Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I wonder what Gatesy is upto? 00:56 - May 16 with 2189 viewsketton_itfc

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14966936/eric-gates-ipswich-robson/?utm_
I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 02:17 - May 16 with 2084 viewsIllinoisblue

Good read that, especially the bit about the game in Greece. Imagine that now, players having guns pointed at them!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 02:46 - May 16 with 2052 viewsStNeotsBlue

Loved Eric. He scored the first goal, by an Ipswich player, I saw at Portman Road in a 1 each draw v Newcastle. 1985ish.
I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 05:54 - May 16 with 1953 viewsChurchman

Very gifted was Eric. 300 appearances, scoring 1 in 4 games. Small in stature but strong. That low centre of gravity meant getting the ball off him was not easy for the animals playing in those days.

I remember him as a bit part player for a number of years, not quite fitting somehow. He was not in the cup winning side of course, when he’d have been about 23, but he certainly made up for it after the Dutch players came. He crashed them in from everywhere and just piled on the nightmares for opponents already having to face the threat of Mariner, Brazil, Wark and unplayability of Arnold and Frans.

A really good player. I gather he does commentary sometimes in the north east or certainly used to and I’m told he’s very good at it.
I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 11:07 - May 16 with 1457 viewsParisBlue

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 05:54 - May 16 by Churchman

Very gifted was Eric. 300 appearances, scoring 1 in 4 games. Small in stature but strong. That low centre of gravity meant getting the ball off him was not easy for the animals playing in those days.

I remember him as a bit part player for a number of years, not quite fitting somehow. He was not in the cup winning side of course, when he’d have been about 23, but he certainly made up for it after the Dutch players came. He crashed them in from everywhere and just piled on the nightmares for opponents already having to face the threat of Mariner, Brazil, Wark and unplayability of Arnold and Frans.

A really good player. I gather he does commentary sometimes in the north east or certainly used to and I’m told he’s very good at it.

I think it was Bobby Ferguson who suggested Gates role just behind Brazil and Mariner. Mick Mills mentioned that initially the players were dubious in giving him the free role, but went with it on the basis that he would need to produce. I think it's fair to say he did and allowed formations to be easily changed mid-game.

What a team that was...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 12:35 - May 16 with 1316 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perhaps when we're at Hartlepool in a couple of years...

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 13:27 - May 16 with 1229 viewsNthQldITFC

About 5'3" I believe, or Peter Crouch's knee.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 13:32 - May 16 with 1222 viewsChurchman

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 12:35 - May 16 by Tangledupin_Blue

Perhaps when we're at Hartlepool in a couple of years...

Nope - when we are playing Newcastle and Sunderland in the PL in 3 years time!
I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 13:37 - May 16 with 1200 viewsPhilTWTD

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 11:07 - May 16 by ParisBlue

I think it was Bobby Ferguson who suggested Gates role just behind Brazil and Mariner. Mick Mills mentioned that initially the players were dubious in giving him the free role, but went with it on the basis that he would need to produce. I think it's fair to say he did and allowed formations to be easily changed mid-game.

What a team that was...

It was Bobby Ferguson's suggestion. He had initially experimented with Johnny Miller in that role in the reserves a few years earlier.
Login to get fewer ads

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 13:39 - May 16 with 1183 viewsTrequartista

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 11:07 - May 16 by ParisBlue

What a team that was...

We were actually in the relegation zone November 79 with members of the 81 side all present and correct, when Gates switched to number 11.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 13:41 - May 16 with 1161 viewsTrequartista

I don't think i've seen anyone score so many goals in the area of the goal directly under the crossbar than Gates.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 13:41 - May 16 with 1162 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Wonderful read, thank you ketton_itfc. Eric had a very low centre of gravity, enabling him to twist and turn against the best of defenders. Loved a gamble and pleased that he is looking so well and contented.
I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 13:48 - May 16 with 1146 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 13:37 - May 16 by PhilTWTD

It was Bobby Ferguson's suggestion. He had initially experimented with Johnny Miller in that role in the reserves a few years earlier.

Never knew that - mmm the same Mr Miller that duly signed for that team up the road and scored against us, to eliminate his old team from the league cup! Rumour had it Norwich hadn't even paid for him when it happened!!
Even today you need special abilities to play that role and very rarely is it behind two strikers!
I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 13:53 - May 16 with 1131 viewsPhilTWTD

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 13:48 - May 16 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Never knew that - mmm the same Mr Miller that duly signed for that team up the road and scored against us, to eliminate his old team from the league cup! Rumour had it Norwich hadn't even paid for him when it happened!!
Even today you need special abilities to play that role and very rarely is it behind two strikers!

Indeed, the very same. I think the story was that the Norwich manager, John Bond I'm guessing, came off saying 'we haven't even paid for him yet' Also led to the very-much-of-its-time Evening News (I think) headline Black Night for Ipswich.
I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 18:08 - May 16 with 916 viewsallezlesbleus

I remember sitting with Liverpool fans at Anfield and he scored 2 cracking goals. Good player and tough too........he got hacked to bits.
I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 18:38 - May 16 with 875 viewsjaykay

i think you will find he would have only been 17 in 1978
my mistake thought he was born in 61 but when i checked up he was born in 1955
[Post edited 16 May 2021 18:46]

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 20:08 - May 16 with 774 viewsgtsb1966

Walked past Gates in 1981 walking down Willoughby Road . I lived in Belstead Road at the time. I assumed he lived in Belstead Road too. Useless information i know.
[Post edited 16 May 2021 20:09]
I wonder what Gatesy is upto? on 20:09 - May 16 with 763 viewsBLUEBEAT

He looks like the old lady who lives two doors down from me.

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024