Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you became PM what would you do?? 19:48 - Dec 20 with 10697 viewsKeno

Me

1, scrap trident and save something like £20billion
2, undo the feck up that is Brexit
3, guarantee nurses etc pay of inflation plus at least 1% every yesr
4, make the use of extendable dog leads and those long training leads a criminal offence
5, reform income tax to a single charge (eg scrap ni)band bring in a higher rate
6, ban sports teams playing in green and yellow
7, allow Irish unity
8, reduce the royals to immediate and heirs making them effectively tax paying staff
9, cut down property and wealth of churches, to create “charity funds” for poor and needy - which is what the f4cking churches should be all about anyway
10, ban Piers Morgan and Nigel Farrage (I not sure I could sanction acts of countryside)

What you got TWTD?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

If you became PM what would you do?? on 13:05 - Dec 21 with 1648 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you became PM what would you do?? on 08:15 - Dec 21 by gazzer1999

1p on income tax? good luck with that. We had 1p on N.I. which initially was going on the NHS and then onto social care, and everyone complained. Trouble is everyone wants more for nothing but are unwilling to pay for it.

Didn't "education, education, education" come with a 1p on Income Tax proviso and win a General Election? Tax cuts lost Truss power.

The idea that "everyone wants more for nothing but are unwilling to pay for it" isn't quite true.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

If you became PM what would you do?? on 13:21 - Dec 21 with 1610 viewsChurchman

If you became PM what would you do?? on 09:31 - Dec 21 by meekreech

I would make it a legal condition for all employees in the public sector to have their pay capped at the same level as the prime minister. This would also apply to the union leadership.
As the position of prime minister is supposed to be the most important position in the country it makes sense that no one should be paid more from the public purse.

Good idea!

Around 10 years ago, the highest paid person in HMRC was on £249k. And he wasn’t the head of HMRC either. There is no way anyone in the public sector should be paid more than the PM.

I also agree with the point that no MPs should have second jobs, but would add that nobody should be eligible to be an MP unless they’ve had a non-political job for 10 years.

Watching well scrubbed, smug idiots like Oliver Dowden (personal wealth £4m) sneer at people striking for a living wage when he’s never had a real job in his life is nauseating.
If you became PM what would you do?? on 13:26 - Dec 21 with 1578 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you became PM what would you do?? on 09:31 - Dec 21 by meekreech

I would make it a legal condition for all employees in the public sector to have their pay capped at the same level as the prime minister. This would also apply to the union leadership.
As the position of prime minister is supposed to be the most important position in the country it makes sense that no one should be paid more from the public purse.

Why stick to the public sector? Why does anyone need to earn more than the PM?

Of course, that would have serious repercussions for the football leagues - either that or they would all get round the legislation using bonuses, dividends, etc.

If you became PM what would you do?? on 13:31 - Dec 21 with 1565 viewsleitrimblue

If you became PM what would you do?? on 13:44 - Dec 21 with 1528 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you became PM what would you do?? on 13:31 - Dec 21 by leitrimblue

Is that the origin of the phrase "what a load of tosh"?

If you became PM what would you do?? on 13:51 - Dec 21 with 1509 viewsleitrimblue

If you became PM what would you do?? on 13:44 - Dec 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Is that the origin of the phrase "what a load of tosh"?

Pretty sure Peter never smokes Tosh
If you became PM what would you do?? on 14:01 - Dec 21 with 1495 viewsClapham_Junction

A few things off the top of my head:

Democracy
- Introduce open list proportional representation with constituncies based on county boundaries. Also include levelling seats that correct imbalances in seat distribution, with a national electoral threshold of 1%
- Reintroduce the AV system for mayoral elections
- Scrap PCCs and regional mayors
- Ban donations and make membership fees the only legal source of income for political parties. To make up for loss of income, before elections, local authorities would produce a booklet that is delivered to all homes with space for all candidates/parties to make their case
- Abolish the House of Lords and give parliamentary committees scutiny/amendment powers
- Make the UK a properly federal state, with each nation having the same level of delegated powers and the right to hold independence referendums
- Make British overseas territories and Crown dependencies federal entities of the UK (with equalisation funding mechanisms to make up for loss of tax haven income)
- Produce a written constitition

