Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frank Clarke - R.I.P 13:02 - Jun 3 with 3380 viewsBlue_badge

Those old enough to remember our first season in the old First Division after promotion under Bill McGarry will remember how we struggled until Jimmy Robertson and Frank Clarke were signed. Between them they injected energy, quality and a bit of belief into the team, and us supporters.
I feel the contribution that they made to a long period of subsequent success is often overlooked.
R.I.P Frank, one if my boyhood heroes and a reason why I learned to love The Towen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61682556

EDIT - thinking about it, was probably our 2nd season.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 13:06]
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 13:48 - Jun 3 with 3265 viewsKeno

I never realised he was Allan Clarke’s brother

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 14:00 - Jun 3 with 3239 viewsJamestownPrince

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 13:48 - Jun 3 by Keno

Used to see Allan in Ladbrokes when I lived down the road from him in Walsall... Never knew Frank, however he ran a Leisure centre in Shropshire where my good friends parents moved to. RIP Frank.
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 14:12 - Jun 3 with 3216 viewsMeadowlark

RIP Frank. One of my first favourite players. I remember an "impossible" goal he scored in front of the North Stand. The ball was played in to the box along the ground and he beat the keeper in a chase and managed to flick the ball upwards and impart a back spin which took it over the keepers head and into the net.
I also recall him tugging his brother Allan's shirt in a match against (dirty) Leeds, which resulted in some joviality.
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 14:13 - Jun 3 with 3213 viewsnoel

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 14:00 - Jun 3 by JamestownPrince

Used to see Allan in Ladbrokes when I lived down the road from him in Walsall... Never knew Frank, however he ran a Leisure centre in Shropshire where my good friends parents moved to. RIP Frank.

The signing of Frank Clarke and Jimmy Robertson was vital in assuring the preservation of our top flight status that year. Frank gave us a real goal threat and got on the end of `jimmy Robertson’s crosses. A really clever signing by Bobby Robson. RIP Frank.
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 14:25 - Jun 3 with 3197 viewsMerthyrblue

Can still see him heading in a Jimmy Robertson cross at the Churchmans end. Vital 2-1 win against Arsenal if I remember correctly. Never heard PR so loud. Without his goals I doubt we would have stayed up and I guess the Robson glory years may not have happened.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 14:25]
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 14:29 - Jun 3 with 3164 viewsChurchman

I thought signing Frank Clarke was a real barrel scraper. A desperate punt on a donkey who carried his brother’s name but not his ability. As a kid, I was hardly going to see him in Shoot any time soon.

15 goals in 66 appearances between 70-73 suggests I might have been right. But I wasn’t. Frank came in with Jimmy Robertson, who was a terrific player, and their great partnership dug us out of a lack goals hole and was crucially important in the struggle years before Robsons first good team (72/73)

I hate the phrase ‘doing a job’, but Frank Clarke really do that for us. I don’t remember a huge amount about how he played but he was better than what we had (Crawford and O’Rourke had long gone) at that time.

RIP Frank.
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 14:51 - Jun 3 with 3116 viewsBloomBlue

We often talk about 'what if' in our Town history 'what if Robson had decided against joining us' etc etc but the what ifs never include that Jimmy Robertson/Frank Clarke partnership. But as you say that partnership was a huge part of our long term success but most fans never give it the credit it deserves.

RIP FC
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 16:16 - Jun 3 with 2989 viewsDJR

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 13:48 - Jun 3 by Keno

Me neither. Talk of Allan Clarke reminds of the time my dad was travelling back on the train from London in the early 70s, and managed to get for me the autographs of Don Revie and the entire Leeds team who were travelling to Ipswich for a game. Very different days to today when elite players are far removed from the hoi polloi.
Login to get fewer ads

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 19:04 - Jun 3 with 2823 viewsshaunmahony

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 14:25 - Jun 3 by Merthyrblue

Can still see him heading in a Jimmy Robertson cross at the Churchmans end. Vital 2-1 win against Arsenal if I remember correctly. Never heard PR so loud. Without his goals I doubt we would have stayed up and I guess the Robson glory years may not have happened.

