Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are you sure the problem is in attack? 22:10 - Jan 2 with 4711 viewsBOBD

Goals scored:-

Ipswich 47
Plymouth 46
Wednesday 45
Bristol R 40
Peterborough 39
Exeter 38
Charlton 36
Derby 33
Wycombe 33
Burton 32

Goals conceded:-

Derby 17
Wednesday 18
Bolton 20
Barnsley 21
Cheltenham 25
Fleetwood 25
Ipswich 25
Plymouth 26
Wycombe 26
Oxford 27

Ipswich have kept 9 clean sheets, Plymouth have kept 10 - Wednesday have kept 14 clean sheets!

[Post edited 2 Jan 2023 22:20]
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 22:11 - Jan 2 with 3933 viewsITFC_Forever

It’s at both ends.

Don’t score enough given the dominance we have, McK has said this too.
And we do have a habit of conceding goals we really shouldn’t.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 22:12 - Jan 2 with 3919 viewsBLUEGOLD

It’s at both ends.

With in excess of 70% possession, we should score more & concede less
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 22:13 - Jan 2 with 3888 viewsRIPbobby

I just think it is lack of concentration and a huge amount of bad luck.
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 22:17 - Jan 2 with 3856 viewsBOBD

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 22:12 - Jan 2 by BLUEGOLD

It’s at both ends.

With in excess of 70% possession, we should score more & concede less

Does possession mean more goals should be scored?

This hasn’t been updated since 19 November https://experimental361.com/2022/11/21/expected-goals-table-league-1-19-nov-2022 but at the time 38 goals had been scored against an XG of 37.1. This doesn’t suggest poor finishing is an issue.

Doesn’t every team think they should convert more chances?
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 22:18 - Jan 2 with 3839 viewsBOBD

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 22:13 - Jan 2 by RIPbobby

I just think it is lack of concentration and a huge amount of bad luck.

I think you are kidding yourself about bad luck.

Especially a huge amount of bad luck.
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 22:26 - Jan 2 with 3774 viewsDinDjarin

Imagine if we had to defend without the ball for 60 / 70% of a game.

Pretty sure our goals conceded in relation to possession must be one of the worst.
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 23:31 - Jan 2 with 3600 viewsbournemouthblue

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 22:26 - Jan 2 by DinDjarin

Imagine if we had to defend without the ball for 60 / 70% of a game.

Pretty sure our goals conceded in relation to possession must be one of the worst.

Surely that's an irrelevance in comparison to expected goals versus us though

Less possession often forces teams to go more direct and counter, teams plan for this against us 100%

Our vulnerabilities are long direct balls to the far post, counter attacks and set pieces really

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 23:45 - Jan 2 with 3568 viewsTheBoyBlue

The goals scored is an odd, particularly when the perception is (correctly on days like today which seem to be creeping in far too often) that we are so wasteful in front of goal, but some weeks we seem to score at will such as against MK Dons, Cambridge and Oxford.

We do need to tighten up in defence, but it would take a lot of pressure off them if we could finish more of our chances off and not even that many more.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Login to get fewer ads

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 00:22 - Jan 3 with 3492 viewsgainsboroughblue

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 23:45 - Jan 2 by TheBoyBlue

The goals scored is an odd, particularly when the perception is (correctly on days like today which seem to be creeping in far too often) that we are so wasteful in front of goal, but some weeks we seem to score at will such as against MK Dons, Cambridge and Oxford.

We do need to tighten up in defence, but it would take a lot of pressure off them if we could finish more of our chances off and not even that many more.

It is odd. It's almost as if we are often scoring more than we need to win. For instance, we have won 3-0 on 4 occasions. If we were to give up a goal from each of these games and add it to today, Pompey the other night and one or two others, suddenly we are 8 points better off.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 06:49 - Jan 3 with 3206 viewsdissboy2

yes I am
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 08:16 - Jan 3 with 3020 viewsBOBD

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 00:22 - Jan 3 by gainsboroughblue

It is odd. It's almost as if we are often scoring more than we need to win. For instance, we have won 3-0 on 4 occasions. If we were to give up a goal from each of these games and add it to today, Pompey the other night and one or two others, suddenly we are 8 points better off.

