Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just get George Burley in NOW 08:32 - Feb 9 with 7050 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Just get George Burley in NOW on 12:50 - Feb 9 with 2831 viewsBryanPlug

Just get George Burley in NOW on 11:57 - Feb 9 by Ryorry

Talking of age of managers, I had a wiki look at PL because of a comment by Badger last night, and was shocked to see PL is only 50 - I'd thought he was at least 60 from his looks. Can anyone think of a pro FM who actually looks *younger* than their age? Apart from maybe Solskaer, I can't. The stress levels nust put years on them!

[content removed at owner's request]

Just get George Burley in NOW on 12:54 - Feb 9 with 2816 viewsTractorWood

Just get George Burley in NOW on 10:49 - Feb 9 by Coco

Heard the same when i wanted him before Hurst but i suppose people were right, getting Burley would’ve been disastrous. Burley’s methods and principles are still light years ahead of anything we’ve had for years. Football really hasn’t changed fundamentally and certainly not at this level.

I think it's an escapist view built entirely on nostalgia. It's very convenient that the only possible answer is the very same as the last one to bring us any type of success.

He's not managed in 10 years. That's a lifetime in football. Nor does it tackle the underlying problem at Ipswich, being Evans and the total lack of having a proper framework conducive to success. Namely proper CEO who knows football, DoF to provide rigour so that the manager does not become solely accountable for every decision.

Are Liverpool better off with Klopp or Daglish? Newcastle with Shearer? Always hire with the head, not the heart.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 13:00]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Just get George Burley in NOW on 13:00 - Feb 9 with 2796 viewsSE1blue

Just get George Burley in NOW on 12:54 - Feb 9 by TractorWood

I think it's an escapist view built entirely on nostalgia. It's very convenient that the only possible answer is the very same as the last one to bring us any type of success.

He's not managed in 10 years. That's a lifetime in football. Nor does it tackle the underlying problem at Ipswich, being Evans and the total lack of having a proper framework conducive to success. Namely proper CEO who knows football, DoF to provide rigour so that the manager does not become solely accountable for every decision.

Are Liverpool better off with Klopp or Daglish? Newcastle with Shearer? Always hire with the head, not the heart.

I feel the same way about Butcher's return.

For me, sadly, its a crowd pleaser rather than a step forward.

And I love Butcher. I just don't think it's right for us, right now.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Just get George Burley in NOW on 13:06 - Feb 9 with 2783 viewsMeadowlark

Just get George Burley in NOW on 10:40 - Feb 9 by TractorWood

*20 years ago

Let's get Craig Forrest in goal and Marcus Stewart up front as well......
Just get George Burley in NOW on 13:09 - Feb 9 with 2774 viewsmonytowbray

We could get Klopp in and still be sh1t mate. The problem goes much higher. I’ve been in denial about it for 10 years but cannot deny it any longer.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Just get George Burley in NOW on 13:10 - Feb 9 with 2773 viewsTractorWood

Just get George Burley in NOW on 13:06 - Feb 9 by Meadowlark

Let's get Craig Forrest in goal and Marcus Stewart up front as well......

Referring to the past is so embedded in our DNA that it's a paradox. Our proudest hours but most arbitrary rational.

We have an owner who installs a manger, gives them the keys to the castle but not access to the vault and hopes they succeed with no other interactions or any support. Total autonomy, hence the relative success of MM and the failures of Hurst and so far Lambert.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 13:13]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Just get George Burley in NOW on 14:04 - Feb 9 with 2729 viewsRyorry

Just get George Burley in NOW on 12:46 - Feb 9 by Cheltenham_Blue

It could have been just as bad.

CashDrool, was hardly a success at Villa, 22 games in 4 years, before going to Wolves on loan and then ending up in Scotland, football's equivalent of a graveyard

Interesting, didn't know that, thanks. Even so, the pay structure wouldn't have been broken by Sereni/Finidi coming in; nor the team spirit which had seen us through so well become diluted

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Just get George Burley in NOW on 14:35 - Feb 9 with 2698 viewsstrikalite

Just get George Burley in NOW on 12:02 - Feb 9 by Ryorry

I've always put that down to Kachloul, having agreed to sign, ratting out on us at the 11th hour to join a mate somewhere else. That meant instead of making the one quality addition we really needed, GB panicked & went for quantity instead of quality. Pay structure & team spirit consequently went for a burton, the rest is history.

Everything is that mans fault,even now....

:)
Login to get fewer ads

Just get George Burley in NOW on 15:01 - Feb 9 with 2685 viewsRyorry

Just get George Burley in NOW on 14:35 - Feb 9 by strikalite

Everything is that mans fault,even now....

