Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? 10:17 - Dec 7 with 2237 viewsHipsterectomy

2 up front? 4-4-2? I’m not sure what system McGreal has played before

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:41 - Dec 7 with 566 viewsSwansea_Blue

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:56 - Dec 7 by DavoIPB

Yes the formation did at times work really well. Celina in the 10 against Wycombe worked perfectly because they didn't pick him up. However McGreal has said he wont change anything yet and his preferred tactic is 4231, sound familiar? He doesn't change from it either.

I think the problem with Cook was not being able get the players to do what he wanted. We would get into good crossing positions then there would be nobody free in the box or making space and the cross would be awful.

By the way I re-watched the crewe game as awake in the night. We absolutely bossed the first half. Players played really well, fought for the ball, the skill level was superb, every player played a part. We restricted them to a half chance and were leagues ahead of them in quality. Looked really good. We only really lost control when Cook brought Chaplin off and put Evans on, Chaplin didn't seem to want to go off either.

I don't think it matters too much. It's more about how the players work on all the detail within the notional formation. I've seen more different styles of 4231 than there are almost formations.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 12:33 - Dec 7 with 535 viewsDurovigutum

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:50 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

I'm hopeful we might see some tactics.

I don't really get the clamour to play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 to be honest. I don't think the formation has been our biggest issue, more a lack of a clear tactical plan and the inability to change things in game when things start going against us.

Everyone who plays football knows how to play a 4-4-2, they know instinctively how to play a 3, or 8 or 11.

Good players who are well coached can play other systems.

When Cook arrived he tried to get the "bomb squad" to play his system. We went from 3 wins in 5 (?) to no wins for ages.

His 19 new players have looked similarly lost at times, perhaps making some progress because they are better players.

When I officiate grassroots or women's national league games I see "thrown together" teams try and be clever, especially in pre season. On one occasion a team three steps above were 3-0 down in 15 minutes because they were trying to play an expansive 4-3-3 with four new signings and were lost.

With one day of coaching I'd be looking to play the percentages. A solid 4-4-2 and try to get three points and stay in touch. That's the name of the game now, not building pretty patterns of play or a system, keep in touch over the difficult Christmas period.

Pragmatic percentages.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 12:41 - Dec 7 with 528 viewsHerbivore

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 12:33 - Dec 7 by Durovigutum

Everyone who plays football knows how to play a 4-4-2, they know instinctively how to play a 3, or 8 or 11.

Good players who are well coached can play other systems.

When Cook arrived he tried to get the "bomb squad" to play his system. We went from 3 wins in 5 (?) to no wins for ages.

His 19 new players have looked similarly lost at times, perhaps making some progress because they are better players.

When I officiate grassroots or women's national league games I see "thrown together" teams try and be clever, especially in pre season. On one occasion a team three steps above were 3-0 down in 15 minutes because they were trying to play an expansive 4-3-3 with four new signings and were lost.

With one day of coaching I'd be looking to play the percentages. A solid 4-4-2 and try to get three points and stay in touch. That's the name of the game now, not building pretty patterns of play or a system, keep in touch over the difficult Christmas period.

Pragmatic percentages.

There's a huge difference between grassroots football where sides often are thrown together and professional football where the players are training together every day. I'm not sure that's a strong argument for playing 4-4-2, especially when this squad has been used to playing a different formation all season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:01 - Dec 7 with 503 views3_5_2

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:20 - Dec 7 by StokieBlue

Apparently he has played 442 with the 2 central midfielders being defensive and deeper and then two advanced wingers which could work with this squad.

Celina and Burns advanced with Pigott and Bonne up top could be lethal with Morsy + another holding.

SB

This

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:22 - Dec 7 with 491 viewsGeoffSentence

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:18 - Dec 7 by IpswichKnight

He plays 4-2-3-1

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:24 - Dec 7 with 487 viewsfooters

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:22 - Dec 7 by GeoffSentence

Anyone know who has the Adicts flag at PR? Glorious.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:44 - Dec 7 with 469 viewsbroncos77

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:24 - Dec 7 by footers

Anyone know who has the Adicts flag at PR? Glorious.

