Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James Wilson 15:14 - Mar 20 with 2615 viewsPattiswickBlue

Wilson is such a limited footballer, in everything I have read about Cook he hates not retaining possession. How many times do we see Wilson needlessly head the ball or kick the ball out of play, when he should be able to find a team mate.

With the way Cook wants to play Wilson doesn’t fit in. Woolfenden is a ball playing CB and Cook builds his sides from the back, he has had a Ball Playing CB in everyone of his successful sides and unfortunately that is not Wilson or Nsiala.

Does it not worry anyone else that despite Wilson being 32 he has never been a first choice CB for a club apart from Oldham. Also, he wasn’t deemed good enough for a league 2 side when we got him?

James Wilson is not good enough to play for Ipswich Town and anyone who thinks he should get a new contract is part of the problem as you are accepting poor players!
James Wilson on 15:15 - Mar 20 with 2133 viewsGarv

Of all players to be worried about right now Wilson isn't it.

Yeah ideally we'd have two better CBs than him at the moment. But arguably we don't.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

James Wilson on 15:17 - Mar 20 with 2111 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

James Wilson on 15:19 - Mar 20 with 2094 viewsmonty_radio

Wilson has every right to be disappointed given that Chambers, having been responsible for that goal, stayed on while he was subbed.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

James Wilson on 15:20 - Mar 20 with 2086 viewsPattiswickBlue

James Wilson on 15:17 - Mar 20 by BryanPlug

There are others! Nsiala is self evidently not good enough, I would single him out but everyone knows he is not good enough to play for Ipswich. People seem to have this idea that Wilson is a good player, which is bonkers, he is an average lower league 1 backup CB.
James Wilson on 15:22 - Mar 20 with 2063 viewsHeadWestBlue

James Wilson on 15:19 - Mar 20 by monty_radio

Wilson has every right to be disappointed given that Chambers, having been responsible for that goal, stayed on while he was subbed.

I was interested to learn that Cook had signed Toto at Accrington. The lack of bite and ability to put a foot on the ball in midfield makes it increasingly difficult for any of the CB's who play.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 15:23]
James Wilson on 15:23 - Mar 20 with 2050 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

James Wilson on 15:20 - Mar 20 by PattiswickBlue

There are others! Nsiala is self evidently not good enough, I would single him out but everyone knows he is not good enough to play for Ipswich. People seem to have this idea that Wilson is a good player, which is bonkers, he is an average lower league 1 backup CB.

Wilson is probably our player of the season. You show your bias in your OP with this line: "he wasn’t deemed good enough for a league 2 side when we got him."

That's your real issue, regardless of what he actually does on the pitch.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

James Wilson on 15:24 - Mar 20 with 2029 viewsRozz

Better on the ball than Nsiala, has made forward runs with the ball, better positionally, less penalties / red cards conceded. I don't disagree that both are limited, but singling him out just smacks of the lazy view that he came from league 2 so can't be any good. He's been no worse than those around him.

Wolfenden has been poor this season. If he can't get ahead of Wilson or Nsiala under a manager crying out for a ballplaying CB then I'm afraid you're better off looking at him. Cook is no idiot - he won't be oblivious to our flaws.
James Wilson on 15:25 - Mar 20 with 2001 viewsBryanPlug

Login to get fewer ads

James Wilson on 15:27 - Mar 20 with 1982 viewsPattiswickBlue

James Wilson on 15:23 - Mar 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

Wilson is probably our player of the season. You show your bias in your OP with this line: "he wasn’t deemed good enough for a league 2 side when we got him."

That's your real issue, regardless of what he actually does on the pitch.

What are Wilson’s strengths? What makes Wilson a better player than McGuinness or Woolfenden?
James Wilson on 15:28 - Mar 20 with 1978 viewsjas0999

A very average league one player. Depressingly, by no means our worst. In that lies the problem.
James Wilson on 16:08 - Mar 20 with 1883 viewsVaughan8

Oh dear. You've criticised Nsiala. Expect a backlash haha already -2.

Wilson isn't a good player, he is limited, but he probably makes the least mistakes of the 4 we have and does have the best clean sheet record to games ratio of them.

The fact the is playing just shows how.not very good we are.
James Wilson on 16:12 - Mar 20 with 1859 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

James Wilson on 15:27 - Mar 20 by PattiswickBlue

What are Wilson’s strengths? What makes Wilson a better player than McGuinness or Woolfenden?

