Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... 13:31 - Jan 17 with 4737 viewsitfcjoe

...in the summer over the weekend.

Flynn Downes - apparently is absolutely ripping it up at Swansea, and been brilliant - the Swans fan who messaged me was to see do we have a good sell on as they'll struggle to keep him past the summer.

I hope/presume we do have a sell on, and hopefully can see a decent chunk of any profits. I always thought a smaller PL side buying him and then loaning him to a Champ side was an absolute no brainer like Brighton have done with Matt Clarke. At £1.5m was such a low risk move but hopefully this route helps us benefit more financially

Teddy Bishop - apparently due to covid and injury crisis at Lincoln they have had to move full backs to centre back, and Teddy has been playing at right back for them! I can't say I've ever seen him play there even at any youth level even for a minute.....I'd be surprised if his body holds up to that and just had a look and sounds as though may be the case:

The midfielder-turned-right-back has been struggling with a groin issue which saw him taken off in the games against Sunderland and Cambridge.

It is a long-standing problem which may require him to come out of the side for a period soon.

Speaking ahead of the game at Rotherham, Appleton said: "He's going to be 50/50 for tomorrow. He's had the issue for a while. We don't expect him to be out for a long time but if we don't address it at some point, that might be the case.

"We'll be guided by him and the medical team. At some point he's going to have to miss a game or two. Hopefully we can somehow get him to the Plymouth game on Saturday when we know we've got a full week [without a midweek game]."

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:48 - Jan 17 with 629 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Downes is the one we'll really regret I think. Has great attributes and I think he'll play in the Premier League.
Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:48 - Jan 17 with 628 viewsChurchman

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 13:53 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

The correct decision would have been using the same powers of persuasion (and finances) that persuaded likes of Chaplin, Celina, Morsy and Walton to play in League 1 rather than just help usher them out the door after throwing him and all his mates under the bus

He wanted out the year before. I think his going was inevitable and it could be argued that selling him a year earlier would have been more beneficial - but maybe not.

I’m not surprised he’s doing well. He looked excellent when he broke into the team and while it took a while to get over his injury problems, he was far too good for this level. Bishop? Always liked him as a player, but oh those injury problems robbed him of so much. Dozzell? Release clause. He was another for whom time here was up.

Of the three I wonder if Bishop and Dozzell might have stayed if KM had been here and not Cook, but this is all idle, baseless speculation and I suspect you are more in the know on that than me.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 15:54]
Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:50 - Jan 17 with 621 viewsITFCBlues

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 13:53 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

The correct decision would have been using the same powers of persuasion (and finances) that persuaded likes of Chaplin, Celina, Morsy and Walton to play in League 1 rather than just help usher them out the door after throwing him and all his mates under the bus

Let's be honest, Downes aside, non of the others are ripping up any trees are they?

Dozzell finds himself back on the bench again. The Col U lads fighting relegation. No one else has achieved anything.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:50 - Jan 17 with 621 viewsitfcjoe

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:48 - Jan 17 by Churchman

He wanted out the year before. I think his going was inevitable and it could be argued that selling him a year earlier would have been more beneficial - but maybe not.

I’m not surprised he’s doing well. He looked excellent when he broke into the team and while it took a while to get over his injury problems, he was far too good for this level. Bishop? Always liked him as a player, but oh those injury problems robbed him of so much. Dozzell? Release clause. He was another for whom time here was up.

Of the three I wonder if Bishop and Dozzell might have stayed if KM had been here and not Cook, but this is all idle, baseless speculation and I suspect you are more in the know on that than me.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 15:54]

To be truthful no one knows really - but I don't think they would have stayed for Cook after how the squad was treated last year, see also Gwion Edwards turning down his deal and leaving.

The squad is decent now, and hopefully we have protected ourselves with sell ons and the likes but it was careless to do what we did - and Woolf would have gone too and he's now starting to look quality again in a back 3 and already got clubs watching him from divisions above - think QPR very interested and will see how things play out

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:52 - Jan 17 with 588 viewsitfcjoe

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:50 - Jan 17 by ITFCBlues

Let's be honest, Downes aside, non of the others are ripping up any trees are they?

Dozzell finds himself back on the bench again. The Col U lads fighting relegation. No one else has achieved anything.

Dozzell was on the bench because he'd missed 2 game suspended which they won both of - started the dozen before then for the side 5th in the Championship so fair to say he si doing alright since leaving here

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:55 - Jan 17 with 560 viewsSwansea_Blue

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:48 - Jan 17 by PrideOfTheEast

Downes is the one we'll really regret I think. Has great attributes and I think he'll play in the Premier League.

The issue with Downes is that we think he wanted away. If we couldn't convince him to stay and really be part of things here we needed to let him go. Had McK been here at the time maybe things could have worked out differently, but who knows.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 16:04 - Jan 17 with 514 viewsITFCBlues

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:52 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

Dozzell was on the bench because he'd missed 2 game suspended which they won both of - started the dozen before then for the side 5th in the Championship so fair to say he si doing alright since leaving here

And now playing for their u23s.

He's doing alright perhaps, but he's not pulling up any trees. Zero goals and 1 assist all season and he's started less than half their games this season.

I wouldn't say he's ripping it up or massivley missed here.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 17:37 - Jan 17 with 384 viewsSharkey

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 13:51 - Jan 17 by borge

Who the hell is the co-commentator on that?! The commentator isn't much good, but the co-commentator is ridiculous!

I don't know what colour Swansea are wearing, but I like it a lot.
Login to get fewer ads

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 17:39 - Jan 17 with 382 viewsDyland

Had a couple of interesting messages about academy players let go... on 15:00 - Jan 17 by franz_tyson

If we had a savvy CEO and recruitment team at the time, Downes would have been sold the year before at a decent price with a replacement in mind. Don’t blame Downes for wanting to further his career and we should encourage it to an extent. That’s football and keeping the best youngsters too long could mean we clip their wings and we end up receiving less money if their form/ potential plateaus. What did we get for Bishop - 225k? There was talk of PL clubs offering millions for him a few years before. Big clubs pay extra for early potential and maybe we need to take advantage if we get similar offers.

I would have been fuming if Bishop was sold under McCarthy.

Shows what I know, innit.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024