Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How will the Evans era end? 14:41 - Aug 8 with 5360 viewsFrankfurtBlue

If Evans won't sell, and he is unwilling to inject more than the absolute minimum, ITFC will continue to lose competitive ground each season. The hope is that despite the competitive disadvantage Evans saddles his first team managers with, that the manager, his staff and the players can collectively outperform their peers. The odds are stacked against that over the longer term.

Evans won't invest in good people. He has shown that he not only has the capability to make costly mistakes, but to repeat them. He is out of depth in the football world, yet he will not appoint (an) experienced professional(s) to run the show for him, after 11 years of failure. Despite what he might want you to believe, relegation is a direct consequence of Evans' poor management of this club. His "5-point plan" of December 2016 was supposed to have the club compete at the upper end of the Championship, not League 1!

It is baffling to try to work out why he remains here, funding the deficit every season. My best guess is that he sees ITFC as some sort of challenge, from which he does not want to walk away as a complete loser. My hope is that if we do gain promotion back to the Championship this season, that he will view that as a minor success, and take the opportunity to sell the club. However, that is only a wish, but we need to be careful what we wish for, right? -:))

So to recap, he won't sell, he won't invest in it, he can't manage it, and he won't invest in good management either.

Where does it all end?

How will the Evans era end? on 15:50 - Aug 8 with 2634 viewsMrTown

Youth development, the acaddemy will bridge the gap for us long-term.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

How will the Evans era end? on 16:07 - Aug 8 with 2611 viewschicoazul

Not with a bang, but a whimper.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How will the Evans era end? on 16:09 - Aug 8 with 2607 viewsFrankfurtBlue

How will the Evans era end? on 15:50 - Aug 8 by MrTown

Youth development, the acaddemy will bridge the gap for us long-term.

That would be great, but do we not lose the best of the crop each season to an Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic, or Citeh? Not sure what difference a Category 1 Academy status would have made.

In any case, if we are to improve our lot, it will be via youngsters.
How will the Evans era end? on 16:12 - Aug 8 with 2602 viewsNaylorsboots

How will the Evans era end? on 14:51 - Aug 8 by Heathlander

We are playing Sunderland on Saturday in front of 20 odd thousand fans. We are competitive in the league we are playing in. We have a good chance of winning the game. The atmosphere will be bouncing.

I'm looking forward to it more than any other game for the last five years.

I cannot fathom how anyone is more excited being in league 1. Its a ridiculous scenario we find ourselves in and people are happier in this league than the championship. Utter nonsense
How will the Evans era end? on 16:13 - Aug 8 with 2598 viewsitfcjoe

How will the Evans era end? on 16:12 - Aug 8 by Naylorsboots

I cannot fathom how anyone is more excited being in league 1. Its a ridiculous scenario we find ourselves in and people are happier in this league than the championship. Utter nonsense

Yep, hard to agree that a home game in L1 is more exciting than a play off semi final against our biggest rivals....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How will the Evans era end? on 16:17 - Aug 8 with 2586 viewsrosseden

How will the Evans era end? on 15:33 - Aug 8 by jeera

I was thinking the same looking through that list.

Half of them would be broke in no time.

its spiraling further and further out of control though, it does make you wonder how many Bury / Bolton and no doubt more clubs will have to go to the wall before more is done.....

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

How will the Evans era end? on 16:35 - Aug 8 with 2563 viewsFrankfurtBlue

How will the Evans era end? on 16:17 - Aug 8 by rosseden

its spiraling further and further out of control though, it does make you wonder how many Bury / Bolton and no doubt more clubs will have to go to the wall before more is done.....

I suspect a whole host of clubs the size of Bury could go to the wall in a short time and (next to) nothing would be done about it.

On the subject of a potential new owner, If the costly mistakes, like selling Webster for peanuts and letting Jonas walk for nothing, could be cut out at Ipswich, how low could the annual loss be reduced to? Evans and MM got it to near enough break even a few seasons back.
How will the Evans era end? on 19:08 - Aug 8 with 2521 viewsBlueBadger

We are playing Sunderland on Saturday in front of 20 odd thousand fans. We are competitive in the league we are playing in. We have a good chance of winning the game. The atmosphere will be bouncing.

'Competitive' in the third division.

