Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A12/A14 traffic lights 22:40 - Dec 26 with 3728 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

I've been a bit of an idiot. Coming home tonight from Stowmarket towards Colchester, I was disconcerted with no traffic being around and inadvertently jumped the first red light. My family started shouting at me which got me stressed, they then said I jumped a second one as well.

I'm fully expecting a fine in the post, does anyone know if there are cameras on each traffic light, and what the fine is likely to be?

I hold my hands up I was totally in the wrong. I'm disappointed in myself because I'm usually a very good driver, this was a genuine mistake.
A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:42 - Dec 26 with 3672 viewsGeoffSentence

Not certain, btut I don't think there are. At busy times plenty of people deliberately jump red lights at that junction.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:43 - Dec 26 with 3656 viewsFixed_It

Maybe you should change your username to RedAmberAndGREEN?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:46 - Dec 26 with 3625 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:43 - Dec 26 by Fixed_It

Maybe you should change your username to RedAmberAndGREEN?

Don't rub it in! 🙂
A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:49 - Dec 26 with 3602 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:42 - Dec 26 by GeoffSentence

Not certain, btut I don't think there are. At busy times plenty of people deliberately jump red lights at that junction.

Thanks. As I said, I'm surprised I did it, I've been across that roundabout hundreds of times. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it, but concerned because I need my car for my job. Only three penalty points in 35 years up to now.
A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:49 - Dec 26 with 3599 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Mistakes happen. Sometimes they are costly and sometimes they are not.

If no fine comes through the post, be thankful and appreciate you have learnt from the experience.

If one does come through, be thankful that you can pay it (I trust you can) and appreciate you have learnt from the experience.

Either way, be thankful that a momentary lapse in concentration didn't end up with anything more serious and far more costly.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:55 - Dec 26 with 3576 viewsTrequartista

You'll be fine, I don't think there are any red light cameras in Suffolk.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:58 - Dec 26 with 3523 viewsGeoffSentence

A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:49 - Dec 26 by RedWhiteAndBLUE

Thanks. As I said, I'm surprised I did it, I've been across that roundabout hundreds of times. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it, but concerned because I need my car for my job. Only three penalty points in 35 years up to now.

It can be pretty diconcerting, try not to let it bother you.

For what it's worth there's nothing that looks like these at that junction.

https://gocamtech.com/what-do-red-light-cameras-look-like-uk/

A quick review on google street view would probably be re-assuring.

A12/A14 traffic lights on 23:02 - Dec 26 with 3481 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A while ago, I went to Newbury Park underground and the light at the junction to turn right was stuck on red. I eventually (after a couple of changes and traffic building up behind me) went through it when I predicted nothing should be coming the other way. I was sure I would get a fine through the post that I would have to contest and explain why but nothing materialised.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

A12/A14 traffic lights on 23:09 - Dec 26 with 3445 viewsFreddies_Ears

A12/A14 traffic lights on 23:02 - Dec 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

A while ago, I went to Newbury Park underground and the light at the junction to turn right was stuck on red. I eventually (after a couple of changes and traffic building up behind me) went through it when I predicted nothing should be coming the other way. I was sure I would get a fine through the post that I would have to contest and explain why but nothing materialised.

Ah. That one does change, eventually, but it is easy to assume it won't!!!!!
A12/A14 traffic lights on 23:12 - Dec 26 with 3415 viewsSitfcB

No, no cameras at all, you’ll be ok.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

A12/A14 traffic lights on 23:13 - Dec 26 with 3410 viewsSitfcB

A12/A14 traffic lights on 23:02 - Dec 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yes been there done that, we were sat there for ages behind two cars and they wouldn’t budge, gave a few beeps and we all ‘jumped’ it.

COYB

A12/A14 traffic lights on 23:42 - Dec 26 with 3290 viewsTangledupin_Blue

A12/A14 traffic lights on 22:49 - Dec 26 by RedWhiteAndBLUE

With that record, as long as your previous 3-point offence wasn't recent, then even if you were caught on camera, they would probably offer a driver awareness course. If you accept the course then you don't get more points.1

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

A12/A14 traffic lights on 09:08 - Dec 27 with 2829 viewsPSGBlue

I would be surprised to see any cameras outside town or city centres. I am sûre if something had been coming you would have registered the lights. Easily done, you won’t do it again!
A12/A14 traffic lights on 09:28 - Dec 27 with 2778 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

A12/A14 traffic lights on 09:08 - Dec 27 by PSGBlue

I would be surprised to see any cameras outside town or city centres. I am sûre if something had been coming you would have registered the lights. Easily done, you won’t do it again!

