Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Honestly what is the matter with people 23:53 - May 26 with 6268 viewsreusersfreekicks

Nearly a third of voters going for a liar and charlatan and to make the country poorer.
People are idiotic. Is democracy the best way?
[Post edited 27 May 2019 0:53]
Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:11 - May 27 with 870 viewsOxford_Blue

Honestly what is the matter with people on 18:50 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

And yet the deal May negotiated would have taken us out of the customs union, but was rejected by (amongst others) the hard Brexiteers.

Why is her deal so bad?

But you see it wouldn’t have taken us out of the customs union - that was the point.

By keeping Northern Ireland in the customs union (to avoid a hard border and risk the Good Friday Agreement), the rest of Britain in May’s deal had to also remain in the customs union - not least because otherwise there was a real risk of Britain disintegrating (as the Scots Nats would call for separate provisions too).

The long stop (ie Britain’s ability to leave this customs union) was - even on the government’s own legal advice - not an agreement Britain could get out of without the consent of the EU, barring any act of bad faith on the EU’s part which would be very difficult to prove.

Hence Britain would be tied to the customs union indefinitely, without the legal right to choose to end this, and without the legal right to make unilateral trade deals, plus we would have to pay £39bn for the privilege and have zero say on how the EU was run.

It was arguably the worst treaty any prime minister had proposed. This is why it was rejected three times, even by members of May’s own party and why she will be leaving office.
Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:18 - May 27 with 860 viewsOxford_Blue

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:11 - May 27 by HARRY10

Only one slight flaw,

The Parliament that triggered Art 50 is not the Parliament that is now.

So if you want to spout constitutional 'law' then perhaps it might be an idea to check your facts first.

But that argument doesn’t help you because (1) 80% of the electorate voted for parties which in the current parliament promised to leave the EU, including the government, which also promised to leave the customs union and that no deal was better than a bad deal; and (2) at no point has the current Parliament revoked Article 50.
Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:28 - May 27 with 849 viewsSpruceMoose

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:18 - May 27 by Oxford_Blue

But that argument doesn’t help you because (1) 80% of the electorate voted for parties which in the current parliament promised to leave the EU, including the government, which also promised to leave the customs union and that no deal was better than a bad deal; and (2) at no point has the current Parliament revoked Article 50.

Tired argument. People vote for many different reasons. You don't get to define what they voted for as if it was some kind of fact.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:29 - May 27 with 848 viewsHARRY10

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:18 - May 27 by Oxford_Blue

MPs are not delegates therefore they are free to vote as they see best.

The government was lead by a PM who also said 'no snap election'.

And your final comment merely underpins the point that it is Parliament who decide, rather than are instructed.
Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:32 - May 27 with 845 viewsOxford_Blue

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:28 - May 27 by SpruceMoose

Tired argument. People vote for many different reasons. You don't get to define what they voted for as if it was some kind of fact.

The argument to which I was responding was that as the current parliament didn’t trigger Article 50, it wasn’t bound by it.

The reason this is important is because triggering Article 50 gives Parliamentary endorsement of the referendum decision.

My point isn’t tired. It’s just fact. The current Parliament has not revoked Article 50, therefore it also endorses the referendum result.

The parties which won 80% of the vote did so on a clear platform
of leaving he EU.

Both they and Parliament as a whole have failed to deliver what they promised to do and what they have endorsed by not revoking Article 50.

Neither the Tories nor Labour are advocating remain.
Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:35 - May 27 with 839 viewsOxford_Blue

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:29 - May 27 by HARRY10

MPs are not delegates therefore they are free to vote as they see best.

The government was lead by a PM who also said 'no snap election'.

And your final comment merely underpins the point that it is Parliament who decide, rather than are instructed.

Exactly - Parliament do decide and they have decided to trigger Article 50 which means that they (or rather the 498 MPs who voted for it) endorsed the referendum result. As I said, the current Parliament hasn’t revoked Article 50, so it also endorses the referendum. Neither Labour nor the Tories’ official position is to remain and both parties promised the electorate that they would leave the EU/honour the referendum result.
[Post edited 27 May 2019 22:35]
Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:39 - May 27 with 832 viewsSpruceMoose

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:32 - May 27 by Oxford_Blue

The argument to which I was responding was that as the current parliament didn’t trigger Article 50, it wasn’t bound by it.

The reason this is important is because triggering Article 50 gives Parliamentary endorsement of the referendum decision.

My point isn’t tired. It’s just fact. The current Parliament has not revoked Article 50, therefore it also endorses the referendum result.

The parties which won 80% of the vote did so on a clear platform
of leaving he EU.

