Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
interesting article about lowestoft 12:34 - Jun 5 with 5383 viewslowhouseblue

should anyone be interested.

https://unherd.com/2019/06/the-town-that-should-shame-our-politicians/

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

interesting article about lowestoft on 18:43 - Jun 5 with 2059 viewsJimmyJazz

interesting article about lowestoft on 17:22 - Jun 5 by footers

Well, Pleasurewood Hills is closer to Lowie than Yarmouth.

And my man, please, please never say Lowestoft is in Yarmouth's shadow when it's clearly the other way round!

I was wondering whether Pleasurewood Hills, Oulton Broad and Yarmouth are / have taken tourists away from Lowestoft.

If anyone had an opportunity to reinvest in Lowestoft and wondered where to start, then attracting tourists to those white beaches would surely be a good place to start

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

interesting article about lowestoft on 20:08 - Jun 5 with 2037 viewsWeWereZombies

interesting article about lowestoft on 12:39 - Jun 5 by footers

Nice one, lowhouse.

My beautiful hometown :) But sadly one only a mother could love.

I shall peruse at lunchtime, although I see "It's sh1t" is the opening gambit!

And the second paragraph has the 'sleepy Suffolk' fallback of lazy journalists too.

I have stayed in Lowestoft a couple of times in the last two years (been researching something at the Maritime Museum etc.) and nice B&Bs both times. The area around the Crows Nest is very leafy and pleasant, I even checked out property prices the second time. The town centre is less appealing, but as others have said that is true of almost all town centres these days. I did find the attitudes of some people in shops a bit odd after the cheeriness and conviviality of most places I go to in Scotland (and a fair few in England too), a nervousness and desperation evident and I was not surprised given the reputation the town has but just a little way beyond the centre to the north is another world. And where else has Ness Point?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

interesting article about lowestoft on 20:17 - Jun 5 with 2035 viewsfooters

interesting article about lowestoft on 20:08 - Jun 5 by WeWereZombies

And the second paragraph has the 'sleepy Suffolk' fallback of lazy journalists too.

I have stayed in Lowestoft a couple of times in the last two years (been researching something at the Maritime Museum etc.) and nice B&Bs both times. The area around the Crows Nest is very leafy and pleasant, I even checked out property prices the second time. The town centre is less appealing, but as others have said that is true of almost all town centres these days. I did find the attitudes of some people in shops a bit odd after the cheeriness and conviviality of most places I go to in Scotland (and a fair few in England too), a nervousness and desperation evident and I was not surprised given the reputation the town has but just a little way beyond the centre to the north is another world. And where else has Ness Point?

You can bunk up in my mum's spare room next time you're there. Or maybe more?

Board is free but cooked breakfast is £3.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

interesting article about lowestoft on 20:24 - Jun 5 with 2032 viewswkj

I have my tinder programmed to instantly swipe left when a lowestoft lad pops up, never again

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

interesting article about lowestoft on 20:26 - Jun 5 with 2030 viewsWeWereZombies

interesting article about lowestoft on 20:17 - Jun 5 by footers

You can bunk up in my mum's spare room next time you're there. Or maybe more?

Board is free but cooked breakfast is £3.

Sounds very reasonable.

Photo?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

interesting article about lowestoft on 20:27 - Jun 5 with 2032 viewsDebsyAngel

Blimey, we were meant to be going there for a day out the Saturday after this. Not going to be that good then!
interesting article about lowestoft on 20:33 - Jun 5 with 2023 viewsfooters

interesting article about lowestoft on 20:26 - Jun 5 by WeWereZombies

Sounds very reasonable.

Photo?

49. 16C.

Unfortunately you are probably too exciting for her. She just likes her wine and telly story programmes nowadays.

interesting article about lowestoft on 20:46 - Jun 5 with 2008 viewsjimmyvet

interesting article about lowestoft on 18:05 - Jun 5 by dirtyboy

It's frustrating as a resident of Lowestoft to read such depressing articles.

There are swathes of people who blame all of their woes on the loss of the fishing industry, and they're right to a degree, but thousands have moved into Oil & Gas/Renewables, it means a little bit of travelling onto rigs (not dissimilar to fishermen, but ultimately, the wages to be had are not insignificant and tend to be notably higher than your average London wage.

