Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Further austerity then 11:21 - Nov 2 with 6179 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Tories promise tax cuts if elected.

Mail article so haven't read more than headline or linked it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

On a related note ... on 12:54 - Nov 2 with 3134 viewsGuthrum

On a related note ... on 12:39 - Nov 2 by footers

Exactly my position, buh. How can we be in a position where we're essentially held ransom by a few at the top? If they want to leave, let them; there'll be plenty of others willing to take their place, make a decent living and give back to society. (I'm not suggesting that these people haven't, by the way, just that to me their patriotism seems a little weak if they're willing to up sticks because they'd be paying more in tax.)

I'm not knocking the rich as a whole. Having worked in the charity fundraising sector, I've seen how much many, probably most, of the super-wealthy give to good causes.

I just think it hypocritical that having grown up and run their businesses in a stable country with good infrastructure and a decent social safety net, certain of these types are refusing to pay their fair share. Not punitive rates of 80 or 90%, as we have had in the past. This is only 45 or 50% on the income an individual earns over £80k or £125k.

Interestingly, those making the most fuss include people like Mike Ashley, who does not seem to have the best reputation as an employer.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Further austerity then on 13:12 - Nov 2 with 3106 viewsWD19

Further austerity then on 12:45 - Nov 2 by Guthrum

I strongly suspect the mathematical modelling used to balance and extrapolate the raw data from poll samples is some way out for this current situation.

It isn't a case of "all polling being rubbish", more we are into uncharted territory. No situation like this has come about since the industry really took off, with the major contendors fragmenting over a cross-party issue which also gives a whole new set of motivations to the electorate. There simply isn't the analytical information on how this will play out. Even 2017 was nothing like this.

I think, perhaps, overmuch emphasis is being given to traditional loyalties to Conservative and Labour (which, with the loss of Scotland to the SNP, favours the former). But I don't know. Nobody really does, yet.

The vote share polling will be remarkably, incredibly, accurate. How that transposes to # seats is anyones guess.
Further austerity then on 14:13 - Nov 2 with 3084 viewssparks

Further austerity then on 11:54 - Nov 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

Difficult to prove cause and effect. I should imagine the link between drug dealing and knife crime is fairly proven and there is surely a link between increased poverty and increased drug usage. It doesn't take a lot to come to the conclusion you have there.

However, somehow it will all be spun as Labour's fault for something they did or didn't do in the 2000s.

I find it so depressing the Tories continue to be so far ahead in opinion polls.

Its relevant to recoginse that County Lines is a huge driver here- and not obviously connected to cuts as such.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Further austerity then on 14:48 - Nov 2 with 3063 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Further austerity then on 14:13 - Nov 2 by sparks

Its relevant to recoginse that County Lines is a huge driver here- and not obviously connected to cuts as such.

As I said, difficult to prove cause and effect but anecdotally county lines is, at least partially, driven by an increase in poverty.

Further austerity then on 14:51 - Nov 2 with 3056 viewsBlueBadger

Further austerity then on 14:48 - Nov 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

As I said, difficult to prove cause and effect but anecdotally county lines is, at least partially, driven by an increase in poverty.

Not just that, cuts to ancillary services such as youth centres/groups and sports groups. The people running these make a much-underrated contribution in identifying and keeping vulnerable youngsters from going off the rails.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2019 21:03]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

On a related note ... on 14:52 - Nov 2 with 3057 viewsfactual_blue

On a related note ... on 12:54 - Nov 2 by Guthrum

I'm not knocking the rich as a whole. Having worked in the charity fundraising sector, I've seen how much many, probably most, of the super-wealthy give to good causes.

I just think it hypocritical that having grown up and run their businesses in a stable country with good infrastructure and a decent social safety net, certain of these types are refusing to pay their fair share. Not punitive rates of 80 or 90%, as we have had in the past. This is only 45 or 50% on the income an individual earns over £80k or £125k.

Interestingly, those making the most fuss include people like Mike Ashley, who does not seem to have the best reputation as an employer.

And as Andrew Carnegie said, 'The man who dies rich, dies disgraced.'

