Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? 15:13 - Oct 7 with 16695 viewsBrixtonBlue

Presumably if you were able to measure the brainwaves of babies in the womb, you'd see that they are conscious of their surroundings, and this develops over time and through parental, peer and societal influences.

But at what point am I thinking/conscious?

And why am *I* having this consciousness? Why did *I* (whatever *I* is) come to be inside this particular human that you all know and love?

I'm a bit busy today so I'll be back later to see how you're doing.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 07:58 - Oct 8 with 2898 viewsHerbivore

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 07:49 - Oct 8 by footers

Just make sure mum doesn't find those copies of Descartes under your mattress.

Or that she doesn't smell Kant on your fingers.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 09:24 - Oct 8 with 2860 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 07:46 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

I stand by the last sentence fully. Look, masturbation is fun, there's no shame in admitting you enjoy it.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 7:47]

I don't quite think that was the spirit in which you intended your statement to be taken. And deep thinking can be anything but fun at times.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 09:48 - Oct 8 with 2847 viewsHerbivore

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 09:24 - Oct 8 by WeWereZombies

I don't quite think that was the spirit in which you intended your statement to be taken. And deep thinking can be anything but fun at times.

It can be an affliction, but I think it's one that can be overcome.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:02 - Oct 8 with 2846 viewscaught-in-limbo

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 15:18 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

It's beamed in from an unknown location using an unknown method.

SB

I think you're not far from the truth there. But to be clear, are you saying that we humans are part of a whole, the Universe if you like, but limited in time and space - and that we experience our awareness, thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest – sort of like an optical delusion of our consciousness?
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 10:04]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:05 - Oct 8 with 2833 viewsHerbivore

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:02 - Oct 8 by caught-in-limbo

I think you're not far from the truth there. But to be clear, are you saying that we humans are part of a whole, the Universe if you like, but limited in time and space - and that we experience our awareness, thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest – sort of like an optical delusion of our consciousness?
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 10:04]

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:06 - Oct 8 with 2831 viewswkj

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:05 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

All I see now is "Stokie posted, must counter with something"

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:08 - Oct 8 with 2829 viewsfooters

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:06 - Oct 8 by wkj

Tbf, the Matrix was a pretty good film.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:14 - Oct 8 with 2817 viewswkj

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:08 - Oct 8 by footers

Tbf, the Matrix was a pretty good film.

So they say. I prefer staying in and enjoying a bit of american court room entertainment myself.

Login to get fewer ads

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:17 - Oct 8 with 2811 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:24 - Oct 7 by chicoazul

Hey, he said it.

Where?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:18 - Oct 8 with 2807 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:47 - Oct 7 by lowhouseblue

which floor were the lectures on?

The ground floor, why? Bit of an odd question.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:20 - Oct 8 with 2802 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 19:34 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

That's a moderate level rather than a high one I'd say. You're asking science to answer a metaphysical question. Metaphysical questions are intellectual masturbation at best.

What's a high level then? Not a dig, genuinely don't know what would be considered a high level if a degree is only "moderate." The obvious is a masters. Is it that much higher?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:20 - Oct 8 with 2802 viewstabletopjoe

I’m enjoying these slow search for God threads.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:20 - Oct 8 with 2800 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 19:46 - Oct 7 by factual_blue

He just to and from Fleetwood, leaving London at 5.00pm on a Friday. That's enough to make anybody doubt their existence, and indeed reality.

I left at 8.30in the end... and stayed in Brum overnight. Much more sensible.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:22 - Oct 8 with 2797 viewsjeera

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:18 - Oct 8 by BrixtonBlue

High.

Level.

Low[er] level.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:23 - Oct 8 with 2797 viewsPinewoodblue

Not sure it matters where it comes from but it is important that you follow it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:37 - Oct 8 with 2784 viewscaught-in-limbo

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:05 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

?

[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 10:48]

#toxic

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:03 - Oct 8 with 2752 viewscaught-in-limbo

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:06 - Oct 8 by wkj

Stokie made an interesting comment (as he often does). I think I agree with him, so was just clarifying.

#toxic

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:04 - Oct 8 with 2747 viewsHerbivore

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:20 - Oct 8 by BrixtonBlue

What's a high level then? Not a dig, genuinely don't know what would be considered a high level if a degree is only "moderate." The obvious is a masters. Is it that much higher?

Masters, maybe even PhD. Undergrad degrees are meh

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:14 - Oct 8 with 2741 viewsRyorry

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:21 - Oct 7 by sparks

Not sure there is any evidence for that... I very much doubt a collection of cells is conscious...

I think there is evidence that developing babies* hear & respond to music in the womb (haven't searched for it tho, will have a google later).

*ie foetuses
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 11:16]

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:17 - Oct 8 with 2733 viewschicoazul

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:20 - Oct 8 by tabletopjoe

I’m enjoying these slow search for God threads.

I think he may go for Islam in the end though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:29 - Oct 8 with 2720 viewsStokieBlue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:17 - Oct 8 by chicoazul

I think he may go for Islam in the end though.

One fictional story is pretty much the same as another.

They even have a crossover of characters.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:31 - Oct 8 with 2716 viewswkj

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:29 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

SB

When does Thanos show up?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:33 - Oct 8 with 2713 viewsfooters

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:29 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

SB

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:37 - Oct 8 with 2701 viewswkj

Spend an hour with this video Dolly, you'll probably enjoy it.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:38 - Oct 8 with 2701 viewslowhouseblue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:18 - Oct 8 by BrixtonBlue

ah, I was on the first floor when I asked my question so I guess it went over your head.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024