It's those negative types who will always be stuck, rather than adapt and overcome, they simply bemoan their bad luck/politicians (delete as applicable). People like that exist everywhere, but we have an abundance.

Lowestoft town centre is no different to any generic town centre, boring and uninviting, it's not alone, it's just...well... isolated.

Walk 10 minutes from the 'spoons and you're on the already mentioned white beaches, which are quite frankly as good as anywhere on a nice hot day.

If you like being active, then the ParkRun is well attended. Hundreds of miles of country roads surround the town for keen cyclists. Oulton Broad provides Sailing, Powerboating for the spectators, Paddleboarding etc.

There are jobs, plenty, it's just not those labour intensive semi-skilled ones that used to be in abundance and the generations haven't adapted quick enough.

Evolution will kick in eventually. Who doesn't want to live by the sea?

Well said I don’t recognise that article at all. Certain parts of the town of course are run down like any where in the uk. The town has low crime high employment fantastic beaches start of the broads wind gas potentially sizewell c it’s a great place not perfect but when I travel the globe heading back to sleepy suffolk is great.

Corton Gunton OB Pakefield are fantastic places.

And to add to Footers on the GY point really..... GY is a dump full of Yarcos and not a touch on costa del Lowestoft!!!
Login to get fewer ads

interesting article about lowestoft on 21:39 - Jun 5 with 1976 viewsbournemouthblue

My girlfriend lives there and it isn't any more horrendous than a lot of other places.

It deserves better infrastructure linking to it, it seems crazy we don't have a dual carriageway all the way there given it's Suffolk's second biggest Town.

There's talk of a bypass around Marlesford, Glemham, Farnham and Stratford St Andrew which is much needed but currently being argued whether this should even be Dual Carriage

Much like our Northern Bypass, they've been wanting another bridge across their River to relieve traffic for the last 30 years or so, I believe they are due to be getting it in the next couple of years?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

interesting article about lowestoft on 21:44 - Jun 5 with 1969 viewsfooters

interesting article about lowestoft on 21:39 - Jun 5 by bournemouthblue

My girlfriend lives there and it isn't any more horrendous than a lot of other places.

It deserves better infrastructure linking to it, it seems crazy we don't have a dual carriageway all the way there given it's Suffolk's second biggest Town.

There's talk of a bypass around Marlesford, Glemham, Farnham and Stratford St Andrew which is much needed but currently being argued whether this should even be Dual Carriage

Much like our Northern Bypass, they've been wanting another bridge across their River to relieve traffic for the last 30 years or so, I believe they are due to be getting it in the next couple of years?

The second bridge? It'll be underwater by then, buh!

interesting article about lowestoft on 21:52 - Jun 5 with 1961 viewsBent_double

interesting article about lowestoft on 18:43 - Jun 5 by JimmyJazz

I was wondering whether Pleasurewood Hills, Oulton Broad and Yarmouth are / have taken tourists away from Lowestoft.

If anyone had an opportunity to reinvest in Lowestoft and wondered where to start, then attracting tourists to those white beaches would surely be a good place to start

We looked at buying a B&B/hotel in Lowestoft (nice one in the Pakefield part), but decided against it because we weren't convinced there would be much tourist trade there.

Bought in Yarmouth instead, and have always been busy, and we get people who are visiting/working in Lowestoft but still prefer to stay in Yarmouth. Just taken a booking tonight for a couple next week who are coming for the powerboat racing on Oulton Broad, yet they stay here, not in Lowestoft.

Yarmouth sure ain't perfect, but it's still got more going for it than Lowestoft.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

interesting article about lowestoft on 22:28 - Jun 5 with 1924 viewsStokieBlue

interesting article about lowestoft on 17:40 - Jun 5 by Guthrum

Business tax.

After all, they are being relieved of the burden of having to pay such high wages to what human staff they still use.

That could work, it could also drive the companies out of the country to a lower tax rate jurisdiction which might result in even less money.

