Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) 09:44 - Jan 4 with 7419 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:44 - Jan 4 with 860 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:39 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

You should read up on hot and cold readings. There are techniques to get information out of people and then say something which they can convince themselves is correct.

Never underestimate the effect of confirmation bias - many people want what was said to be correct and will try hard to make it correct even if it's subconsciously.

SB

I researched the paranormal as a skeptic for 10 years, I'm fully aware of hot readings, cold readings, false tells, 4am syndrome (its a real thing), mass panic and every tool used by a medium, psychic, ghost whisperer or anything else that they wish to call them selves.

Some 100% are in it for deceit, I don't know if Derek was, probably, I'm not denying that at all.

All I said was, I knew him, he was a nice bloke away from the on stage persona and he occasionally came up with stuff about locations that was hard to research.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:44 - Jan 4 with 860 viewseireblue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:40 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

What can't I know for certain? That he came up with stuff that took months to research and turn out as correct?

I can, because I researched it.

Irrespective of is any medium preys on people through 1-2-1 readings, you don't know anything for certain either, but you certainly seem pretty angry if people don't share your view.

What you are saying then, is that he knew stuff that was possible to find out using research.

If you were a con man, that made a living from a certain type of con, would you not expect to put a little bit of effort in?
Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:46 - Jan 4 with 855 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:44 - Jan 4 by eireblue

What you are saying then, is that he knew stuff that was possible to find out using research.

If you were a con man, that made a living from a certain type of con, would you not expect to put a little bit of effort in?

Not weeks worth, no.

The ones I've worked with previously did the basic stuff. Reading the website, a quick google. We've even planted false information on websites previously to see if the medium recanted it.

But, If you go down to the National Archives, its not awash with mediums getting some info.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 15:48]

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:48 - Jan 4 with 849 viewsStokieBlue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:46 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not weeks worth, no.

The ones I've worked with previously did the basic stuff. Reading the website, a quick google. We've even planted false information on websites previously to see if the medium recanted it.

But, If you go down to the National Archives, its not awash with mediums getting some info.

Can you give us the specific example or is it personal?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:49 - Jan 4 with 847 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:48 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

Can you give us the specific example or is it personal?

SB

How do you mean, Where we've caught a medium cheating?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:50 - Jan 4 with 840 viewsStokieBlue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:49 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

How do you mean, Where we've caught a medium cheating?

Sorry - the specific example that was "correct" but took weeks to research.

If it's personal then that's fine.

SB

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:54 - Jan 4 with 834 viewseireblue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:46 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not weeks worth, no.

How many mediums would you expect to get TV shows?

How much money do you get for presenting such a show?

If that is your only source of income, seems worth a couple months effort to do research, in order to become and maintain a job as a well known medium. Especially if it provides a sufficient degree of credibility that someone will even point out this knowledge as a proof point.

Did you do the confirmatory research for free?
Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:59 - Jan 4 with 821 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:50 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

Sorry - the specific example that was "correct" but took weeks to research.

If it's personal then that's fine.

SB

As I've said, I've never been involved with or seen Derek doing 'readings' so nothing personal.

The specific case I'm talking about was at Guys Cliffe House in Warwickshire, Derek said that he was 'being told' that Matthew Hopkins had been there, who was the Witchfinder General.

Now I and others were massively confused at the time, because Hopkins was based around Essex, so myself and two others started to research it through The Warwickshire archives and Guys Cliffe Archive.

4 weeks later of going through original documents, we found a single line reference to Hopkins visiting the house with the Earl of Warwick when he was visiting Warwick Castle.

Like I said, none of this was digitised back then, and it too us weeks.

Login to get fewer ads

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:02 - Jan 4 with 815 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:54 - Jan 4 by eireblue

How many mediums would you expect to get TV shows?

How much money do you get for presenting such a show?

If that is your only source of income, seems worth a couple months effort to do research, in order to become and maintain a job as a well known medium. Especially if it provides a sufficient degree of credibility that someone will even point out this knowledge as a proof point.

Did you do the confirmatory research for free?

Yes, did the research for free. I wasn't paid by anyone.

Hardly any of them become TV mediums, although a lot set out with that intention.
As has been said previously, there's no real need for extensive research, if people want to believe it, they will.

What I was looking for was stuff that was difficult to come by. Easy to walk into the Tower of London and say "I'm picking up on Anne Boleyn"

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:04 - Jan 4 with 802 viewsthorpedo

He is still appearing on the next series of Most Haunted......

Thorpedo

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:10 - Jan 4 with 780 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:04 - Jan 4 by thorpedo

He is still appearing on the next series of Most Haunted......

He was sacked years ago.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:22 - Jan 4 with 755 viewssparks

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:02 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Yes, did the research for free. I wasn't paid by anyone.

