Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium 13:33 - Aug 2 with 2846 viewshatch

Surprised me, I’m not sure I can think of 29 pubs in that distance?

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/the-21-football-ground-with-the-most-

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 13:47 - Aug 2 with 2332 viewsSitfcB

That’s from a couple of years ago. We’ve lost a fair few lately

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 13:48 - Aug 2 with 2319 viewsstonojnr

Ipswich only has 58 pubs all told, I can't believe half of them are within half a mile of the ground

I can get to about 14 easily enough,but not 29
Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 13:59 - Aug 2 with 2272 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 13:48 - Aug 2 by stonojnr

Ipswich only has 58 pubs all told, I can't believe half of them are within half a mile of the ground

I can get to about 14 easily enough,but not 29

Off the top of my head the only ones I’d be 100% confident are within half a mile are*:
Curve Bar, Degeros, K Bar, Thomas Wolsey, Judes, Mannings, Arcade Tavern, Falcon, Revs, NYE, Sin, Station Hotel, Penta, Punch & Judy

And then possibly but suspect some over 1/2 a mile:
Silver Star, Isaacs, Waterfront, Wiff Waff, Salutation, Shamrock, Old Rep, Halberd, Nelson, Gardeners Arms, Woolpack, Arboretum, Brewers, Cult

So that’s 27 but several which I’m sure are well outside 1/2 a mile, what have I forgotten?

*haven’t really been in town much in the last year and a half, so some of these may have been covided!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:03 - Aug 2 with 2249 viewstractorboy1978

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 13:59 - Aug 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Off the top of my head the only ones I’d be 100% confident are within half a mile are*:
Curve Bar, Degeros, K Bar, Thomas Wolsey, Judes, Mannings, Arcade Tavern, Falcon, Revs, NYE, Sin, Station Hotel, Penta, Punch & Judy

Silver Star, Isaacs, Waterfront, Wiff Waff, Salutation, Shamrock, Old Rep, Halberd, Nelson, Gardeners Arms, Woolpack, Arboretum, Brewers, Cult

So that’s 27 but several which I’m sure are well outside 1/2 a mile, what have I forgotten?

*haven’t really been in town much in the last year and a half, so some of these may have been covided!

The Greyhound and The Dove? Again, pushing it perhaps.
Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:09 - Aug 2 with 2221 viewsSteve_M

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:03 - Aug 2 by tractorboy1978

The Greyhound and The Dove? Again, pushing it perhaps.

The Greyhound would be in the just over half a mile group.

The Plough & The Swan (assuming both are currently open) are missing too.

Ipswich remains pretty decent by virtue of the ground being on the edge of the town centre.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 14:10]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:10 - Aug 2 with 2205 viewsbournemouthblue

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 13:59 - Aug 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

What's the one just off Norwich Road, the Brewers Arms is it?

Things like Inkerman probably are within reach also, particularly as the crow flies?

Maybe the Earl Kitchener too?
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 14:25]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:12 - Aug 2 with 2171 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:09 - Aug 2 by Steve_M

The Greyhound would be in the just over half a mile group.

The Plough & The Swan (assuming both are currently open) are missing too.

Ipswich remains pretty decent by virtue of the ground being on the edge of the town centre.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 14:10]

Actually meant the Greyhound rather than Gardeners Arms, got the two muddled. But yes think that’s over 1/2 mile

Good shout on Plough and The Swan. Cock and Pye too now I think of it

EDIT: and Three Wise Monkeys, and Cosy Club - I guess we do have a fair few even if lots are sh*t!
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 14:15]

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:13 - Aug 2 with 2153 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:10 - Aug 2 by bournemouthblue

What's the one just off Norwich Road, the Brewers Arms is it?

Things like Inkerman probably are within reach also, particularly as the crow flies?

Maybe the Earl Kitchener too?
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 14:25]

Yeah I did list Brewers. Might be right on Inkerman - I did try and map a couple (slow work day) but gave up as could only do it by route rather than as the crow flies which I assume is how it’s been measured. Either way does seem a rather liberal estimation of half a mile!

