Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing 11:54 - Sep 9 with 6679 viewshomer_123

respect?

It's not about individual fans.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 11:57 - Sep 9 with 2984 viewsBondiBlue

I'd argue that the sport is a collection of individual fans rather than a standalone entity.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 11:58 - Sep 9 with 2973 viewsIllinoisblue

Define what you mean by “the sport”

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 11:58 - Sep 9 with 2969 viewsLankHenners

They're not, no.

What exactly would be disrespectful in playing on with minute's silence, black armbands, national anthem rendition, social media posts highlighting how much reverence was being shown etc. which was all part of the government guidance?

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 11:58 - Sep 9 with 2962 viewsportmanking

How is it showing respect though? By doing nothing?

Surely a large-scale, united front of GSTQ and a minute's silence around the country would have been the most fitting way for the 'sport' to show its respect?
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 11:59 - Sep 9 with 2934 viewsElderGrizzly

Some will do.

However the Royal Family and Government both agreed that major events should continue.

So for the EFL and PL to do the opposite is slightly odd.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:01 - Sep 9 with 2903 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 11:58 - Sep 9 by Illinoisblue

Define what you mean by “the sport”

Well, it is clear that those that run football for the Prem league and EFl deem it worthwhile for 'football' to show it's respect by not playing matches over the weekend.

They are just being moved to another date.

It's not a decision I particularly agree with but can understand - it's not exactly a hardship is it.

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:01 - Sep 9 with 2889 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes, if by that you mean the sport's authorities.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:01 - Sep 9 with 2877 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 11:59 - Sep 9 by ElderGrizzly

Some will do.

However the Royal Family and Government both agreed that major events should continue.

So for the EFL and PL to do the opposite is slightly odd.

They were given the choice - worth noting that a number of other sports are not happening this weekend as a result.

Login to get fewer ads

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:02 - Sep 9 with 2848 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 11:58 - Sep 9 by LankHenners

They're not, no.

What exactly would be disrespectful in playing on with minute's silence, black armbands, national anthem rendition, social media posts highlighting how much reverence was being shown etc. which was all part of the government guidance?

I don't disagree Lankers. But is it that much of a hardship/ issue to not go ahead?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:03 - Sep 9 with 2822 viewsHighgateBlue

The St Leger has simply been put back 24 hours. 25,000 fans will be inconvenienced but they will get on with it and get to see the sport they love. A broadly sensible compromise. Is horse racing being disrespectful by not cancelling everything up to and including the end of Sunday?

Why does football have to cancel everything on Saturday and Sunday to show respect? Especially given that "the sport" didn't seem to give a fig on the night of her death when West Ham were playing in the European Beazer Homes Nonsense League.

I don't think people are missing the point. I just think that football has got the decisions wrong from start to finish on this one. Other sports are happening at the weekend and football is not. Football should take the pulse of its millions of fans before deciding what response is appropriate from "the sport".

Pubs and clubs will be open, the stock exchange is open, courts are open as normal. Are these entities all failing to show respect?
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:04 - Sep 9 with 2798 viewsKropotkin123

No. Are you still missing the fact that this is about the consistency across sectors, how people have committed finances to this, and there are other more forward-thinking ways to show respect?

I'm not a nationalist or royalist, but watching the West Ham fans pay tribute by singing the national anthem was far more impactful and respectful than this decision as a mark of respect
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 12:06]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:04 - Sep 9 with 2798 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:03 - Sep 9 by HighgateBlue

The St Leger has simply been put back 24 hours. 25,000 fans will be inconvenienced but they will get on with it and get to see the sport they love. A broadly sensible compromise. Is horse racing being disrespectful by not cancelling everything up to and including the end of Sunday?

Why does football have to cancel everything on Saturday and Sunday to show respect? Especially given that "the sport" didn't seem to give a fig on the night of her death when West Ham were playing in the European Beazer Homes Nonsense League.

I don't think people are missing the point. I just think that football has got the decisions wrong from start to finish on this one. Other sports are happening at the weekend and football is not. Football should take the pulse of its millions of fans before deciding what response is appropriate from "the sport".