Hardly any of them become TV mediums, although a lot set out with that intention.
As has been said previously, there's no real need for extensive research, if people want to believe it, they will.

What I was looking for was stuff that was difficult to come by. Easy to walk into the Tower of London and say "I'm picking up on Anne Boleyn"

I am going to bet that Acorah, like most of them, has never agreed to do any of this under controlled conditions...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:25 - Jan 4 with 747 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:22 - Jan 4 by sparks

I am going to bet that Acorah, like most of them, has never agreed to do any of this under controlled conditions...

Most Haunted started off as 'in controlled conditions', but it was widely known that most of their mediums were being fed information by the crew prior to recording/broadcast.

I don't know of any medium who has subjected themselves to a control test.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 16:26]

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:25 - Jan 4 with 747 viewsgerryitfc

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:53 - Jan 4 by Steve_M

Indeed, it was the desire not to tarnish the dead that lead to the BBC binning their Saville documentary.

Which leads nicely on to this...
Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:27 - Jan 4 with 740 viewsStokieBlue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:22 - Jan 4 by sparks

There was a 1m USD prize put up by the Randi Foundation for anyone who could prove themselves under controlled conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

>1000 attempts, 0 winners.

SB

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:34 - Jan 4 with 726 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:27 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

There was a 1m USD prize put up by the Randi Foundation for anyone who could prove themselves under controlled conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

>1000 attempts, 0 winners.

SB

I've looked through, but I can't see where it mentions >1000 attempts?

I only see 7 and only 1 of those is described as a medium?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:36 - Jan 4 with 716 viewsHerbivore

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:40 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

What can't I know for certain? That he came up with stuff that took months to research and turn out as correct?

I can, because I researched it.

Irrespective of is any medium preys on people through 1-2-1 readings, you don't know anything for certain either, but you certainly seem pretty angry if people don't share your view.

I know for certain Derek Acorah couldn't communicate with the dead. Maybe he can now he's joined them but I'd be highly skeptical about that too.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 16:36]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:38 - Jan 4 with 711 viewssparks

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:34 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Most didnt get as far as tests - they applied and then generally failed to agree proper controlled conditions...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:43 - Jan 4 with 693 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:36 - Jan 4 by Herbivore

I know for certain Derek Acorah couldn't communicate with the dead. Maybe he can now he's joined them but I'd be highly skeptical about that too.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 16:36]

How do you know for certain?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:43 - Jan 4 with 688 viewsHerbivore

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:59 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

As I've said, I've never been involved with or seen Derek doing 'readings' so nothing personal.

The specific case I'm talking about was at Guys Cliffe House in Warwickshire, Derek said that he was 'being told' that Matthew Hopkins had been there, who was the Witchfinder General.

Now I and others were massively confused at the time, because Hopkins was based around Essex, so myself and two others started to research it through The Warwickshire archives and Guys Cliffe Archive.

4 weeks later of going through original documents, we found a single line reference to Hopkins visiting the house with the Earl of Warwick when he was visiting Warwick Castle.

So he reported that someone who it was recorded had been at that location had been at that location? I'm sold, guy can clearly speak to the dead.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:43 - Jan 4 with 690 viewsStokieBlue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:34 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

I should have been clearer. There were over 1000 applications but when the conditions became clear virtually all of them dropped out. That fact alone says quite a lot.

SB

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:43 - Jan 4 with 690 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:38 - Jan 4 by sparks

Most didnt get as far as tests - they applied and then generally failed to agree proper controlled conditions...

Ta.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:45 - Jan 4 with 677 viewsHerbivore

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:43 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

How do you know for certain?

Because there is zero evidence that it is even possible to communicate with the dead. The fact they are dead is a bit of a giveaway in itself.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:51 - Jan 4 with 659 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:45 - Jan 4 by Herbivore

Because there is zero evidence that it is even possible to communicate with the dead. The fact they are dead is a bit of a giveaway in itself.

I disagree.

I'm not suggesting that mediums are a communicative tool, but even speaking as a skeptic, I've seen and heard enough in over 500 investigations to suggest that there is 'something' beyond us that has enough intelligence to do things in response to invitation.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 16:52 - Jan 4 with 652 viewsStokieBlue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 15:59 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

So I literally just looked at this for 2 minutes and Matthew Hopkins had his trials taken by the Earl of Warwick who owns the house.

Not really a huge leap to say he might have gone there at some point in the past. It's certainly something a medium would chance thinking nobody would look into it and if they did it might be true.

You'd certainly look into connections to the Earl of Warwick if you were talking about a specific venue of his and the witchfinder general is certainly an interesting acquaintance.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024