experience!

Poll: How would you kill a budgie?

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:22 - Jan 11 with 4586 viewsLord_Lucan

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:14 - Jan 11 by TexacoCup

In the 70s our game at QPR was called off last minute, we were already on the coach when we heard and the driver asked if we wanted to go to norwich v west brom instead, most of us did.
Several of us went in the river end and the police weren't happy, so walked us alongside the pitch into the WBA section of the barclays! The Albion fans didn't know what to think and we celebrated a goal with them. All was going well while the budgies sang 'give us the ipswich' but when they sang 'seven Nil' (it was after we'd recently beaten WBA 7-0), things got a little uncomfortable - we left at half-time ;) The things you do when you're young!

Back in the day (around 1980 / 81) about 30 of us went in River End and we all got kicked out. We got marched along the touchline and my mate Abdul tackled Clive Woods who was playing for Norwich by then.

Edit - did it also circa mid to late 80's a couple of times - on one occasion I was with the late great Steven Edwards (AKA Steamer) and I admit we almost got into a proper pickle and had to jump over the wall sharpish.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 15:25]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:24 - Jan 11 with 4566 viewsBasuco

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:14 - Jan 11 by TexacoCup

Was that the Sudbury bus? Mrs Basuco was on that and they diverted to that game, QPR called off due to fog I think she said? She went straight to the West Brom end tho, wouldn't mix with budgies.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:26 - Jan 11 with 4515 viewsdavblue

i remember a dad and his boy (6/7) who were Norwich fans sitting in the Cobbold in the 90's when Taricco scored and Mason did on a Friday night if i recall correctly.

The boy gave it away and my brother was around the same age giving him some stick. The dad was pretty nervous about sitting there.

Done it plenty of times more so recently due to away tickets being harder to get. keep quiet and you will be fine.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:26 - Jan 11 with 4512 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I've only ever done it at Priestfield (04/05?) and London Road (09/10?) but wouldn't want to do it again. Not particularly hostile environments, but I just couldn't enjoy the matches undercover. I'm too invested in the game that I forget where I am - would be a crap secret agent.

Probably doesn't help that we didn't win either, although I think I would have been kicked out if we had. Not for me.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024