Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So now the season is over 11:42 - Apr 5 with 4989 viewschicoazul

What do we all think of the much-heralded players we bought in last year?
For me there are only a few unqualified successes; Walton Edmundson Burns Chaplin.
I’d say Morsy is very borderline as he misses so many games. Aluko and Evans have as many indifferent games as good. Burgess to be fair has come back very strong after a tough start. The rest have failed.
Of the loans well, I’d break the back to keep Celina, Thompson has been a nett positive, Bonne ok a bad second half of the season but where would we be without his earlier form? Barry and Coulson catastrophic failures.
It is of course the usual banter era irony (and hopefully the final one) that the best players of the McK era so far are a couple of Hurst signings and a youth player.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So now the season is over on 13:04 - Apr 5 with 1128 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 13:02 - Apr 5 by You_Bloo_Right

Season's not over yet.

Sorry to say it is. This club hasn’t won 3 in a row for what, 3 seasons now?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So now the season is over on 13:07 - Apr 5 with 1113 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

So now the season is over on 13:04 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

I have little doubt that when viewed in retrospect you will turn out to be right but I do have a little doubt bouyed by probably unrealistic hope. Nevertheless as things currently stand the season is not over. You think it is, I hope it isn't.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

So now the season is over on 13:09 - Apr 5 with 1103 viewspointofblue

So now the season is over on 13:04 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

Last season - we beat Hull, Doncaster and Accrington under Gill.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So now the season is over on 13:09 - Apr 5 with 1103 viewsSTYG

So now the season is over on 11:51 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

13 yellows in 28 games. And what happened to our form during his most recent suspension?

How many red cards has Morsy had out of interest?

Morsy is a master at getting into the oppositions faces, intimidating them, setting a tempo and, when needed, taking a card for the team. Even when he's had a booking early doors, he then doesn't put a foot wrong afterwards. Only once this season he was lucky to not get a second yellow and he slipped as he was making the tackle.

He's quite the master at it. In an ideal world everyone would play nice but look at Bolton in the playoffs. Seconds away from working. Every time we got going they'd hack us down.

Morsy plays with the sort of aggression that probably leads to the player he is up against not really fancying it and he keeps that intensity up until he's carded then winds it in a bit. It's borderline an art form.
So now the season is over on 13:17 - Apr 5 with 1079 viewsitfcjoe

So now the season is over on 12:57 - Apr 5 by Veggie

I wouldn’t say the most exciting season for 15 or so years has been a ‘huge disappointment’ personally. It’s been enthralling from start to finish.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 12:58]

Exciting in what has gone on around the club, but actual results wise and league table wise? We've not been close to the top 6 all season.

2 years ago we started the season with 27 points from 11 games, and even went back top of the league in January

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So now the season is over on 13:20 - Apr 5 with 1067 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 13:07 - Apr 5 by You_Bloo_Right

I have little doubt that when viewed in retrospect you will turn out to be right but I do have a little doubt bouyed by probably unrealistic hope. Nevertheless as things currently stand the season is not over. You think it is, I hope it isn't.

Haha fair point and I hope you’re right and I’m wrong!

So now the season is over on 13:21 - Apr 5 with 1060 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 13:09 - Apr 5 by STYG

How many red cards has Morsy had out of interest?

Morsy is a master at getting into the oppositions faces, intimidating them, setting a tempo and, when needed, taking a card for the team. Even when he's had a booking early doors, he then doesn't put a foot wrong afterwards. Only once this season he was lucky to not get a second yellow and he slipped as he was making the tackle.

He's quite the master at it. In an ideal world everyone would play nice but look at Bolton in the playoffs. Seconds away from working. Every time we got going they'd hack us down.

Morsy plays with the sort of aggression that probably leads to the player he is up against not really fancying it and he keeps that intensity up until he's carded then winds it in a bit. It's borderline an art form.

He had a red at Boro before he joined us and a de facto red against Accrington which he got suspended for four games for.

So now the season is over on 13:22 - Apr 5 with 1056 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 13:09 - Apr 5 by pointofblue

Last season - we beat Hull, Doncaster and Accrington under Gill.

Soon as I typed that I knew I was wrong! I meant to say more than 3.

Login to get fewer ads

So now the season is over on 13:42 - Apr 5 with 1026 viewsSTYG

So now the season is over on 13:21 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

He had a red at Boro before he joined us and a de facto red against Accrington which he got suspended for four games for.

So you admit he hasn't been sent off for us then?

Not sure what a red card for his previous club (which most people agreed was very harsh) has to do with his performances for Town.

