Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us 10:10 - Jan 10 with 3364 viewsBobbychase

I've seen a few people comparing this season's transfers with the window where we got the likes of Oli Hawkins in. It is a staggering comparison between two different eras at the club.

Might not get universal agreement saying this but the club have fulfilled their part of the bargain, both in the summer window and now this one. With the leaders in town on Saturday, it's up to us to turn up prepared to get behind the team and create an intimidating atmosphere for Plymouth - like they did for us at their place.

People talk about acoustics, stadium design etc, and there is some credence in that, but the main reason we struggle to create an atmosphere at Portman Road sometimes is that the ground holds more than 29,000 people, and only one tier - the SBR lower - sings. That's about 4,000 people, and not all of them join in.

Organisations like Blue Action are doing what they can, but there comes a point where the rest of the fanbase has to shake off their inhibitions and get involved.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:21 - Jan 10 with 3239 viewsmickymills

I've been struggling with this lack of atmosphere issue for most of my time supporting the club (first match 1972).
Over the years I've stood or sat in every stand and enjoyed the relatively few times when most of the crowd do drop their inhibitions for once.
I think it's about creating a disconnect. Most people are in some way or other, naturally reserved and have inhibitions in their daily life.
It's then about getting those people to drop their natural behaviour and let them
selves go.
For me that's always been easy, shouting and singing a natural release, watching the game that you've built up to all week, the tension building as each day ticks down to kick off.
OR is this a matter more present in Suffolk? Is it true or a stereotype that Suffolk people are more withdrawn and reserved, lacking natural exuberance?
Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:23 - Jan 10 with 3196 viewsclive_baker

Need to make PR a cauldron of noise and support. Hooge game Satdee.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:23 - Jan 10 with 3189 viewsBobbychase

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:23 - Jan 10 by clive_baker

Need to make PR a cauldron of noise and support. Hooge game Satdee.

Have an extra pint before kick off (unless you're driving). Works for me

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:29 - Jan 10 with 3149 viewsTalkingBlues

Ipswich have always been known as a family club, with a large contingent of kids and old timers at games, which makes it more than a little bit tricky to create an intimidating atmosphere. We would need to make a few supporter loan signings from Millwall, Leeds etc to make PR anything but "friendly and welcoming".

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:37 - Jan 10 with 3053 viewsMetal_Hacker

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:29 - Jan 10 by TalkingBlues

Ipswich have always been known as a family club, with a large contingent of kids and old timers at games, which makes it more than a little bit tricky to create an intimidating atmosphere. We would need to make a few supporter loan signings from Millwall, Leeds etc to make PR anything but "friendly and welcoming".

It does work. Intimidation works

Look at the Sheffield Wednesday game away. I’m certain the officials bottled it and we lost 2 points

Crowd needs to be up for it - wish I could be there

Poll: If it were one or the other

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:37 - Jan 10 with 3052 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is that different to other clubs?

I suspect most home grounds are the same with one section that sings.

It's rare to go to big grounds and say the atmosphere was amazing, and when it is, it's usually a reaction to what's happened on the pitch.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:44 - Jan 10 with 2978 viewsTalkingBlues

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:37 - Jan 10 by Metal_Hacker

It does work. Intimidation works

Look at the Sheffield Wednesday game away. I’m certain the officials bottled it and we lost 2 points

Crowd needs to be up for it - wish I could be there

I have no doubt that an intimidating atmosphere can affect some teams, but equally it can galvanise others. Either way, Ipswich doesn't have a physically intimidating team, or supporters, quite the opposite in fact, we've always been a family club, with family values and I'm glad for it tbh, we do our talking on the pitch, where it should be. I don't think the place will be short of noise, we always produce a good atmosphere at the big games.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:51 - Jan 10 with 2918 viewswrightsrightglove

Agree with this.

I also fully get the reason why the fans are on edge when games are on a knife edge or it looks like we’re potentially going to throw points away. Supporting ITFC has been year upon year of false dawns and let downs and, as much as any rational person can see how different the club is now, that is going to stay in the back of people’s minds for many years to come. ‘This is Ipswich, things will fall apart any minute.’

But yes, we need to start to fully believe now, we need to start to trust the club again, we need to anticipate set backs whilst also understanding that the people in charge now will put them right. Everyone in the stands should be capable of clapping, cheering, getting out of their seats if they can. Not everyone is going to sing all the songs but there’s many other ways to support the team and they fully deserve that now.
Login to get fewer ads

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:53 - Jan 10 with 2889 viewsSharkey

A week or so ago, someone on here suggested that a song by The Adicts should be played at games to get the place jumping , (- and as someone else commented, what's not to like about that?) .