He's solid, unflappable, plays it simple, rarely makes glaring errors (unlike the other 3 centre backs) and pops up with a goal now and again. McGuinness and Woolfy will be better players in time, with experience, but genuinely, in a poor season overall, Wilson's probably been our best, or most consistent, player when he's played.

There are several others more worthy of starting a thread about to slate.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

James Wilson on 16:17 - Mar 20 with 1838 viewsnoggin

James Wilson on 15:25 - Mar 20 by BryanPlug

Keeper?

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

James Wilson on 16:35 - Mar 20 with 1785 viewsAce_High1

A lot of Town fans seem to have fell into this quantity over quality approach the club has taken the last 5 years.

We need to get rid of all the journeymen, all the sick notes, all the squad filler.

Kids + Quality, small, tight knit squad with a winning, positive mindset.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 16:39]
James Wilson on 16:38 - Mar 20 with 1763 viewsGlasgowBlue

Wilson is not a better footballer than either MG or Woolfenden. And they both have futures in the game at a higher level.

But at this moment in time he is a better defender. He does what it says on the tin.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

James Wilson on 16:52 - Mar 20 with 1710 viewsHullblue

James Wilson on 15:22 - Mar 20 by HeadWestBlue

I was interested to learn that Cook had signed Toto at Accrington. The lack of bite and ability to put a foot on the ball in midfield makes it increasingly difficult for any of the CB's who play.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 15:23]

Of all the things our midfield lacks, it’s not an inability to put their foot on the ball. We looked good when we gave it to them in the first half - we lost our way when we started smashing it over their heads.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

James Wilson on 16:55 - Mar 20 with 1694 viewsnodge_blue

I didnt watch the game today but I think Wilson has been the best ball playing CB. And he steps out of defence with it. And he defends well.

Wolf has been poor with his passing. Doesn't step out with it. And poor with his defending.

He may improve. But right now Wilson isn't the issue.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 16:55]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

James Wilson on 17:16 - Mar 20 with 1632 viewsLeaky

He can defend , doesn't give away to many free kicks away in dangerous area's
James Wilson on 17:18 - Mar 20 with 1625 viewsHighgateBlue

You are singling out for special criticism the player that your colleagues on this board have singled out as the only player to have played a league game to deserve an average of over 6/10 in the player ratings over the course of the season...
James Wilson on 17:20 - Mar 20 with 1614 viewsBryanPlug

James Wilson on 16:17 - Mar 20 by noggin

Keeper?

James Wilson on 18:01 - Mar 20 with 1544 viewsWickets

Our defending for balls into the box is poor Chambers Wilson Nsiala for their first goal !!! pretty much as the first Fleetwood goal on Tuesday evening . Very poor .
James Wilson on 19:31 - Mar 20 with 1438 viewsBluefish

Completely correct. Woeful today and will only ever be a stopgap at best. For some reason he is currently the numbskull pin up though

I'm notbsure we will see him again

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

James Wilson on 20:15 - Mar 20 with 1396 viewschrismakin

James Wilson on 15:24 - Mar 20 by Rozz

Better on the ball than Nsiala, has made forward runs with the ball, better positionally, less penalties / red cards conceded. I don't disagree that both are limited, but singling him out just smacks of the lazy view that he came from league 2 so can't be any good. He's been no worse than those around him.

Wolfenden has been poor this season. If he can't get ahead of Wilson or Nsiala under a manager crying out for a ballplaying CB then I'm afraid you're better off looking at him. Cook is no idiot - he won't be oblivious to our flaws.

I felt sorry for Wilson today

Dozza and Bishop didn't do enough to make space in the midfield second half, so Wilson wasn't able to bring the ball up the pitch

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

James Wilson on 21:36 - Mar 20 with 1322 viewsBlueNomad

I don’t care where he came from. He is no Franz Beckenbauer but I have him as POTY. Steady, unflappable and makes few mistakes. How can you single him out when so many have consistently failed to do the business.
James Wilson on 21:56 - Mar 20 with 1289 viewschrismakin

James Wilson on 21:36 - Mar 20 by BlueNomad

I don’t care where he came from. He is no Franz Beckenbauer but I have him as POTY. Steady, unflappable and makes few mistakes. How can you single him out when so many have consistently failed to do the business.

Wilson, our latest version of Delaney

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024