Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We really should get promoted with this midfield: 10:40 - Jul 7 with 6231 viewsunstableblue

We’ve got Judge, Dozzell, Lankester, Huws, Downes, skuse, Bishop, Edwards, Nolan, El Miz, Rowe, Roberts

Best pre-season midfield squad for a while?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 17:56 - Jul 7 with 2311 viewsActionMan

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 10:54 - Jul 7 by Superblue95

It’s amazing how horribly unbalanced our squad is

Let's face it though... most of the squad should be good enough to win the division but we're playing with fire by not investing in filling those gaps.

If we went out and bought a decent centre half and we get hold of a great forward to play with Sears and Norwood then the league is ours, unfortunately the owner isn't coughing up anything significant.

People saying poor Marcus, oh we can't break FFP and all that, yeah QPR were really ruined when they broke it after being relegated! We're going to be down here a while until Evans has finally sold up I feel.
We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 18:14 - Jul 7 with 2277 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 15:40 - Jul 7 by strikalite

It's a decent group for League One, for me now we could just do with an experienced head at the back - think we all agree there, and another N'Daw will do too..

Prem loans haven't really started yet, when the big boys start signing then a couple of season loan jobs will strengthen us, nothing wrong with that, though we've all been crying out for these lads to be given their first team chance, so have faith, this is League One, they should be easily good enough now...they're not kids anymore.

I fully expect, contrary to Lambert’s previous claims, that we will see some loanees arrive towards the end of the window

I do think however that people will need to temper their expectations as to the quality of them - if they are from the PL then they will be very developmental player and more at the level of a Connor Grant than a Chalobah or Celina, or even a Quaner

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 18:21 - Jul 7 with 2282 views3_5_2

they will need to support Norwood who it seems will be our main striker, with goals because our defence will let a few in for sure

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 19:31 - Jul 7 with 2245 viewsVaughan8

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 10:50 - Jul 7 by SWGF

Sadly it's the misfiring attack and leaky defence that are the issue

This
We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 19:50 - Jul 7 with 2237 viewsghostofescobar

I think the quality of a squad is gauged by how many players are wanted by other clubs. Apart from Judge, I don't think many clubs (in our league or above us) would pay money for most of those.

My personal view is that our squad is weak and we will struggle next season. However I do think that the season after next, if we can get game time for a lot of our youngsters and keep them together, then season 2 in L1 looks promising. I desperately hope I am wrong, but I think those hoping for a storming season in our first year in L1 will be horribly disappointed. Mid table finish for me.

GhostOfEscobar

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 22:31 - Jul 7 with 2192 viewsunstableblue

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 11:13 - Jul 7 by christiand

Who would be your starters from that lot Unstableblue? It's a tough one trying to narrow that lot down and playing round pegs in round holes.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2019 11:21]

I still think this is our best current team:

––––––––––Bart
Donacien–-Chambo–Toto––Kenlock
––––-––––Downes
–––-–Bishop––––Nolan
–––––––-–Judge
–-Edwards
––––––––Norwood

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 22:55 - Jul 7 with 2181 viewsDinnernotTea

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 15:50 - Jul 7 by braveblue

Not many goals in there.

Supposed to be arrow up.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 23:00 - Jul 7 with 2178 viewsDinnernotTea

None of these footballers can tackle or are able to stop the opposition. They also aren't capable of getting close to 10+ goals for the season individually.

Unless we sign a horrible bstard to play CDM and 3 to replace our current back 4 we're going nowhere. Basically we're at least 4 first teamers short of a good team.

Login to get fewer ads

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 05:37 - Jul 8 with 2129 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 22:31 - Jul 7 by unstableblue

I still think this is our best current team:

––––––––––Bart
Donacien–-Chambo–Toto––Kenlock
––––-––––Downes
–––-–Bishop––––Nolan
–––––––-–Judge
–-Edwards
––––––––Norwood

No, it’s the following, in a 433:

Bialkowski
Emmanuel
Kenlock
Chambers
Nsiala
Skuse
Huws
Bishop
Edwards
Judge
Norwood

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 07:54 - Jul 8 with 2097 viewsPJH

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 05:37 - Jul 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No, it’s the following, in a 433:

Bialkowski
Emmanuel
Kenlock
Chambers
Nsiala
Skuse
Huws
Bishop
Edwards
Judge
Norwood

Lankester for Edwards and I think that that would be my team at the moment.
We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 08:11 - Jul 8 with 2076 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 07:54 - Jul 8 by PJH

Lankester for Edwards and I think that that would be my team at the moment.

