Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keane and his biggest regret 14:49 - Aug 10 with 3105 viewscbower

Quite frankly, nobody could have wasted Evans' big money outlay any more than Roy. I think the fact that EVERY Town fan regrets him coming here outweighs his regret. And the considerable sum he trousered in the process should be ample compensation for his regret. To$$er.

bluescouser

Keane and his biggest regret on 19:20 - Aug 10 with 455 viewsstonojnr

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:01 - Aug 10 by Zx1988

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Nobody at the time predicted the collapse of ITV Digital, and Ipswich were far from the only club to find themselves shafted by the resultant reduction in revenue.

well the club went into administration with debts of 45million, having reported a 2.5million profit at the end of the 00/01 season, only about half of that total debt were the bonds paying for the new stands, though they accrued interest of 2million per year alone going forward

the clubs wage bill had more than doubled whilst in the premiership it was upto 24million,and 15million alone had been spent on transfers just for 01/02 season.

so Ill leave you to do the maths if you think the 3million that ITV digital would have paid us for ending up in the championship, who had gone into liquidation 5 days after Town lost to Arsenal 2-0 whilst still in the premiership, was the real revenue difference maker there and totally not the folks sitting in the board room signing off the big spending cheques.
Keane and his biggest regret on 21:01 - Aug 10 with 424 viewspatrickswell

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:15 - Aug 10 by homer_123

Evans was an unmitigated disaster, although due to Sheepshanks incompetence (and I do not like what appears to be 'revisionism' going on with him) it was literally out of the frying pan and into the fire.

The thing is Sheepshanks may be seen as the devil incarnate in some eyes because of what happened after May 2001, but he's not in the same league as Evans because his work and the notion of what so many ITFC fans enjoyed about the Burley era was built on Sheepshanks's efforts/ideas over 1996-2001. Evans had none of Sheepshanks's energy, drive and feeling for ITFC which is why, excepting the best years of McCarthy's time, we had virtually nothing to enjoy from 2009 onwards.

It's a footballing tragedy that those who gave us the times of our lives over 1996-2001 fired the gun from which we have effectively bled out for 20 years.
Keane and his biggest regret on 21:47 - Aug 10 with 392 viewsSwansea_Blue

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:35 - Aug 10 by MattinLondon

Sheepshanks was not incompetent and to suggest he was is silly.

Of course. Bloke was at the helm for our best progressive spell in the last 40 years and had to drag us out of the same sort of funk we’re in now. Him and Burley royally fecked up that second season, but it was always going to be a big ask. We’re not the first and won’t be the last team to overreach.

The big black mark for me was the impact on local suppliers (obvious really). I’m not belittling the impact of administration, but it was the result of good intentions as they tried to build a team that could cope with the extra demands of European football. That’s something neither Sheepy or Burley had any experience of, and with a bit of luck around injuries it could have ended better. I don’t remember the fans complaining at the time either.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Keane and his biggest regret on 22:28 - Aug 10 with 369 viewsRyorry

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:27 - Aug 10 by Sivell

The man is an arrogant bully.

It’s bad enough rendering a fellow human unable to walk properly for the rest of his life, without boasting afterwards that you set out deliberately to harm him.

I have also spoken to figures at the club at the time, who have confirmed what we all know, that he is a thoroughly unpleasant character.

Compare this with the adoration that Sir Bob received (deservedly) from his staff and players...

Reminds me of Keane's treatment of Jack Ainsley. These articles by Shane Supple & Owen Garvan are still well-worth reading -

https://www.balls.ie/football/supple-opens-time-roy-keane-ipswich-404362

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ex-ipswich-midfielder-owen-garvan-on-why-he-quit-fo

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Keane and his biggest regret on 22:40 - Aug 10 with 345 viewsSuffolktractor

The man is a thug. Anyone who deliberately goes on a pitch to try to end another footballers career deserves to be in jail.
I shuddered when he was appointed our manager. He destroyed our club.
I am glad his biggest regret was managing us. The feeling is mutual.
Keane and his biggest regret on 22:45 - Aug 10 with 335 viewsCoastalblue

Roy Keane is a weapons grade c**t and if I never, ever set eyes on him again ti would be too soon.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024