Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? 13:54 - Sep 26 with 2508 viewsMattinLondon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63023469
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 13:55 - Sep 26 with 1771 viewsWD19

People who think the TMO has enhanced football probably think it is fine.
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 14:01 - Sep 26 with 1746 viewsKeno

Its within the rules but perhaps not in the spirit..

The player backing up too far should have been given a warning

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 14:01 - Sep 26 with 1746 viewsMookamoo

Nothing wrong with it. Stay in your ground.

Getting down to the last few balls, you don't want someone nicking singles each time the batter takes a swing, misses and the ball drops near the batter's crease.

Yes, you could give a warning, but all that unwritten nonsense doesn't really take into account today's shorter forms of cricket when each run is more crucial.
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:05 - Sep 26 with 1669 viewsKievthegreat

I don't think it should be considered clever or bad form. The batter leaving the crease is taking an unfair advantage by leaving while the bowler is delivering. It's only seen as bad form because it's been normalised as "not in the spirit", but it's no different to a batsman getting stumped as far as I'm concerned. If you are not behind the crease when the bails are removed, you should be out, whatever end you're at.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 15:06]
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:07 - Sep 26 with 1659 viewslongtimefan

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 14:01 - Sep 26 by Mookamoo

Nothing wrong with it. Stay in your ground.

Getting down to the last few balls, you don't want someone nicking singles each time the batter takes a swing, misses and the ball drops near the batter's crease.

Yes, you could give a warning, but all that unwritten nonsense doesn't really take into account today's shorter forms of cricket when each run is more crucial.

Agree in principle but in this particular case there is video evidence that at, what would normally be the point of delivery release, the batter still had her bat behind the crease. She was making no attempt to cheat, just doing as every player is coached to back up as the bowler approaches. In this particular case the bowler actually goes past the delivery point and then walks back to the stumps to mankad the batter. At this point the batter at the bowlers end will only have eyes on the batter at other end to see where the ball is going and whether a run is possible. To me this seems totally wrong and I thought there was (at least used to be) a rule where you could only do this if it was before your delivery stride.
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:14 - Sep 26 with 1634 viewsjontysnut

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:05 - Sep 26 by Kievthegreat

I don't think it should be considered clever or bad form. The batter leaving the crease is taking an unfair advantage by leaving while the bowler is delivering. It's only seen as bad form because it's been normalised as "not in the spirit", but it's no different to a batsman getting stumped as far as I'm concerned. If you are not behind the crease when the bails are removed, you should be out, whatever end you're at.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 15:06]

In the rules but there should be a umpires warning first and some seem to be confused about the law and whether its about position in delivery stride, ball release etc. Selling a dummy is just on the wrong side for me, but then stealing yards is just as difficult..
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:15 - Sep 26 with 1632 viewsgainsboroughblue

Neither. It's just out. If you are backing up as the non-striker, it's the risk you take if the bowler notices you are out of your ground in their delivery stride. It's just a dismissal that is seen in the game as a rarity.

You also often will see a batsman pick the ball up after he has dead batted it. 999 times out of a thousand, a fielding team wouldn't appeal, but if they did, the umpire is obliged to give them out handled the ball.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 15:15]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:17 - Sep 26 with 1611 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Generally considered against tbe spirt of the game, one would generally expect a warning to be given.

India claim they did and that they drew the umpires attention to it. England claim they did not.

For me it's not cricket but the laws of the game say otherwise

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:20 - Sep 26 with 1607 viewsitfcjoe

Very poor form, if you were to do that every ball you'd get a wicket

Sometimes a batsman is cheating, this bats(wo)man wasn't, and they deserve at least a warning if taking the p155, this is just a trick play and frankly embarrassing especially when you consider the match/series state

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:23 - Sep 26 with 1597 viewsbluelagos

Poor to take the wicket without a prior warning. Wouldn't have gone down well in the lowest league of Sunday league cricket I once frequented.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:36 - Sep 26 with 1568 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

ESPN Cricinfo have done some analysis and apparently the batter was out of her ground 72 times in the innings. For me you should really give a warning but there is a point at which the batter is clearly taking the pi55.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:43 - Sep 26 with 1545 viewsMookamoo

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:07 - Sep 26 by longtimefan

Agree in principle but in this particular case there is video evidence that at, what would normally be the point of delivery release, the batter still had her bat behind the crease. She was making no attempt to cheat, just doing as every player is coached to back up as the bowler approaches. In this particular case the bowler actually goes past the delivery point and then walks back to the stumps to mankad the batter. At this point the batter at the bowlers end will only have eyes on the batter at other end to see where the ball is going and whether a run is possible. To me this seems totally wrong and I thought there was (at least used to be) a rule where you could only do this if it was before your delivery stride.

