Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portman Plaza 12:13 - Jun 8 with 3724 viewsHarlestonblue

Ipswich Borough Council announced yesterday they are planning to demolish the Crown Pools because they are now outdated and the maintenance costs too high. The replacement sports complex/swimming pool will probably be constructed on the Portman Road car park.
My first thought is the loss of convenient car park spaces on matchday. Indeed I use this site quite a bit if I'm not travelling by train from Norfolk. On further reflection, I wondered if this development may lead to the permenant closure of Portman Road itself (the street not the ground), or at least the southern part alongside the Cobbold Stand, so giving ITFC the opportunity to expand the stand eastwards. In which case a pedestrianised Portman Plaza could be created between the sports complex and the stadium (all according to the location of the new facility.) This would allow for greater access before/after games.
As car parking near the ground is likely to be limited then the club needs to give greater information about Park and Ride, bus /train services on matchdays, especially if the size of crowds increases, which seems quite likely in the years ahead. (I am optimistic!)
I visited the Etihad a few years ago and i was impressed with the amount of information about public transport for matches on the club website and in the programme. ITFC will need to liase with the Council on the provision of more car parks perhaps.
Portman Plaza on 12:22 - Jun 8 with 3656 viewsitfcjoe

Portman Road on the back of the stand has been shut for over a year now so would be good if it did permanently to allow a full redevelopment of that stand in time - it is the one that needs doing most and would be next, and also would allow the stand to front up to the town as is something Ashton has commented on. New offices, new executive boxes, etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Portman Plaza on 12:40 - Jun 8 with 3528 viewsmonty_radio

The parking would need addressing which is generally difficult with the authorities always looking to get us out of our cars while pretending every one will leap onto buses and trains that don't really exist for many.

Some will remember that years ago, at the end of the game, Ipswich buses for every route in the town would line up along Portman Rd. Evening matches are a particular problem in that respect as half the town's routes have no evening service, or a very infrequent one.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Portman Plaza on 13:00 - Jun 8 with 3401 viewsdirtyboy

More hopeful that the new swimming pool is 50m and has decent spectating than parking lol!
Portman Plaza on 15:06 - Jun 8 with 3157 viewsEastTownBlue

Crown Pools “outdated” ?

I remember being in a lengthy queue outside that place when new due to its popularity. There were also time limits as to how long you could be swimming there due to that queue. The wave machine and the inflatable slide …

I feel old.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2022 16:28]
Portman Plaza on 15:08 - Jun 8 with 3126 viewsSheffordBlue

Maybe we'll see a pub to pitch service it on like they don't Phoenix Rising. That would help with the parking

https://www.phxrisingfc.com/pub2pitch-shuttle/

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Portman Plaza on 15:13 - Jun 8 with 3103 viewsSTYG

Portman Plaza on 15:06 - Jun 8 by EastTownBlue

Crown Pools “outdated” ?

I remember being in a lengthy queue outside that place when new due to its popularity. There were also time limits as to how long you could be swimming there due to that queue. The wave machine and the inflatable slide …

I feel old.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2022 16:28]

I am with you!

I remember the days of the different coloured wristbands (red, blue, yellow and green I think) that were rotated so they knew how long you'd be in and you were kicked out after a certain period of time. Think you got directed to certain coloured lockers and the key / wristband corresponded.

Must have been the early 80's? Anyone else remember this. Usually announced which colour had to leave as they did the wave machine announcement.
Portman Plaza on 15:16 - Jun 8 with 3076 viewsbilllm

Portman Plaza on 12:22 - Jun 8 by itfcjoe

Portman Road on the back of the stand has been shut for over a year now so would be good if it did permanently to allow a full redevelopment of that stand in time - it is the one that needs doing most and would be next, and also would allow the stand to front up to the town as is something Ashton has commented on. New offices, new executive boxes, etc

Here here,
Portman Plaza on 15:28 - Jun 8 with 3040 viewsVic

I love the idea of that whole area being a leisure area - almost connecting with Cineworld and the Waterfront, etc. It really would signal a big shift in the centre of town, giving a huge boost the loads of excellent little shops & restaurants in St Peters Street, St Nicolas street.

Great idea and giving scope to refurb the old east stand when needed.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Portman Plaza on 15:37 - Jun 8 with 2982 viewsxrayspecs

Ashton has spoken about sitting down with the council to discuss an "estate strategy". Essentially, what options there are for developing the area around the ground. What would work for club and council. How creative can they be collectively?

