Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls 13:14 - Apr 22 with 5858 viewsBobbychase

Correct me if I'm wrong. There may be stuff going on behind the scenes, but here are the facts.

1 We scout him, a promising rugby player, and sign him into our Academy
2 We coach him to be a footballer and provide him with accommodation, contract etc.
3 We choose Swindon Town as a good place for him to develop as a player, presumably based on the football they play,/coaching reputation etc.
4 He has a promising first half of the season in League Two, so we recall him to preserve OUR asset who WE discovered and pay the wages of.
5 He or his agent decide they don't want to stay at ITFC and things fall apart.

With that in mind, I am finding some criticism of the club baffling. Are we supposed to just roll over with every player? And please, I've seen a couple of references to this being like Rhodes and Wickham. I know people who are Swindon season ticket holders and saw most of his games. They were impressed with his pace and speed but not his finishing or control, and would be amazed if he went to a Championship club. Rhodes and Wickham were very special players and everybody knew that. Wickham in particular had proved himself against Championship defences. Simpson's work has all been in League Two.

I'm really not sure what else the club could have done.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 13:14]

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:47 - Apr 22 with 798 viewsLeoMuff

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:43 - Apr 22 by wkj

When a young player sees his future elsewhere there are usually a few on here who like to rip em apart like rabid dogs. Yes, it is frustrating to see em go, but when you have a career that lasts about 15 years, you don't have the luxury of waiting around. If Simpson feels his senior career can get going elsewhere, then can you really blame him for not wanting to wait around and see if he will eventually do the same here.

Some of the comments about Simpson have been predictably disgusting over the last few days.

Rather depends where they end up, if he goes to a championship club with even less chance of first team games I think fans are right to pissed they lost a young player with high potential after 4 first team appearances

What comments have been disgusting ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:48 - Apr 22 with 794 viewsJackPITFC

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:46 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

I suppose the proof is, if other clubs are willing to pay a greater wage than we are offering, as Phil and Joe have said, then we aren’t hitting what he could expect elsewhere. The question is then are we being too cautious with our offer or is it at the limit of what we can afford.

I think it's more to do with that he wants his pay to be more in line with our senior strikers, as well as a clear pathway through to regular first team football, unfortunately for him at moment the priority is for the club to get promoted.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 14:49]
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:49 - Apr 22 with 786 viewspointofblue

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:42 - Apr 22 by JackPITFC

I understand we viewed his loan as potentially the end of his time at Ipswich as was out of contract and hadn't done enough prior to the Swindon loan to earn a contract.

But because of his progression whilst out on loan the club wanted to reward him with a new contract, unfortunately his head was turned by his agent when apparently a deal was already on the table and agreed and the goalposts had been changed with wanting a pathway to first team football regularly, due to Championship interest.

He loved his time at Swindon, but Ipswich refused to allow Simpson back out on loan as contract issues occurred like Phil reported and because we didn't want to help develop a player who had no future at the club and wanted to move elsewhere and he is hoping and praying the club don't activate his extension clause.

From the club’s point of view I cannot see why we wouldn’t activate the extension if we do not receive a bid which matches our valuation.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:50 - Apr 22 with 787 viewsjayessess

If Simpson had been rubbish in his loan spell, we'd be releasing him imminently, like we will Bailey Clements and Brett McGavin. The idea he owes us more loyalty than we'd show him is daft.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:50 - Apr 22 with 774 viewsLeoMuff

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:49 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

From the club’s point of view I cannot see why we wouldn’t activate the extension if we do not receive a bid which matches our valuation.

We would surely activate whatever the scenario as it will significantly increase his value.

The only Muff in Town.

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:52 - Apr 22 with 772 viewswkj

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:47 - Apr 22 by LeoMuff

Rather depends where they end up, if he goes to a championship club with even less chance of first team games I think fans are right to pissed they lost a young player with high potential after 4 first team appearances

You don't have to look too hard over the broader ITFC social media spectrum to find your selection of vitriol. Even if Simpson ends up in a championship setup with limited game time, it has come to the fore that our facilities and academy isn't as great as what we advertised for years.

I'm not saying this move is the right one, but the player in question and his management seem to think it is. His co tract is almost up and he's signalled early that he doesn't want a new one. He's hardly gone and strung the club along in that regard either

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:52 - Apr 22 with 772 viewsJackPITFC

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:49 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

Which is why exactly I think he doesn't want the club to activate it, because otherwise he would be free to pick between a number of clubs to go to ready for next season.