Thanks everyone, that's reassuring. It's the points on the licence I'm concerned with, I really need a clean licence for my job, as I need to show a good example. I'm sure i won't do that again! 🙂
A12/A14 traffic lights on 10:21 - Dec 27 with 2670 viewsElephantintheRoom

A few years ago I was returning my mother to Suffolk in the dead of night after the Xmas break and inadvertently tripped the speed camera at the A12 Aldeburgh junction on an empty road at 2am I decided to return to Elephant Towers via Stowmarket in case I made the same mistake and inadvertently triggered the speed camera on the Stomarket road next to the A14. At the subsequent speed awareness course I took, there was a question ‘how many fixed penalty cameras are there on the roads in Suffolk? 2,000….200 … or 2. The correct answer was 2. If nothing much has changed you should be alright.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A12/A14 traffic lights on 10:35 - Dec 27 with 2625 viewsbluelagos

A12/A14 traffic lights on 10:21 - Dec 27 by ElephantintheRoom

A few years ago I was returning my mother to Suffolk in the dead of night after the Xmas break and inadvertently tripped the speed camera at the A12 Aldeburgh junction on an empty road at 2am I decided to return to Elephant Towers via Stowmarket in case I made the same mistake and inadvertently triggered the speed camera on the Stomarket road next to the A14. At the subsequent speed awareness course I took, there was a question ‘how many fixed penalty cameras are there on the roads in Suffolk? 2,000….200 … or 2. The correct answer was 2. If nothing much has changed you should be alright.

There are some average speedos around. A14 Orwell bridge and A12 Essex/Suffolk border. A12 are front facers so won't catch motorbikers, and A14 seems to have one that is rear facing so not sure if bikers get tickets too (not heard of any but my riding buddies are generally law abiding)

Fixed ones - as well the A12 Aldeburgh I know there's one on the A14/A11 Newmarket - not sure what county that's in.

Not sure how accurate this is (Doesn't seem to have the average speedos on) - Colchester defo a lot more camera'd up than Ipswich.
https://www.speedcameramap.co.uk/

There's also camera vans that are regularly left in village locations. A137 Brantham and Cattawade sometimes see them.

And of course Suffolk's finest will on occasion be on the lookout for speeders. Probably the most cameras I've seen will be on a summer's weekend in/around Finchingfield, a biker hotspot and lots of residents constantly moaning about them.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A12/A14 traffic lights on 13:17 - Dec 27 with 2492 viewsSitfcB

A12/A14 traffic lights on 10:35 - Dec 27 by bluelagos

There are some average speedos around. A14 Orwell bridge and A12 Essex/Suffolk border. A12 are front facers so won't catch motorbikers, and A14 seems to have one that is rear facing so not sure if bikers get tickets too (not heard of any but my riding buddies are generally law abiding)

Fixed ones - as well the A12 Aldeburgh I know there's one on the A14/A11 Newmarket - not sure what county that's in.

Not sure how accurate this is (Doesn't seem to have the average speedos on) - Colchester defo a lot more camera'd up than Ipswich.

There's also camera vans that are regularly left in village locations. A137 Brantham and Cattawade sometimes see them.

And of course Suffolk's finest will on occasion be on the lookout for speeders. Probably the most cameras I've seen will be on a summer's weekend in/around Finchingfield, a biker hotspot and lots of residents constantly moaning about them.

The one on the A14/A11 doesn’t work and hasn’t for years.

COYB

A12/A14 traffic lights on 13:28 - Dec 27 with 2460 viewsbournemouthblue

Essex seems to be far keener on speed cameras

Suffolk Police use the camera van and occasionally park the Sentinel cars in exit roads

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

A12/A14 traffic lights on 13:35 - Dec 27 with 2445 viewsbrazil1981

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/sites/suffolk/files/003673-19_-_speed_cameras.pdf

In Nov 2019, there were no traffic light cameras in Norfolk or Suffolk. Haven’t seen anything since to the contrary!
A12/A14 traffic lights on 16:42 - Dec 27 with 2280 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

I know what you mean, we're in Braintree so very familiar with the policing in Finchingfield!
A12/A14 traffic lights on 17:31 - Dec 27 with 2220 viewsSharkey

A12/A14 traffic lights on 23:09 - Dec 26 by Freddies_Ears

Ah. That one does change, eventually, but it is easy to assume it won't!!!!!

I wonder if one day (some) red lights will count down to when they're going to change, like they do for pedestrians in some cities. Especially in places where the lights are extremely biased against traffic from one direction. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't be an improvement.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2022 17:31]
A12/A14 traffic lights on 17:54 - Dec 27 with 2144 viewsjeera

A12/A14 traffic lights on 17:31 - Dec 27 by Sharkey

I wonder if one day (some) red lights will count down to when they're going to change, like they do for pedestrians in some cities. Especially in places where the lights are extremely biased against traffic from one direction. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't be an improvement.

Maybe some sort of colour system?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A12/A14 traffic lights on 18:21 - Dec 27 with 2100 viewsGeoffSentence

A12/A14 traffic lights on 17:31 - Dec 27 by Sharkey

On a slight tangent, I think there is no chance of driverless cars ever becoming a thing when we can't even get traffic lights beyond the dumbest of dumb levels.

Why we can't get a few minor boffins to work on knowing how much traffic there is and letting it through accordingly I will never know. Sitting, waiting at a red traffic light in the middle of the night when there is no other traffic coming in any direction is a matter of great frustation.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024