Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Licence Fee 14:41 - Dec 9 with 2102 viewsGuthrum

'How long can you justify a system whereby everybody who has a TV has to pay to fund a particular set of TV and radio channels?'

As long as is necessary to protect public service broadcasting, minority content and quality programming (especially radio). Also to defend it from commercial and political interference.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Licence Fee on 18:39 - Dec 9 with 335 viewsfooters

Licence Fee on 18:32 - Dec 9 by Guthrum

I suspect political revenge may also have something to do with it. Remember, the BBC is a refuge of lefty Europhiles*.

* Unless you're a lefty. Then it's furiously right wing and gives too much air-time to Brexiteers.

It's too fair for its own good. Why give climate change deniers an equal platform? Ridiculous.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Licence Fee on 19:36 - Dec 9 with 321 viewsBluesquid

Licence Fee on 17:44 - Dec 9 by Guthrum

That clip was accurate analysis, at that particular moment. For a brief time, it looked as if Saddam's regime had been relatively easily overthrown and the populace were rejoicing. It took a couple of weeks for the situation to begin dissolving into chaos and violence (especially after the insane decision to summarily dissmiss the entire army and civil service).

No public service journalist should sound like a member of the PM's cabinet or PR team which Marr certainly does in that clip.
Licence Fee on 19:39 - Dec 9 with 321 viewsm14_blue

This is incredibly worrying.

In order to effectively spread disinformation and fake news you have to discredit any media that challenges you, straight from the Trump playbook.

You can already see the patsies on social media who have fallen for it, denigrating the BBC and Channel 4 constantly.

I fear we are heading for a very dark place when the tories gain their majority.
Licence Fee on 19:45 - Dec 9 with 317 viewsRadlett_blue

We should keep the publicly funded BBC, but why not fund it from income tax rather than the anachronistic TV licence?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Licence Fee on 19:49 - Dec 9 with 313 viewsHARRY10

Licence Fee on 19:39 - Dec 9 by m14_blue

This is incredibly worrying.

In order to effectively spread disinformation and fake news you have to discredit any media that challenges you, straight from the Trump playbook.

You can already see the patsies on social media who have fallen for it, denigrating the BBC and Channel 4 constantly.

I fear we are heading for a very dark place when the tories gain their majority.

" when the tories gain their majority"

when, being the operative word
Licence Fee on 19:51 - Dec 9 with 310 viewsm14_blue

Licence Fee on 19:49 - Dec 9 by HARRY10

" when the tories gain their majority"

when, being the operative word

I admire your optimism but I'm hoping for the best whilst expecting the worst.
Licence Fee on 20:08 - Dec 9 with 282 viewsJ2BLUE

The all round package from BBC is excellent. More than happy to keep paying the licence fee.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Licence Fee on 20:27 - Dec 9 with 270 viewswkj

Licence Fee on 17:21 - Dec 9 by chicoazul

A few things on that.

You don't have to pay a licence fee to own and use a TV. You only need one if you fall under a particular category of user.

If the BBC were to go subscription-only for TV I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. In fact it could be very good (although i would want to have access to *everything*). I use the BBC extensively and personally would have no problem continuing to pay, and it would almost definitely become the biggest streaming service in the country at its' current price. Several people feel otherwise.

How that would work from the perspective of Radio & online I dont know but perhaps there could be a very small levy on Netflix, Prime, BBC etc subscribers to pay for BBC Radio & online to continue to exist.

One of the funniest arguments I ever had on this board was on this very point.

So I scrapped my TV license by wkj 6 Jul 2017 21:30
I do not use Iplayer, but i do use Amazon Prime Video and Netflix as im finding the quality of those shows much better than most syndicated programs. I do not regret this decision at all, though do the TV License people ever stop hounding you?

I have called them up and told them clearly im not using BBC's online service, nor do i have any kind of non-internet related connections to my tv, so I do not wish for one - yet i still keep getting reminder letters that I have not got one- it is quite harassing now

EDIT: Just for clarity I am not trying to stage an anti license coup, I simply am not paying for a service I do not currently use

I never did go to jail.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Licence Fee on 21:28 - Dec 9 with 249 viewsBlueBadger

Licence Fee on 15:01 - Dec 9 by wkj

I fear that BBC Radio 4 would be cut if it was a case of commercial radio. I genuinely love the dramas, comedy and clever people chat on there.

Not just 4. Six, Three, Asian Network and most local stations would be gutted if not lost forever.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024