Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? 08:24 - Nov 13 with 3033 viewsgroovyASH

Does treating our cup games with contempt:
- go against the popular views of the fan base desperate for a cup run
- add to rather than lower game time, add to travel, and reduce preparation opportunities in training
- hinder momentum of two league victories with the psychological effects of defeat, drawers, and replays which then affects the terraces

I am afraid I do not buy that we do not have enough fit professional footballers to at least lower the full squad rotation for cup games and mix it up.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:51 - Nov 13 with 403 viewsclive_baker

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:41 - Nov 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

As per my post I assumed you were making a more general comment re McCarthy, if you weren’t then fine

I was also pretty clear in the post I linked that the Lincoln season was the one that was definitely worthy of criticism, although it could perhaps be argued we had an eye over our shoulder the other way at the time of the game. More likely though that McCarthy thought we would progress still given the non-league opposition (worth remembering that they hadn’t also beaten Burnley at that point and our quality should still have shown) and got it badly wrong - the lineup for the replay would suggest as much too

No not a general comment, I don't have an issue with resting players for the cup generally if there's a bigger picture to consider. 2015 playoffs, 2016 definitely still hunting for playoffs albeit falling short. It was really just 2017 I think where it annoyed most given our season was finished after that Lincoln match, which was a real shame.

I liked Mick, but I do feel like that was a downfall. It's more palatable now as the bigger picture is again promotion.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:54 - Nov 13 with 392 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:51 - Nov 13 by clive_baker

No not a general comment, I don't have an issue with resting players for the cup generally if there's a bigger picture to consider. 2015 playoffs, 2016 definitely still hunting for playoffs albeit falling short. It was really just 2017 I think where it annoyed most given our season was finished after that Lincoln match, which was a real shame.

I liked Mick, but I do feel like that was a downfall. It's more palatable now as the bigger picture is again promotion.

Fair enough. Though I disagree on this season as to me it was a golden chance for some more goodwill and a first FA Cup win for some time, but I do also agree with whichever poster above mentioned that if we go up no one will give a t*ss about whether we progressed against Lincoln or not

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Even Mick's biggest fans would.... on 12:57 - Nov 13 with 386 viewsBloots

Is Lambert making the first big mistake Mick made? on 12:51 - Nov 13 by clive_baker

...have to say that the performance/selection for that game against Lincoln was pathetic.

My issue is that, as this thread has shown, facts get distorted to paint a certain picture, when we have just seen our current manager make 10 changes in the cup when we haven't even got a game for a fortnight.

Just because our manager claps the fans a lot, he's not exempt from criticism.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

No we didn't (n/t) on 12:59 - Nov 13 with 371 viewsTractorCam

No we didn't (n/t) on 12:49 - Nov 13 by clive_baker

I stand corrected, it was 16th.

Well don't you feel stupid now

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Even Mick's biggest fans would.... on 13:13 - Nov 13 with 355 viewsclive_baker

Even Mick's biggest fans would.... on 12:57 - Nov 13 by Bloots

...have to say that the performance/selection for that game against Lincoln was pathetic.

My issue is that, as this thread has shown, facts get distorted to paint a certain picture, when we have just seen our current manager make 10 changes in the cup when we haven't even got a game for a fortnight.

Just because our manager claps the fans a lot, he's not exempt from criticism.

I don't disagree, given the fixture circumstances. As I said in my initial post, I would've liked us to line up stronger against Lincoln. Especially as we're not talking about wholesale changes, perhaps 1 or 2 bits of quality in the final 1/3. Norwood & Judge for example. If we had a league game this weekend then fair enough, but given we've got such a long break I would've gone for it more on Saturday personally. All I'm saying is PL has the fallback of being top and rightly pointing to the league as a priority, MM didn't have that in 2017.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024