Ipswich have scored 1.88 goals for every goal conceded.

Wednesday have scored 2.5 goals for every goal conceded.

Therefore, logically, they are scoring more goals needed to win on a more regular basis than Ipswich are.
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 09:04 - Jan 3 with 2889 viewsDJR

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 08:16 - Jan 3 by BOBD

Ipswich have scored 1.88 goals for every goal conceded.

Wednesday have scored 2.5 goals for every goal conceded.

Therefore, logically, they are scoring more goals needed to win on a more regular basis than Ipswich are.

But Plymouth have only scored 1.77 goals per goal conceded.
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 09:12 - Jan 3 with 2849 viewsDubtractor

Yes I am.

Looking at overall goals is a bit too simplistic.

In games where teams set a a low black (I'm so bored of hearing that term!) we really struggle to break them down, and that is all about how we attack, and the attacking players we have. It's great scoring 3 at home to Oxford, but if we then go and struggle to break down 10 men at Lincoln (or 11 against them at home), you're still going to struggle to win enough games.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 09:14 - Jan 3 with 2844 viewsnodge_blue

A couple of years back I posted on here that we needed to drastically up our shots per game. I suggested we needed about 17 shots each game. I got a few that said that number was ridiculously high.

But now we are often getting 20. We should be scoring 3 or goals far more often than we do. Which would negate the opposition scoring the odd goal.

Yes the problem is still with a goal scorer lacking.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 09:57 - Jan 3 with 2754 viewsBOBD

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 09:12 - Jan 3 by Dubtractor

Yes I am.

Looking at overall goals is a bit too simplistic.

In games where teams set a a low black (I'm so bored of hearing that term!) we really struggle to break them down, and that is all about how we attack, and the attacking players we have. It's great scoring 3 at home to Oxford, but if we then go and struggle to break down 10 men at Lincoln (or 11 against them at home), you're still going to struggle to win enough games.

Ipswich have only failed to score once and lost that match.

Ipswich have scored 1 goal in 7 matches and got 10 points.

Wednesday have failed to score on four occasions but got 2 points.

Wednesday have only scored 1 goal in 9 matches but got 18 points from those matches.

On the 12 occasions Wednesday have scored 2 or more goals, they’ve only dropped 4 points.

Ipswich have managed to drop 8 points from matches where 2 goals or more have been scored!

Ipswich supporters can keep kidding themselves that goalscoring is the problem but all the stats indicate the problem is a soft underbelly. Not enough clean sheets and too many points dropped when enough goals to win the match have been scored.
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:20 - Jan 14 with 2278 viewsBOBD

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 09:57 - Jan 3 by BOBD

Ipswich have only failed to score once and lost that match.

Ipswich have scored 1 goal in 7 matches and got 10 points.

Wednesday have failed to score on four occasions but got 2 points.

Wednesday have only scored 1 goal in 9 matches but got 18 points from those matches.

On the 12 occasions Wednesday have scored 2 or more goals, they’ve only dropped 4 points.

Ipswich have managed to drop 8 points from matches where 2 goals or more have been scored!

Ipswich supporters can keep kidding themselves that goalscoring is the problem but all the stats indicate the problem is a soft underbelly. Not enough clean sheets and too many points dropped when enough goals to win the match have been scored.

Another clean sheet for Wednesday.

Another 1-0 away win for Wednesday.

Another equaliser against Ipswich.

Defence is the problem for Ipswich not attack. Wednesday can grind out ugly victories, Ipswich cannot.
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:29 - Jan 14 with 2198 viewsRyorry

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:20 - Jan 14 by BOBD

Defence is the problem for Ipswich not attack. Wednesday can grind out ugly victories, Ipswich cannot.