Surely the club would receive a bigger transfer fee than compensation, which is what makes me think we will activate it regardless.
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:53 - Apr 22 with 771 viewsBobbychase

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:47 - Apr 22 by LeoMuff

Yes but pissed off with who? Him or the club? Repeating myself but all I can see ITFC have done is protect themselves against the potential loss of an asset.

Who do we support, the club or the player?

Login to get fewer ads

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:55 - Apr 22 with 760 viewsBobbychase

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:46 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

I suppose the proof is, if other clubs are willing to pay a greater wage than we are offering, as Phil and Joe have said, then we aren’t hitting what he could expect elsewhere. The question is then are we being too cautious with our offer or is it at the limit of what we can afford.

Under Gamechanger, do we seem like a club that underpays based on talent? The signings of Morsy and Walton in particular would suggest not.

I would also argue that our manager is not only a very promising coach, but also has extensive experience developing young players. If this is down to agent advice, then it's terrible advice.

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:56 - Apr 22 with 754 viewsTVRBlue

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:29 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

Offering him a pathway or a wage commensurate with his ability, so he now wants the employer/employee relationship to end

Kieran McKenna has said he's spoken with Simpson about how ITFC, his current employer, see his pathway at ITFC, and this will naturally include discussions about how to develop and improve him as a professional footballer, hopefully culminating in him breaking in to the first team squad and, in time, the first team itself. Phil has also said the Club has offered him a new Contract and a salary commensurate with his ability as they currently see it as his current employer.

I genuinely don't see what the Club has done wrong in this instance.

The fact Simpson and/or his Agent think he should have received a better Contract or better pay structure is, of course, their prerogative.

Simpson, together with his Agent, have decided to end negotiations relating to a new Contract so Town will, I would expect, take up the existing Contract extension so they can receive a fee for him which is wholly fair. If no-one comes in for him with a satisfactory offer over the summer I would expect the club will probably put him out on loan (rather than training/playing for the U23's) where he will be in the shop window.

He will then hopefully be able to get a Contract and salary from a different club that he/his Agent feels he should have in the January transfer window.

The simple fact seems to be that ITFC don't currently value him as highly as he, or his Agent, does.
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:56 - Apr 22 with 755 viewsPhilTWTD

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:48 - Apr 22 by JackPITFC

I think it's more to do with that he wants his pay to be more in line with our senior strikers, as well as a clear pathway through to regular first team football, unfortunately for him at moment the priority is for the club to get promoted.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 14:49]

Don't think his sights are set that high but higher than he has been offered.
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:56 - Apr 22 with 753 viewsLeoMuff

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:53 - Apr 22 by Bobbychase

Yes but pissed off with who? Him or the club? Repeating myself but all I can see ITFC have done is protect themselves against the potential loss of an asset.

With him and his agent.

The only Muff in Town.

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:59 - Apr 22 with 740 viewsJackPITFC

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:56 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

Yeah sorry I stand corrected more in line with where he is at as a professional footballer, rather than an academy prospect.
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:59 - Apr 22 with 738 viewstractorboy1978

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:55 - Apr 22 by Bobbychase

Under Gamechanger, do we seem like a club that underpays based on talent? The signings of Morsy and Walton in particular would suggest not.

I would also argue that our manager is not only a very promising coach, but also has extensive experience developing young players. If this is down to agent advice, then it's terrible advice.

It's not terrible advice if he goes somewhere else on 2/3 times the money and gets a decent loan move to a L1 club where he plays regularly next season though is it?
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:01 - Apr 22 with 734 viewstractorboy1978

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:52 - Apr 22 by JackPITFC

Which is why exactly I think he doesn't want the club to activate it, because otherwise he would be free to pick between a number of clubs to go to ready for next season.

Surely the club would receive a bigger transfer fee than compensation, which is what makes me think we will activate it regardless.

Presumably if we opted not to trigger his contract extension, we wouldn't get any compensation anyway? So, we are going to trigger it for sure?
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:03 - Apr 22 with 728 viewsJackPITFC

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:01 - Apr 22 by tractorboy1978

Presumably if we opted not to trigger his contract extension, we wouldn't get any compensation anyway? So, we are going to trigger it for sure?

I think because he is under the age of 24 and has been with the club since a young age, you are entitled to compensation for the training and development of the player from the club he moves too.

Obviously Joe will know more than me.
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:04 - Apr 22 with 726 viewswkj

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:53 - Apr 22 by Bobbychase

You can support the club and show empathy towards a player at the same time. People getting pissed off in general is the problem, regardless of who they blame. I very much doubt Simpson would be the person we need to get us promoted, and that goal of promotion has to be priority over anything.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:06 - Apr 22 with 724 viewsjayessess

I don't particularly think the club has done much wrong by Simpson but everything else is a judgement call, isn't it?