Education
- Ban private education
- Deacademise the school system and bring all schools back under LEA control
- Abolish university tuition fees

Housing
- Abolish RTB and require ex-council flat leaseholders to sell their flats back to the council when they want to sell
- Introduce a scheme for people to transfer ownership of their home to councils when at risk of reposession
- Introduce a national landlord register and rent caps
- Make it a legal requirement for local authorities to house all homeless people
- Ban BTL mortgages
- Create a registration system for Airbnb lets (so Airbnb will only allow registered properties on their system)
- Require all new homes to meet Passivhaus standards and have a roof fully covered in solar PV
- Launch a proper street-by-street insulation and decarbonisation programme, focussing on the most deprived areas first

Transport
- Re-regulate the bus system
- Properly fund public transport (including funding tram-building programmes)
- Introduce a nationwide car club scheme where cars can be picked up and dropped off anywhere

Tax
- Tax all forms of income at the same rate

Waste
- Ban non-recyclable packaging
- Introduce a national standard recycling system
- Introduce a proper reuse system (like Kierrätyskeskus in Finland)
If you became PM what would you do?? on 14:34 - Dec 21 with 1444 viewsjeera

If you became PM what would you do?? on 13:05 - Dec 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Didn't "education, education, education" come with a 1p on Income Tax proviso and win a General Election? Tax cuts lost Truss power.

The idea that "everyone wants more for nothing but are unwilling to pay for it" isn't quite true.

Of course it's not true. It's the sort of thing people say when they have run out of ideas.

Generally people want value for money.

Although before increasing taxes I would like to first like to see a thorough rundown of where the every pound of existing expenditure goes, complete with no exceptions.

Only then will we know if further taxation is required.

It's not good when these wasters keep throwing it away in spades with nothing to show for it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

If you became PM what would you do?? on 15:49 - Dec 21 with 1387 viewsgazzer1999

If you became PM what would you do?? on 13:05 - Dec 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Only they didn't put 1p on tax, they increased N.I. which was Browns way of saying he did not raise tax rates until 6 months before he left office in 2010 when he raised the top rate from 40 to 45p. The NHS is not free if you are a tax payer, we all contribute just the top end pay the most and are less likely to use it and go private. I still think the 1% on N.I. should have stayed, we will all need social care at some point in life so not unreasonable. However Starmer said he would have got rid of the increase so who the hell do you trust these days? Maybe the NHS should be free from political influence so it cannot be used every five years as political football. More people using it including social care we will all need to stump up and pay, something as a modest earner am happy to pay.
As a side note would you be happy to pay more tax for NHS services knowing that all the increase would only go in salaries and not in more doctors and nursing staff?
If you became PM what would you do?? on 16:18 - Dec 21 with 1363 viewsFrimleyBlue

Protect nature and reject a sht load of planning applications looking to build 150 ft high tower blocks.

Reject all application to remove grass in front gardens to make room for a driveway (- unless on a main road)

Reverse brexit

Mandate any new builds to have solar panels installed and actually have back gardens bigger than a kitchen

Govern what can and can't be spread via the media. Dint care if that's censorship. But media imo is the route to all evil.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

If you became PM what would you do?? on 16:25 - Dec 21 with 1338 viewshype313

Rejoin the EU
Cancel HS2

With both of those we could easily give our Public Sector workers a decent pay rise and stop this abhorrent treatment.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

If you became PM what would you do?? on 17:24 - Dec 21 with 1291 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Reduced the legal status of psilocybin so that researchers into its use for mental health (including anxiety, depression, alcoholism etc) can readily obtain it with impunity. And further, provide funding for those studies.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

If you became PM what would you do?? on 17:27 - Dec 21 with 1287 viewsXYZ

Immediately resign.

