Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) 09:44 - Jan 4 with 7421 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:52 - Jan 4 with 590 viewsHerbivore

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:51 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

I disagree.

I'm not suggesting that mediums are a communicative tool, but even speaking as a skeptic, I've seen and heard enough in over 500 investigations to suggest that there is 'something' beyond us that has enough intelligence to do things in response to invitation.

Yeah, not buying it. There's no evidence of an afterlife let alone that people in the afterlife can communicate with people who are living. It's boll0cks.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:53 - Jan 4 with 595 viewsStokieBlue

I disagree.

I'm not suggesting that mediums are a communicative tool, but even speaking as a skeptic, I've seen and heard enough in over 500 investigations to suggest that there is 'something' beyond us that has enough intelligence to do things in response to invitation.

Hearing is not evidence.

You've researched it - you've got the evidence. Lay it on us.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:55 - Jan 4 with 587 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:52 - Jan 4 by Herbivore

Yeah, not buying it. There's no evidence of an afterlife let alone that people in the afterlife can communicate with people who are living. It's boll0cks.

As I've said before, Thats fine.
You on the other hand seem rather upset that someone might disagree with your point of view.

You're entitled to your's, I'm entitled to mine. If you want to have a grown up chat about it, great.

If you want to get a bit snippy, take it out on Lambert.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:58 - Jan 4 with 573 viewsjeera

I disagree.

Like all religion.

It's borne from the fact that some people just will not accept we are just organisms that die.

It's not ideal, but eventually we are just matter, that doesn't matter.

Anything else is just ego.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:59 - Jan 4 with 564 viewsjeera

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:55 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

You on the other hand seem rather upset that someone might disagree with your point of view.

You're entitled to your's, I'm entitled to mine. If you want to have a grown up chat about it, great.

Facts are not a point of view.

There's no such thing as ghosts.

It's not complicated.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:00 - Jan 4 with 558 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:59 - Jan 4 by jeera

Facts are not a point of view.

There's no such thing as ghosts.

It's not complicated.

OK. Prove that you're right.
Should be simple. Shouldn't it?
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 17:01]

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:01 - Jan 4 with 553 viewsHerbivore

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:55 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

There's not a lot to chat about here really. Anyone claiming they can communicate with the dead is a liar, and anyone preying on the vulnerable to make a living from doing so is a scumbag. If you have evidence that the dead can communicate and that people can interpret those communications then I'm all ears, I'm just a little surprised such evidence isn't in the public domain.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:02 - Jan 4 with 553 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:01 - Jan 4 by Herbivore

There's not a lot to chat about here really. Anyone claiming they can communicate with the dead is a liar, and anyone preying on the vulnerable to make a living from doing so is a scumbag. If you have evidence that the dead can communicate and that people can interpret those communications then I'm all ears, I'm just a little surprised such evidence isn't in the public domain.

Then we're done.

Ta.

Login to get fewer ads

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:02 - Jan 4 with 552 viewseireblue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:02 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Yes, did the research for free. I wasn't paid by anyone.

Hardly any of them become TV mediums, although a lot set out with that intention.
As has been said previously, there's no real need for extensive research, if people want to believe it, they will.

What I was looking for was stuff that was difficult to come by. Easy to walk into the Tower of London and say "I'm picking up on Anne Boleyn"

So if you are prepared to do it for free, why assume a person wouldn’t do it for money as part of maintaining the con?

Of course the other point would be, why would someone recently dead, that is directly trying to communicate with a loved one, only be able to give Derek an “e”, whilst when he pops into a building for a TV show, the presence of the Witchfinder General Matthew Hopkins makes himself known quite clearly.

Hmmmmmm.
Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:02 - Jan 4 with 549 viewsStokieBlue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:00 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

The burden of proof is on you.

People don't have to prove something doesn't exist, you have to prove it does.

SB

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:05 - Jan 4 with 539 viewsHerbivore

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:02 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Then we're done.

Ta.

So I ask for some evidence that the dead can communicate with us and you walk away? You can't just assert any old nonsense and think it's a valid point of view.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 17:05]

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:06 - Jan 4 with 535 viewsjeera

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:00 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

It is mate.

It really is that simple.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:07 - Jan 4 with 530 viewssparks

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:02 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

The burden of proof is on you.

People don't have to prove something doesn't exist, you have to prove it does.

SB

Disagree- if one asserts that "there is no such thing as" then the burden shifts as that person is making an assertion.

The more logical position to take is that there is no good evidence for ghosts whatsoever.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:08 - Jan 4 with 524 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:02 - Jan 4 by eireblue

So if you are prepared to do it for free, why assume a person wouldn’t do it for money as part of maintaining the con?

Of course the other point would be, why would someone recently dead, that is directly trying to communicate with a loved one, only be able to give Derek an “e”, whilst when he pops into a building for a TV show, the presence of the Witchfinder General Matthew Hopkins makes himself known quite clearly.

Hmmmmmm.

Again. I'm getting a bit bored of going round in circles.

I've not said that Derek was genuine, nor did I say he wasn't preying on people. All I said was occasionally he said stuff that was really hard to research.

He wasn't at Guys for a TV Show, it was a private event, with around 25-30 guests. He'd of been paid around £250 to work from 9pm til 2am. Lot of work to research that for 5 hours work I'd say.