It's our lack of *winning* goals that's the problem.

As in too many draws.

Winning 4-0 is lovely for GD, but we'd be better off with the 'surplus' 3 goals resulting in 3 x 2-1 wins instead of 3 x 1-1 or 0-0 draws.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 18:30]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:30 - Jan 14 with 2180 viewsTalkingBlues

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:20 - Jan 14 by BOBD

Plymouth have scored a goal less than us, conceded a goal more than us, but are 7 points clear of us in the table, go figure.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:32 - Jan 14 with 2156 viewspositivity

we've scored more than plymouth, so it's not really the attack

we've conceded less than plymouth, so it's not really the defence either

just fine margins and a little improvement needed, hopefully hirst and broadhead can give us that

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:34 - Jan 14 with 2140 viewsFrimleyBlue

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:32 - Jan 14 by positivity

we've scored more than plymouth, so it's not really the attack

we've conceded less than plymouth, so it's not really the defence either

just fine margins and a little improvement needed, hopefully hirst and broadhead can give us that

It's just so simple. Game management.

It's up to the highly paid manager to figure out how to do it. He's had financial support. He's got what he wants. Time to achieve it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:53 - Jan 14 with 2080 viewsBOBD

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:29 - Jan 14 by Ryorry

It's our lack of *winning* goals that's the problem.

As in too many draws.

Winning 4-0 is lovely for GD, but we'd be better off with the 'surplus' 3 goals resulting in 3 x 2-1 wins instead of 3 x 1-1 or 0-0 draws.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 18:30]

Ipswich have scored one or less goals on only 9 occasions.

Only 11 points from those 9 matches.

Wednesday have scored one or less goal on 14 occasions!

But amassed 24 points. Wednesday keep clean sheets!

It’s the defence that will be costly, more than enough goals scored as would be suggested by being the top scorers in the division.
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 19:53 - Jan 14 with 1984 viewsITFC_Forever

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 22:11 - Jan 2 by ITFC_Forever

It’s at both ends.

Don’t score enough given the dominance we have, McK has said this too.
And we do have a habit of conceding goals we really shouldn’t.

And repeat.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 19:57 - Jan 14 with 1966 viewspointofblue

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 18:53 - Jan 14 by BOBD

Ipswich have scored one or less goals on only 9 occasions.

Only 11 points from those 9 matches.

Wednesday have scored one or less goal on 14 occasions!

But amassed 24 points. Wednesday keep clean sheets!

It’s the defence that will be costly, more than enough goals scored as would be suggested by being the top scorers in the division.

I think it's down to the tactical approach rather than the players, though. Perhaps we can bring in an upgrade on Burgess?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 21:45 - Jan 14 with 1841 viewsDJR

I don't the issue in defence is with Donacien, Woolfy and Burgess, it is the players outside or in front of them who seem to me to be the problem because they have a habit of not picking up, or closing down, their man. Today was a case in point because Mumba received the ball but neither Humphreys or Davis were close to him.

The impression I get is that some of our players ball watch a bit too much, when they need to be much more aware of the opposition players around them.
Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 21:55 - Jan 14 with 1813 viewsFrimleyBlue

Are you sure the problem is in attack? on 21:45 - Jan 14 by DJR

I don't the issue in defence is with Donacien, Woolfy and Burgess, it is the players outside or in front of them who seem to me to be the problem because they have a habit of not picking up, or closing down, their man. Today was a case in point because Mumba received the ball but neither Humphreys or Davis were close to him.

The impression I get is that some of our players ball watch a bit too much, when they need to be much more aware of the opposition players around them.

Problem you have when bringing Humphreys onto that left side is you are asking a 19 year old to work with an inexperienced lB. Neither owned that side of the pitch in the latter stages.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024