It was totally a premeditated move I grant you. It only worked because they knew she was too inexperienced to have had this happen before.

I think what is particularly galling is they both passed the crease. Perhaps they can tweak the rules to say once the bowler has passed the crease in order to deliver the ball, they can't then turn and hit the stumps. Stay behind the crease and the batter is fair game.
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:45 - Sep 26 with 1545 viewsKievthegreat

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:20 - Sep 26 by itfcjoe

Sometimes a batsman is cheating, this bats(wo)man wasn't, and they deserve at least a warning if taking the p155, this is just a trick play and frankly embarrassing especially when you consider the match/series state

You'd only get a wicket every ball if no one changed their actions. If a team made it clear they'd do it every time, then the batters would keep in their crease until the bowler releases the ball everytime.
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:55 - Sep 26 with 1528 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:43 - Sep 26 by Mookamoo

It was totally a premeditated move I grant you. It only worked because they knew she was too inexperienced to have had this happen before.

I think what is particularly galling is they both passed the crease. Perhaps they can tweak the rules to say once the bowler has passed the crease in order to deliver the ball, they can't then turn and hit the stumps. Stay behind the crease and the batter is fair game.

The only thing with this is that batters would know they could always back up against fast bowlers as they can't stop quickly enough to turn and stump them out. I think a better approach would be for it to be umpired much like a no-ball. If the batter steps out of their crease before the ball is bowled they lose a run and have to face the ball again.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 16:01 - Sep 26 with 1518 viewsFtnfwest

Within the rules so no problem. Odd that the Indians didn’t exactly celebrate their win as a result though. Still, at least it wasn’t a real game.
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 16:03 - Sep 26 with 1506 viewsFtnfwest

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:15 - Sep 26 by gainsboroughblue

Neither. It's just out. If you are backing up as the non-striker, it's the risk you take if the bowler notices you are out of your ground in their delivery stride. It's just a dismissal that is seen in the game as a rarity.

You also often will see a batsman pick the ball up after he has dead batted it. 999 times out of a thousand, a fielding team wouldn't appeal, but if they did, the umpire is obliged to give them out handled the ball.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 15:15]

I do agree, it’s the rules and no problem with that. The odd thing I suppose is that you can be out without the ball technically having come into play, as the bowling action hasn’t completed
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 16:56 - Sep 26 with 1445 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 16:03 - Sep 26 by Ftnfwest

I do agree, it’s the rules and no problem with that. The odd thing I suppose is that you can be out without the ball technically having come into play, as the bowling action hasn’t completed

The ball ceases to be dead — that is, it comes into play — when the bowler starts his/her run-up .
MCC changed the Laws in 2000, so that the non-striker could leave the crease as soon as the bowler's back foot landed, encouraging batsmen to cheat. The law was changed again in 2017 so that the non-striker had to be in their ground until the ball was "expected to be released". Dean was slightly out of her ground when the bowler's back foot landed & she'd been doing this regularly, effectively stealing a yard or so, which could be important in a tight one day finish.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 17:36 - Sep 26 with 1408 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:20 - Sep 26 by itfcjoe

Not cheating but trying to gain an advantage. If they take a quick single and she just makes it to the other end half a second before the bails are whipped off then, presumably, she will be happy for her side to be credited with the run.

As for your first sentence... After the first couple of run-outs the batting side would need to be pretty dumb to continue doing it.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 17:49 - Sep 26 with 1385 viewsFenland_Blue

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 14:01 - Sep 26 by Keno

Its within the rules but perhaps not in the spirit..