Exactly right. That was some night - I remember it clearly - and you are right about the noise level pushing the team on to a win - I think Baxter headed in the other goal. Without that win, as you say probably relegation and then no glory years. Jimmy Robertson was magic - I voted for him for one of the 10 faces on the stand posters
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 19:13 - Jun 3 with 2814 viewsjaykay

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 14:00 - Jun 3 by JamestownPrince

frank was the only brother of 5 who never played for walsall . all 5 were professional footballers

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 20:40 - Jun 3 with 2736 viewsmonty_radio

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 14:51 - Jun 3 by BloomBlue

We often talk about 'what if' in our Town history 'what if Robson had decided against joining us' etc etc but the what ifs never include that Jimmy Robertson/Frank Clarke partnership. But as you say that partnership was a huge part of our long term success but most fans never give it the credit it deserves.

RIP FC

They gave us a feeling that we were no longer to be strugglers just waiting for the trapddoor to spring open. Suddenly we had a bit of top division class and nous.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 21:16 - Jun 3 with 2700 viewshochiblue

Was that the match when he caught Bob Wilson's head on the full volley? Seemed to be a popular move at the time!
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 22:23 - Jun 3 with 2622 viewsRoyal_Blue

Sure I remember him getting a last minute equaliser àt WBA third round FA Cup. RIP Frank.
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 22:57 - Jun 3 with 2573 viewssoclopath

Great player,remember their first game,evening game against Arsenal,starring Peter Marinello.
R.I.P. Frank shouldn’t be a forgotten Town Hero.
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 23:48 - Jun 3 with 2545 viewsSuffolktractor

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 22:57 - Jun 3 by soclopath

Great player,remember their first game,evening game against Arsenal,starring Peter Marinello.
R.I.P. Frank shouldn’t be a forgotten Town Hero.

That was my first ever game at Portman Road. 9 years old, in the West stand with my Dad. Just remember the noise and excitement. 50 years later, still hooked!!
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 00:33 - Jun 4 with 2509 viewsfloridablue

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 22:23 - Jun 3 by Royal_Blue

Sure I remember him getting a last minute equaliser àt WBA third round FA Cup. RIP Frank.

yes.... I was there for that one. Don't think I missed seeing many of Frank's goals live, during his two seasons with us...home or away! RIP.
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 08:50 - Jun 4 with 2376 viewspatrickswell

From In Quest of Glory - Bobby Robson at Ipswich Town 1969-82, a match summary of our goalless draw at Newcastle in November 1970:

“Frank Clarke came closest to scoring, his header being scrambled off the line - by Frank Clark!”
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 09:35 - Jun 4 with 2348 viewsWeWereZombies

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 16:16 - Jun 3 by DJR

Me neither. Talk of Allan Clarke reminds of the time my dad was travelling back on the train from London in the early 70s, and managed to get for me the autographs of Don Revie and the entire Leeds team who were travelling to Ipswich for a game. Very different days to today when elite players are far removed from the hoi polloi.

Many years ago on this forum someone told the story of how Jimmy Robertson would join in the kick about on one of those big rectangles of grass that featured as part of the housing estates, this was after getting off an Ipswich Corporation bus on his way back from training...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 10:45 - Jun 4 with 2297 viewsNorrisHatter

I remember that night vividly. All the goals at the Churchman's end where I, a teenager at the time, was stood with my dad. 0-1 at HT - Charlie George I think - seem to remember his classic "I'll lie down, you pick me" up celebration.

Then in the second half something really strange happened. It still gives me goose bumps even now, typing this. Town pressed forward and the Churchman's was transformed. I used to moan at my dad for insisting on going in there as all the noise was always at the North Stand end. The only sound of note I recall was the floorboards rattling from the "pensioners shuffle" on cold January Saturdays.

But that night......

