Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mayor chooses Plymouth... 14:59 - Jul 1 with 7889 viewsportmanking

12 month deal with option, according to their equivalent of TWTD.

Definitely does prefer to be a big fish in a small pond then.
That's quite a "blue tinted" way.... on 15:41 - Jul 1 with 1280 viewsBloots

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:02 - Jul 1 by Herbivore

I can only assume that either (a) our interest never got as far as offering him a deal and we decided to move on or (b) he chose to join a club a division below us who will undoubtedly being paying him less. If it's option (b) we've dodged a bullet as it shows something of a lack of ambition. If it's option (a) then perhaps ultimately we felt he wasn't what we needed.

....of looking at things.

It's entirely feasible that we offered him less than Plymouth did. It's common knowledge that we've made some derisory offers to players in the past.

It's also entirely feasible that he was more impressed with the set up at Plymouth than he was with us.

Your assumptions are very one sided.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

That's quite a on 15:42 - Jul 1 with 1265 viewsportmanking

That's quite a "blue tinted" way.... on 15:41 - Jul 1 by Bloots

It's entirely feasible that we offered him less than Plymouth did. It's common knowledge that we've made some derisory offers to players in the past.

It's also entirely feasible that he was more impressed with the set up at Plymouth than he was with us.

That's pretty much what I'm getting at. Either there's a complete lack of ambition in Mayor or Town's offer/package was poor.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 15:43]
Not sure you can definitely call it.... on 15:45 - Jul 1 with 1246 viewsBloots

That's quite a on 15:42 - Jul 1 by portmanking

That's pretty much what I'm getting at. Either there's a complete lack of ambition in Mayor or Town's offer/package was poor.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 15:43]

....a lack of ambition.

He's been to both clubs, he's spoken to both managers, I expect he's spoken to both owners.

Maybe he thought Plymouth had more ambition than us?

People need to realise the position we are in.

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:45 - Jul 1 with 1244 viewsSouperJim

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:35 - Jul 1 by portmanking

So it's alright for you to say that we "decided we weren't interested" even though there's no proof of that, but it's not okay for me to suggest the club had offered him terms?

I said "maybe we didn't table an offer".

You said "of course we tabled an offer, he'd rather have his ego massaged, he has a complete lack of ambition".

One is speculation, the other is a statement. If you can't see the difference between the two, there's no hope for you.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Not sure you can definitely call it.... on 15:46 - Jul 1 with 1240 viewsportmanking

Not sure you can definitely call it.... on 15:45 - Jul 1 by Bloots

....a lack of ambition.

He's been to both clubs, he's spoken to both managers, I expect he's spoken to both owners.

Maybe he thought Plymouth had more ambition than us?

People need to realise the position we are in.

If Plymouth have more ambition than us, season ticket holders have been sold a pup then.
Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:47 - Jul 1 with 1235 viewsSpruceMoose

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:45 - Jul 1 by SouperJim

I said "maybe we didn't table an offer".

You said "of course we tabled an offer, he'd rather have his ego massaged, he has a complete lack of ambition".

One is speculation, the other is a statement. If you can't see the difference between the two, there's no hope for you.

I feel happy to jump to the part where we decide there's no hope for him and avoid the next 6 pages where we argue it out.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:48 - Jul 1 with 1225 viewsportmanking

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:47 - Jul 1 by SpruceMoose

I feel happy to jump to the part where we decide there's no hope for him and avoid the next 6 pages where we argue it out.

Condescending mother trucka...
Who'd have imagined that? (n/t) on 15:48 - Jul 1 with 1217 viewsBloots

Not sure you can definitely call it.... on 15:46 - Jul 1 by portmanking

If Plymouth have more ambition than us, season ticket holders have been sold a pup then.

Login to get fewer ads

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:50 - Jul 1 with 1202 viewsSouperJim

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:47 - Jul 1 by SpruceMoose

He's just about to make the lunacy leap to it all being Evans fault and us poor season ticket holders are being lied to, so I think you've got it right.

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:51 - Jul 1 with 1199 viewsSpruceMoose

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:48 - Jul 1 by portmanking

Condescending mother trucka...

Just trying to save us all a bit of time!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:51 - Jul 1 with 1213 viewsPhilTWTD

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:02 - Jul 1 by Herbivore

I can only assume that either (a) our interest never got as far as offering him a deal and we decided to move on or (b) he chose to join a club a division below us who will undoubtedly being paying him less. If it's option (b) we've dodged a bullet as it shows something of a lack of ambition. If it's option (a) then perhaps ultimately we felt he wasn't what we needed.

I'm told he wasn't here for very long on Thursday, don't think he even visited the training ground, so I wonder whether he had already made up his mind after visiting Plymouth the previous day and was just waiting for his Bury contract to end before confirming he was joining them.