One thing that could be considered is a land swap. For example, Town swap some of the practice pitch grounds adjacent to the council building, or some of the land they recently acquired in return for say some of the car park in Portman Road.
Portman Plaza on 16:37 - Jun 8 with 2823 viewsHipsterectomy

It's so Ipswich to invest £4 mill in updating it to then look to kill it a decade later

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Portman Plaza on 17:26 - Jun 8 with 2673 viewsrgp1

Portman Plaza on 12:40 - Jun 8 by monty_radio

The parking would need addressing which is generally difficult with the authorities always looking to get us out of our cars while pretending every one will leap onto buses and trains that don't really exist for many.

Some will remember that years ago, at the end of the game, Ipswich buses for every route in the town would line up along Portman Rd. Evening matches are a particular problem in that respect as half the town's routes have no evening service, or a very infrequent one.

Good points however I have to disagree on the bus issue. If you live in Ipswich most places have a half hour service in the evening followed by an hourly service after 8.30 right up till just past 11. Unfortunately most don't bother to check it out. The prices might seem expensive to some but I think IBC have done well to hold onto this service for so long.
Portman Plaza on 17:34 - Jun 8 with 2626 viewsbrazil1982

Portman Plaza on 13:00 - Jun 8 by dirtyboy

More hopeful that the new swimming pool is 50m and has decent spectating than parking lol!

Yes, and towns should be ambitious to have more pools, not just replacements.
Portman Plaza on 19:13 - Jun 8 with 2470 viewsmonytowbray

Can’t Wait for the Kevin Beattie Memorial Skate Park to open.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Portman Plaza on 13:31 - Jun 9 with 2077 viewsgreenkingtone

Portman Plaza on 12:40 - Jun 8 by monty_radio

Yeah that's right boy! my mates and I aremobility disabled and the car park saves us a long walk. We have to leave Felixstowe two hours before kickoff and its chaos getting out at the end of the games.
The train times are hopeless for the match and need to be shifted 15 minutes to allow a walk to and from the ground. If the council are taking even a part of the parking area then we are fked.
Portman Plaza on 18:07 - Jun 9 with 1930 viewsKropotkin123

Ahh, Crown Pools. Not being from Ipswich (Cambridge) I didn't go often, but I have one fond memory out of my handful.

I was minding my own business, head down in the water, probably pretending there were fish underneath, when I got a tap on my shoulder. I stand up, and before the water had even ceased falling over my ears, allowing me to hear, I got punched in the face by a random kid.

Turns out my older sister had got into an argument with him and directed him my way. Luckily it didn't hurt, because we were kids and the water caused drag.

I was dragged out of the water by my Grandad, got told off for fighting, and we left the pool. Fun times.

#Justice4Kropotkin

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Portman Plaza on 18:23 - Jun 9 with 1910 viewsVeggie

Portman Plaza on 19:13 - Jun 8 by monytowbray

Can’t Wait for the Kevin Beattie Memorial Skate Park to open.

I really hope they call it “Kevin is a Halfpipe”

[Post edited 9 Jun 2022 18:24]
Portman Plaza on 18:29 - Jun 9 with 1878 viewsBigeze

Won’t be a problem for me as Mrs Eze is opening a practice in a building the handford road end of Portman road Aug this year with secure parking……result.
Portman Plaza on 19:05 - Jun 9 with 1831 viewsNthQldITFC

Portman Plaza on 18:29 - Jun 9 by Bigeze

Won’t be a problem for me as Mrs Eze is opening a practice in a building the handford road end of Portman road Aug this year with secure parking……result.

Warms the cockles of your heart.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Portman Plaza on 10:40 - Jun 10 with 1481 viewsHarlestonblue

Portman Plaza on 13:31 - Jun 9 by greenkingtone

Yeah that's right boy! my mates and I aremobility disabled and the car park saves us a long walk. We have to leave Felixstowe two hours before kickoff and its chaos getting out at the end of the games.
The train times are hopeless for the match and need to be shifted 15 minutes to allow a walk to and from the ground. If the council are taking even a part of the parking area then we are fked.

May I suggest you contact Mark Ashton at the club about this? I am sure he will be sympathetic to your parking issues and willing to negotiate with the Council over the provision of parking spaces.
I agree with you about the train times after evening matches. I wonder if Greater Anglia are open to the idea of running extra trains on matchdays, or at least longer trains. They have provided both on the Ipswich to Cambridge and Ipswich to Peterborough routes when we have played these teams, albeit after pressure from fans.
Portman Plaza on 12:52 - Jun 10 with 1363 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Portman Plaza on 13:00 - Jun 8 by dirtyboy

Any pool would be a drain on resources due to heating atm.
Some looking at closures already.

Essex have 3 50meter Basildon and Stratford and another No spectators.
Norfolk at Norwich 1

It would be nice similar to the set up at Sunderland!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024