Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travelled in numbers but not in voice 21:53 - Jan 3 with 2555 viewstractorshark

This isn’t meant to be an unpopular post or a dig but, for me, one of the most frustrating things about Monday was how flat our fans were.
Apart from the last 10 minutes, we never got going and if I’m being brutally honest we were outsung by the Lincoln yoof pretty much throughout.
Given our numbers, that really surprised me and you just felt the edginess in the stand.
Yes, the team didn’t play well and didn’t give us much to cheer but there’s obviously another side to that coin.
That’s when the team needs us more than ever. You could see Wolfy trying to rally the fans after Humphreys scored.
Like I say, I’m not having a pop at the fanbase because our travelling support is exceptional, particularly at this level.
And clearly the penalty decision was bonkers, even if KVY was equally as daft.
But it just never felt like a proper away day for me.
We can criticise the players but I think we sometimes underestimate how important a part the fans have to play.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2023 21:55]
Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 21:56 - Jan 3 with 2494 viewsSheffordBlue

It was certainly very different to Pompey where the fans were excellent. Yesterday I thought it was partly because there wasn't a huge amount to get excited with. We were fairly noisy to start off with and then when the game became a bit laboured so did we.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 21:59 - Jan 3 with 2427 viewsSitfcB

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 21:56 - Jan 3 by SheffordBlue

It was certainly very different to Pompey where the fans were excellent. Yesterday I thought it was partly because there wasn't a huge amount to get excited with. We were fairly noisy to start off with and then when the game became a bit laboured so did we.

Lincoln never really been good for atmosphere, it’s not a happy hunting ground.

Sort of a high roof at the front with a big gap and the stand isn’t very ‘deep’ support quiet spread out.

Was a shame the ends were switched at KO, would’ve been better to attack our fans in the second half as per usual, wonder if Lincoln switched because of that?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 22:15 - Jan 3 with 2306 viewsJakeITFC

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 21:59 - Jan 3 by SitfcB

Lincoln never really been good for atmosphere, it’s not a happy hunting ground.

Sort of a high roof at the front with a big gap and the stand isn’t very ‘deep’ support quiet spread out.

Was a shame the ends were switched at KO, would’ve been better to attack our fans in the second half as per usual, wonder if Lincoln switched because of that?

Think we won the toss and switched due to the low sun behind the goal.
Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 22:18 - Jan 3 with 2257 viewsSitfcB

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 22:15 - Jan 3 by JakeITFC

We did think that also, but that disappeared after 5 mins!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 22:21 - Jan 3 with 2227 viewsBluebell

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 22:15 - Jan 3 by JakeITFC

We struggled to see any of the first half from where we were standing. The sun in our eyes was awful and we couldn’t see the goal or the far corner.

We didn’t even know Lincoln had a penalty until the crowd started shouting about it.

It really is one of the worst grounds!
Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 23:12 - Jan 3 with 2015 viewsmattyhollandsirish

Yeah, I thought Wolfy trying to gee us up after the equaliser was quite telling of how at least he thought we were pretty quiet so the other players must feel that too. There's still a large part of our support that expects us to comfortably win every game and won't sing until we're doing so. Why anyone would think this after the last 20 odd years is beyond me, but having big numbers attending is almost a hindrance if we aren't going to make any noise as the nervous tension just spills through to the players. Yes, they are professionals, but they need our full support now, more than ever and I don't really think we're giving them that. Same applies for home games which have been quiet of late.
Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 23:16 - Jan 3 with 1999 viewsIpswich24

I was there too and completely agree with you..2000 fans and there wasn't much atmosphere at all. Think the fans need to step up especially at home. I sit lower North and unless we are winning atmosphere is crap.
We really need to get the whole stadium up for the next league game...

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 00:23 - Jan 4 with 1816 viewsMach_foreignBlue

It isn't a dig. It isn't a pop. Our fans were pathetic yesterday.

It usually isn't that bad but in terms of our fans' performance that has been one of the worst away days for a while.
Login to get fewer ads

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 04:49 - Jan 4 with 1613 viewsWickets

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 00:23 - Jan 4 by Mach_foreignBlue

It isn't a dig. It isn't a pop. Our fans were pathetic yesterday.

It usually isn't that bad but in terms of our fans' performance that has been one of the worst away days for a while.

Could it be that we need to play with a bit more tempo a bit more pace ? so difficult to get exited with such a slow slow build up . Just a thought .
Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 07:52 - Jan 4 with 1242 viewsSteve_M

I didn't go to Lincoln but Wycombe was crap as well, as soon as anything went wrong on the pitch it was all whinging and angst. There's been elements of that at home games too, when the team need a bit of a lift it's not always there.

It's easy to sing when we're winning but "we support the Ipswich if we're down or if we're up" needs to be more than a platitude. There's loads of this season still to play for, fans have their part to play just as much as the players and management team.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Travelled in numbers but not in voice on 08:45 - Jan 4 with 1066 viewsWubbleU

It is not the same 2000 every game. The problem at Lincoln was who travelled. The large percentage were middle aged. Less youngsters = less atmosphere, no ones fault, just a fact of football culture.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024