Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day 14:45 - Oct 11 with 3614 viewsWeWereZombies

You do not need headlights when it is bright sunshine outside, surely. Maybe it isn't an issue where the roads are dead flat but in hill country with roads that no only undulate but are also poorly maintained so that they are very uneven I am forever being blinded by sudden bursts of light and/or the impression that the car coming towards me is flashing its lights for some reason.

Do these people never go to the optician and think everyone else is as blind as them, or do they not know how to turn their lights on and off ? Maybe they just ask the guy in the showroom to do the technical stuff and drive on from zero mileage with the lights on ever after...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 18:19 - Oct 11 with 1077 viewsRadlett_blue

A EU directive wants all cars to have have lights which come on permanently whenever the engine is switched on. This might make some sense in Northern Europe, especially Scandinavia, but is totally daft in Southern Europe & shows the futility of trying to apply legislation across the whole of Europe.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 18:31 - Oct 11 with 1062 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I too drive an old car and find this confusing in Spring and Summer, although I do put my sidelights on when it is overcast.

My bigger issue is with these modern cars with their X-ray beams for headlights. I drive at night a lot and seem to get blinded by 1 in 4 cars nowadays. I have even flashed my lights on many occasions only to discover the oncoming traffic were not in fact on their full beams.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 18:33]

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 18:50 - Oct 11 with 1049 viewsTrequartista

If your car decides when to put lights on via the auto setting, if you drive through a tunnel or somewhere particularly shaded, it can sometimes take a while for it to decide its bright sunshine again.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 18:59 - Oct 11 with 1045 viewsBugs

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 18:31 - Oct 11 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I too drive an old car and find this confusing in Spring and Summer, although I do put my sidelights on when it is overcast.

My bigger issue is with these modern cars with their X-ray beams for headlights. I drive at night a lot and seem to get blinded by 1 in 4 cars nowadays. I have even flashed my lights on many occasions only to discover the oncoming traffic were not in fact on their full beams.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 18:33]

Sidelights are actually called parking lights and next to useless on dark days when driving, especially in the rain. If you think you need your lights on due to the conditions, put your main headlights on.

See and be seen.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 19:05]
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 19:18 - Oct 11 with 1028 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 18:59 - Oct 11 by Bugs

Sidelights are actually called parking lights and next to useless on dark days when driving, especially in the rain. If you think you need your lights on due to the conditions, put your main headlights on.

See and be seen.

I said overcast, meaning slightly grey. Of course you use your headlights when it's dark.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 21:20 - Oct 11 with 1014 viewsWeWereZombies

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 18:59 - Oct 11 by Bugs

See and be seen.

But if I have good enough eyesight to see other cars from half a mile away even on the dreariest of days (which we are getting a lot of in North West Scotland now) then I can see them fine and quid pro quo they should be able to see me and switch their fecking lights off.

You see the trouble is I think some people think that lights operate like a force field around their car and no one will hit them if they blind everyone coming towards them. And I think the opposite is more likely. Especially on single track roads with grazing animals that often stray onto the carriageway and the risk of deer charging across the road (and you do not want to hit one of them, they make one hell of a mess of the front of a car...don't do themselves much good either.) So my advice on country roads is to slow down if you lack the confidence and the reactions to cope with obstacles. Do that before resorting to lighting in conditions that do not need it....please.

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 21:36 - Oct 11 with 997 viewsChurchman

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:55 - Oct 11 by jeera

I think our friend Zombers there may have a slightly older vehicle which is of course fine, but means he may be out of touch a bit.

Wait till he finds out many of the feckers don't have spare wheels anymore.

Or need to be started using a crank.

I’d switch of the running lights off if I could, but you can’t. Spare wheels? Those canister things are useless. I have had a spare fitted or bought one on eBay, albeit those half size things, for all our cars since manufacturers decided to save £50 by not supplying one.

Those wretched canisters - if they work, they’ll ruin the tyre. Two of the last three punctures me and Mrs C have had have been repairable, so they’re worth it.

Hand cranking a car? I remember my dad doing it in my yoof with his Wolseley 1500 (pile of rust), but nah, bad idea.
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 22:35 - Oct 11 with 990 viewsCrawfordsboot

The stats show that daytime running lights DRLs reduce the likelihood of a car being involved in an accident by approximately six percent.
Seems a pretty good reason to adopt them.
Login to get fewer ads

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 06:24 - Oct 12 with 956 viewsnoggin

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:53 - Oct 11 by giant_stow

Don't know if this is still true, but didn't Sweden used to have a law that headlights had to be on all the time? maybe a myth.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 14:53]

Tis so in Norway.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 06:53 - Oct 12 with 948 viewsbluelagos

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 22:35 - Oct 11 by Crawfordsboot

The stats show that daytime running lights DRLs reduce the likelihood of a car being involved in an accident by approximately six percent.
Seems a pretty good reason to adopt them.