I like the concept of UBI - it's paying for it that's tricky.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

interesting article about lowestoft on 10:21 - Jun 6 with 1843 viewsNo9

interesting article about lowestoft on 18:14 - Jun 5 by footers

Problem is mate that in 50 years' time Beccles will be the seaside town!

But you're right about Oulton Broad and the surrounding area. My mum still loves it and most of my family are still there, though many do worry about job opportunities. Most of the older crew have had their jobs for 20, 30 years, usually at the same company, but they know it could be hard to find similar work if the places shut down (rumours are Hoseason is, which is where me ma works). All the young'uns have moved away, mainly to Norwich.

There is also a problem in other councils sending less desirable peeps to Lowestoft and Yarmouth, amongst other places.

In fact, one of my old landlords wanted me to help him find somewhere to buy in Lowestoft (biggish block of flats) just to skim the DSS housing money from it. Worrying times.

IN Beccles Salt Market there is a House which in the 13th C was a Fishermans chapel.
Go to Bungay to get a new bottom is a saying that comes from the fishing fleets.

The coast has chnaged dramatically - circa Gt Yarmouth silted up cutting off Norwich from the sea this must have comesome time before or after the Normans built up Norwich Castle & Cathedral.
interesting article about lowestoft on 10:30 - Jun 6 with 1840 viewsNo9

interesting article about lowestoft on 14:38 - Jun 5 by Meadowlark

The workers when I grew up in Lowestoft were far from "unskilled." There was a lively ship-building industry that employed boilermakers, platers, welders etc. The coachworks had motor vehicle fitters, upholsterers and the like and the TV factory employed electronic technicians and electronic engineers. There were also net-makers, (one of which survives today making goal nets) a pram factory and a multitude of minor concerns all looking after these major industries.
And there were also two huge food canning plants and at least one other frozen food factory in addition to Birdseye.
There was a massive timber import yard on the quayside which is now a vast untapped resource and a grain export silo on the opposite bank (which is probably still in operation).
The above doesn't even include fishing or agriculture which were both also major players or tourism which attracted a huge influx of visitors in the summer months.
After all of these disappeared there have been minor upswings, with first N.Sea gas and more recently wind-power, but many of the jobs created by these industries are taken up by outsiders with the necessary skills, because, as you rightly point out these new skills are missing from the local workforce.
Lowestoft is my home town and if I stand back and and take a look, it is sadly a shadow of its former self in the 1960s when it was a bustling and thriving community that prided itself on its manufacturing, marine and farming heritage.
But take away all of these industries from any town, especially one with such bad transport links, traffic chaos and miles from anywhere and you begin to understand......

In the late 50's Harry Dowsett who then owned Brooke Marine & a large civil engineering Co (DowMac) offered to build a thir crossing so that he could build bigger ships. It got snubbed by the government.
He repeated the offer in the late 60's when he got a large government contract to build ships for the US navy(to offset the cost of the F111) the governemnt accepted and work to change the A12 started. The golf club moved to accommodate Bloodmoor Rd with land on hold to build a new crossing near the then Coop Canning factory now a roundabout near Lings. It was a long time before things got moving again - Brookes went as did Richards. Zephy cams was the place to go to get performance camshafts. etc. etc. etc.

The whole thing is a tale of woe & lost opportunity
interesting article about lowestoft on 16:32 - Jun 14 with 1757 viewsMeadowlark

interesting article about lowestoft on 10:30 - Jun 6 by No9

In the late 50's Harry Dowsett who then owned Brooke Marine & a large civil engineering Co (DowMac) offered to build a thir crossing so that he could build bigger ships. It got snubbed by the government.
He repeated the offer in the late 60's when he got a large government contract to build ships for the US navy(to offset the cost of the F111) the governemnt accepted and work to change the A12 started. The golf club moved to accommodate Bloodmoor Rd with land on hold to build a new crossing near the then Coop Canning factory now a roundabout near Lings. It was a long time before things got moving again - Brookes went as did Richards. Zephy cams was the place to go to get performance camshafts. etc. etc. etc.

The whole thing is a tale of woe & lost opportunity

Yes indeed. And ironically the new council offices are on the land originally earmarked for the bridge approach road.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024