Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral 17:35 - Sep 14 with 7138 viewsMullet

Some interesting views to say the least. Although I wonder what it will cost us in terms of the economy ceasing for the day too?

You'd think the Windsors would foot the bill or are we nationalising funerals now?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 17:56 - Sep 14 with 3581 viewscbower

We are skint and large parts of our nation are struggling. I know as a teacher like yourself I see those who's families are under extreme pressure. However, it's not that long since the taxpayer footed the bill of £350+ million to rewire Buck House and there was barely a murmur. So a mere 7 million more for some of the richest and most privileged in society will see the majority of society roll over and gladly pay up once again. We've paid for their weddings too! Be a good chap and doth your cap Mullet and know your place. That's a good boy. And lest you forget, this is democracy pal! Rant over.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 17:59]

bluescouser

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 17:58 - Sep 14 with 3558 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Monarchy has made the country that every month for many years. She can have it for her funeral as a way of saying thanks.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:03 - Sep 14 with 3541 viewscbower

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 17:58 - Sep 14 by The_Romford_Blue

Monarchy has made the country that every month for many years. She can have it for her funeral as a way of saying thanks.

Oh Rommy, that spurious argument. The biggest tourist destination in the world is France. We all know what they did to their anachronistic monarchy. Not advocating that btw but if we got rid or even declined to pay a red cent more, the tourists and $'s would still come, just to see the history. France proves it.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 18:14]

bluescouser

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:09 - Sep 14 with 3505 viewsRadlett_blue

Bearing in mind that the Queen's estate is worth at least £400m & no inheritance tax will be paid on it, I think the estate should obviously pay for the funeral.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:11 - Sep 14 with 3495 viewsFtnfwest

Ah well, at least we haven’t got 4 extra bank holidays every year, yet.
Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:12 - Sep 14 with 3496 viewsBloomBlue

"Although I wonder what it will cost us in terms of the economy ceasing for the day too?"

Surely that's the same for all public holidays?
Are you saying while the cost of living crisis continues for the next 6months - 2years we should cancel all public holidays because it impacts the economy.
Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:13 - Sep 14 with 3492 viewslowhouseblue

given it's the biggest ceremonial state event in decades, is a massive security operation, and has been compared to 100 state visits, that seems pretty unavoidable.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:19 - Sep 14 with 3438 viewscbower

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:13 - Sep 14 by lowhouseblue

given it's the biggest ceremonial state event in decades, is a massive security operation, and has been compared to 100 state visits, that seems pretty unavoidable.

It's a ceremonial state event because WE choose it to be. It could be a private family affair like everyone else. Our 'democracy' strangely craves this pomp and pageantry and quite crazily imho, is willing to pay for all this nonsense. Just my opinion though and a minority one it seems.

bluescouser

Login to get fewer ads

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:19 - Sep 14 with 3424 viewsMullet

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 17:58 - Sep 14 by The_Romford_Blue

You'll have to back that up Rommy, how exactly has Liz managed that?

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:20 - Sep 14 with 3420 viewsSwansea_Blue

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:03 - Sep 14 by cbower

Oh Rommy, that spurious argument. The biggest tourist destination in the world is France. We all know what they did to their anachronistic monarchy. Not advocating that btw but if we got rid or even declined to pay a red cent more, the tourists and $'s would still come, just to see the history. France proves it.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 18:14]

Plus the royal estate buildings themselves would still attract tourists if the royal family didn’t exist. Arguably more tourists, as you’d be able to open them up more.

Crown estate’s profits were something like £320M last year. Value of estates about £13BN. Not paying any inheritance tax too (that stinks, if nothing else does). You’d think they’d pay for their own mum’s/gran’s funeral, bloody freeloading cheapskates!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:22 - Sep 14 with 3396 viewscbower

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:20 - Sep 14 by Swansea_Blue

Plus the royal estate buildings themselves would still attract tourists if the royal family didn’t exist. Arguably more tourists, as you’d be able to open them up more.

Crown estate’s profits were something like £320M last year. Value of estates about £13BN. Not paying any inheritance tax too (that stinks, if nothing else does). You’d think they’d pay for their own mum’s/gran’s funeral, bloody freeloading cheapskates!

This.

bluescouser

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:22 - Sep 14 with 3395 viewsEastTownBlue

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:12 - Sep 14 by BloomBlue

"Although I wonder what it will cost us in terms of the economy ceasing for the day too?"

Are you saying while the cost of living crisis continues for the next 6months - 2years we should cancel all public holidays because it impacts the economy.

That is well known for all bank holidays. Although other than Christmas Day a number of shops are open for the other bank holidays so at least some spending takes place.
Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:23 - Sep 14 with 3394 viewsMullet

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 17:56 - Sep 14 by cbower

We are skint and large parts of our nation are struggling. I know as a teacher like yourself I see those who's families are under extreme pressure. However, it's not that long since the taxpayer footed the bill of £350+ million to rewire Buck House and there was barely a murmur. So a mere 7 million more for some of the richest and most privileged in society will see the majority of society roll over and gladly pay up once again. We've paid for their weddings too! Be a good chap and doth your cap Mullet and know your place. That's a good boy. And lest you forget, this is democracy pal! Rant over.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 17:59]

The Sovereign grant was increased for the last lot of work on BP, which I believe they own, so they got a larger share of "profit" in a move akin to Boris' take on accounting.

