Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Johnsons speech to conference 21:56 - Oct 2 with 3737 viewsOldsmoker

Part of his speech included this.

"But remember, it was only a few years ago when people were saying that solar power would never work in cloudy old Britain and that wind turbines wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding."

Who would say such a thing?
That would be in an article written by Johnson in July 2013.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:47 - Oct 3 with 618 viewseireblue

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:01 - Oct 3 by hampstead_blue

The backstop's problems are well documented.

It's about hard compromises now. BJ's idea isn't perfect but it's better than the backstop.

Look Ireland never bothered about a border during the troubles. They just sat back and did nothing. Why should it bother them now? I don't mean checkpoints but BJ's idea is better than the backstop.

What border?

The British army blocked or cratered certain roads during the British troubles, and the Irish people repaired them.

The Good Friday agreement included the Republic changing the constitution to acknowledge that NI was party of the UK.

Before that, there wasn’t a border, it was more of a disputed territory.

You can’t start unpicking bits of international treaties for convenience.

There is a very obvious geographical border between Ireland and the UK Islands, probably better to use that.
Johnsons speech to conference on 11:02 - Oct 3 with 595 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:15 - Oct 3 by hampstead_blue

because Guy Verhofstat (excuse spelling) has gone on record as stating that the EU will try and nail us to the wall when it comes to a deal. His words and tone were vile.

There are plenty in the EU who want us to suffer and the backstop is purgatory for us. They will have us in ground hog day but make it like a living hell

What did Verhofstadt actually say? I don't know I haven't seen it.

thing is, if we want a trade deal with the EU, we will have to abide by their rules anyway. That's the reality of being a smaller third country. We can refuse of course but will likely mean no frictionless trade. It will be the same for anyone we want to trade with and in my personal opinion; peace for the people or Ireland and Northern Ireland is more important than attempting to get good trade deals (that we already have) with countries who will have no interest in giving us a good deal on anything without concessions

It's just my opinion but this whole Brexit mess seems so pointless to me
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 11:07]
Johnsons speech to conference on 11:11 - Oct 3 with 573 viewsm14_blue

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:15 - Oct 3 by hampstead_blue

because Guy Verhofstat (excuse spelling) has gone on record as stating that the EU will try and nail us to the wall when it comes to a deal. His words and tone were vile.

There are plenty in the EU who want us to suffer and the backstop is purgatory for us. They will have us in ground hog day but make it like a living hell

Ah, so it was never going to be easy to get a good deal then.

Which rather begs the question of why so many (all?) on the leave campaigns consistently told us it would be?

Were they being deliberately disingenuous or incredibly naive?

Either way, why are they not being challenged on their hugely significant and totally misleading statements now?
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 11:20]
Johnsons speech to conference on 11:16 - Oct 3 with 565 viewseireblue

Johnsons speech to conference on 11:11 - Oct 3 by m14_blue

Which rather begs the question of why so many (all?) on the leave campaigns consistently told us it would be?

Either way, why are they not being challenged on their hugely significant and totally misleading statements now?

They are challenged, “but look the answer I say to you now is we simply must get Brexit done”, is the trite response.

Enough people think that is a suitable answer.
Johnsons speech to conference on 11:17 - Oct 3 with 564 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Johnsons speech to conference on 11:11 - Oct 3 by m14_blue

I'd like to think they were being naïve or didn't realise what a mission it'd actually be. Thing is being economical with the truth seems to be a default setting for politicians etc these days.

I wish people were challenged on their lies, but again; even if they were would anyone care or believe it? It would probably get shouted down as fake news or remoaners losing etc.
Johnsons speech to conference on 23:37 - Oct 3 with 492 viewsreusersfreekicks

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:01 - Oct 3 by hampstead_blue

The backstop's problems are well documented.

It's about hard compromises now. BJ's idea isn't perfect but it's better than the backstop.

Look Ireland never bothered about a border during the troubles. They just sat back and did nothing. Why should it bother them now? I don't mean checkpoints but BJ's idea is better than the backstop.

Nonsense, again.
Johnsons speech to conference on 07:18 - Oct 4 with 462 viewsOldsmoker

Johnsons speech to conference on 09:33 - Oct 3 by hampstead_blue

He was entertaining.

Putting JC into space was funny. I don't know how many other party leaders would have said that!

I don't think his idea to bin the backstop is all that bad. He does state that whilst the perfect solution doesn't exist today, technology will deliver yet better solutions on a rolling basis.

That was my take away.

Both sides compromise and we allow technology to help solve the problem over time. Not sure the sectarian divide will swallow that though.

There is no technical solution at the the moment. There might well be in the future if the EU and the UK want it and work on the project together.

However, It could then be used as an interim solution for other countries that want to leave the EU. That's a problem for the EU. They don't want countries to have a workable get-out option.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Johnsons speech to conference on 07:28 - Oct 4 with 458 viewswkj

Given his brother and sister both have publically slapped him, I am beginning to wonder how much control boris has, rather than echoing the script of the key supporters. You would think that he must be going against his values considerably at this stage, but who knows.

The other alternative is he genuinely is a wurzel gummage looking alien with the intellectual clout of a timeshare salesman.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2019 7:35]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024