Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) 16:05 - Feb 2 with 3115 viewsitfcjoe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) on 21:42 - Feb 2 with 524 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) on 21:34 - Feb 2 by noggin

Yes, sad that he has died but the love in was a little OTT for me. It was the British public that donated those millions and the truth is, he shouldn't have had to do those laps of his garden to prop up the NHS.

Sorry if that upsets anyone.

The British public donated because of him. No they (and he) shouldn't have to, but that's not really the point. He/they did, and it was a lovely thing.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) on 21:47 - Feb 2 with 515 viewsJ2BLUE

Yes, sad that he has died but the love in was a little OTT for me. It was the British public that donated those millions and the truth is, he shouldn't have had to do those laps of his garden to prop up the NHS.

Not going to go backwards and forwards on this thread but the fact a 99 year old who had trouble walking wanted to do his part was an inspiration. Of course the NHS should be properly funded but what does that have to do with him? He inspired many others including pensioners and kids with disabilities while raising millions and gave people a few bright moments in a terrifying time.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) on 23:04 - Feb 2 with 488 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) on 21:47 - Feb 2 by J2BLUE

Not going to go backwards and forwards on this thread but the fact a 99 year old who had trouble walking wanted to do his part was an inspiration. Of course the NHS should be properly funded but what does that have to do with him? He inspired many others including pensioners and kids with disabilities while raising millions and gave people a few bright moments in a terrifying time.

Let's not forget he was only trying to raise a grand. To raise £33m was an incredible achievement - not to mention getting a knighthood and being the oldest person to have a number one single. It was an amazing and inspirational story.

Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) on 05:22 - Feb 3 with 432 viewsRyorry

Hardly his fault he got the "love-in" is it, he just started doing something he no doubt considered relatively insignificant when he started, just to do his bit - as he had done throughout his life - his war record etc. People who knew about it shared it with others, & the media picked it up as a feelgood story at a time when the whole country was desperate for any bit of good news. It then snowballed.

He was a remarkable human showcasing & inspiring qualities most other humans admire - resilience, determination, courage, caring etc. - in a way, a demonstration of how to keep going in tough times - and obviously being so much in the public eye simply meant millions were going to be aware of his passing, and mourn it.

Agree that NHS funding shouldn't depend on extra charitable donations to prop it up though (same applies to supporting children in need etc).

R.I.P. Sir Tom

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) on 06:17 - Feb 3 with 405 viewsChurchman

Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) on 05:22 - Feb 3 by Ryorry

Hardly his fault he got the "love-in" is it, he just started doing something he no doubt considered relatively insignificant when he started, just to do his bit - as he had done throughout his life - his war record etc. People who knew about it shared it with others, & the media picked it up as a feelgood story at a time when the whole country was desperate for any bit of good news. It then snowballed.

He was a remarkable human showcasing & inspiring qualities most other humans admire - resilience, determination, courage, caring etc. - in a way, a demonstration of how to keep going in tough times - and obviously being so much in the public eye simply meant millions were going to be aware of his passing, and mourn it.

Agree that NHS funding shouldn't depend on extra charitable donations to prop it up though (same applies to supporting children in need etc).

R.I.P. Sir Tom

I agree with that. I think to link his actions to inadequacy of NHS funding is to drag politics into a place they don’t belong.

He was one man who decided to do his bit with what he had. His intention was not to get a knighthood etc. It was to raise a few pounds. He showed that an individual can make a difference.

In a year of bad news, it was a rare good news story. One that the media, who are usually only interested in the negative, couldn’t ignore or pull apart, I’m sure they would have done if they could.

Well done, Captain Tom.
Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) on 07:48 - Feb 3 with 386 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Captain Tom Moore, RIP (n/t) on 05:22 - Feb 3 by Ryorry

R.I.P. Sir Tom

Did you see this? Seems like he had an extraordinary life, not just in the last year. They should probably make a movie about him.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024