I went Edwards given his experience and previous success in this division, but was close on those two. Similarly not a lot to choose between Emmanuel and Donacien - I’m not really convinced by either to be honest

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 08:18 - Jul 8 with 2073 viewsPJH

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 08:11 - Jul 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I went Edwards given his experience and previous success in this division, but was close on those two. Similarly not a lot to choose between Emmanuel and Donacien - I’m not really convinced by either to be honest

There is a bit of a problem about how to use Judge because if he is nominally left side but allowed to drift about that leaves the LB exposed but to use Judge properly I think he has to be allowed to drift about so on that basis he does not fit into a rigid 433 system.
We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 08:26 - Jul 8 with 2062 viewsunstableblue

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 23:00 - Jul 7 by DinnernotTea

None of these footballers can tackle or are able to stop the opposition. They also aren't capable of getting close to 10+ goals for the season individually.

Unless we sign a horrible bstard to play CDM and 3 to replace our current back 4 we're going nowhere. Basically we're at least 4 first teamers short of a good team.

But many on here would have it that Skuse is a brilliant defensive mid. Christ we’ve built a team around him for 5 seasons.

Are you telling me we’ve not had a complete midfield all this time?!

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 08:38 - Jul 8 with 2045 viewsHerbivore

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 11:31 - Jul 7 by Trequartista

That's the same midfield that finished bottom of the Championship.

We're not playing in the Championship next season. The sides that have finished bottom in the Championship the past 3 years have all finished top 6 the following season, with 2 of the 3 going straight back up. The exception was Sunderland who had to rebuild on and off the pitch last summer. People need to stop judging this squad by Championship standards, League 1 is a big drop off and we should be plenty good enough to be in the mix.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 09:31 - Jul 8 with 2024 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 08:26 - Jul 8 by unstableblue

But many on here would have it that Skuse is a brilliant defensive mid. Christ we’ve built a team around him for 5 seasons.

No, because we haven’t had the players to complement him in that time quite clearly. For a brief period in 2014/15 when Bishop had emerged and McGoldrick was in full flow dropping deep we looked one of the best teams in the Championship. Since then the two of them have hardly been fit and we’ve never had the same level of threat going forwards - however we did remain one of the better teams in the division defensively until last seasons debacle

Results have also been consistently better with Skuse in the team compared to when he isn’t during that period too:

Last year Skuse missed 11 games. In those games we picked up 0.54ppg, compared to 0.71ppg when he played

In 2017/18, Skuse missed 7 games. In those games we picked up 0.57ppg, compared to 1.44ppg when he played

In 2016/17, Skuse missed 6 games. We picked up 1.12ppg in those games, compared to 1.2ppg when he played

In 2015/16, Skuse again missed 7 games. We picked up 1.14ppg in those games, compared to 1.56ppg when he played

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 22:15 - Jul 8 with 1968 viewsDinnernotTea

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 08:26 - Jul 8 by unstableblue

He's dire. And along with his mate Chambers, sums up the Marcus Evans era to a tee.

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 22:27 - Jul 8 with 1961 viewsDarth_Koont

We really should get promoted with this midfield: on 09:31 - Jul 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No, because we haven’t had the players to complement him in that time quite clearly. For a brief period in 2014/15 when Bishop had emerged and McGoldrick was in full flow dropping deep we looked one of the best teams in the Championship. Since then the two of them have hardly been fit and we’ve never had the same level of threat going forwards - however we did remain one of the better teams in the division defensively until last seasons debacle

Results have also been consistently better with Skuse in the team compared to when he isn’t during that period too:

Last year Skuse missed 11 games. In those games we picked up 0.54ppg, compared to 0.71ppg when he played

In 2017/18, Skuse missed 7 games. In those games we picked up 0.57ppg, compared to 1.44ppg when he played

In 2016/17, Skuse missed 6 games. We picked up 1.12ppg in those games, compared to 1.2ppg when he played

In 2015/16, Skuse again missed 7 games. We picked up 1.14ppg in those games, compared to 1.56ppg when he played

Nice analysis!

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024