So can I stiick my lights on and then go 6 mph quicker to offset this?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 10:18 - Oct 12 with 917 viewsCrawfordsboot

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 06:53 - Oct 12 by bluelagos

On two wheels the percentages are stacked against you from the start
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 10:23 - Oct 12 with 916 viewschicoazul

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:47 - Oct 11 by jeera

You realise many modern cars have daytime lights which are on automatically?

[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 14:48]

Indeed. They’re literally called daylight running lights.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 10:28 - Oct 12 with 908 viewsbluelagos

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 10:18 - Oct 12 by Crawfordsboot

On two wheels the percentages are stacked against you from the start

Believe you are statistically 40 times more likely to killed on a motorbike than in a car.

Tis why we sometimes get a little arsey at the w@nkers who don't look properly at junctions. #Thinkbike

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 12:42 - Oct 12 with 874 viewsRyorry

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 21:20 - Oct 11 by WeWereZombies

But if I have good enough eyesight to see other cars from half a mile away even on the dreariest of days (which we are getting a lot of in North West Scotland now) then I can see them fine and quid pro quo they should be able to see me and switch their fecking lights off.

You see the trouble is I think some people think that lights operate like a force field around their car and no one will hit them if they blind everyone coming towards them. And I think the opposite is more likely. Especially on single track roads with grazing animals that often stray onto the carriageway and the risk of deer charging across the road (and you do not want to hit one of them, they make one hell of a mess of the front of a car...don't do themselves much good either.) So my advice on country roads is to slow down if you lack the confidence and the reactions to cope with obstacles. Do that before resorting to lighting in conditions that do not need it....please.

I'm with you on this, living in hilly country also - concentration is reduced for the person being dazzled, however briefly.

I think headlight beam checking (& adjustment if needed) is a requirement of the MOT? If not, it should be.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 12:44 - Oct 12 with 873 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 16:18 - Oct 11 by WeWereZombies

It's Lithuania:

https://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/driving-abroad/travelling-in-lithuania

The chumps....

And Sweden, except Sweden was side lights.
If you owned a SAAB in the 80's and 90's you got sick of constantly been told you'd left your lights on.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 12:47 - Oct 12 with 865 viewslurcher

Modern car lights are on nearly all the time , allot of them have intelligent lighting so they follow where the car is going which makes them look even brighter.
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:38 - Oct 12 with 827 viewsWeWereZombies

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 12:47 - Oct 12 by lurcher

Modern car lights are on nearly all the time , allot of them have intelligent lighting so they follow where the car is going which makes them look even brighter.

Intelligent ?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 21:45 - Oct 14 with 769 viewsCrawfordsboot

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 06:53 - Oct 12 by bluelagos

That only applies if you are already doing approx 94mph!
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 02:55 - Oct 15 with 738 viewsacj

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:53 - Oct 11 by giant_stow

Don't know if this is still true, but didn't Sweden used to have a law that headlights had to be on all the time? maybe a myth.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 14:53]

Here in Chile you must have headlights on if you’re on the motorway regardless of time of day or conditions, but it’s not a requirement on country roads or in the city. Think they have the same rules in Argentina too, although it’s been a while since I last went over there.

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 07:19 - Oct 15 with 679 viewsSwansea_Blue

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:48 - Oct 11 by jeera

I had one car where the battery had to come out to change the headlight bulb, and another it was a fuse box. Might have been the same car as it goes.

Agree, lightbulbs should be 'plug in and off you go' by design.

I couldn’t find my car battery when I needed to once. Turns out it was in the boot under the spare. Bit of an odd place for it. These modern fangled ideas will be the end of us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 08:38 - Oct 15 with 644 viewsbluelagos

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 07:19 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

I couldn’t find my car battery when I needed to once. Turns out it was in the boot under the spare. Bit of an odd place for it. These modern fangled ideas will be the end of us.

Electric cars eh.

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 11:08 - Oct 15 with 628 viewsEwan_Oozami

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 12:47 - Oct 12 by lurcher

Some cars, like Mrs O's, are so intelligent that when it's dark, they can dip the full beam automatically when the car detects a car coming the other way. What annoys me though, is that my car's more expensive than hers and it doesn't have that capability!!!!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024