Both they and Parliament as a whole have failed to deliver what they promised to do and what they have endorsed by not revoking Article 50.

Neither the Tories nor Labour are advocating remain.

You're just repeating yourself now rather than countering.

I'm off. Enjoy your evening

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:48 - May 27 with 825 viewsmrshallisfit

Honestly what is the matter with people on 07:12 - May 27 by grimboy

That he is.
Undoubtedly the biggest slag on here.

Jeez. Your poor Learning Assistant must have been one relieved dude when you left compulsory education.
Login to get fewer ads

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:51 - May 27 with 824 viewsSpruceMoose

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:48 - May 27 by mrshallisfit

Jeez. Your poor Learning Assistant must have been one relieved dude when you left compulsory education.

I'm not sure he ever even had the compulsory part. He's barely literate for Pete's sake. I could forgive that, but the pride he takes in his stupidity is an insult to our great country.

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:58 - May 27 with 822 viewsOxford_Blue

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:39 - May 27 by SpruceMoose

Sure - you too.

I didn’t ever claim to define what people voted for - I said that 80% of the electorate voted for parties who promised to leave the EU. Given what a big issue this was, I would be surprised if remainers voted for parties which stood on a platform of leaving the EU.

You also haven’t dealt with the point that the current Parliament hasn’t revoked Article 50 - and therefore is bound by it. Article 50 gives legal effect to the referendum result.

Good night!
Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:59 - May 27 with 821 viewsHARRY10

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:39 - May 27 by SpruceMoose

I'm sure there are broken cuckoo clocks that spout more sense than Oxford Blue.

Clearly he has little idea of Parliamentary procedure and is just regurgitating some ill informed guff he has picked up elsewhere.

So that's it from me as well.
Honestly what is the matter with people on 23:08 - May 27 with 813 viewsPinewoodblue

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:59 - May 27 by HARRY10

Clearly he has little idea of Parliamentary procedure and is just regurgitating some ill informed guff he has picked up elsewhere.

Oxford blue is clearly wasting his time if he thinks he can get you to see reason.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Honestly what is the matter with people on 07:03 - May 28 with 760 viewsballycastle

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:58 - May 27 by Oxford_Blue

Sure - you too.

I didn’t ever claim to define what people voted for - I said that 80% of the electorate voted for parties who promised to leave the EU. Given what a big issue this was, I would be surprised if remainers voted for parties which stood on a platform of leaving the EU.

You also haven’t dealt with the point that the current Parliament hasn’t revoked Article 50 - and therefore is bound by it. Article 50 gives legal effect to the referendum result.

Good night!

'I would be surprised if remainers voted for parties which stood on a platform of leaving the EU.'

They did though, but only the really really stupid ones.
Honestly what is the matter with people on 07:13 - May 28 with 752 viewsm14_blue

Honestly what is the matter with people on 07:03 - May 28 by ballycastle

'I would be surprised if remainers voted for parties which stood on a platform of leaving the EU.'

So you’re calling millions of people really stupid?

I thought that wasn’t allowed these days?
Honestly what is the matter with people on 07:44 - May 28 with 727 viewsOxford_Blue

Honestly what is the matter with people on 22:59 - May 27 by HARRY10

Another example of abuse rather than addressing points.

Please tell me what I said that was factually wrong about constitutional law and procedure - I’ll summarise it below and you tell me what is incorrect:

- the Supreme Court held that Parliament had to trigger Article 50, not the govt
- Parliament triggered article 50, which ratified the referendum result and made it binding (unless revoked)
- we had a a GE where the tories and labour promised to uphold the referendum result
- Article 50 has not been revoked
Honestly what is the matter with people on 08:06 - May 28 with 717 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Honestly what is the matter with people on 02:15 - May 27 by SpruceMoose

Dude. Use your fecking caps lock and stop insulting the English language.

"Grammar is whatever suits your design and need, there are no commandments of grammar, only people too frightened of its power with small, clogged and clotted minds".
A.A. Gill, Pour Me, A Life.
Any grown, supposedly mature adult who starts a sentence word with Dude seriously needs to stop being so condescending towards other people.
I will leave you with this from the above author.
"It is the one truly, wholly democratic free and limitless thing we all own. Dont ever,ever allow anyone to use this language against you to make you feel excused or silenced or small".

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Honestly what is the matter with people on 08:18 - May 28 with 705 viewsHerbivore

Honestly what is the matter with people on 07:03 - May 28 by ballycastle

That's some serious bigotry right there, labelling millions of people as stupid because they take a position you don't agree with. For shame.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024