Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I cannot think of any technical reason 08:10 - Aug 16 with 6992 viewsGuthrum

why a UK government has to have a single individual as figurehead "Prime Minister". Especially a short-term government of national unity for a specific purpose.

There already exists a mechanism for the country to be governed by committee (the Cabinet, or, before that, the Council). It's pretty much how things were done before the 20-year Walpole-Whiggish domination of the Commons in the early 18th century. The chair of that committee could be held on a rotating basis by the heads of each party or faction parrticipating in the National Government, to keep everyone happy. Policy direction can be by democratic consensus (i.e. votes in Cabinet).

Solves the problem of the Corbyn-Swinson standoff, also allowing Conservative factions to take part without having to serve under a Labour leader.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I cannot think of any technical reason on 15:32 - Aug 16 with 470 viewsgiant_stow

I cannot think of any technical reason on 15:29 - Aug 16 by Darth_Koont

Who are these people who won't support an interim government to block a no-deal Brexit depending on who is leader?

They sound like massive tw@ts.

Bipartisan isn't just a word to chuck out - if Labour wants this, they need to mean it too.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

I cannot think of any technical reason on 15:34 - Aug 16 with 463 viewsDarth_Koont

I cannot think of any technical reason on 15:32 - Aug 16 by giant_stow

Bipartisan isn't just a word to chuck out - if Labour wants this, they need to mean it too.

Same for the LibDems.

Just get on with it FFS.

Pronouns: He/Him

I cannot think of any technical reason on 17:56 - Aug 16 with 416 viewsKievthegreat

I cannot think of any technical reason on 15:31 - Aug 16 by Clapham_Junction

Perhaps I used the wrong headline, but it still happened:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/jul/12/mandelson-clegg-brown-coalition

There's a lot of he said, she said in there with the different sides claiming intransigence on the other.

With regards "Clegg told Brown he had to go" as the headline declares the quotes from Mandelson are much more nuanced:

"Mandelson claims Clegg secretly told Brown: "Please understand, I have no personal animosity whatsoever. But it is not possible to secure the legitimacy of a coalition and win a referendum unless you move on in a dignified way.""

It's funny when you hear of "legitimacy" having seen the last 3 years though. We've had a government found in contempt of the parliament, the biggest defeat of the government in history, multiple massive defeats at that, prime ministers talking about attacking the very principles of parliamentary democracy, taking tyrannical acts like suspending parliament. What I wouldn't give for some legitimacy!
I cannot think of any technical reason on 17:58 - Aug 16 with 412 viewsKievthegreat

I cannot think of any technical reason on 15:26 - Aug 16 by J2BLUE

Can't they just force an election rather than try and put this backdoor government together? I think it's a bad idea and I can't stand Swinson.

They could, but Johnson's team have said they'd delay it until after Brexit day (which by the letter of the law they can).
I cannot think of any technical reason on 18:35 - Aug 16 with 384 viewsPinewoodblue

I cannot think of any technical reason on 17:58 - Aug 16 by Kievthegreat

They could, but Johnson's team have said they'd delay it until after Brexit day (which by the letter of the law they can).

Boris will stop all the scheming by asking parliament, on the first day MPs return, to agree to a General Election on 10th October. Labour will shred themselves apart in their annual conference.

Should the Conservatives gain a working majority, and sideline their rebels, Boris will be in a strong position to secure a workable agreement when EU leaders meet a week later.

There is also a good chance of a hung parliament as Tories could easily loose the 12 Scottish seats they gained last time and also the LibDem 's could win back the seats the Tories targeted, and won last time.

Be interesting to see what sort of manifesto Labour produce with regards to Brexit and a second referendum

Switchback ride on the currency markets.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024