Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' 08:32 - Aug 31 with 2825 viewsSparky85

Wasn't going to post about this, but then read and saw some of the other negative fan experiences from Saturday and thought I would put in my 2p's worth...

So, thought I would try somewhere different for a pre game beer on Saturday. The pub selection was the Halberd which I though would be good as they have the outside TV's on and thought watching Man U v Southampton in the buildup would be good. What I didn't quite think about was the timing of the Norwich game.

Things were ok, then Norwich scored their customary late winner. Quite a few groans and expletives shouted at the TV, which to be honest I am fine with. It's a pub with beer flowing after all.

What came next, was 30 mins straight of 2 songs being sung about a certain former Norwich striker. Not only is this (IMO) moronic and classless, there were still some younger fans in there or people not going to the game who just don't need to hear things like that.

Yes, I am all for having a bit of banter about your rivals, but the chants are disgusting. We really are better than this (I thought) as a fanbase. With all the positivity around the club currently, certain things on Saturday really hit home and made me a little embarrassed to support the club.

I know its only a minority, plus I am sure all clubs have a certain selection of idiots that do similar. Maybe I need to be a little more wise as to where to have the pre game drink.
A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 08:53 - Aug 31 with 2603 viewsSteve_M

FFS.

It's right to call it out, even retrospectively on here, although it's clear why that may not have been a good idea at the time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 08:53 - Aug 31 with 2603 viewsZx1988

Were they the Fashanu chants?

Although equally reprehensible in any and all scenarios, it's a little concerning that, seemingly, they can now be sung in a not-unpleasant pub with little/no repercussions.

In retrospect, I suppose I understand the wisdom in not confronting drunken knuckle-draggers such as this. Given how much CCTV there tends to be in pubs these days, hopefully The Halberd might be able to do the right thing.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 8:55]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 08:56 - Aug 31 with 2550 viewsHighgateBlue

Quite right to call it out, assuming you're referring to Fashanu chants. Absolutely appalling. I'd rather support Norwich than support people with that kind of attitude.
A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 08:58 - Aug 31 with 2529 viewsSparky85

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 08:53 - Aug 31 by Zx1988

Were they the Fashanu chants?

Although equally reprehensible in any and all scenarios, it's a little concerning that, seemingly, they can now be sung in a not-unpleasant pub with little/no repercussions.

In retrospect, I suppose I understand the wisdom in not confronting drunken knuckle-draggers such as this. Given how much CCTV there tends to be in pubs these days, hopefully The Halberd might be able to do the right thing.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 8:55]

They were indeed.

Made no sense calling it out at the time. There were a lot of them and were all suitable well oiled!

The pub staff were complaining and I think some others complained at the time, but there was nothing the staff or any one else could do about it, with that may in the group that were partaking in the chants.
A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 09:06 - Aug 31 with 2418 viewsHighgateBlue

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 08:58 - Aug 31 by Sparky85

They were indeed.

Made no sense calling it out at the time. There were a lot of them and were all suitable well oiled!

The pub staff were complaining and I think some others complained at the time, but there was nothing the staff or any one else could do about it, with that may in the group that were partaking in the chants.

If we are really talking about a group that is too sizeable to be controlled by the pub, then I think the Club should become involved, embolden the pub to take video evidence and then seek to ban these people from the ground. We cannot have young kids coming through thinking that these sorts of chants are just part of the folklore of the club. They are not. I've no idea why they have increased in popularity of late, at a time when the vast majority of football fans have a more modern and decent attitude towards diversity, mental health and victimisation than ever was the case when Fashanu was playing.

Perhaps it is a rump of reactionary bigots who feel threatened by the rest of the world progressing, but whatever the reason, this has to be stamped out. Is this the kind of reputation we want to allow to develop as a club? Do we want confrontations with Norwich fans involving these chants when we eventually manage to be good enough to play them again? I really do think the Club should intervene.
A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 09:09 - Aug 31 with 2383 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I encountered similar chants last season at Wimbledon away. They were being led by a lady I would guess in her mid 40s who was more bothered about winding up the police, and she was being joined by a group of middle age men.

