Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elite 08:23 - Oct 31 with 14873 viewsblueislander

So “the elite” are going to be under attack from Labour. Who are they? Top surgeons? Top sportsmen and women? Scientists? I think they need to be a bit more specific., or just stick to “the corrupt”
Elite on 10:07 - Oct 31 with 3573 viewsitfcjoe

Elite on 10:03 - Oct 31 by lowhouseblue

first rule of rabble rousing - find someone to blame.

There are people to blame though, and these are a better target than immigrants or the EU

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Elite on 10:09 - Oct 31 with 3558 viewslowhouseblue

Elite on 10:07 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

There are people to blame though, and these are a better target than immigrants or the EU

exactly. farrage goes for immigrants and the eu, corbyn goes for the 'elite' (whatever that means). same tactics, different audience.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Elite on 10:09 - Oct 31 with 3556 viewsDubtractor

Elite on 10:07 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

Yep. Odd angle from lowie.

Appreciate he is unhappy with what labour are now, but that post just seems about being desperate to find fault.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Elite on 10:09 - Oct 31 with 3551 viewsBlueBadger

Elite on 10:03 - Oct 31 by lowhouseblue

first rule of rabble rousing - find someone to blame.

As a general rule, blaming the people who are actually responsible for the state of the country is probably safer ground than blaming say, foreigners or disabled people.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Elite on 10:10 - Oct 31 with 3549 viewsNo9

I don't think any of those you have identified as the 'elite' that need to be corralled in.
How many foreign corporations make a lot of mony in the UK & pay no tax?
Press barons living in tax havens?
Americans (& some others) who don't pay tax in the UK
Some organisations that are dishonestly registered as charities
The list is long & included companies belonging to foreign governments
Elite on 10:10 - Oct 31 with 3543 viewsBlueBadger

Elite on 10:09 - Oct 31 by lowhouseblue

exactly. farrage goes for immigrants and the eu, corbyn goes for the 'elite' (whatever that means). same tactics, different audience.

Trouble is, the 'elite' are comfortably more to blame for the state of the nation than foreigners and the EU.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Elite on 10:13 - Oct 31 with 3528 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Elite on 09:59 - Oct 31 by factual_blue

Trust me, I find it's not all it's cracked up to be.

https://www.allelitewrestling.com/

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Elite on 10:15 - Oct 31 with 3526 viewslowhouseblue

Elite on 10:09 - Oct 31 by Dubtractor

Yep. Odd angle from lowie.

Appreciate he is unhappy with what labour are now, but that post just seems about being desperate to find fault.

my concern is that it is superficial, contentless, and populist. reducing the economic and social problems in the uk down to a list of 'elite' individuals is low level, simplistic, sloganizing. as people have pointed out, it isn't really all that different form someone on the right saying our problems are all down to immigrants or the eu. why is populism on the left better than populism on the right?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Elite on 10:17 - Oct 31 with 3521 viewsfooters

Elite on 10:15 - Oct 31 by lowhouseblue

my concern is that it is superficial, contentless, and populist. reducing the economic and social problems in the uk down to a list of 'elite' individuals is low level, simplistic, sloganizing. as people have pointed out, it isn't really all that different form someone on the right saying our problems are all down to immigrants or the eu. why is populism on the left better than populism on the right?

It's almost as if it's an overly simplistic electioneering soundbite, not a full raft of policy detail which will come in the manifesto. Think other parties have done it before, not sure though.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Elite on 10:17 - Oct 31 with 3518 viewslowhouseblue

Elite on 10:09 - Oct 31 by BlueBadger

As a general rule, blaming the people who are actually responsible for the state of the country is probably safer ground than blaming say, foreigners or disabled people.

but in either case, is that the level of political discussion we should be aiming for? the duke of westminster - booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. lock him up, lock him up ….

Elite on 10:18 - Oct 31 with 3513 viewsitfcjoe

Because a two bob local company paying more corporation tax than global behemoths is more of an issue than immigrants coming across as low paid workers and paying their taxes

Elite on 10:21 - Oct 31 with 3490 viewsBlueBadger

Elite on 10:17 - Oct 31 by lowhouseblue

but in either case, is that the level of political discussion we should be aiming for? the duke of westminster - booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. lock him up, lock him up ….

It's an election pitch, which have rarely been reknowned for their sophistication.