Likewise, there is absolutely no way the Accrington incident should have been a ban, let alone a 4 match one. He put his arm out and caught a guy on the shoulder who went down like he'd been shot. On Saturday a Cambridge player threw (and landed) a punch on Thompson.

That was a joke decision by the FA who presumably had some reason to want to keep Andy Holt happy.

The fact remains Morsy has not been shown a red card for us.
So now the season is over on 13:50 - Apr 5 with 1015 viewsjayessess

Surpassed Expectations
Burns
Walton
Edmundson
Aluko
Bonne to Xmas

Got what we paid for
Chaplin
Celina
Evans
Burgess
Thompson
Bakinson
Morsy

Underwhelming
Penney
Carroll
Hladky
Fraser
Edwards
Bonne post-Xmas

Nothing to judge
Coulson
Barry

Looking like a write-off
Harper
Pigott

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

So now the season is over on 13:53 - Apr 5 with 1007 viewsabracaDOBRA_

So now the season is over on 13:50 - Apr 5 by jayessess

Surpassed Expectations
Burns
Walton
Edmundson
Aluko
Bonne to Xmas

Got what we paid for
Chaplin
Celina
Evans
Burgess
Thompson
Bakinson
Morsy

Underwhelming
Penney
Carroll
Hladky
Fraser
Edwards
Bonne post-Xmas

Nothing to judge
Coulson
Barry

Looking like a write-off
Harper
Pigott

I think Edwards will prove his worth, he needed a goal but then got a few injuries. Will be like a new signing next season
So now the season is over on 14:02 - Apr 5 with 983 viewsjayessess

So now the season is over on 13:53 - Apr 5 by abracaDOBRA_

I think Edwards will prove his worth, he needed a goal but then got a few injuries. Will be like a new signing next season

I think so too. I think he got stuck in an unfortunate dynamic where his first few games he was making good decisions that weren't quite coming off, then got in his own head about it, then started making bad decisions.

So now the season is over on 14:32 - Apr 5 with 950 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Walton, Our best keeper in years
Edmundson Excellent in the present formation
Burgess Recent games have shown him a useful 4th CB
Thompson Mixed bag tbh and not quite sure he fits the role he's currently playing
Morsy Best central midfielder we've had for a while, dominates games
Evans Have missed him badly recently, bit up and down but good when up
Bakinson Improving every game, can't understand why he didn't start on Sat
Chaplin Hard worker, gives plenty, scores - maybe not as creative as we need
Celina Game changer, does go missing for periods/games, worth it for magic bits
Aluko Classy, intelligent. Hope he stays but will need to be used sparingly again
Burns Can be so exciting. We need balance on the left to get the best from him
Pigott Needs to move on for his benefit & ours but hefty contract may prevent
Harper Sadly never lived up to the hype, would he be better with KMK? unlikely
Edwards Enigma, couple of great games, otherwise poor, maybe a few games at LWB
Penney Not done a great deal wrong but does not seem to suit current system
Hladky Well you always need a backup keeper, hope we don't need him too much
Carroll Occasional glimpses of class but generally a bit of a liability
Fraser Shame we never played to his strengths, will be back to haunt us one day
Bonne Unfathomable, if he'd had another hot streak we'd be in the playoffs a shame
Barry Wrong club at the wrong time for him
So now the season is over on 14:45 - Apr 5 with 935 viewsGlasgowBlue

Player Under Cook Under McKenna
Matt PENNEY 5 5
Rekeem HARPER 4 na
George EDMUNDSON 8 7
Luke WOOLFENDEN 5 9
Wes BURNS 9 9
Lee EVANS 6 7
Joe PIGOTT 4 4
James NORWOOD 6 6
Tyreeq BAKINSON na 7
Armando DOBRA 4 na
Idris EL MIZOUNI 5 5
Macauley BONNE 8 5
Kayden JACKSON na 8
Conor CHAPLIN 8 7
Dominic THOMPSON na 7
Sone ALUKO 8 8
Kane VINCENT-YOUNG 5 5
Tom CARROLL 4 5
Cameron BURGESS 5 7
Christian WALTON 9 9
Kyle EDWARDS 6 na
Vaclav HLADKY 4 na
Bersant CELINA 7 8
Janoi DONACIEN 9 9
Samy MORSY 7 9

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So now the season is over on 15:00 - Apr 5 with 899 viewsVeggie

So now the season is over on 13:02 - Apr 5 by J2BLUE

More exciting than the play off season?

