Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Democray kind of sucks 20:38 - Sep 10 with 3851 viewsDyland

I'm depressed.

What's the point of civilisation and democracy?

It sucks.

In any other (uncivilised society) Gove and Johnson would have been tarred, feathered, flayed and beheaded by now.

ffs

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Democray kind of sucks on 20:43 - Sep 10 with 2226 viewsKeno

Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Not really on 20:45 - Sep 10 with 2212 viewsDyland

Democray kind of sucks on 20:43 - Sep 10 by Keno

Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few

Do be quiet over there Kenners x

;)

Not really on 20:46 - Sep 10 with 2208 viewsKeno

Not really on 20:45 - Sep 10 by Dyland

Do be quiet over there Kenners x

;)

sos!!

I thought you might be impressed by a touch a George Bernard Shaw

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Democray kind of sucks on 20:56 - Sep 10 with 2197 viewsJ2BLUE

What democracy? If we lived in a democracy there would have been a second Brexit vote as poll after poll showed the opinion had changed. We would have PR instead of FPTP. Instead we get idiots telling us we rejected an alternative voting system and we had our chance.

We have a government imposed on us by a ridiculous system which leaves a lot of people having no representation whatsoever. People can point to UKIP etc and say it's a good thing but do you want democracy or don't you? We'd clearly be doing far better if we had a fair balance of MPs who had to work together to get things done. I dare say we would see a lot more consideration for the people the Tories are screwing over if Labour, Liberals, Greens, SNP and others were free to work together and had a fair share of the seats. Instead they compete with each other and hand the Tories the keys to Downing Street with a nice majority.

It's complete BS.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ah, QED dear boy on 21:01 - Sep 10 with 2180 viewsDyland

Democray kind of sucks on 20:56 - Sep 10 by J2BLUE

What democracy? If we lived in a democracy there would have been a second Brexit vote as poll after poll showed the opinion had changed. We would have PR instead of FPTP. Instead we get idiots telling us we rejected an alternative voting system and we had our chance.

We have a government imposed on us by a ridiculous system which leaves a lot of people having no representation whatsoever. People can point to UKIP etc and say it's a good thing but do you want democracy or don't you? We'd clearly be doing far better if we had a fair balance of MPs who had to work together to get things done. I dare say we would see a lot more consideration for the people the Tories are screwing over if Labour, Liberals, Greens, SNP and others were free to work together and had a fair share of the seats. Instead they compete with each other and hand the Tories the keys to Downing Street with a nice majority.

It's complete BS.

nft

Democray kind of sucks on 21:06 - Sep 10 with 2175 viewsFunge

I think we might be seeing the turn of the tide, Dyllers.

If Trump goes in November (and I think he will, albeit with more noise and bluster than ever before), then I honestly think that everyone else might return to something approaching civility.

Gonna take a while tho.

Stay optimistic, brother.
Democray kind of sucks on 21:09 - Sep 10 with 2157 viewsDyland

Democray kind of sucks on 21:06 - Sep 10 by Funge

I think we might be seeing the turn of the tide, Dyllers.

If Trump goes in November (and I think he will, albeit with more noise and bluster than ever before), then I honestly think that everyone else might return to something approaching civility.

Gonna take a while tho.

Stay optimistic, brother.

You sound like you've troughed some proper gear.

Nonsense.

Or not! Oh god I hope so buh.

Democray kind of sucks on 21:10 - Sep 10 with 2146 viewsFunge

Democray kind of sucks on 21:09 - Sep 10 by Dyland

You sound like you've troughed some proper gear.

Nonsense.

Or not! Oh god I hope so buh.

Yeah, about that....

Anyway at least the football is pretty good.
Login to get fewer ads

Ah, QED dear boy on 21:11 - Sep 10 with 2145 viewsFootballpete

Ah, QED dear boy on 21:01 - Sep 10 by Dyland

nft

Did Votes for parties that advocated a second referendum outnumber parties that voted to leave in the last election? I honestly don’t know that but my gut says no.

I agree that our system is not particularly democratic, with millions of votes in safe seats being essentially meaningless ( in the last three elections I’ve either voted in the royal borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, or Suffolk coastal, for a lefty like me voting was utterly pointless). I’m not sure the Brexit issue is a good example of it.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

arfs :) (n/t) on 21:13 - Sep 10 with 2137 viewsDyland

Democray kind of sucks on 21:10 - Sep 10 by Funge

Yeah, about that....

Anyway at least the football is pretty good.

Democray kind of sucks on 21:14 - Sep 10 with 2134 viewsSteve_M

Before you start down that line sure a thought for the protesters in Belarus who’ve been disappeared. Or Navalny.

Churchill had this one right, is the worst form of government - except for all the others which have been tried from time to time.

That’s not to say it can’t be in improved and the populist hysteria of the Brexit vote continues to poison the integrity of England let alone the UK.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ah, QED dear boy on 21:14 - Sep 10 with 2135 viewsDyland

Ah, QED dear boy on 21:11 - Sep 10 by Footballpete

Did Votes for parties that advocated a second referendum outnumber parties that voted to leave in the last election? I honestly don’t know that but my gut says no.