Just a little nearer the 3-5-2 I'd prefer, and not the'resting' of Morsy and Bonne that I'd like
With the players we have available I expect:
Walton
Donacien Woolf, Burgess, KVY
Morsy, El Miz
Aluko Fraser Chaplin
Bonne
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:45 - Dec 7 with 466 viewsHerbivore

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:44 - Dec 7 by broncos77

Just a little nearer the 3-5-2 I'd prefer, and not the'resting' of Morsy and Bonne that I'd like
With the players we have available I expect:
Walton
Donacien Woolf, Burgess, KVY
Morsy, El Miz
Aluko Fraser Chaplin
Bonne

Woolf and Burgess? It's a league game, mate.

Login to get fewer ads

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:56 - Dec 7 with 440 viewsTheBoyBlue

I don't mind what formation he plays, so long as he's willing to change it if it's not working.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:58 - Dec 7 with 431 viewsitfcsuth

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:45 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

Woolf and Burgess? It's a league game, mate.

Will be Nsiala & Burgess you'd imagine. ThinK Edmundson out injured, along with Burns. 2 key players missing there.

Having said that, should be incredibly physically dominating with Nsiala and Burgess there.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 14:22 - Dec 7 with 419 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:56 - Dec 7 by DavoIPB

Yes the formation did at times work really well. Celina in the 10 against Wycombe worked perfectly because they didn't pick him up. However McGreal has said he wont change anything yet and his preferred tactic is 4231, sound familiar? He doesn't change from it either.

I think the problem with Cook was not being able get the players to do what he wanted. We would get into good crossing positions then there would be nobody free in the box or making space and the cross would be awful.

By the way I re-watched the crewe game as awake in the night. We absolutely bossed the first half. Players played really well, fought for the ball, the skill level was superb, every player played a part. We restricted them to a half chance and were leagues ahead of them in quality. Looked really good. We only really lost control when Cook brought Chaplin off and put Evans on, Chaplin didn't seem to want to go off either.

subs not needed against crewe. especially evans.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 14:31 - Dec 7 with 418 viewsHerbivore

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 13:58 - Dec 7 by itfcsuth

Will be Nsiala & Burgess you'd imagine. ThinK Edmundson out injured, along with Burns. 2 key players missing there.

Having said that, should be incredibly physically dominating with Nsiala and Burgess there.

Ah, didn't realise that Edmundson was out. I'd expect Burgess and Toto in that case, should be commanding enough but not a lot of footballing ability on show.

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 14:58 - Dec 7 with 403 viewsDurovigutum

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 12:41 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

There's a huge difference between grassroots football where sides often are thrown together and professional football where the players are training together every day. I'm not sure that's a strong argument for playing 4-4-2, especially when this squad has been used to playing a different formation all season.

And generally I'd agree. But I've watched us recently and we look - lost.

So, do we play "pretty" and find the season has gone by the start of January, or play pragmatic and still have a chance to do the clever stuff AND get promotion this season?

Anyway, that's my "clamour" for 4-4-2. I'd prefer 3-5-2, but again consider that needs more work for the players to understand.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 15:07 - Dec 7 with 394 viewsHerbivore

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 14:58 - Dec 7 by Durovigutum

And generally I'd agree. But I've watched us recently and we look - lost.

So, do we play "pretty" and find the season has gone by the start of January, or play pragmatic and still have a chance to do the clever stuff AND get promotion this season?

Anyway, that's my "clamour" for 4-4-2. I'd prefer 3-5-2, but again consider that needs more work for the players to understand.

But we haven't been trying to play pretty, imo. That we look more lost as the season has progressed is why we've sacked the manager but I remain unconvinced that switching to 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 is any kind of quick fix.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024