What a time to be alive.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

How will the Evans era end? on 19:19 - Aug 8 with 2515 viewsblueconscience

How will the Evans era end? on 14:55 - Aug 8 by StokieBlue

Or alternatively you could give the totally pointless moaning which has been said loads of times before a rest for the sake of the rest of the forum.

SB
[Post edited 8 Aug 2019 14:56]

Hope that rule will also apply to brexit posts

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

How will the Evans era end? on 19:20 - Aug 8 with 2514 viewsSpruceMoose

How will the Evans era end? on 19:19 - Aug 8 by blueconscience

Hope that rule will also apply to brexit posts

Please provide all the moaning Brexit posts Stokie has started, there's a love.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How will the Evans era end? on 19:24 - Aug 8 with 2510 viewsblueconscience

How will the Evans era end? on 19:20 - Aug 8 by SpruceMoose

Please provide all the moaning Brexit posts Stokie has started, there's a love.

I mean the rule applying to posts moaning about Brexit from anyone. I can’ t remember saying posts from him specifically, perhaps my Hippocampal Sclerosis is hitting me hard this evening

Have a nice afternoon young Sprucey Boy!!!!

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

How will the Evans era end? on 19:26 - Aug 8 with 2505 viewsSpruceMoose

How will the Evans era end? on 19:24 - Aug 8 by blueconscience

I mean the rule applying to posts moaning about Brexit from anyone. I can’ t remember saying posts from him specifically, perhaps my Hippocampal Sclerosis is hitting me hard this evening

Have a nice afternoon young Sprucey Boy!!!!

Off down the pub in a while. One of the other Spruces will be in charge of posting tonight. Not sure who is on the rota.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How will the Evans era end? on 19:31 - Aug 8 with 2501 viewsSwansea_Blue

How will the Evans era end? on 16:09 - Aug 8 by FrankfurtBlue

That would be great, but do we not lose the best of the crop each season to an Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic, or Citeh? Not sure what difference a Category 1 Academy status would have made.

In any case, if we are to improve our lot, it will be via youngsters.

I think that's what he means by bridging the gap - us selling on to cover shortfalls in funding. It doesn't address the fundamental problem of the team being crap of course.

How will ME's time with us end? Either, he strikes it very lucky with a manager who works/flukes a miracle (unlikely) or we'll keep slipping to the point where someone gives a monkeys and he's hounded out.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2019 19:31]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How will the Evans era end? on 22:29 - Aug 8 with 2453 viewsEwan_Oozami

Friends, Numbskulls, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Evans, not to praise him.
The evil that club owners do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their wallets;
So let it be with Evans. The noble Lambert
Hath told you Evans was ambitious:
If it were so, it wasn't grievously obvious,
And grievously hath Evans answer’d it.
Here, under leave of Lambert and the rest—
For Lambert is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable TWTD posters—
Come I to speak in Evans' funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Lambert says he was ambitious;
And Lambert is an honourable man.
He hath brought and sold many players here at Portman Road
Whose transfer fees did the general coffers fill?
Did this in Evans seem ambitious?
When that the TWTD posters have cried, Evans hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Lambert says he was ambitious;
You all did see that in his interview
I thrice presented him many transfer targets,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Lambert spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
But relegation withholds you to mourn for him?
O Judgement! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Evans,
And I must pause till it come back to me.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2019 22:31]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

How will the Evans era end? on 23:22 - Aug 8 with 2425 viewsCoastalblue

Maybe Evans is playing a smart long game, or more likely he's doing what he's able to afford.

Football below the PL is not sustainable longer term in this country, there will be atime when it does go bang in a big way. It might take 5 years, it might take 10, at least at the moment whilst we may be at one of our historical low points there is every chance we will come out the other side of this meltdown.

I'm not a huge Evans fan, but do think I'm a realist and think we could have a lot, lot worse as the custodian of our great club, of course I'd love someone a lot richer to come along and buy us and actually invest at a level now required. Don't think that's likely though.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

How will the Evans era end? on 23:25 - Aug 8 with 2422 viewsBLUEBEAT

giant mushroom cloud followed by 30 years of TWTD fallout

Poll: W or W

How will the Evans era end? on 06:29 - Aug 9 with 2379 viewsblueconscience

How will the Evans era end? on 23:25 - Aug 8 by BLUEBEAT

giant mushroom cloud followed by 30 years of TWTD fallout

I predict it will end when we lose 4-1 at home in the local derby vs Cornard Dynamos.

