Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mayor chooses Plymouth... 14:59 - Jul 1 with 7890 viewsportmanking

12 month deal with option, according to their equivalent of TWTD.

Definitely does prefer to be a big fish in a small pond then.
But I currently think that we'll..... on 16:25 - Jul 1 with 2298 viewsBloots

There's two sides to every story.... on 16:23 - Jul 1 by Herbivore

I'd currently place you at one pole. At the opposite pole are those who inexplicably think Lambert has done a great job and we're certs to go up. Most of us are somewhere in between.

....finish around mid table next season.

That may change depending on whether we weaken the squad or strengthen it.

Obviously.

So I'm totally not at either pole.

Simple really.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

The criticism of Evans does not.... on 16:27 - Jul 1 with 2292 viewsBloots

Two questions then.... on 16:25 - Jul 1 by SouperJim

I'll see your Danny Mayor and raise you an Alan Judge.

Yes, our overall ambition is a concern and Evans should rightly be questioned. But yet again the criticism from some quarters lacks perspective. The fact that a league two journeyman, who we don't know we actually wanted to sign after meeting him, has signed for a club in the division below is not a sensible reason to get the pitchforks out.

....lack perspective.

We are in the 3rd Division.

That is the perspective.

Whether we'd have signed whatshisface or not doesn't change that.

But I currently think that we'll..... on 16:31 - Jul 1 with 2266 viewsHerbivore

But I currently think that we'll..... on 16:25 - Jul 1 by Bloots

....finish around mid table next season.

That may change depending on whether we weaken the squad or strengthen it.

Obviously.

So I'm totally not at either pole.

Simple really.

I'd say that places you at the overly pessimistic pole personally. 5 of the last 6 relegated sides have finished top 6 the following season, the other finished 9th. Midtable would represent a poor season for any side relegated from the Championship. That you are predicting a poor season suggests pessimism.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:33 - Jul 1 with 2254 viewsportmanpensioner

Signed for his old manager
The criticism of Evans does not.... on 16:34 - Jul 1 with 2244 viewsSouperJim

The criticism of Evans does not.... on 16:27 - Jul 1 by Bloots

....lack perspective.

We are in the 3rd Division.

That is the perspective.

Whether we'd have signed whatshisface or not doesn't change that.

This is a flounce thread about Mayor signing for Plymouth. On that basis, criticising Evans lacks perspective as per my previous post.

Yes, Evans should rightly be criticised for the position we find ourselves in, which is as a direct result of his largely disastrous managerial appointments, short sighted approach to retaining players, etc.

This does not mean that every ITFC related-event which is not 100% positive and beyond scrutiny should be the subject of convoluted reasoning for why Evans is the root of all evil. A little balance is helpful.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

My initial input to this thread..... on 16:42 - Jul 1 with 2217 viewsBloots

The criticism of Evans does not.... on 16:34 - Jul 1 by SouperJim

This is a flounce thread about Mayor signing for Plymouth. On that basis, criticising Evans lacks perspective as per my previous post.

Yes, Evans should rightly be criticised for the position we find ourselves in, which is as a direct result of his largely disastrous managerial appointments, short sighted approach to retaining players, etc.

This does not mean that every ITFC related-event which is not 100% positive and beyond scrutiny should be the subject of convoluted reasoning for why Evans is the root of all evil. A little balance is helpful.

...was in response to an assumption that we hadn't offered him a deal at all, or that we'd backed out or that he'd chosen a worse deal, and therefore we'd dodged a bullet.

I simply said this may not be the case and asked for a little balance.

You brought up the owners ambition, not me.

Just saying.

My initial input to this thread..... on 16:55 - Jul 1 with 2188 viewsSouperJim

My initial input to this thread..... on 16:42 - Jul 1 by Bloots

...was in response to an assumption that we hadn't offered him a deal at all, or that we'd backed out or that he'd chosen a worse deal, and therefore we'd dodged a bullet.

I simply said this may not be the case and asked for a little balance.

You brought up the owners ambition, not me.

Just saying.

Actually portmanking brought it up, but since Phil poured cold water on his assumptions he's resorted to just downvoting all of my posts and upvoting all of yours rather than defend himself.

Fwiw, I don't think our opinions are a million miles apart.

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:55 - Jul 1 with 2188 viewsROKERITE

There's one major factor that would surely have played a pivotal role in his decision. He knows well, has worked with for several seasons and likes Ryan Lowe. It's a major signing for Plymouth who struggle with their geography in attracting players.
Login to get fewer ads

My initial input to this thread..... on 17:02 - Jul 1 with 2176 viewsportmanking

My initial input to this thread..... on 16:55 - Jul 1 by SouperJim

Actually portmanking brought it up, but since Phil poured cold water on his assumptions he's resorted to just downvoting all of my posts and upvoting all of yours rather than defend himself.