Elite on 10:22 - Oct 31 with 3492 viewsDubtractor

In fairness, the bits I don't like are the overly sensational bits, like the birth in the toilet line.

It would be lovely if all parties ran a nice campaign with conciliatory language, but given that none of the other parties will what are labour left to do?

It's obviously a bit sad, but populism clearly wins elections. At least Corbyn's targets seem justified.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Elite on 10:23 - Oct 31 with 3483 viewsBlueBadger

Elite on 09:49 - Oct 31 by usm

Hahaha

Get real

If they get rid of all the dodgy businessmen/women there wont be any businesses left. Try funding for disadvantaged children's education then.

So, in order to fund children's education via taxation, we should continue to allow people to avoid tax?

I'm not sure you've thought very closely about this.

Elite on 10:25 - Oct 31 with 3473 viewsBlueBadger

Elite on 08:58 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

Great game.

SB

Have you played 'Elite: Dangerous'?
It's a stunningly presented game with millions of real Milky Way locations that you can visit.
There's even an achievement for discovering Earth-like planets.

Elite on 10:35 - Oct 31 with 3462 viewsitfcjoe

Elite on 10:22 - Oct 31 by Dubtractor

In fairness, the bits I don't like are the overly sensational bits, like the birth in the toilet line.

It would be lovely if all parties ran a nice campaign with conciliatory language, but given that none of the other parties will what are labour left to do?

It's obviously a bit sad, but populism clearly wins elections. At least Corbyn's targets seem justified.

It doesn’t take much of a look into working conditions at likes of Amazon and Sports Direct to see these things aren’t overly sensational- they are workhouses

Elite on 10:41 - Oct 31 with 3444 viewsusm

Elite on 09:54 - Oct 31 by chicoazul

Criminality and tax evasion are the price we have to pay for our tiny reduced state no buses and lack of social care?

But we dont have no buses or lack of social care

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Elite on 10:44 - Oct 31 with 3441 viewsusm

Elite on 10:02 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

A depressing world view, don’t you want better?

Plenty of good business men and women out there, running good businesses well without just totally exploiting people

Yeah I do, I want a lot of things but I cant have them all.

Its a big bad world out there, nice people rarely win.

FOYSC

Elite on 10:45 - Oct 31 with 3434 viewsfooters

Elite on 10:41 - Oct 31 by usm

If there's no lack of social care, why have 50,000 elderly people died waiting for it, according to Age UK?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Elite on 10:45 - Oct 31 with 3433 viewsitfcjoe

Elite on 10:44 - Oct 31 by usm

Yeah I do, I want a lot of things but I cant have them all.

Its a big bad world out there, nice people rarely win.

Well if you vote for them then what do you expect?

Elite on 10:46 - Oct 31 with 3427 viewsusm

Elite on 10:23 - Oct 31 by BlueBadger

So, in order to fund children's education via taxation, we should continue to allow people to avoid tax?

I'm not sure you've thought very closely about this.

I didnt say that did I, but heyho.

FOYSC

Elite on 10:49 - Oct 31 with 3410 viewschicoazul

Elite on 10:41 - Oct 31 by usm

Wrong, friend.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Elite on 10:50 - Oct 31 with 3406 viewsusm

Elite on 10:49 - Oct 31 by chicoazul

Wrong, friend.

We have no buses?

Bvgger!!!

FOYSC

Elite on 11:34 - Oct 31 with 3363 viewsgiant_stow

Personally, I reckon you're right about this being a populist message, but its obviously been decided that to fight and beat Boris, they'll have counter his 'parliment vs the people' line. Fight fire with fire....

It's very well written imho and could just help turn the tables. And those tables really should be turned given that Boris really does represent *an* elite (there are plenty of categories out there) who really are looking to fck the plebs (like me!).

I'm surprisingly heartenned by it.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2019 11:37]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Elite on 11:42 - Oct 31 with 3344 viewsStokieBlue

Elite on 10:25 - Oct 31 by BlueBadger

Have you played 'Elite: Dangerous'?
It's a stunningly presented game with millions of real Milky Way locations that you can visit.
There's even an achievement for discovering Earth-like planets.

Unfortunately I don't play games anymore. That sounds like amazing fun though!

My only frame of reference is the original Elite which was magnificent.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024