Mind you, you barely get half an Andrew for this new gift. So, vfm and that...

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:23 - Sep 14 with 3392 viewsEwan_Oozami

Can't believe they didn't have a Co-op funeral plan set up for her...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:24 - Sep 14 with 3388 viewsMullet

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:12 - Sep 14 by BloomBlue

Not really when a) this is extra in the calendar b) most places normally open are closing and won't be paying double bubble to staff etc. It's an entirely special case is it not?

It's a minority view.... on 18:25 - Sep 14 with 3387 viewsBloots

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:19 - Sep 14 by cbower

It's a ceremonial state event because WE choose it to be. It could be a private family affair like everyone else. Our 'democracy' strangely craves this pomp and pageantry and quite crazily imho, is willing to pay for all this nonsense. Just my opinion though and a minority one it seems.

....amongst the wider population.

But it's the majority view on this forum.

Although that may be a view influenced by posters shouting loudly and frequently (or just trying to be edgy)

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:26 - Sep 14 with 3372 viewslowhouseblue

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:19 - Sep 14 by cbower

it feels like a moment of national coming together to me - it's broadly a unifying and shared sense of loss. you'll never get 100% agreement, but there seems a clear consensus that this is a major event in the history of our nation. if we don't mark and come together to share something like that we're just 60 million people sat at home bitching on the internet.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

It's a minority view.... on 18:27 - Sep 14 with 3350 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's a minority view.... on 18:25 - Sep 14 by Bloots

....amongst the wider population.

But it's the majority view on this forum.

Although that may be a view influenced by posters shouting loudly and frequently (or just trying to be edgy)

Only because we’re informed, extremely intelligent and good looking. Whereas the majority out there are knubskulls. Def info.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:28 - Sep 14 with 3346 viewsMullet

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:13 - Sep 14 by lowhouseblue

The amount it costs is, who pays shouldn't be. You'd think in this day and age the Monarchy should be a subscription service type arrangement.

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:31 - Sep 14 with 3309 viewsbrazil1982

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:20 - Sep 14 by Swansea_Blue

The Crown Estate profits go to the Treasury. If we had President, there would be expenses for running that. Where would that come from?
Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:34 - Sep 14 with 3280 viewsBlueBadger

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:31 - Sep 14 by brazil1982

The Crown Estate profits go to the Treasury. If we had President, there would be expenses for running that. Where would that come from?

'We shouldn't have an elected head of state because they would also have expenses(that probably wouldn't be as much as that for a Royal Family)' isn't the gotcha you think it is champ.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:35 - Sep 14 with 3260 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Junior informs me that all other funerals on Monday have been cancelled.

Edit...according to fullfact.org
Update 14 September 2022

We have updated this piece to more clearly reflect that some funerals have been postponed after individual cemetery and crematorium operators took the decision to close.

[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 18:43]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:35 - Sep 14 with 3273 viewsBloomBlue

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:24 - Sep 14 by Mullet

Not really when a) this is extra in the calendar b) most places normally open are closing and won't be paying double bubble to staff etc. It's an entirely special case is it not?

There are many making more money from this, TFL are saying best footfall since wfh started.
But even if other public holidays are planned they still impact the economy. Hence if the economy is the true driver then all public holidays should be cancelled.
Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:36 - Sep 14 with 3267 viewsMullet

Vox pop on £7.7m for Liz's funeral on 18:26 - Sep 14 by lowhouseblue

it feels like a moment of national coming together to me - it's broadly a unifying and shared sense of loss. you'll never get 100% agreement, but there seems a clear consensus that this is a major event in the history of our nation. if we don't mark and come together to share something like that we're just 60 million people sat at home bitching on the internet.

It's certainly unique unless you're Thai etc but given our American/Western European worldview and the British addiction to nostalgia and airbrushed history, I'm not convinced it makes it entirely healthy.

I hope it's a wonderful occasion for the Monarchists, but the propaganda since the Queen's passing and baffling takes and outlooks seen need challenging. To see republicans, ethnic minorities and former subjects and their descendants dismissed and even attacked in way we've seen on social media does make the idea that the Windsors can keep picking and choosing so much even more galling.

Either they work for us and are paid etc or they're a private institution and can set themselves up properly as such surely?

Exactly, this place is.... on 18:36 - Sep 14 with 3264 viewsBloots

It's a minority view.... on 18:27 - Sep 14 by Swansea_Blue

Only because we’re informed, extremely intelligent and good looking. Whereas the majority out there are knubskulls. Def info.

...definitely overflowing with great thinkers.

Handsome, great thinkers.

Definitely.

100%.

Apart from me, I'm ugly and stupid.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024