Reading between the lines, it seems we have a relatively rigid wage structure for young fringe players. There's every possibility that's a good idea, something that controls the wage bill and prevents us investing too much in young players who don't ultimately make it. But if Simpson and Gibbs turn out to be a Championship level footballers, we'll have made a false economy on both occasions. Taking the second position doesn't mean you aren't supporting the club, does it?

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:07 - Apr 22 with 718 viewsitfcjoe

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:03 - Apr 22 by JackPITFC

I think because he is under the age of 24 and has been with the club since a young age, you are entitled to compensation for the training and development of the player from the club he moves too.

Obviously Joe will know more than me.

You have to have offered a contract on at least their current wage to be due compensation so sure that will be the case if we weren't to trigger the option - but we will trigger the option to get a better fee as reality is we have nothing to lose by doing so

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:11 - Apr 22 with 703 viewsBobbychase

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:04 - Apr 22 by wkj

You can support the club and show empathy towards a player at the same time. People getting pissed off in general is the problem, regardless of who they blame. I very much doubt Simpson would be the person we need to get us promoted, and that goal of promotion has to be priority over anything.

I'm not angry with the player. Let's get that clear. He has the right to do what he wants.

But I refuse to accept this weird narrative that is developing that he is somehow being treated badly by the club.

As a season ticket holder and Academy sponsor, the club have done nothing wrong in my book.

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:12 - Apr 22 with 701 viewsJackPITFC

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:07 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

You have to have offered a contract on at least their current wage to be due compensation so sure that will be the case if we weren't to trigger the option - but we will trigger the option to get a better fee as reality is we have nothing to lose by doing so

Joe,

Do you think this could be a common theme for a lot of the young players coming through that can't see a clear pathway through to the first team then?

Obviously hear good things about Humphries on a regular basis and hoping it doesn't come back and haunt us in the future for other young talent.
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:14 - Apr 22 with 689 viewsjayessess

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:11 - Apr 22 by Bobbychase

I'm not angry with the player. Let's get that clear. He has the right to do what he wants.

But I refuse to accept this weird narrative that is developing that he is somehow being treated badly by the club.

As a season ticket holder and Academy sponsor, the club have done nothing wrong in my book.

In general we've not done a lot wrong, but... if (as it seems) we did recall him from a positive loan experience to play hardball over his contract then personally I don't think that was very productive move on our part.

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:17 - Apr 22 with 681 viewsBobbychase

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:14 - Apr 22 by jayessess

In general we've not done a lot wrong, but... if (as it seems) we did recall him from a positive loan experience to play hardball over his contract then personally I don't think that was very productive move on our part.

The loan spell made him a saleable asset, so we moved to tie him to a longer deal. I'm sure it was inconvenient for him but I'm not a Tyreece Simpson fan, I'm an Ipswich fan. Club did the right thing.

We've been shafted so many times over transfers in the Evans era, and had the cream of our Academy swiped for pitiful compensation fees more than once by Premier League clubs. Good on Ashton etc for playing hardball.

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:25 - Apr 22 with 671 viewsitfcjoe

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:06 - Apr 22 by jayessess

I don't particularly think the club has done much wrong by Simpson but everything else is a judgement call, isn't it?

Reading between the lines, it seems we have a relatively rigid wage structure for young fringe players. There's every possibility that's a good idea, something that controls the wage bill and prevents us investing too much in young players who don't ultimately make it. But if Simpson and Gibbs turn out to be a Championship level footballers, we'll have made a false economy on both occasions. Taking the second position doesn't mean you aren't supporting the club, does it?

Just listened to a YT video with Stu Watson and he seems to think that the young player contracts are a bit all over the place and Ashton is trying to bring it into a more standardised structure.

Ultimately that doesn't currently help Simpson if he wants to be paid what his cohorts like Dobra, El Miz and Ndaba here are earning, and has every right to expect that.

If we lose one promising youth player every season over this, then we aren't getting it right though so hopefully there isn't anyone else we struggle to tie down - I note Tawanda Chirewa is out of contract this summer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 15:25 - Apr 22 with 660 viewsGuthrum

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:56 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

So it basically comes dowm to a difference between ITFC's assessment of his worth/readiness and that of himself/his agent.

Which, IMO, is fair enough on both sides, altho it's the player who will most have to justify his position by the future progress of his career. Best wishes to Simpson, it's his life. If the club have made an error, it may cost them to rectify it by hiring someone else.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024