Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Evans should sell up' 14:13 - Aug 7 with 3772 viewsuefacup81

My two pence on this one...

I think I echo most of the more reasonable/realistic posters on here by asking just how many billionaires are looking to buy football clubs at the moment, and how many of those would be interested in buying a second/third tier provincial club.

My worry, if Marcus was to sell the club, is the kind of buyer he would be able to attract. Ken Anderson is likely to be in the market for a new club sometime soon, and then there are the various basket cases who tried and failed to buy Bolton.

I want someone in charge of the club who is going to drive it to be sustainable, and make sure that we have a club to support in 10-20 years time. Oh how Bolton and Bury must wish they'd had the boring stability of Evans at the helm...

I honestly think that if Evans was to actively try and sell the club, we'd be more likely to end up with a worse owner than equal or better. In fact, I reckon those odds would be 80:20 or worse. For me the ultimate priority is having a club, and if there were only two choices on offer, I'd much rather have us bumble around the Championship for the next five hundred years, than go bust in ten years time after having sp*nked all out money on winning the Champions League.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

'Evans should sell up' on 22:13 - Aug 7 with 515 views3_5_2

'Evans should sell up' on 14:29 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

"I want someone in charge of the club who is going to drive it to be sustainable, and make sure that we have a club to support in 10-20 years time"

What evidence do we have that Evans will do that? The club is drifting, it has been for years and the end result is more likely to be atrophy rather than sustainability. To what purpose is Evans chucking in a few million each year? Is it to make a return on his spending at some point, is it love of the club, is it he doesn't quite know what else to do with it? We don't know and we're completely beholden to one man at the moment - that's not sustainable even if he is merely a bit crap when it comes to football rather than malicious.

There are some welcome signs, the relaunch of the community trust the latest but the fact it was scrapped as a cost-cutting measure a few years back was incredibly short-sighted. Until the last couple of years the club showed little initiative in attracting new supporters and it's good this has changed but the sense remains that Evans has to be dragged into doing these things.

totally agree Steve, the issue of the community trust is one that really grinds my gears because basically it pays for itself if done correctly. We have the scum (and others clubs including Peterborough ffs) running centres in the town How many potential new fans / young players have we lost via this incredibly poor decision?

It will take a while for the community trust to get up and running and even longer for it to redress the damage done to the football club on so many levels

But at least someone (PL?) has recognised the need to have one again

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

'Evans should sell up' on 08:12 - Aug 8 with 476 viewsSteve_M

'Evans should sell up' on 22:13 - Aug 7 by 3_5_2

totally agree Steve, the issue of the community trust is one that really grinds my gears because basically it pays for itself if done correctly. We have the scum (and others clubs including Peterborough ffs) running centres in the town How many potential new fans / young players have we lost via this incredibly poor decision?

It will take a while for the community trust to get up and running and even longer for it to redress the damage done to the football club on so many levels

But at least someone (PL?) has recognised the need to have one again

Yes, a football club should be part of the community it resides in, especially so for those without access to the Premier League millions. Basic stuff but cut to save a few quid.

I think between them Lambert and O'Neill have done a lot of good things in a relatively short space of time to rebuild aspects of the club that were lacking.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

'Evans should sell up' on 08:25 - Aug 8 with 467 viewsBackToRussia

He's had over 5 years if not more to find a buyer. Your assessment only justifies his actions if he had a deadline on when to sell the club. As it is, he basically decided to stop funding the club at competitive levels after Jewells first season, so has had a long time to find someone.

As it is, he's just bumbled along chucking as little at it as possible so we don't get relegated. And then we got relegated.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

'Evans should sell up' on 08:57 - Aug 8 with 463 viewsPhilTWTD

'Evans should sell up' on 16:16 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

There is still a sense that the game has moved on from the people ME has trusted for advice at various times though - Redknapp, Woods, Pleat - even Barry Fry although his longevity in the game must mean something.

I think that is part of the reason so much remains concentrated with the first team manager and why it's gone so badly wrong here when that manager hasn't been MM or Lambert.

I think this idea that the manager runs the club is somewhat misguided. Mick, for example, didn't have much interest in anything other than the first team. He was the public face but it was far from like the Bobby Robson days where he did basically ran the club from top to bottom.

Lambert has involved himself in areas that Mick would never have been interested in and has sought to have wider influence across the club but it's still a long way from how things were under Robson.
'Evans should sell up' on 09:03 - Aug 8 with 451 viewsPJH

'Evans should sell up' on 08:57 - Aug 8 by PhilTWTD

I think this idea that the manager runs the club is somewhat misguided. Mick, for example, didn't have much interest in anything other than the first team. He was the public face but it was far from like the Bobby Robson days where he did basically ran the club from top to bottom.

Lambert has involved himself in areas that Mick would never have been interested in and has sought to have wider influence across the club but it's still a long way from how things were under Robson.

I am sure that that is right although running a football club now is more complex than it was for most of the Bobby Robson era.
For most of that time and before clubs were self sufficient with income coming in from gate receipts and transfers and clubs mostly living within their means.

I don't think even a Bobby Robson could run us or any other football club from top to bottom in this day and age in the way that he ran ITFC back then.
'Evans should sell up' on 09:06 - Aug 8 with 443 viewschicoazul

"boring stability"

Seriously? That's what you would call it?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

'Evans should sell up' on 09:07 - Aug 8 with 444 viewsPhilTWTD

'Evans should sell up' on 09:03 - Aug 8 by PJH

I am sure that that is right although running a football club now is more complex than it was for most of the Bobby Robson era.
For most of that time and before clubs were self sufficient with income coming in from gate receipts and transfers and clubs mostly living within their means.

I don't think even a Bobby Robson could run us or any other football club from top to bottom in this day and age in the way that he ran ITFC back then.

No, things have moved on very significantly. Managers don't deal with contract/transfer negotiations let alone anything further removed from the 'core' of their role, whereas Sir Bob chose the boardroom carpets and sold tickets if he happened to be in the ticket office.
"Being slightly better than Bolton" on 09:10 - Aug 8 with 431 viewsDyland

'Evans should sell up' on 16:29 - Aug 7 by braveblue

Unless you have a list of possible interested parties how can you make these assumptions and give 80:20 odds on a new owner being a problem?
The current guy is a total disaster. Being slightly better than Bolton is hardly a ringing endorsement.

arfarama

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024