Maybe you're more committed than I am.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:10 - Jan 4 with 518 viewsjeera

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:07 - Jan 4 by sparks

Disagree- if one asserts that "there is no such thing as" then the burden shifts as that person is making an assertion.

The more logical position to take is that there is no good evidence for ghosts whatsoever.

You can't prove something doesn't exist.

You're being difficult for the sake of it.

Feck, this goes against everything you're asserted yourself.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:11 - Jan 4 with 513 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:05 - Jan 4 by Herbivore

So I ask for some evidence that the dead can communicate with us and you walk away? You can't just assert any old nonsense and think it's a valid point of view.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 17:05]

Have you read anything? I haven't asserted the existence of ghosts. Simply said, that I've seen and heard things as a Skeptic.

Your whole argument, and I do mean whole argument is, "I don't believe in it, so it doesn't exist"
So what's the point of continuing the conversation?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:14 - Jan 4 with 501 viewsHerbivore

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:11 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Have you read anything? I haven't asserted the existence of ghosts. Simply said, that I've seen and heard things as a Skeptic.

Your whole argument, and I do mean whole argument is, "I don't believe in it, so it doesn't exist"

You're making quite a bold claim along the lines of it being possible that the dead can communicate with us. All I've asked for is some evidence of that, but you won't provide any. You just vaguely say "I've seen some things". That's not evidence, that's you seeing things.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:14 - Jan 4 with 501 viewsjeera

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:11 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

You could start from a point of, "I know ghosts are nonsense and children's stories, but I find it interesting that *this once happened*.

Say, the influence that had on certain people or society in general.

I'd read that. Objective, sensible.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:15 - Jan 4 with 495 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:10 - Jan 4 by jeera

You can't prove something doesn't exist.

You're being difficult for the sake of it.

Feck, this goes against everything you're asserted yourself.

You aren't alone, but your only argument is that you've never seen any proof and therefore it doesn't exist. Right?

150 years ago If you told people that we'd run a mile in under 4 minutes or a marathon in under 2 hours you'd of been locked up.

I have seen enough that has made me think, 'maybe', not YES! but maybe. Why can't you accept that? If you are so adamant it doesn't exist, why do you need proof that it does?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:16 - Jan 4 with 491 viewsStokieBlue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:07 - Jan 4 by sparks

He's already said it does exist though so surely the burden of proof is on him - he's twisted the burden onto others to prove it doesn't exist during the debate.

In your case it's impossible to say something ridiculous doesn't exist - I can say that a snowman riding a camel through Jupiter doesn't exist but I can't prove it.

SB

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:19 - Jan 4 with 485 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:14 - Jan 4 by Herbivore

You're making quite a bold claim along the lines of it being possible that the dead can communicate with us. All I've asked for is some evidence of that, but you won't provide any. You just vaguely say "I've seen some things". That's not evidence, that's you seeing things.

How will me telling you what I've seen convince you? It won't as you are clearly completely closed off to the possibility. So why would I waste my time?

I spent years uncovering fake mediums, not proving that they can do what they said.

But proof would never be enough for you. Go on a ghost hunt and see what happens, there's loads of companies out there.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:19 - Jan 4 with 483 viewsStokieBlue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:15 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

You aren't alone, but your only argument is that you've never seen any proof and therefore it doesn't exist. Right?

150 years ago If you told people that we'd run a mile in under 4 minutes or a marathon in under 2 hours you'd of been locked up.

I have seen enough that has made me think, 'maybe', not YES! but maybe. Why can't you accept that? If you are so adamant it doesn't exist, why do you need proof that it does?

"150 years ago If you told people that we'd run a mile in under 4 minutes or a marathon in under 2 hours you'd of been locked up."

That's a false equivalence - both are physical properties rather than supernatural. Both are provable or disprovable.

Did you see my post on the witchfinder general and the Earl of Warwick and their obvious connection?

SB

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:19 - Jan 4 with 482 viewsjeera

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:15 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

It's not my only argument at all. Of course not.

That would put me in your zone of complete and utter feck-loonacy.

Science my friend. If you have an inkling of how the world was created, how the whole damn thing and us evolved...

There is no place for magic. We are not gullible children believing in fairy tales.

We understand life and death and have little choice but to go with it.

There is no escape, no matter how much some people will try to invent one.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:21 - Jan 4 with 478 viewsHerbivore

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:19 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

How will me telling you what I've seen convince you? It won't as you are clearly completely closed off to the possibility. So why would I waste my time?

I spent years uncovering fake mediums, not proving that they can do what they said.

But proof would never be enough for you. Go on a ghost hunt and see what happens, there's loads of companies out there.

Proof would be plenty enough for me, but you're not offering any. I'll ask again: what evidence is there that the dead may be able to communicate with us?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:22 - Jan 4 with 476 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 17:16 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

He's already said it does exist though so surely the burden of proof is on him - he's twisted the burden onto others to prove it doesn't exist during the debate.

In your case it's impossible to say something ridiculous doesn't exist - I can say that a snowman riding a camel through Jupiter doesn't exist but I can't prove it.

SB

No I haven't. What I am dealing with is 3 posters for who no proof is possible, and as often as I try to move it on you're all back on it with the; "Show me proof - NOW"

It's all a bit weird really.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024