:)

It's a bit like how the scoring works in tennis though - one single mistake at a key point, eg a return of serve out by 1 centimetre in a mens' grand slam when the opponent has set point & is already a set up, means slippery slope territory is well & truly entered.

Edit: More succinct version of what I was rather clumsily trying to say - key points at key moments can really turn things longterm.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 15:24]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Just get George Burley in NOW on 15:52 - Feb 9 with 2657 viewsDoctor_Earman

People seem not to know that we already have a Director of Football called Dave Bowman. He's a leftover from Mick's time. Dunno what he's still doing here tbh. Lee O'Neill is 'General Manager of Football Operations' - whatever the fuk that means.
Just get George Burley in NOW on 16:08 - Feb 9 with 2633 viewsoneoffposter

Just get George Burley in NOW on 12:02 - Feb 9 by Ryorry

I've always put that down to Kachloul, having agreed to sign, ratting out on us at the 11th hour to join a mate somewhere else. That meant instead of making the one quality addition we really needed, GB panicked & went for quantity instead of quality. Pay structure & team spirit consequently went for a burton, the rest is history.

We dodged a bullet with Kachloul as he was mercenary, I’m gonna blame Leicester for giving Peter Taylor the job that summer, he loved Scowcroft from U21 days and happily paid over the odds for him at 3.5 mil

The old you don’t what you’ve lost till it’s gone phrase springs to mind

Having him right wing and Venus hitting diagonal balls at him was an effective weapon in the promotion year and in the prem

Simple but effective tactic that worked
Just get George Burley in NOW on 17:29 - Feb 9 with 2609 viewscbower

Just get George Burley in NOW on 11:02 - Feb 9 by Ely_Blue

And look how it ended at most of those clubs....... he hasnt exactly got on well with any of the people he has worked for has he?

also what has he won since he left us? Out of management for over 8 years now too

On a point of order here. Look how it tends to end for 99% of managers at all clubs...........badly!

bluescouser

Just get George Burley in NOW on 19:17 - Feb 9 with 2587 viewsOxford_Blue

Just get George Burley in NOW on 12:54 - Feb 9 by TractorWood

You’re totally right.

It’s an emotional response to when things were better.

Like saying after a few beers “if only my former best friend whom I haven’t seen in 20 years could come round tonight I’d feel happier”. When 20 years is a huge time and people change.

Burley got the club relegated and then almost took us to league one.
Just get George Burley in NOW on 20:21 - Feb 9 with 2565 viewsSuperfrans

Just get George Burley in NOW on 10:49 - Feb 9 by Coco

Heard the same when i wanted him before Hurst but i suppose people were right, getting Burley would’ve been disastrous. Burley’s methods and principles are still light years ahead of anything we’ve had for years. Football really hasn’t changed fundamentally and certainly not at this level.

Football hasn’t changed fundamentally? What in the past 20 years? I beg to differ. 😂😂😂

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Just get George Burley in NOW on 20:37 - Feb 9 with 2557 viewsDurovigutum

Just get George Burley in NOW on 20:21 - Feb 9 by Superfrans

Football hasn’t changed fundamentally? What in the past 20 years? I beg to differ. 😂😂😂

When I referee u16, Open Age (18+) and vets in a weekend I can tell the difference between football then, now and the future. The shape of play is different, the way the ball is used is different, the amount of time the ball spends in the air is different. A manager keeping up with this is fine, I'm not sure how quickly "rusty" becomes "past it".
Just get George Burley in NOW on 20:54 - Feb 9 with 2540 viewsEly_Blue

Just get George Burley in NOW on 13:09 - Feb 9 by monytowbray

We could get Klopp in and still be sh1t mate. The problem goes much higher. I’ve been in denial about it for 10 years but cannot deny it any longer.

I hate to say this but I agree with you, so many people blame Evans for our current plight but it is the shambles that was allowed to happen before he took us over that was the downfall of ITFC

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Just get George Burley in NOW on 22:55 - Feb 9 with 2503 viewsBryanPlug

Just get George Burley in NOW on 15:52 - Feb 9 by Doctor_Earman

People seem not to know that we already have a Director of Football called Dave Bowman. He's a leftover from Mick's time. Dunno what he's still doing here tbh. Lee O'Neill is 'General Manager of Football Operations' - whatever the fuk that means.

[content removed at owner's request]

Just get George Burley in NOW on 08:17 - Feb 10 with 2434 viewsBrixtonBlue

Just get George Burley in NOW on 19:17 - Feb 9 by Oxford_Blue

You’re totally right.

It’s an emotional response to when things were better.

Like saying after a few beers “if only my former best friend whom I haven’t seen in 20 years could come round tonight I’d feel happier”. When 20 years is a huge time and people change.

Burley got the club relegated and then almost took us to league one.

Burley almost took us to League 1?!?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024