I wouldn't want to be associated with a country that could make such a catastrophic error of judgement.
If you became PM what would you do?? on 17:40 - Dec 21 with 1255 viewsbluelagos

If you became PM what would you do?? on 16:18 - Dec 21 by FrimleyBlue

Protect nature and reject a sht load of planning applications looking to build 150 ft high tower blocks.

Reject all application to remove grass in front gardens to make room for a driveway (- unless on a main road)

Reverse brexit

Mandate any new builds to have solar panels installed and actually have back gardens bigger than a kitchen

Govern what can and can't be spread via the media. Dint care if that's censorship. But media imo is the route to all evil.

"Mandate any new builds to have solar panels installed"

I'd add something about ensuring roofs on new builds face the right way (for the solar panels) - as some houses have roofs that go front to back and others side to side, I don't think it would even make that much difference to house builders tbh.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

If you became PM what would you do?? on 17:47 - Dec 21 with 1214 viewsHARRY10

If you became PM what would you do?? on 17:27 - Dec 21 by XYZ

Immediately resign.

I wouldn't want to be associated with a country that could make such a catastrophic error of judgement.

"a catastrophic error of judgement. "

or mistake, as was
If you became PM what would you do?? on 18:14 - Dec 21 with 1186 viewsStevieH

As soon as I read ‘scrap trident’ it made me think of this brilliant sitcom which is still incredibly relevant, thus showing that very little has changed in the last 40 yrs

If you became PM what would you do?? on 18:40 - Dec 21 with 1131 viewsRimsy

1. Give the Scots their referendum.
2. Privatise aspects of the nhs. It's a basket case as it is with monumental waste. Let private companies run departments for a set fee from the government. Still free at point of use but they would be incentivized to make it work within the budget. You can't just keep throwing extra billions with no improvement.
3. Force gp's to offer face to face appointments again.
4. Give Nigel Farage a Knighthood.
5. Get the Rwandan initiative up and running.

BlueBlood

If you became PM what would you do?? on 18:43 - Dec 21 with 1118 viewsEly_Blue

If you became PM what would you do?? on 20:02 - Dec 20 by J2BLUE

Nationalise water, energy, rail travel and the Royal Mail.

Find a way to effectively stop companies moving to tax havens to avoid tax. Tax Amazon, Starbucks etc fairly by closing loopholes. If the sale was in the UK, you pay tax on it.

A proper study on UBI involving the entire nation

Ban second jobs for MPs

Ban anyone who has been an MP from entering the House of Lords and have a referendum on the House of Lords continuing to exist

Try to negotiate in secret with the EU to offer us one last chance of coming back on the terms we had. If they agree, referendum 2.0.

Grant Scotland their referendum.

Pass a law that any employee has the right to not work on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and Easter Friday to Monday.

Up the minimum paid time off for full time employees to 26 days + bank holidays.

Build council homes

Pass a law making flexible working mandatory for jobs which can accommodate it.

Strongly encourage a 4 day work week with some sort of tax incentive to businesses who agree.

Invest more in mental health

Free breakfast and lunch for all kids at school if they want it.

And much more.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2022 20:03]

Would love to see how you’d fund all of that once the tax dodging companies decide to withdraw their businesses from the uk, there’s you extra tax revenue gone!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

If you became PM what would you do?? on 18:45 - Dec 21 with 1114 viewsnoggin

If you became PM what would you do?? on 18:43 - Dec 21 by Ely_Blue

Would love to see how you’d fund all of that once the tax dodging companies decide to withdraw their businesses from the uk, there’s you extra tax revenue gone!

