Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euthanasia 17:52 - Sep 14 with 2769 viewsSitfcB

What are peoples thoughts on this.

I think it should be legalised.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Euthanasia on 23:50 - Sep 14 with 589 viewsPhilTWTD

Euthanasia on 19:55 - Sep 14 by jeera

That's how they do it nowadays.

Much nicer than needles.

Go-blerone
Euthanasia on 23:56 - Sep 14 with 559 viewsRyorry

Euthanasia on 21:44 - Sep 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

Aside from all lives ultimately ending in death, I am not sure they are.

Personally, I am opposed but understand why many are for it.

I used to think along the "you wouldn't let a dog suffer" lines until I was asked to assist someone who wasn't even terminally ill, just elderly & depressed after their partner had died, but who had somehow managed to persuade 2 doctors to sign them off.

I declined to assist in the circumstances, it was a terrible decision to have to make (because of also respecting that person's right to determine how their life should go - "whose life is it anyway?") - but the person went to Switzerland & succeeded in any case.

There is also the fact that dogs tend not to make Wills in which they leave very large sums of money to relatives and friends.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2022 1:20]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Euthanasia on 00:05 - Sep 15 with 531 viewshoppy

Someone lifted your shoes again?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Euthanasia on 08:32 - Sep 15 with 470 viewsfab_lover

Serious reply:

It's not just euthanasia, it's the whole "how we die / spend our last years" issue.

Ask anyone and I think they would say that:

- they wouldn't want to burden those around them;
- they wouldn't want to live with seriously debilitating physical or mental health issues that weren't going to get better;
- they wouldn't want to go into a "home";
- they wouldn't want to die in hospital;
- they wouldn't want to carry on if they no longer recognised their nearest and dearest;
- they wouldn't want a long-drawn out death

and yet if someone dies, after a long life, without any of the above happening to them, we'd say they were lucky.

There are two issues here as I see it:

- agency over oneself;
- a reactive, rather than proactive, approach.

Ideally, you get to 60, get a full MOT from the quack, examine family history, be told roughly what your odds are and what is likely to get you, then lay down what your "minimum viable standards are". Have that witnessed, tell your family / friends what your decision is. Review every 5 years. Make it clear that if you are incapacitated, your most recent "living will" stands.

When the minimum standards you set have been breached, if you're capable of making a decision, decide. If you're not capable, the decision has already been made - by you.

Quick, painless, injection.

The current way most people die / live out their last years is dreadful, inhumane, and causes suffering not just to the person but those around them.
Euthanasia on 08:55 - Sep 15 with 451 viewsblueasfook

Great Disney classic. I particularly love the Sorcerer's Apprentice part.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Euthanasia on 08:58 - Sep 15 with 452 viewsOldsmoker

Legalized? I'm not sure.

But Televised - oh yes! - Step forward the 'People on Benefits' ilk of Producers because they would be itching to make this the most tasteless program ever!

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Euthanasia on 10:05 - Sep 15 with 429 viewsRyorry

Euthanasia on 08:32 - Sep 15 by fab_lover

Serious reply:

It's not just euthanasia, it's the whole "how we die / spend our last years" issue.

- they wouldn't want to live with seriously debilitating physical or mental health issues that weren't going to get better;
- they wouldn't want to carry on if they no longer recognised their nearest and dearest;

and yet if someone dies, after a long life, without any of the above happening to them, we'd say they were lucky.

- agency over oneself;

Ideally, you get to 60, get a full MOT from the quack, examine family history, be told roughly what your odds are and what is likely to get you, then lay down what your "minimum viable standards are". Have that witnessed, tell your family / friends what your decision is. Review every 5 years. Make it clear that if you are incapacitated, your most recent "living will" stands.

When the minimum standards you set have been breached, if you're capable of making a decision, decide. If you're not capable, the decision has already been made - by you.

The current way most people die / live out their last years is dreadful, inhumane, and causes suffering not just to the person but those around them.

Great post and reminder to make a living will!

Still requires someone to deliver the needle though, as you put it, which I think would mean a change in the law is needed. Not giving further treatment or resuscitating would be OK as things stand, I believe (albeit I'm no expert).

Euthanasia on 10:15 - Sep 15 with 423 viewsfab_lover

Euthanasia on 10:05 - Sep 15 by Ryorry

Great post and reminder to make a living will!