Much more. There was a general feeling that we weren’t good enough to get through the playoffs as I remember and was certainly proven by a pathetic capitulation to Norwich.
So now the season is over on 15:03 - Apr 5 with 894 viewsitfcjoe

So now the season is over on 15:00 - Apr 5 by Veggie

Much more. There was a general feeling that we weren’t good enough to get through the playoffs as I remember and was certainly proven by a pathetic capitulation to Norwich.

Obvious troll is obvious

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So now the season is over on 15:54 - Apr 5 with 843 viewsN2_Blue

So now the season is over on 15:00 - Apr 5 by Veggie

"pathetic capitulation" Wtf

You either know nothing about football, didn't even watch the games, or are trolling.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

So now the season is over on 16:52 - Apr 5 with 798 viewsitfcsuth

So now the season is over on 12:25 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

Not much quieter though as on that basis we need 10 players again!

We won't need 10 players at all. I would also anticipate that Celina & Thompson will be bought back, and hopefully Bakinson on a permanent.

That's instantly 3 who won't be classed as new signings.

We will need 1 CM and 2 ST. Possibly 3 if Pigott leaves.

Even if Thompson, Celina & Bakinson aren't here again, should only need 6-7.
So now the season is over on 16:59 - Apr 5 with 782 viewsjayessess

So now the season is over on 16:52 - Apr 5 by itfcsuth

We won't need 10 players at all. I would also anticipate that Celina & Thompson will be bought back, and hopefully Bakinson on a permanent.

You reckon Thompson will be back?

If we get Bakinson permanently and release Tom Carroll, then we'll still have 5 centre senior centre midfielders on the books. Can't see that we'll want to sign another one, especially if we want Cam Humphreys to have a pathway to the first team.

So now the season is over on 17:05 - Apr 5 with 778 viewsitfcsuth

So now the season is over on 16:59 - Apr 5 by jayessess

You reckon Thompson will be back?

If we get Bakinson permanently and release Tom Carroll, then we'll still have 5 centre senior centre midfielders on the books. Can't see that we'll want to sign another one, especially if we want Cam Humphreys to have a pathway to the first team.

No to be fair you're probably right - you don't another CM do you if you have - Evans, Morsy, Bakinson, Harper, El Mizouni.

I do think Thompson will be back. Adds good balance to the backline, has been part of the core backline that has kept 9 clean sheets in 13, as well as being in there for the unbeaten 11 game run.

He is a different player to Burns, but adds good balance, will also add continuity next season which I feel is crucial.
So now the season is over on 17:17 - Apr 5 with 752 viewspointofblue

So now the season is over on 17:05 - Apr 5 by itfcsuth

No to be fair you're probably right - you don't another CM do you if you have - Evans, Morsy, Bakinson, Harper, El Mizouni.

I do think Thompson will be back. Adds good balance to the backline, has been part of the core backline that has kept 9 clean sheets in 13, as well as being in there for the unbeaten 11 game run.

He is a different player to Burns, but adds good balance, will also add continuity next season which I feel is crucial.

I think we’ll either send Harper out on another loan or release him - it was McKenna who sent him to Crewe rather than Cook.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So now the season is over on 17:46 - Apr 5 with 736 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 13:42 - Apr 5 by STYG

So you admit he hasn't been sent off for us then?

Not sure what a red card for his previous club (which most people agreed was very harsh) has to do with his performances for Town.

Likewise, there is absolutely no way the Accrington incident should have been a ban, let alone a 4 match one. He put his arm out and caught a guy on the shoulder who went down like he'd been shot. On Saturday a Cambridge player threw (and landed) a punch on Thompson.

That was a joke decision by the FA who presumably had some reason to want to keep Andy Holt happy.

The fact remains Morsy has not been shown a red card for us.

Pretty sure I didn’t say he had been sent off for us.

So now the season is over on 17:57 - Apr 5 with 733 viewsGuthrum

So now the season is over on 11:53 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

Aluko has had some very indifferent games and scored 3 goals. Chaplin has them too but scored 9. They both play in the same role.

Aluko has the ability to beat defenders around the edge of the box. He can carry the ball through and get it on to those attacking the goal. Not just a skill, but a very useful one for fluid play.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So now the season is over on 18:02 - Apr 5 with 727 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 16:52 - Apr 5 by itfcsuth

We can’t assume any loans will go perm until they do. On the basis of what you e said there we will definitely need ten players *at least*

So now the season is over on 18:23 - Apr 5 with 715 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 17:57 - Apr 5 by Guthrum

Aluko has the ability to beat defenders around the edge of the box. He can carry the ball through and get it on to those attacking the goal. Not just a skill, but a very useful one for fluid play.

I think on his day he’s excellent and might be our best attacker for a technical side but I don’t think we can call him a complete success.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024