At the time this occurs, a majority now realise that Evans is no good for the club and only a few still love and thank him on TWTD on a daily basis.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2019 6:37]

How will the Evans era end? on 07:02 - Aug 9 with 2351 viewsBloomBlue

Same as the last era, in administration.
How will the Evans era end? on 07:07 - Aug 9 with 2350 viewsdissboy2

same here

COYB!
How will the Evans era end? on 08:11 - Aug 9 with 2332 viewsElephantintheRoom

It will end one of two ways. The only hope is that the club goes belly up and can be re-born run by locals and supporters as a poor-man's Barcelona. This has worked for Cambridge, Luton and Portsmouth - so there is no reason that it couldn't work here, other than the apparent lack of commitment that was evident when Sheepy was trying to milk locals of 'high net worth'. The other way it can end is very visible at Bolton and Bury right now. In the meantime the decline will probably accelerate - leaving Coventry and Blackpool as the closest models we will follow.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

How will the Evans era end? on 08:17 - Aug 9 with 2322 viewsthebooks

How will the Evans era end? on 22:29 - Aug 8 by Ewan_Oozami

Friends, Numbskulls, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Evans, not to praise him.
The evil that club owners do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their wallets;
So let it be with Evans. The noble Lambert
Hath told you Evans was ambitious:
If it were so, it wasn't grievously obvious,
And grievously hath Evans answer’d it.
Here, under leave of Lambert and the rest—
For Lambert is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable TWTD posters—
Come I to speak in Evans' funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Lambert says he was ambitious;
He hath brought and sold many players here at Portman Road
Whose transfer fees did the general coffers fill?
Did this in Evans seem ambitious?
When that the TWTD posters have cried, Evans hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
You all did see that in his interview
I thrice presented him many transfer targets,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Lambert spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
But relegation withholds you to mourn for him?
O Judgement! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Evans,
And I must pause till it come back to me.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2019 22:31]

Let slip the dogs of war.

Unlikely at Ipswich, to be honest.

(Slight recall of Joe Royle there too. Now that was an exciting time.)
How will the Evans era end? on 08:24 - Aug 9 with 2317 viewsthebooks

This is a good post, I think, pointing out not only the lack of investment (covering minimum costs isn't investment, incidentally), but the poor management of the club as a whole. Everything apart from the manager is done on the cheap.

It's funny that when Evans announced he was going to get more involved in the running of the club, we were promptly relegated and PL moaned about how long doing any transfer business took.

Where will it end? This season is key. I suspect our squad is still competitive in this league and we'll make the play-offs at the very least. But I really don't know enough about it to be sure.

If we don't we end up like Charlton. I guess eventually we'd get promoted simply because every team's time comes round at some point. But we'd be a League One team essentially, which is quite an achievement conesidering we were a top level Championship team when Evans took over.

Oh, and people will still be posting “thank you, Mr Evans” posts on here to standing ovations.
How will the Evans era end? on 08:28 - Aug 9 with 2312 viewschicoazul

How will the Evans era end? on 08:11 - Aug 9 by ElephantintheRoom

It will end one of two ways. The only hope is that the club goes belly up and can be re-born run by locals and supporters as a poor-man's Barcelona. This has worked for Cambridge, Luton and Portsmouth - so there is no reason that it couldn't work here, other than the apparent lack of commitment that was evident when Sheepy was trying to milk locals of 'high net worth'. The other way it can end is very visible at Bolton and Bury right now. In the meantime the decline will probably accelerate - leaving Coventry and Blackpool as the closest models we will follow.

I think Sheepy will come back in with a couple of backers like Bellingham & Michael Spencer and buy it. He'll probably make George DoF too, that'll be fun wont it!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How will the Evans era end? on 08:40 - Aug 9 with 2304 viewsFrankfurtBlue

How will the Evans era end? on 06:29 - Aug 9 by blueconscience

I predict it will end when we lose 4-1 at home in the local derby vs Cornard Dynamos.

At the time this occurs, a majority now realise that Evans is no good for the club and only a few still love and thank him on TWTD on a daily basis.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2019 6:37]

Very mischievous! Great to always keep a sense of humour in the face of adversity. That was a joke, right?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024