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Further austerity then on 15:05 - Nov 2 with 3051 viewssparks

Further austerity then on 14:48 - Nov 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

It seems to be driven by technology, ease of operation, and very low drug prices.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Further austerity then on 15:13 - Nov 2 with 3042 viewsBent_double

Further austerity then on 15:05 - Nov 2 by sparks

It seems to be driven by technology, ease of operation, and very low drug prices.

My understanding is that people are forced to go and work the 'county lines' because they are somehow in debt to the drug dealers, that maybe due to addiction, or simply borrowing money to pay for food/rent/clothes for themselves and their families.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Login to get fewer ads

Further austerity then on 15:19 - Nov 2 with 3027 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Or by a market that is easy to tap into.

Poverty increases the likely market and drives the price down (hence the need to expand market share in order to maintain or build profit).

Yes, technology and opportunity apply too. With higher police and social work funding and less desperate poverty some of that is taken out of the picture.

As I keep saying it is not a simple binary, easy to identify issue but austerity helps to feed it.

Further austerity then on 15:19 - Nov 2 with 3019 viewsBlueBadger

And the cuts to policing, youth and social services.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Further austerity then on 15:20 - Nov 2 with 3023 viewssparks

Further austerity then on 15:13 - Nov 2 by Bent_double

My understanding is that people are forced to go and work the 'county lines' because they are somehow in debt to the drug dealers, that maybe due to addiction, or simply borrowing money to pay for food/rent/clothes for themselves and their families.

The lcassic approaches seem to be:

They prey on vulnerable people. Kids at care homes. People with mental health issues, alchoholism. etc etc.

They find kids who are easily led, or lack self esteem. Sure- sometimes kids who dont have much. They buy them some gifts, make friends- and then start requiring favours in return.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2019 15:22]

Further austerity then on 15:23 - Nov 2 with 3014 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Further austerity then on 15:20 - Nov 2 by sparks

The lcassic approaches seem to be:

They prey on vulnerable people. Kids at care homes. People with mental health issues, alchoholism. etc etc.

They find kids who are easily led, or lack self esteem. Sure- sometimes kids who dont have much. They buy them some gifts, make friends- and then start requiring favours in return.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2019 15:22]

So not simply poor people but some of it is and many of the rest are people who society are not supporting as well as society should be … partly due to lack of funding due to the Governmental choice of austerity.

Further austerity then on 15:25 - Nov 2 with 3008 viewssparks

Further austerity then on 15:23 - Nov 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

So not simply poor people but some of it is and many of the rest are people who society are not supporting as well as society should be … partly due to lack of funding due to the Governmental choice of austerity.

Not at all convinced that follows or can be demonstrated.

Though the resources to tackle it are clearly painfully lacking.

Further austerity then on 15:28 - Nov 2 with 3001 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Further austerity then on 12:48 - Nov 2 by BigManBlue

Yore*

U r....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Further austerity then on 15:39 - Nov 2 with 2976 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Further austerity then on 15:25 - Nov 2 by sparks

Not at all convinced that follows or can be demonstrated.

Though the resources to tackle it are clearly painfully lacking.

That can't be demonstrated … although clearly the funding that would help prevent it is lacking.

Rather like saying cause and effect is difficult to prove but it is fairly clear austerity is at least a partial driver … my argument throughout. Tackling it reduces it!

Further austerity then on 16:22 - Nov 2 with 2939 viewssparks

Further austerity then on 15:39 - Nov 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

That can't be demonstrated … although clearly the funding that would help prevent it is lacking.

Rather like saying cause and effect is difficult to prove but it is fairly clear austerity is at least a partial driver … my argument throughout. Tackling it reduces it!

Your logic does not really work there.

A new ish thing has arisen. It is not clearly driven by austerity (which was plainly a financial necessity to a large extent in any event). We lack, however, the resources to deal with a criminial methodology which is new and technology driven.

The argument is better if it it does not reach too far. Makes it far less straightforward for people who are not with you, to dismiss it...