The crowd got louder and louder and louder. Four corners one after another scrambled back over the goal line by defenders. The fifth swung in and Billy Baxter seemed to hang in the air as he met it full on with his head and it smashed into the net. A cacophony of shouting and cheering that didn't stop. I turned to my dad but I couldn't hear what he was saying above the din.

On it went. A long ball up to Frank Clarke who meets it on the edge of the box with a perfect volley rifling into the top corner.

The equaliser had sparked deafening noise and celebration but that was nothing compared to this. Absolute bedlam. Strangers who had stood with us for seasons and never spoken embracing and going mad with joy.

How does a crowd that never gets over emotional completely lose it like this? Just for one night. You would have to ask a psychologist I guess.

If someone offered me a time machine trip back to see again just one Town game from my past, it wouldn't be the cup final, it wouldn't be a European glory night or the 6-0 against Utd.

It would be that night. That one, quite remarkable night.
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 11:57 - Jun 4 with 2246 viewsDJR

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 10:45 - Jun 4 by NorrisHatter

I remember that night vividly. All the goals at the Churchman's end where I, a teenager at the time, was stood with my dad. 0-1 at HT - Charlie George I think - seem to remember his classic "I'll lie down, you pick me" up celebration.

Then in the second half something really strange happened. It still gives me goose bumps even now, typing this. Town pressed forward and the Churchman's was transformed. I used to moan at my dad for insisting on going in there as all the noise was always at the North Stand end. The only sound of note I recall was the floorboards rattling from the "pensioners shuffle" on cold January Saturdays.

But that night......

The crowd got louder and louder and louder. Four corners one after another scrambled back over the goal line by defenders. The fifth swung in and Billy Baxter seemed to hang in the air as he met it full on with his head and it smashed into the net. A cacophony of shouting and cheering that didn't stop. I turned to my dad but I couldn't hear what he was saying above the din.

On it went. A long ball up to Frank Clarke who meets it on the edge of the box with a perfect volley rifling into the top corner.

The equaliser had sparked deafening noise and celebration but that was nothing compared to this. Absolute bedlam. Strangers who had stood with us for seasons and never spoken embracing and going mad with joy.

How does a crowd that never gets over emotional completely lose it like this? Just for one night. You would have to ask a psychologist I guess.

If someone offered me a time machine trip back to see again just one Town game from my past, it wouldn't be the cup final, it wouldn't be a European glory night or the 6-0 against Utd.

Fantastic description. Sadly my memory of the game is more hazy than yours.
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 23:42 - Jun 5 with 2026 viewsMerthyrblue

But that night......

Thanks for that vivid description. Its the match that sticks in my mind too as the most fantastic atmosphere and occasion. So the header I remember from a Robertson cross was by Baxter not Clarke. Ah well ...
[Post edited 5 Jun 2022 23:46]
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 23:52 - Jun 5 with 2002 viewsXYZ

But that night......

Sounds like a Roy of the Rovers script!
Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 09:24 - Jun 6 with 1924 viewsDyland

Proper TWTD thread this, in a sea of bickering and feeble banter. Top stuff!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 18:06 - Jun 6 with 1813 viewsTangledupin_Blue

But that night......

Spot on...

Fantastic atmosphere that night. Prior to that the 'Churchmans Roar' was a bit of a joke among us Northstanders. I haven't known a better atmosphere at PR.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 20:55 - Jun 6 with 1758 viewsRadlett_blue

Frank Clarke - R.I.P on 18:06 - Jun 6 by Tangledupin_Blue

Spot on...

Fantastic atmosphere that night. Prior to that the 'Churchmans Roar' was a bit of a joke among us Northstanders. I haven't known a better atmosphere at PR.

Yes, that was pretty much the Arsenal team that did the "double" the next season. 25,713 at PR which was a huge crowd in those days.
We found Arsenal very hard to beat in those days - we drew 0-0 in the league cup the following season before being crushed in the replay, which was the start of 7 consecutive Town defeats to the gooners.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024