Pubs and clubs will be open, the stock exchange is open, courts are open as normal. Are these entities all failing to show respect?

So, Horse Racing has postponed racing by 24 hours.

But football has 'cancelled' football?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:05 - Sep 9 with 2756 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:04 - Sep 9 by Kropotkin123

No. Are you still missing the fact that this is about the consistency across sectors, how people have committed finances to this, and there are other more forward-thinking ways to show respect?

I'm not a nationalist or royalist, but watching the West Ham fans pay tribute by singing the national anthem was far more impactful and respectful than this decision as a mark of respect
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 12:06]

Yep, get that but there is not going to be consistency as it's in the hands of individual bodies.

I suspect, when football is played, said singing of the anthem will still go head, no?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:06 - Sep 9 with 2710 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'm more concerned that you can show respect in much better ways than cancelling a weekend. Especially given the government gave them permission to do so.

What is happening is however. They've financially penalised alot of businesses and peoples.

They've played with the mental health of those who rely on sport. Something which should never be under appreciated. There have been posters on here who we've seen heavily rely on the weekend activity. No thoughts given about those.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:07 - Sep 9 with 2691 viewsmonytowbray

And will the sport be showing respect to the fans who have lost money on travel/tickets/hotels at a time when people are already tight with cash?

Some utterly privileged and tone deaft takes on this matter flowing in.

Doesn't affect me much as I am off to a gig this weekend in London. Does affect my mate who was having my ticket who hasn't been to a game in a while due to finances. Does affect the Norwegians who have flown over already for the game with up front costs. Does affect the bottom line of businesses who won't be as busy at a time when everyone is struggling. Does affect the staff that have lost their shifts now said businesses won't be as busy.

And this is on a nationwide scale because someone most of us have never met has died. It's not a public health emergency or anything actually important. Just token BS.

Frankly you can take that "respect" take and shove it up your arse.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:09 - Sep 9 with 2671 viewsSwansea_Blue

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:01 - Sep 9 by homer_123

Well, it is clear that those that run football for the Prem league and EFl deem it worthwhile for 'football' to show it's respect by not playing matches over the weekend.

It's not a decision I particularly agree with but can understand - it's not exactly a hardship is it.

I think that question you replied to was making the point that "the sport" includes the fans and the clubs. This is just the football authorities dictating how respect will be shown, but simultaneously denying others within the sport the opportunity to do so (sounds over-dramatic, but hopefully you see my point).

Grizzly hit the nail on the head imo. The Royal Family didn't want events to be cancelled (or at least were happy for them to carry on). It seems a bit odd to go against their wishes. it would have been a celebration too - imagine the scenes at West Ham last night scaled up all over the country. That would have given a lot of people the opportunity to show either what the Queen meant or at least to show togetherness and support the Royal Family.

but yes, it's not a major hardship to miss a match though. There will be logistic issues as all clubs will have prepared for the weekend, travel/accommodation all bought for fans/players, etc. So there'll certainly be a lot of waste. People who've lost travel and accomm who can't really afford it won't be happy. But it's not end of the world stuff for sure.

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:09 - Sep 9 with 2656 viewsIllinoisblue

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:01 - Sep 9 by homer_123

A handful of out of touch men in suits have decided hundreds of thousands of people should be deprived of their favourite thing. “You will be sad this weekend, but have at it for Tuesday’s games”. It makes no sense.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:10 - Sep 9 with 2636 viewsElderGrizzly

They were given the choice - worth noting that a number of other sports are not happening this weekend as a result.

Appreciate it isn't just a football thing, but when the Royal Family have expressed wishes for things to continue it does seem odd.

Predictable, but odd.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:11 - Sep 9 with 2637 viewsJohnWarksTash

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:02 - Sep 9 by homer_123

I don't disagree Lankers. But is it that much of a hardship/ issue to not go ahead?

It is a hardship for those who have paid for hotels, travel tickets, childcare etc. If people can't see the sacrifices some make to follow their team then that screams of a lack of empathy and idea of what's happening currently in the UK.