The player backing up too far should have been given a warning

It just causes so much bad feeling, of course it's within the Laws but you must be pretty desperate to do it.

In 27 seasons, it has never crossed my mind to do it.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 18:32 - Sep 26 with 1332 viewsstonojnr

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 15:36 - Sep 26 by Charlie_pl_baxter

ESPN Cricinfo have done some analysis and apparently the batter was out of her ground 72 times in the innings. For me you should really give a warning but there is a point at which the batter is clearly taking the pi55.

Exactly, 72 times out of the non strikers end is not the player making a momentary lapse of judgement one time, thats basically a tactic to score runs that England have adopted for some time in both the men's & women's games, watch them next time theres a limited overs game.

I actually think back in the dressing room she'd have been heavily criticised by the coaching team for not stepping down the pitch that often because its all part of their positive cricket attitude.

England are just whining about it partly in frustration for the poor year that team has had, but also I think to muddy the thinking of other sides they'll play next game who will be sitting there going well England says its against the spirit of the game so we won't do it, oh look they scored 10 extra runs by having their non striking batters wandering down the pitch whilst we bowl and won the game...

Would I prefer teams didn't have to do it, absolutely, but its a legit dismissal in a game that's titled so far to the batting side its barely a fair contest at all. I'd have personally warned them once, pulled out of a few deliveries to see if they're paying attention and if it carried on taken the bails off.
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 18:43 - Sep 26 with 1306 viewslazyblue

Within the rules (we have rules in sports for a reason)so clever play, unlike diving, feigning injury , etc etc in football it’s also not cheating.
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 11:08 - Sep 27 with 1053 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 18:32 - Sep 26 by stonojnr

Exactly, 72 times out of the non strikers end is not the player making a momentary lapse of judgement one time, thats basically a tactic to score runs that England have adopted for some time in both the men's & women's games, watch them next time theres a limited overs game.

I actually think back in the dressing room she'd have been heavily criticised by the coaching team for not stepping down the pitch that often because its all part of their positive cricket attitude.

England are just whining about it partly in frustration for the poor year that team has had, but also I think to muddy the thinking of other sides they'll play next game who will be sitting there going well England says its against the spirit of the game so we won't do it, oh look they scored 10 extra runs by having their non striking batters wandering down the pitch whilst we bowl and won the game...

Would I prefer teams didn't have to do it, absolutely, but its a legit dismissal in a game that's titled so far to the batting side its barely a fair contest at all. I'd have personally warned them once, pulled out of a few deliveries to see if they're paying attention and if it carried on taken the bails off.

In fairness the same analyst observed Dean was the only player frequently stepping out so I'm not sure what this means for your point about the coaching team. Agree with everything else though!

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 12:37 - Sep 27 with 1017 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 18:43 - Sep 26 by lazyblue

Within the rules (we have rules in sports for a reason)so clever play, unlike diving, feigning injury , etc etc in football it’s also not cheating.

A Mankad is not cheating. It is a legitimate way of deterring a batter from gaining an illicit advantage.

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 12:50 - Sep 27 with 1008 viewslongtimefan

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 16:56 - Sep 26 by Radlett_blue

The ball ceases to be dead — that is, it comes into play — when the bowler starts his/her run-up .
MCC changed the Laws in 2000, so that the non-striker could leave the crease as soon as the bowler's back foot landed, encouraging batsmen to cheat. The law was changed again in 2017 so that the non-striker had to be in their ground until the ball was "expected to be released". Dean was slightly out of her ground when the bowler's back foot landed & she'd been doing this regularly, effectively stealing a yard or so, which could be important in a tight one day finish.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdcAIwrWIAA0AHc?format=jpg&name=small

She was definitely not out of her crease when the bowlers back foot landed.
Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 16:16 - Sep 27 with 956 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket Fans. Is this considered bad form or just clever play? on 12:50 - Sep 27 by longtimefan

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdcAIwrWIAA0AHc?format=jpg&name=small

She was definitely not out of her crease when the bowlers back foot landed.

Although the law has been changed in that respect. Yes, it was marginally excessive backing up, which many players do, but apparently she had been doing it continually. There has also been an unsurprising dispute between the England & India players as to whether she was warned.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024