If we offered him a contract, which I'm not sure we did, then it's unlikely to have been beaten by whatever was on the table at Plymouth.
That's quite a "blue tinted" way.... on 15:53 - Jul 1 with 1183 viewschicoazul

Pretty sure we offered that Colchester defender with the double barrelled surname less than what Colchester offered him last summer.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

That's quite a "blue tinted" way.... on 16:00 - Jul 1 with 1139 viewsHerbivore

Your perspective has become tinted by whatever is the opposite of being blue-tinted of late, though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:00 - Jul 1 with 1146 viewsSteve_M

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:51 - Jul 1 by PhilTWTD

I'm told he wasn't here for very long on Thursday, don't think he even visited the training ground, so I wonder whether he had already made up his mind after visiting Plymouth the previous day and was just waiting for his Bury contract to end before confirming he was joining them.

If we offered him a contract, which I'm not sure we did, then it's unlikely to have been beaten by whatever was on the table at Plymouth.

That was careless if we didn't show him the training ground.....
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 16:17]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:02 - Jul 1 with 1146 viewsPhilTWTD

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:00 - Jul 1 by Steve_M

That was careless if we didn't show him the training ground.....
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 16:17]

Was just thinking that given it's single-handedly secured so many signings in the past.

This post has been edited by an administrator
That's quite a "blue tinted" way.... on 16:03 - Jul 1 with 1125 viewsPhilTWTD

That's quite a "blue tinted" way.... on 15:53 - Jul 1 by chicoazul

Pretty sure we offered that Colchester defender with the double barrelled surname less than what Colchester offered him last summer.

Kane Vincent-Young. He wasn't offered a contract here.
Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:04 - Jul 1 with 1119 viewsPhilTWTD

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 15:15 - Jul 1 by portmanking

There's no way he and his wife would travel the other side of the country without a concrete contract offer on the table. Otherwise all the talking could simply happen over the phone and via agents...

Don't think it's uncommon for players to come to clubs to have a chat with the manager and a look around without terms having been offered.
There's two sides to every story.... on 16:06 - Jul 1 with 1108 viewsBloots

That's quite a "blue tinted" way.... on 16:00 - Jul 1 by Herbivore

Your perspective has become tinted by whatever is the opposite of being blue-tinted of late, though.

....but few people on here can ever consider that.

I just don't think I'm as polarised as most.

The club has been at best stagnating for 10 years, but it's currently falling of a very high cliff.

We need to open the parachute pretty quickly, but I'm not sure if Daddy will give us the money to buy one that hasn't got holes in it.

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:06 - Jul 1 with 1108 viewsSouperJim

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:04 - Jul 1 by PhilTWTD

Don't think it's uncommon for players to come to clubs to have a chat with the manager and a look around without terms having been offered.

Let's have none of that kind of informed talk here Phil, we've got hats to eat and owners to blame for lack of ambition.

Two questions then.... on 16:08 - Jul 1 with 1098 viewsBloots

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:06 - Jul 1 by SouperJim

Let's have none of that kind of informed talk here Phil, we've got hats to eat and owners to blame for lack of ambition.

....1. Do you think the club lacks ambition?

If yes, then 2. Who's at fault for that?

If no, then 2. Why are we in Division 3?
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 16:09]

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:14 - Jul 1 with 1074 viewsSWGF

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:02 - Jul 1 by PhilTWTD

Was just thinking that given it's single-handedly secured so many signings in the past.

If he didn't visit the training ground, can he ever be classed as being "in the building"? Is "the building" a specific building or a more generic term for a group of buildings as one entity which can encapsulate Ipswich Town?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Two questions then.... on 16:18 - Jul 1 with 1063 viewsGuthrum

Two questions then.... on 16:08 - Jul 1 by Bloots

Ambition needs to be matched with the means to achieve it.

Other than the squad-damaging policy of selling our best players, the only other source for the latter is Evans putting in his own money, when he already has provided vast sums (around £70m). That's assuming he actually has that much spare cash. And notwithstanding restrictions like FFP.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:19 - Jul 1 with 1058 viewsFixed_It

Mayor chooses Plymouth... on 16:02 - Jul 1 by PhilTWTD

If he had signed for us he would have had to lie about being impressed by the training facilities. I don't like people who tell lies.
Narrow escape methinks.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

There's two sides to every story.... on 16:23 - Jul 1 with 1042 viewsHerbivore

There's two sides to every story.... on 16:06 - Jul 1 by Bloots

....but few people on here can ever consider that.

I just don't think I'm as polarised as most.

The club has been at best stagnating for 10 years, but it's currently falling of a very high cliff.

We need to open the parachute pretty quickly, but I'm not sure if Daddy will give us the money to buy one that hasn't got holes in it.

I'd currently place you at one pole. At the opposite pole are those who inexplicably think Lambert has done a great job and we're certs to go up. Most of us are somewhere in between.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Two questions then.... on 16:25 - Jul 1 with 1032 viewsSouperJim

Two questions then.... on 16:08 - Jul 1 by Bloots

I'll see your Danny Mayor and raise you an Alan Judge.

Yes, our overall ambition is a concern and Evans should rightly be questioned. But yet again the criticism from some quarters lacks perspective. The fact that a league two journeyman, who we don't know we actually wanted to sign after meeting him, has signed for a club in the division below is not a sensible reason to get the pitchforks out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024