Fwiw, I don't think our opinions are a million miles apart.

I said nothing of the sort about the owners' ambition. You put those words into my mouth.
Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 18:10 - Jul 1 with 2097 viewsTrequartista

Oh dear, disappointing to lose out to a League Two club, and I don't think the old remote location (1 hour from London) excuse will wash this time considering where Plymouth is. After a good start signing Norwood, we seem have to hit the buffers for now.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 18:12 - Jul 1 with 2091 viewsTrequartista

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:33 - Jul 1 by portmanpensioner

Signed for his old manager

Let's sign Hélder Costa then.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 18:15 - Jul 1 with 2088 viewsKeaneish

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:00 - Jul 1 by Steve_M

That was careless if we didn't show him the training ground.....
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 16:17]

Probably met for a coffee in the Buttermarket first to get him warmed up to the location before the big reveal.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

That's quite a "blue tinted" way.... on 19:32 - Jul 1 with 2008 viewsKeaneish

That's quite a "blue tinted" way.... on 15:41 - Jul 1 by Bloots

....of looking at things.

It's entirely feasible that we offered him less than Plymouth did. It's common knowledge that we've made some derisory offers to players in the past.

It's also entirely feasible that he was more impressed with the set up at Plymouth than he was with us.

Your assumptions are very one sided.

As are yours but they are assumptions none-the-less. I think we can safely say that Plymouth's set up isn't anywhere near what ours is. Wages wise, maybe they did offer more, yes but to Herb's point, if you take higher money to play in a lower league, it still smacks of a lack of ambition. He could sign for us on a lower wage and negotiate a wage increase on promotion clawing back what he'd lost this season if money were a factor.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 20:10 - Jul 1 with 1965 viewsjas0999

I very much doubt our interest was that serious. Couldn’t have been. Yes, he has connections to Plymouth’s manager - but financial package and club facilities must surely have been better at Town. Suggests we didn’t make an offer or if we didn’t, couldn’t have been a competitive one.
My initial input to this thread..... on 20:22 - Jul 1 with 1950 viewsSouperJim

My initial input to this thread..... on 17:02 - Jul 1 by portmanking

I said nothing of the sort about the owners' ambition. You put those words into my mouth.

"If Plymouth have more ambition than us, season ticket holders have been sold a pup then.".

My initial input to this thread..... on 20:34 - Jul 1 with 1931 viewsportmanking

My initial input to this thread..... on 20:22 - Jul 1 by SouperJim

"If Plymouth have more ambition than us, season ticket holders have been sold a pup then.".

Yes, it was a comment to Bloots rather than a statement that Evans lacks ambition. If you can't tell the difference, there's no hope for you.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 20:34]
Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 20:36 - Jul 1 with 1921 viewsagentp

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:18 - Jul 1 by portmanking

Why on earth would you travel the other side of the country without there being concrete interest?

Happens all the time. The UK isn't that big and most players usually want to talk in person and explore the area before signing. There was probably interest - agent stimulated perhaps, but it obviously wasn't concrete.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

My initial input to this thread..... on 20:46 - Jul 1 with 1900 viewsSouperJim

My initial input to this thread..... on 20:34 - Jul 1 by portmanking

Yes, it was a comment to Bloots rather than a statement that Evans lacks ambition. If you can't tell the difference, there's no hope for you.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 20:34]

I didn't say it was a statement, you and Bloots raised the question of our ambition in relation to Mayor, not me. Bloots asked me if I felt the club lacks ambition, again, with reference to the subject matter of this thread, I pointed to us signing Judge.

I'm not sure what is so confusing about that, it's here in the thread in black and white. You seem to be looking for personal criticism where there is none.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 20:48]

My initial input to this thread..... on 20:52 - Jul 1 with 1887 viewsportmanking

My initial input to this thread..... on 20:46 - Jul 1 by SouperJim

I didn't say it was a statement, you and Bloots raised the question of our ambition in relation to Mayor, not me. Bloots asked me if I felt the club lacks ambition, again, with reference to the subject matter of this thread, I pointed to us signing Judge.

I'm not sure what is so confusing about that, it's here in the thread in black and white. You seem to be looking for personal criticism where there is none.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 20:48]

"He's just about to make the lunacy leap to it all being Evans fault and us poor season ticket holders are being lied to, so I think you've got it right."

I'm talking about this "lunacy leap" that you made yourself, not me.
My initial input to this thread..... on 22:14 - Jul 1 with 1821 viewsSouperJim

My initial input to this thread..... on 20:52 - Jul 1 by portmanking

"He's just about to make the lunacy leap to it all being Evans fault and us poor season ticket holders are being lied to, so I think you've got it right."

I'm talking about this "lunacy leap" that you made yourself, not me.

You seem to like to leap around everything which has been posted and change your mind about what you're addressing to suit. It's quite tiresome.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024