The song is seemingly coming back due to some absolute idiots. Shame.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 09:11 - Aug 31 with 2347 viewsZx1988

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 09:06 - Aug 31 by HighgateBlue

If we are really talking about a group that is too sizeable to be controlled by the pub, then I think the Club should become involved, embolden the pub to take video evidence and then seek to ban these people from the ground. We cannot have young kids coming through thinking that these sorts of chants are just part of the folklore of the club. They are not. I've no idea why they have increased in popularity of late, at a time when the vast majority of football fans have a more modern and decent attitude towards diversity, mental health and victimisation than ever was the case when Fashanu was playing.

Perhaps it is a rump of reactionary bigots who feel threatened by the rest of the world progressing, but whatever the reason, this has to be stamped out. Is this the kind of reputation we want to allow to develop as a club? Do we want confrontations with Norwich fans involving these chants when we eventually manage to be good enough to play them again? I really do think the Club should intervene.

Agree with you 100%.

Pubs should be well-trained in dealing with/confronting drunken patrons who are taking things too far, and I would have imagined that they should be identifying match days as risk scenarios and employing suitable staff/security.

Given that the group sounds as if it was too big to be dealt with by the pub's staff, it's very worrying that this sounds as if it was far more than just one or two idiots. Definitely time for the club to step in, and make clear that there is a zero tolerance to this sort of thing, both inside and outside the stadium.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 09:16 - Aug 31 with 2300 viewsSawtrich

I'm afraid it's a few idiots like this that gives 'football fans' in general a bad image in some quarters. It's completely unacceptable. Hopefully they'll be banned from the club and the police will get involved.
Login to get fewer ads

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 09:19 - Aug 31 with 2271 viewsReus30

Whilst I agree that it is disgusting, anti-social fan behaviour in general is at an all time high at the football (and in society) so I am surprised it hasn't happened more regularly.
I have said for years now that we have a gaggle of supporters who continue to misbehave and act like idiots whether under the influence of drugs or just brain dead idiots. They know who they are....
Maybe its time we as a group did something rather than just expect the club or anyone else to do it. We should all be held accountable.

I appreciate a pub with 1 vs a large group is not the place to start but I suspect at least one forum user on here was part of that group signing or knows of people who did/continue to do so.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 9:20]
A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 09:38 - Aug 31 with 2064 viewsblueasfook

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 09:09 - Aug 31 by TRUE_BLUE123

I encountered similar chants last season at Wimbledon away. They were being led by a lady I would guess in her mid 40s who was more bothered about winding up the police, and she was being joined by a group of middle age men.

The song is seemingly coming back due to some absolute idiots. Shame.

Bluebell up to her old tricks again

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:10 - Aug 31 with 1873 viewsellaandred

Perhaps, someone could raise this at the fans forum on Monday.
A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:17 - Aug 31 with 1820 viewsunbelievablue

The police should, well, police this.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:17 - Aug 31 with 1814 viewsmonytowbray

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 09:19 - Aug 31 by Reus30

Whilst I agree that it is disgusting, anti-social fan behaviour in general is at an all time high at the football (and in society) so I am surprised it hasn't happened more regularly.
I have said for years now that we have a gaggle of supporters who continue to misbehave and act like idiots whether under the influence of drugs or just brain dead idiots. They know who they are....
Maybe its time we as a group did something rather than just expect the club or anyone else to do it. We should all be held accountable.

I appreciate a pub with 1 vs a large group is not the place to start but I suspect at least one forum user on here was part of that group signing or knows of people who did/continue to do so.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 9:20]

Not drugs. Most of them are just pissed.

I wish people would stop pretending alcohol isn’t a considerable problem in society and pretending it must be drugs causing such thuggery.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:28 - Aug 31 with 1736 viewsloyalfan

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:10 - Aug 31 by ellaandred

Perhaps, someone could raise this at the fans forum on Monday.

I think that is a good idea.

If this is happening for a home game then, hopefully, something can be done by the club-what worries me more is when we are at an away game with a big following and these "fans" decide to antagonise the opposition fans before/after the game. It could all get very nasty (even walking back to the station after the match on Saturday wasn't pleasant).

This is definitely a problem for all clubs but with Town looking to be (hopefully) successful this season there are going to be more and more "fans" attending matches and the problems will only increase.
A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:29 - Aug 31 with 1727 viewsunbelievablue

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:17 - Aug 31 by monytowbray

Not drugs. Most of them are just pissed.

I wish people would stop pretending alcohol isn’t a considerable problem in society and pretending it must be drugs causing such thuggery.

Agree, but the use of cocaine at football has grown exponentially in recent years. A separate issue but an important one.