But perhaps the tannoy should also play this, to remind the crowd of Bobby Robson's famous remark about Town's support and shame it into life:

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:53 - Jan 10 with 2874 viewsAlanG296

So if we don't get promoted it's the crowd's fault?
Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 11:19 - Jan 10 with 2688 viewsIllinoisblue

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:53 - Jan 10 by AlanG296

Are you and Chico sharing the big book of hot takes? Deary me

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 11:27 - Jan 10 with 2622 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:53 - Jan 10 by AlanG296

partly.
Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 11:30 - Jan 10 with 2612 viewsBobbychase

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:37 - Jan 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

It's rare to go to big grounds and say the atmosphere was amazing, and when it is, it's usually a reaction to what's happened on the pitch.

I've been to plenty of grounds where all the stands join in. Plymouth is a good example

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 11:38 - Jan 10 with 2554 viewsGuthrum

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:29 - Jan 10 by TalkingBlues

Intimidation doesn't have to be nasty and vitriolic. A solid wall of supportive noise for the home team can be just as effective.

Cheer our own team up - kids, oldsters and all - rather than just throwing jibes at the opposition (which can fire them up anyway).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 11:47 - Jan 10 with 2484 viewsitfcjoe

I was listening to a Football Ramble podcast this morning and they interviewed Neil Warnock, someone asked him which clubs he wished he'd managed and he said he loved Portsmouth, Ipswich and Bristol City and the way the fans get behind the club

Whilst sometimes the fan base could do a lot more, we are also on the flip side not a fan base who drags down the players

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 12:36 - Jan 10 with 2239 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 11:30 - Jan 10 by Bobbychase

I've been to plenty of grounds where all the stands join in. Plymouth is a good example

Thats an example of when the 'big club' of the league is visiting.

I'm sure we would have a good atmosphere if we were playing a bigger club and were the underdogs.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 12:37 - Jan 10 with 2217 viewsBobbychase

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 12:36 - Jan 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Thats an example of when the 'big club' of the league is visiting.

I'm sure we would have a good atmosphere if we were playing a bigger club and were the underdogs.

Maybe, but the point holds about more than one stand joining in. I don't expect they do that just for big games.

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 13:25 - Jan 10 with 2052 viewsRegencyBlue

Goes back to at least Sir Bobbys day. Remember his ‘zombies’ comments after a game in the eighties against Crystal Palace?

Don’t know what the answer is generally but if fans can’t be up for Saturdays game there’s not a lot of hope!
Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 13:37 - Jan 10 with 1975 viewsCoastalblue

Maybe singing less of the songs that some people are not comfortable singing would help over time too. I think it's improved a lot over the years, but there are still things which a lot of pweople are never going to join in singing.

Having said that, we also do ourselves down, we're never going to be a vitriolic bile filled stadium that creates that intimidating cauldron, but we do create a decent noise and atmosphere at times, it gets remarked upon often enough by opposition players. Not saying it couldn't, and probably should be better at the moment.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 13:42 - Jan 10 with 1936 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 12:37 - Jan 10 by Bobbychase

Maybe, but the point holds about more than one stand joining in. I don't expect they do that just for big games.

Maybe.

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 13:49 - Jan 10 with 1884 viewsBecclesITFC

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 10:37 - Jan 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Absolutely. I have to go back to the West Ham playoff fixture to remember a decent atmosphere anywhere. I average about 10 to 12 away fixtures a season!
Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 13:56 - Jan 10 with 1833 viewsGarv

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 13:37 - Jan 10 by Coastalblue

Maybe singing less of the songs that some people are not comfortable singing would help over time too. I think it's improved a lot over the years, but there are still things which a lot of pweople are never going to join in singing.

Having said that, we also do ourselves down, we're never going to be a vitriolic bile filled stadium that creates that intimidating cauldron, but we do create a decent noise and atmosphere at times, it gets remarked upon often enough by opposition players. Not saying it couldn't, and probably should be better at the moment.

Good point.

Even 'We've got super KM.....' is a bit rubbish if we're honest about it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 14:14 - Jan 10 with 1756 viewsTalkingBlues

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 11:38 - Jan 10 by Guthrum

Intimidation doesn't have to be nasty and vitriolic. A solid wall of supportive noise for the home team can be just as effective.

Cheer our own team up - kids, oldsters and all - rather than just throwing jibes at the opposition (which can fire them up anyway).

Agreed. I don't think we'll be quiet, far from it, new signings on display, biggest game of the season to date, I'd imagine it will be very noisy indeed.

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 17:20 - Jan 10 with 1512 viewsBluespeed225

Club have done (are doing) their bit, now over to us on 13:25 - Jan 10 by RegencyBlue

Goes back to at least Sir Bobbys day. Remember his ‘zombies’ comments after a game in the eighties against Crystal Palace?

Don’t know what the answer is generally but if fans can’t be up for Saturdays game there’s not a lot of hope!

Think it was Coventry 1980. It’s a combination of things from the thick ‘Furher Bunker’ type design of the lower North, to the traditional Suffolk malaise in the upper West and Cobbold stands. Just let yourselves go, worry about upsetting your neighbours later.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024