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:17 - Aug 2 with 2107 viewstrncbluearmy

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:13 - Aug 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah I did list Brewers. Might be right on Inkerman - I did try and map a couple (slow work day) but gave up as could only do it by route rather than as the crow flies which I assume is how it’s been measured. Either way does seem a rather liberal estimation of half a mile!

Arbor House, Three Wise Monkeys, Briarbank
Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:18 - Aug 2 with 2104 viewslongtimefan

What about the Black Horse, or has that shut?
Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:18 - Aug 2 with 2101 viewsxrayspecs

Is the Black Horse still open?
Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:22 - Aug 2 with 2065 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:18 - Aug 2 by longtimefan

What about the Black Horse, or has that shut?

Yes, that’s pretty close isn’t it

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:23 - Aug 2 with 2062 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:18 - Aug 2 by xrayspecs

Is the Black Horse still open?

Knew I was putting myself up there to be shot at by listing them 🤣

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:36 - Aug 2 with 1996 viewsPendejo

Don't forget depending on membership type you can possibly include Silent Street Labour Club and Central Con Club.
Someone took me to a social club near the valley a few years ago on their membership, also got signed into one in Newcastle in 90s.

Plough?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:53 - Aug 2 with 1913 viewsThe_Major

Portman Road covers a lot of ground in itself though. It must be three or four hundred yards if you take the diagonal from Planet Blue to the car park gates on Constantine Road. Where's this half mile measured from, the centre spot on the pitch?
Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 15:28 - Aug 2 with 1794 viewsAlberto_the_frog

Their list included a house in Ranelagh Road that once had an off licence. For scale, from Sir Alf, AS THE CROW FLIES, The Mermaid (if you can call it a pub), Cricketers and Spread Eagle are half a mile.
Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 15:48 - Aug 2 with 1710 viewsGeoffSentence

That new one at the West End road traffic lights

Edit: think it is called The Mermaid
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 15:49]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

What's the closest boozer to the ground..... on 15:48 - Aug 2 with 1702 viewsBloots

.....that has a decent outdoor area?

I assume some may have changed their set up through lockdown.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 15:49 - Aug 2 with 1705 viewsGeoffSentence

Black Horse

What's the closest boozer to the ground..... on 15:50 - Aug 2 with 1705 viewsGeoffSentence

What's the closest boozer to the ground..... on 15:48 - Aug 2 by Bloots

.....that has a decent outdoor area?

I assume some may have changed their set up through lockdown.

Black Horse probably

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 15:54 - Aug 2 with 1676 viewsGeoffSentence

If they are being loose with what they call a pub, I note they refer to 'places to drink' at one point, then there are probably one or two hotel bars that they include, The PentaHotel must be within the limit.

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 16:38 - Aug 2 with 1584 viewsSitfcB

Punch and Judy is closed. Harvester probably counted as well, that’s also gone.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 16:45 - Aug 2 with 1562 viewsmonty_radio

An article in the Star last year, recalling the 1945 demob had a woman relating that her husband got off at the Station and stopped off for a drink at every pub before the Cornhill. He'd had 8 pints by the time he got there - and that wouldn't have included the Sporting Farmer nor the Curve, neither of which replaced a previous pub on that site, I think.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 17:16]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 17:56 - Aug 2 with 1429 viewsITFC_Forever

Last Anchor, Silver Star, Loco club, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Pauls & Whites club?

Pushing the half mile with some of those to be fair.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 18:57 - Aug 2 with 1317 viewsazuremerlangus

Ipswich 4th for most pubs within half mile radius of stadium on 14:12 - Aug 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Actually meant the Greyhound rather than Gardeners Arms, got the two muddled. But yes think that’s over 1/2 mile

Good shout on Plough and The Swan. Cock and Pye too now I think of it

EDIT: and Three Wise Monkeys, and Cosy Club - I guess we do have a fair few even if lots are sh*t!
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 14:15]

I was worried that these favourite haunts from my youth had gone…

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024