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:34 - Aug 31 with 1701 viewsDyland

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:29 - Aug 31 by unbelievablue

Agree, but the use of cocaine at football has grown exponentially in recent years. A separate issue but an important one.

Cocaine doesn't make you aggressive and racist/homophobic though. You're more likely to make new friends and/or bore people to death. You're right though that coke enables some people to drink more, get more pissed, and in that way be more of a dick. People who cause trouble at the footy are already divs, it's not the coke making them so.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:36 - Aug 31 with 1682 viewsunbelievablue

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:34 - Aug 31 by Dyland

Cocaine doesn't make you aggressive and racist/homophobic though. You're more likely to make new friends and/or bore people to death. You're right though that coke enables some people to drink more, get more pissed, and in that way be more of a dick. People who cause trouble at the footy are already divs, it's not the coke making them so.

Obviously.

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:38 - Aug 31 with 1646 viewsmonytowbray

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:29 - Aug 31 by unbelievablue

I do see more coke about these days at games, but we should be talking in relation to specifically Cocaine and not using catch all terms. But plenty of idiots at football are just too pissed, I put myself in that bracket in the past too at times (alas to then be someone who would sing the songs in question the issue would go deeper than just being drunk).

TWTD never forgets…

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:39 - Aug 31 with 1642 viewsDyland

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:36 - Aug 31 by unbelievablue

Obviously.

Well I wasn't sure, I often have to explain things like this to Chickers e.g.

It does amaze me how many people pop into the bogs at the footy for a snort (and sometimes a smoke). Ridiculous behaviour innit.

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:46 - Aug 31 with 1583 viewsmonytowbray

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:34 - Aug 31 by Dyland

My experience of coke is exactly that. I think long term addictive use can make people sociopathic and a bit punchy. I found it just helped drink more - Downing 3 Red Bulls is cheaper.

I was more bothered by the catch all “drugs” remark in the first reply because not all drugs are equal, nor does using them automatically make one a racist thug. As you say, these people probably think these things or say them in private all week before they spill out in the free pass they think they get from Footy tribalism.

TWTD never forgets…

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:48 - Aug 31 with 1568 viewsmonytowbray

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:39 - Aug 31 by Dyland

Well I wasn't sure, I often have to explain things like this to Chickers e.g.

It does amaze me how many people pop into the bogs at the footy for a snort (and sometimes a smoke). Ridiculous behaviour innit.

I think it’s weirder we don’t have smoking areas in the ground. Would do the cleaners a favour and free up toilet cubicles for actual business.

TWTD never forgets…

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:49 - Aug 31 with 1571 viewsDyland

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 10:48 - Aug 31 by monytowbray

I think it’s weirder we don’t have smoking areas in the ground. Would do the cleaners a favour and free up toilet cubicles for actual business.

But there's no real outside space once you're through the turnstiles? I guess Churchmans/Cobbold corner...

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 11:18 - Aug 31 with 1452 viewsIllinoisblue

Apart from it being a vile song, he last played for Norwich over FORTY years ago. Time our mouth breathing chav morons moved on.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 14:10 - Aug 31 with 1140 viewsStu_Magoo

I'm all for a song about Huckerby and his hat or similar but signing a song about a poor bloke who killed himself?! There's plenty of other sweary/semi-aggressive songs to sing if your blood is up and that's your thing.

Why does this one even need to be in your repertoire?!
A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 15:08 - Aug 31 with 957 viewslowhouseblue

A moan about (a selection of) our 'fans' on 09:11 - Aug 31 by Zx1988

Agree with you 100%.

Pubs should be well-trained in dealing with/confronting drunken patrons who are taking things too far, and I would have imagined that they should be identifying match days as risk scenarios and employing suitable staff/security.

Given that the group sounds as if it was too big to be dealt with by the pub's staff, it's very worrying that this sounds as if it was far more than just one or two idiots. Definitely time for the club to step in, and make clear that there is a zero tolerance to this sort of thing, both inside and outside the stadium.

i have great sympathy for the pub - what can staff do with a large group such as that? - but in allowing it to occur they are almost certainly in breech of their licence. clearly 'allow' in the circumstances is open to interpretation, but i would have thought calling the police when their own staff can't control it would be a good demonstration of intent (whether the police would come is of course another question). informing the club, banning people identified on video would also show intent.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024