On a related note ... on 16:35 - Nov 2 with 2933 viewsbournemouthblue

On a related note ... on 12:29 - Nov 2 by Guthrum

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/nov/02/super-rich-leave-uk-labour-election

What use are these people to the country anyway, if all they want to do is pile up personal wealth and flee at the slightest hint of putting anything back through taxation (hardly at punitive rates by 1970s standards)?

Are they going to cut off their own noses (and income streams) by no longer running their businesses in the UK? Even if they do, will that not leave gaps in the market for other entrepreneurs to replace the lost employment?

It's a funny one isn't it because actually quite a lot of our Super Rich have decided to leave our economy through taxation, offshoring their money through various tax havens

These people aren't patriots are they

You also have companies such as Amazon who have an intentional policy of paying as little tax as they can, outside of their homeland but want all the financial benefits of those markets and none of the downsides

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Further austerity then on 16:37 - Nov 2 with 2923 viewsbournemouthblue

Further austerity then on 14:13 - Nov 2 by sparks

If you create the environment for crime to flourish, it will. It's quite simple.

It's an uncomfortable truth for the politicians who chose to implement these policies.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

On a related note ... on 16:41 - Nov 2 with 2919 viewsBloomBlue

On a related note ... on 16:35 - Nov 2 by bournemouthblue

It's a funny one isn't it because actually quite a lot of our Super Rich have decided to leave our economy through taxation, offshoring their money through various tax havens

These people aren't patriots are they

You also have companies such as Amazon who have an intentional policy of paying as little tax as they can, outside of their homeland but want all the financial benefits of those markets and none of the downsides

But all people love american companies if you dont like their tax payments stop using Amazon, Netflix, Twitter, Apple etc etc. Trouble is people are hypocrites they moan about those companies but still use them.
Further austerity then on 17:54 - Nov 2 with 2882 viewsgazzer1999

Further austerity then on 11:37 - Nov 2 by Guthrum

Everyone knows that the lower taxes are, the more money governments have to spend. And increasing taxes even a small amount will instantly cause every business in the UK to close down.

Quite correct, the lower the tax rates and historically the tax take goes up, even with your tongue in cheek.
Further austerity then on 18:23 - Nov 2 with 2852 viewsMullet

Further austerity then on 14:51 - Nov 2 by BlueBadger

Not just that, cuts to ancillary services such as youth centres/groups and sports groups. The people running these make a much-underrated contribution in identifying and keeping vulnerable youngsters from going off the rails.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2019 21:03]

Big Society in full force innit.

Almost as though the stretching of services to breaking point, lack of resources are as joined up as the vicious circle which enables these social ills. To deny it is bizarre. But that's always been the Tory way.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Further austerity then on 19:08 - Nov 2 with 2828 viewsGuthrum

Further austerity then on 17:54 - Nov 2 by gazzer1999

Quite correct, the lower the tax rates and historically the tax take goes up, even with your tongue in cheek.

Can you provide some statistical support for that?

Further austerity then on 19:25 - Nov 2 with 2813 viewsBloomBlue

Further austerity then on 19:08 - Nov 2 by Guthrum

Can you provide some statistical support for that?

When they increased the tax on house sales over £1m the tax they received reduced by 50% as people reduce the price below £1m to save on tax. Venezuela increased tax by 50% and that created a civil war
Further austerity then on 19:31 - Nov 2 with 2802 viewssparks

Further austerity then on 19:25 - Nov 2 by BloomBlue

When they increased the tax on house sales over £1m the tax they received reduced by 50% as people reduce the price below £1m to save on tax. Venezuela increased tax by 50% and that created a civil war

Thats not support for the point you make.

there is undoubtedly a "sweet spot" beyond which increased taxation results in more problems than income, but what you say above is simply innaccurate.

Further austerity then on 19:34 - Nov 2 with 2798 viewsGuthrum

Further austerity then on 19:25 - Nov 2 by BloomBlue

That's not the same as Income Tax. Can't see many reducing their salaries to get below the threshold (and would it be a bad thing if they did?). Plus we're not talking massive increases, just five pence in the pound in very high earning brackets (three to five times the national average earnings).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024