Personally in the current financial crisis I think it sends the wrong message. It's almost saying mourning take priority over your personal circumstances which is wrong in my view.

We should all be gathering en masse to show our respects, and where better than in a football stadium with 25k others singing GSTQ.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 12:13]
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:11 - Sep 9 with 2635 viewsLankHenners

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:02 - Sep 9 by homer_123

Depends really doesn't it? Certainly annoying for anyone planning to go and a hassle to sort out refunds for travel etc. but for others it might have been a special occasion for whatever reason. Obviously a postponement in any circumstances would lead to the same but a self-inflicted one in the face of official guidance understandably will sting a lot more with people.

If it's not an issue to call everything off then equally it's not much of an issue to keep everything going. If people felt strongly about not going because they've come to the conclusion it's not respectful then it's up to them but to force everyone not to go when thousands of people will be at best ambivalent to the news doesn't seem to be taking things particularly sensibly.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:12 - Sep 9 with 2612 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:09 - Sep 9 by Swansea_Blue

I think that question you replied to was making the point that "the sport" includes the fans and the clubs. This is just the football authorities dictating how respect will be shown, but simultaneously denying others within the sport the opportunity to do so (sounds over-dramatic, but hopefully you see my point).

Grizzly hit the nail on the head imo. The Royal Family didn't want events to be cancelled (or at least were happy for them to carry on). It seems a bit odd to go against their wishes. it would have been a celebration too - imagine the scenes at West Ham last night scaled up all over the country. That would have given a lot of people the opportunity to show either what the Queen meant or at least to show togetherness and support the Royal Family.

but yes, it's not a major hardship to miss a match though. There will be logistic issues as all clubs will have prepared for the weekend, travel/accommodation all bought for fans/players, etc. So there'll certainly be a lot of waste. People who've lost travel and accomm who can't really afford it won't be happy. But it's not end of the world stuff for sure.

As I have said, not a decision I overly agree with but get why they've done it.

Yep, see your point Swanners.

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:13 - Sep 9 with 2588 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:10 - Sep 9 by ElderGrizzly

Appreciate it isn't just a football thing, but when the Royal Family have expressed wishes for things to continue it does seem odd.

Predictable, but odd.

Yeah - get that but this is what happens when you give people a choice - not everyone is going to do the same thing.

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:13 - Sep 9 with 2586 viewsSwansea_Blue

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:12 - Sep 9 by homer_123

As I have said, not a decision I overly agree with but get why they've done it.

Yep, see your point Swanners.

Yeah, it helps to talk it through to try and understand it doesn't it (it doe me anyway). I don't agree either, but can see why it's been done too.

Although, if this break interrupts our flow and we lose the next game, I'm not going to be happy with Liz!

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:13 - Sep 9 with 2586 viewsHighgateBlue

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:04 - Sep 9 by homer_123

So, Horse Racing has postponed racing by 24 hours.

But football has 'cancelled' football?

OK, I appreciate that this weekend's matches will happen at some point, but (a) we have no idea when that will be, and (b) they likely won't happen at the weekend, which means many won't be able to get to these games when they are rescheduled.

I'm very happy to amend my original comment such that the word cancel is replaced by "indefinitely postpone and almost certainly reschedule on a week night". But my points still remain.

My points are that:
(a) the decision taken was not a necessary one in order to ensure respect was paid,
(b) the decision did not ensure respect if you think that matches need to be postponed to ensure respect, as the West Ham game went ahead on the very night of her death, and
(c) a governing body which does not at least consider the views of its millions of supporters when taking a decision like this is not fit for purpose. Yes, there is a distinction between an action by a governing body and an act of an individual, but the former has to take into account the latter. As this board has shown (and we're not unusually unreasonable), there is a huge majority in favour of the matches going ahead as scheduled.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:15 - Sep 9 with 2567 viewshype313

The problem now though Homer is that the opening of the Rugby season is going ahead, the Cricket, Great North Run, Boxing.

Fair enough if all got cancelled but it's making it all a bit messy now.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024