Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 10:14 - Nov 9 with 2007 viewsSitfcB

Anyone know what happened with him?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 10:20 - Nov 9 with 1970 viewsPJH

Not much after 1958.

Just won a second division title medal in 1960/61 and a League title medal the next year, then he had a Post Office.
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 10:27 - Nov 9 with 1948 viewsPhilTWTD

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 10:20 - Nov 9 by PJH

Not much after 1958.

Just won a second division title medal in 1960/61 and a League title medal the next year, then he had a Post Office.

And he did a TWTD interview.

TWTD Replayed - John Elsworthy Interview 28th Apr 2022 15:12
Today marks the 60th anniversary of the Blues sealing the 1961/62 League Championship title so as part of TWTD’s tribute to that great team and that famous season, here’s our 2002 interview with John Elsworthy, who played at half-back in Sir Alf Ramsey’s side. 0

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 11:25 - Nov 9 with 1879 viewsPJH

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 10:27 - Nov 9 by PhilTWTD

And he did a TWTD interview.

TWTD Replayed - John Elsworthy Interview 28th Apr 2022 15:12
Today marks the 60th anniversary of the Blues sealing the 1961/62 League Championship title so as part of TWTD’s tribute to that great team and that famous season, here’s our 2002 interview with John Elsworthy, who played at half-back in Sir Alf Ramsey’s side. 0

Oh yes, and that.
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 11:55 - Nov 9 with 1827 viewsGeoffSentence

Lost his place to a WAG (more correctly a Wife OR Girlfriend ), lets hope Burns has more luck.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 12:01 - Nov 9 with 1808 viewsMattinLondon

Not much after 1958.

He ran the post office on Felixstowe Road. I was very young but I remember him being very imposing and he just have been in his late 60s. Thinking back he must have been an absolute colossus of a player when in his twenties.

He was a lovely gent and always asked me about football - always reminded me to respect to ref and the opposition. A lovely and charming gentleman.
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 12:09 - Nov 9 with 1803 viewsPJH

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 12:01 - Nov 9 by MattinLondon

He ran the post office on Felixstowe Road. I was very young but I remember him being very imposing and he just have been in his late 60s. Thinking back he must have been an absolute colossus of a player when in his twenties.

He was a lovely gent and always asked me about football - always reminded me to respect to ref and the opposition. A lovely and charming gentleman.

He was, I guess, about 6' 2" maybe 6' 3"

From team photos, he was taller than Roy Bailey and Andy Nelson and they must both have been 6'
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 16:48 - Nov 9 with 1649 viewsRoyal_Blue

My Dad played golf with him at Purdis. His son, Martin was a pro golfer. John took me as a guest in the Director's box to one game.
I never saw it, but apparently he had a Man U v Ipswich programme signed by all United players just before Munich.
A lovely gentle giant, sadly passed several years ago.
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 16:52 - Nov 9 with 1639 viewsPhilTWTD

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 16:48 - Nov 9 by Royal_Blue

My Dad played golf with him at Purdis. His son, Martin was a pro golfer. John took me as a guest in the Director's box to one game.
I never saw it, but apparently he had a Man U v Ipswich programme signed by all United players just before Munich.
A lovely gentle giant, sadly passed several years ago.

I've seen a notebook that another player handed round the Man U dressing room that day. Think we were the last British side to play them before the disaster.

He was indeed a gentle giant, loved listening to him talking about Alf and his team.
Login to get fewer ads

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 17:04 - Nov 9 with 1614 viewsmonty_radio

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 12:01 - Nov 9 by MattinLondon

EDIT: via Phil

Felixstowe rd
then
Foxhall Rd, - by the Heath Rd / Bixley Rd roundabout.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2022 21:17]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 18:38 - Nov 9 with 1557 viewsPhilTWTD

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 16:52 - Nov 9 by PhilTWTD

I've seen a notebook that another player handed round the Man U dressing room that day. Think we were the last British side to play them before the disaster.

He was indeed a gentle giant, loved listening to him talking about Alf and his team.

Found a photo if anyone's interested.

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 18:39 - Nov 9 with 1539 viewsPhilTWTD

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 17:04 - Nov 9 by monty_radio

EDIT: via Phil

Felixstowe rd
then
Foxhall Rd, - by the Heath Rd / Bixley Rd roundabout.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2022 21:17]

Think he had that first and Felixstowe Road later on. I asked him to compare the team he played in with the 81 side and he said he'd not seen much of the 81 team as he was working in his post office on Saturday afternoons.
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 18:43 - Nov 9 with 1533 viewsoldburian

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 16:52 - Nov 9 by PhilTWTD

I think it was their last home match and we certainly did not disgrace ourselves.
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 18:46 - Nov 9 with 1524 viewsPhilTWTD

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 18:43 - Nov 9 by oldburian

I think it was their last home match and we certainly did not disgrace ourselves.

Indeed, creditable 2-0 defeat.

https://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=matchReport&level=1&day=25&a
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 19:30 - Nov 9 with 1474 viewsoldburian

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 18:46 - Nov 9 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, creditable 2-0 defeat.

https://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=matchReport&level=1&day=25&a

If I remember correctly the Busby Babes last game was away in the League. In 1958 I was at King Edward Grammar at Bury and coming home on the 218 saw the paper billboard at the top of Hatter Street saying they had crashed and deaths mentioned. My first reaction when I got home was to ask my mother if Duncan Edwards was OK.
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 19:46 - Nov 9 with 1452 viewsPhilTWTD

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 19:30 - Nov 9 by oldburian

If I remember correctly the Busby Babes last game was away in the League. In 1958 I was at King Edward Grammar at Bury and coming home on the 218 saw the paper billboard at the top of Hatter Street saying they had crashed and deaths mentioned. My first reaction when I got home was to ask my mother if Duncan Edwards was OK.

I'm sure you're right, I knew our game was one of the last but didn't remember the detail. So very sad.
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 19:58 - Nov 9 with 1409 viewsBeattie78

Not much after 1958.

In the 60s he was regularly described as the best player never to have won a cap for Wales

LexdenBlue62

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 21:07 - Nov 9 with 1365 viewsfarkenhell

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 19:30 - Nov 9 by oldburian

One of my college lecturers had a great story about when he was a child, he was taken to watch his local team play against Utd. Apparently the crowd were crammed in like sardines, so much so that all of the kids were plonked on the grass in front of the stands and he was placed close to one corner of the pitch. During the match, Utd had a corner and Duncan Edwards came over to take it. He described looking up at two legs like tree trunks. Duncan Edwards took a few steps back and was right in front of him. He said that in that moment, he just couldn't resist it, he had to reach out and touch his leg, describing the moment as "I just touched God!"
John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 06:06 - Nov 10 with 1244 viewsElephantintheRoom

Hé could always be relied on to open Saxmundham Carnival in the 60s

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 08:56 - Nov 10 with 1186 viewstractorian

John Elsworthy selection for Wales in 1958 on 18:38 - Nov 9 by PhilTWTD

Found a photo if anyone's interested.

Here he is, saw him play many times.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024