I agree that our system is not particularly democratic, with millions of votes in safe seats being essentially meaningless ( in the last three elections I’ve either voted in the royal borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, or Suffolk coastal, for a lefty like me voting was utterly pointless). I’m not sure the Brexit issue is a good example of it.

No, I agree with that.

My point is that democracy, per se, sucks.

How you interpret or define "democracy" kind of reinforces my point.

I get all that Stevers on 21:18 - Sep 10 with 2132 viewsDyland

Democray kind of sucks on 21:14 - Sep 10 by Steve_M

Before you start down that line sure a thought for the protesters in Belarus who’ve been disappeared. Or Navalny.

Churchill had this one right, is the worst form of government - except for all the others which have been tried from time to time.

That’s not to say it can’t be in improved and the populist hysteria of the Brexit vote continues to poison the integrity of England let alone the UK.

Belarus doesn't have a democracy.

Or rather it does.

And that's kind of my point. Or part of it.

Yeh I know. My "point" is existential, and vague.

All the best points are vague existential ones.

ffs

Ah, QED dear boy on 21:24 - Sep 10 with 2117 viewsFootballpete

Ah, QED dear boy on 21:14 - Sep 10 by Dyland

No, I agree with that.

My point is that democracy, per se, sucks.

How you interpret or define "democracy" kind of reinforces my point.

Well as an old fashioned lefty, I’d say that democracy within within a class based system is unattainable. Those with (Or whose supporters have) the deepest pockets tend to win.

Democray kind of sucks on 21:29 - Sep 10 with 2107 viewsDanTheMan

Want a fun read?

And an easily read version:
https://threader.app/thread/1304076133827309569
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 21:33]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Democray kind of sucks on 22:13 - Sep 10 with 2016 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What took you so long!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Ah, QED dear boy on 22:14 - Sep 10 with 2016 viewsEwan_Oozami

Ah, QED dear boy on 21:11 - Sep 10 by Footballpete

I think anti-Brexit parties just shaded it:

CON Conservative 43.6%
LAB Labour 32.2%
LD Liberal Democrat 11.5%
SNP Scottish National Party 3.9%
GRN Green 2.7%
BRX The Brexit Party 2.0%

Anyone still supporting FPTP after that result above gave an 80 seat majority to the Tories has an alternative definition of democracy...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Ah, QED dear boy on 22:16 - Sep 10 with 2006 viewsFootballpete

Ah, QED dear boy on 22:14 - Sep 10 by Ewan_Oozami

CON Conservative 43.6%
LAB Labour 32.2%
GRN Green 2.7%

Anyone still supporting FPTP after that result above gave an 80 seat majority to the Tories has an alternative definition of democracy...

Completely agree with you there. It’s a joke.

to post it on TWTD? on 22:22 - Sep 10 with 1988 viewsDyland

Democray kind of sucks on 22:13 - Sep 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

What took you so long!

suq

:)

Democray kind of sucks on 22:35 - Sep 10 with 1975 viewsGuthrum

Not so sure about that. If you consider the parade of loons, imbeciles and egomaniacs who have headed up other governmental systems over the centuries, bankrupting and/or trashing their countries, plus occasionally slaughtering the populace (accidentally or on purpose), Johnson and Gove are fairly small beer.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 22:37]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ah, QED dear boy on 22:36 - Sep 10 with 1967 viewsClapham_Junction

Ah, QED dear boy on 22:14 - Sep 10 by Ewan_Oozami

CON Conservative 43.6%
LAB Labour 32.2%
GRN Green 2.7%

The only countries in Europe still using FPTP? The UK, Belarus and Azerbaijan.

I have numerous Chinese acquaintances over here and whenever we discuss China becoming a democracy, the response is always that it's a bad idea as lots of people are stupid and can be easily influenced by demagogues. It's extremely depressing that you can't really argue back about this anymore.
stop being sensible ffs (n/t) on 22:47 - Sep 10 with 1936 viewsDyland

Democray kind of sucks on 22:35 - Sep 10 by Guthrum

Not so sure about that. If you consider the parade of loons, imbeciles and egomaniacs who have headed up other governmental systems over the centuries, bankrupting and/or trashing their countries, plus occasionally slaughtering the populace (accidentally or on purpose), Johnson and Gove are fairly small beer.

Democray kind of sucks on 22:49 - Sep 10 with 1928 viewsgiant_stow

Hey upbeat happy man, don't go sad - that would be a bad sign!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Democray kind of sucks on 22:50 - Sep 10 with 1934 viewswerringtonblue

Unfortunately you and I don't like what the outcome of the free vote is delivering right now. But think carefully before saying democracy sucks.

This lot can be voted out next time if the democratic majority decides. Then democracy won't suck.....

if we collectively vote them in again, then it's not democracy that sucks, but the intelligence of the electorate that will be to blame or a proper endorsement ..... unless of course in the next 4 years they deliver incredible results.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 22:55]
Democray kind of sucks on 22:54 - Sep 10 with 1919 viewsgiant_stow

Democray kind of sucks on 22:35 - Sep 10 by Guthrum

Wise cheery words Dylan you manic.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 22:55]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024