Still requires someone to deliver the needle though, as you put it, which I think would mean a change in the law is needed. Not giving further treatment or resuscitating would be OK as things stand, I believe (albeit I'm no expert).

Two points:

a) it's quite possible unless you are completely incapacitated to "press the button" yourself. i.e. get a canula put in, linked up to whatever solution gets injected, like a morphine pump. Press the button once.

"You have made the decision to take your own life. If you wish to proceed, press the button twice."

"A lethal injection will now be administered in five minutes time. If you wish to stop this at any time, press the button"

"You are now going to have a lethal injection. Press the button three times in order to proceed."

Fingerprint tech could be used to make sure the person pressing the button is the person who's going to die.

b) Living wills etc are great, but in many cases there isn't time before life-saving interventions need to happen / medical staff are too worried about being sued by the family that they don't come into effect.

Also withdrawal of treatment generally means a long-drawn out death, if you're lucky you're out of it on morphine, but that level of sedation only applied when the stage of agony has been reached and breached. Where's the Brompton cocktail when you need it, eh ?
Login to get fewer ads

Euthanasia on 10:35 - Sep 15 with 405 viewsRyorry

Euthanasia on 10:15 - Sep 15 by fab_lover

Two points:

a) it's quite possible unless you are completely incapacitated to "press the button" yourself. i.e. get a canula put in, linked up to whatever solution gets injected, like a morphine pump. Press the button once.

"You have made the decision to take your own life. If you wish to proceed, press the button twice."

"A lethal injection will now be administered in five minutes time. If you wish to stop this at any time, press the button"

"You are now going to have a lethal injection. Press the button three times in order to proceed."

Fingerprint tech could be used to make sure the person pressing the button is the person who's going to die.

b) Living wills etc are great, but in many cases there isn't time before life-saving interventions need to happen / medical staff are too worried about being sued by the family that they don't come into effect.

Also withdrawal of treatment generally means a long-drawn out death, if you're lucky you're out of it on morphine, but that level of sedation only applied when the stage of agony has been reached and breached. Where's the Brompton cocktail when you need it, eh ?

Had to look up "cannula", but OK, all good stuff there!

Euthanasia on 11:40 - Sep 15 with 385 viewsShineyblueknives

Euthanasia on 08:32 - Sep 15 by fab_lover

Serious reply:

- agency over oneself;

I am for the legalisation of Assisted suicide.
If ever I was in a position where I was unable to look after myself, I would look to find a way of not to be a burden on family, nhs etc.

I had a client who helped his mother end her life,
He positioned the shotgun and she flicked the trigger with her toe, not a pleasant way to go but it would be better than long term suffering

Poll: How many of the remaining games do you think town can win

Euthanasia on 12:24 - Sep 15 with 371 viewsitfcjoe

Euthanasia on 20:06 - Sep 14 by Swansea_Blue

You don’t want to kill off the thread.

Serious subject. People who campaign for it seem dead set on the idea (sorry ). In all seriousness, I hope I never find myself in the position of wanting that option for myself or a loved one. I’m sure it’s an ethical minefield, but I’m leaning towards being in favour for terminal cases.

It's tough, there are obviously cases where it is the right thing - but like anything peoples self interest will lead the way and you'll see elderly relatives bullied into it when they don't want their inheritance dwindled away on care home fees and the like

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Euthanasia on 12:35 - Sep 15 with 362 viewsfab_lover

Euthanasia on 12:24 - Sep 15 by itfcjoe

It's tough, there are obviously cases where it is the right thing - but like anything peoples self interest will lead the way and you'll see elderly relatives bullied into it when they don't want their inheritance dwindled away on care home fees and the like

Yes, but hence my suggestion of this being a pro-active choice one makes at 60, when one is hopefully not so "elderly".

The other advantage of making that choice after one has had a "full MOT" and been told statistically what one's prospects are, is that it might also encourage pro-active lifestyle changes to mitigate against identified risks. Too much healthcare at present is reactive, when it's too late. Prevention is always better than cure...
Euthanasia on 19:28 - Sep 15 with 323 viewsjeera

Euthanasia on 23:50 - Sep 14 by PhilTWTD

Go-blerone

Upped just for the awfulness!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Euthanasia on 20:22 - Sep 15 with 309 viewsPhilTWTD

Euthanasia on 19:28 - Sep 15 by jeera

Upped just for the awfulness!

Was the best I could do!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024