Tell us you're a tory without mentioning tories.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

If you became PM what would you do?? on 18:49 - Dec 21 with 1111 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you became PM what would you do?? on 15:49 - Dec 21 by gazzer1999

Only they didn't put 1p on tax, they increased N.I. which was Browns way of saying he did not raise tax rates until 6 months before he left office in 2010 when he raised the top rate from 40 to 45p. The NHS is not free if you are a tax payer, we all contribute just the top end pay the most and are less likely to use it and go private. I still think the 1% on N.I. should have stayed, we will all need social care at some point in life so not unreasonable. However Starmer said he would have got rid of the increase so who the hell do you trust these days? Maybe the NHS should be free from political influence so it cannot be used every five years as political football. More people using it including social care we will all need to stump up and pay, something as a modest earner am happy to pay.
As a side note would you be happy to pay more tax for NHS services knowing that all the increase would only go in salaries and not in more doctors and nursing staff?

Yes, I would.

More money on salaries would increase staffing as currently there is far too much of a reliance on agency staff, mainly because terms and conditions are far too unattractive for retention and recruitment. The same is true in other public services.

Ultimately, I would rather pay more tax for better public services. Despite higher earners frequently paying for the benefits of the private sector, there are many reasons why they should still pay more:

They benefit from the wider benefit to society of good public services. They all have relatives, friends, fellow workers, etc etc. as well their own direct benefits.

Those who have more money can afford to pay more and benefit more from a society that works well. If public transport works, their private roads are less congested and the infrastructure works better for them. The idea that the rich do not benefit from public services is a fallacy. The richest currently make money from profits made through public services too. It is these benefits that are going up by far higher percentages than workers' wages too.

If you became PM what would you do?? on 18:56 - Dec 21 with 1073 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you became PM what would you do?? on 18:40 - Dec 21 by Rimsy

1. Give the Scots their referendum.
2. Privatise aspects of the nhs. It's a basket case as it is with monumental waste. Let private companies run departments for a set fee from the government. Still free at point of use but they would be incentivized to make it work within the budget. You can't just keep throwing extra billions with no improvement.
3. Force gp's to offer face to face appointments again.
4. Give Nigel Farage a Knighthood.
5. Get the Rwandan initiative up and running.

You do realise that number 2 is a long-term expense as the only difference is that you are paying out a profit to a private provider ... unless you are also cutting the quality of care provided?

If there is inefficiency in provision, that can be improved without paying a profit margin to a private provider to incentivise them to do so.

For number 3, the issue is we don't have enough GPs. You cannot force them to do something they haven't got the capacity to do. You need to invest in training and employing more!

I would imagine Farage is about right for a knighthood. He would fit in well.

I would quite like to see you on the first flight to a Rwandan processing centre.

If you became PM what would you do?? on 19:01 - Dec 21 with 1058 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you became PM what would you do?? on 18:43 - Dec 21 by Ely_Blue

Those tax-dodging companies will enjoy losing their UK profits while they are replaced with UK-based companies paying their taxes. Win-win I say.

If you became PM what would you do?? on 19:07 - Dec 21 with 1045 viewsEly_Blue

If you became PM what would you do?? on 18:45 - Dec 21 by noggin

Tell us you're a tory without mentioning tories.

Tell us you’ll label everyone a Tory who gives a reasoned reply without telling us that

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

If you became PM what would you do?? on 19:17 - Dec 21 with 1036 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I'm torn between a complete re-structuring of society so that our country works for all of its citizens and ...

... compulsory battenburg for all residents of Ixworth and environs.

it's a tough one.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

If you became PM what would you do?? on 19:18 - Dec 21 with 1036 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

The biggest cause of demise in society is the enormous wealth gap. So I would effectively introduce a pay cap, by introducing a 100% tax rate on anyone earning more than £10M a year. Tax rates should be something like:
Up to £12.5 zero
£12.5k - £25k 10%
£25k - £50k 22%
£50k - £100k 40%
£100k -£150k 45%
£150k - £250k 50%
£250k -£1M 55%
£1M - £3M 65%
£3M - £5M 75%
£5M - £10M 85%
£10M+ 100%

Imprison the executives of companies who cause severe pollution.
Bring back the cones hotline.
Mandatory solar panels on new builds
Grants to improve insulation on homes
And have local volunteers to police pavements and report people who let their hedges encroach across the pavement, serving them with notices to have their hedge cut back.

Poll: would you rather

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024