Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. 14:51 - Jan 2 with 12313 viewsblueblood66

we would have been invaded. Its not over until its over, when we cannot obtain enough points to survive. Defeatists are asunder, time to pull as one until its done. Then and ONLY then must we call out Evans for what he is and show our utter displeasure and vitriol.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 14:51]
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 14:53 - Jan 2 with 7904 viewsBlueBadger

Oh give over, you great fanny.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 15:01 - Jan 2 with 7883 viewstcblue

THIS IS OUR 9/11

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 15:04 - Jan 2 with 7871 viewsWD19

I'm thinking we are currently at the invincible stage....

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 15:10 - Jan 2 with 7847 viewsagentp

Churchill out!

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 15:22 - Jan 2 with 7824 viewsOxford_Blue

I think you mean in 1940.

And the resolve of people here had less to do with it than the fact that Hitler switched from bombing airfields and out airplanes to bombing cities, which allowed the RAF time to rebuild and replace its losses. Upto that point it was looking very bad indeed.

Don’t forget, too, that many in government supported Halifax and wanted to make peace with Germany.

As for football, resolve doesn’t change facts. We are 11 points off safety and yesterday was almost certainly the final straw.

The fact that we can only get in a player who isn’t wanted by another struggling team and who has barely played football this season doesn’t help.

It’s not about resolve. It’s about being realistic.
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 15:31 - Jan 2 with 7795 viewsgordon

If we can just get Will Keane and Rudy Gestede in up top I'm sure we'll stroll to safety, and probably march on up to the top of the Championship next season.
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 15:35 - Jan 2 with 7793 viewsElephantintheRoom

Hmmm I think you will find that in 1939 we declared war on Germany because they invaded Poland - something we could do nothing about anyway except sit back and watch Germany and Russia carve it up and mass murder millions of its citizens. Having made tea on the Maginot line for the rest of the year we beat a hasty retreat at the first sign of the German army and left the messy business of war to other countries until 1944. In 1939 we also closed off the safety net of 'British Palestine' to Europe's Jews - thus condemning a few more millions to death. Apart from that 1939 was rather uneventful for Brits.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 15:39 - Jan 2 with 7780 viewsOxford_Blue

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 15:35 - Jan 2 by ElephantintheRoom

Hmmm I think you will find that in 1939 we declared war on Germany because they invaded Poland - something we could do nothing about anyway except sit back and watch Germany and Russia carve it up and mass murder millions of its citizens. Having made tea on the Maginot line for the rest of the year we beat a hasty retreat at the first sign of the German army and left the messy business of war to other countries until 1944. In 1939 we also closed off the safety net of 'British Palestine' to Europe's Jews - thus condemning a few more millions to death. Apart from that 1939 was rather uneventful for Brits.

Ah, a left wing revisionist take.

Britain not only financed Russia (together with the US) but defeated the Germans for the first time and showed they could be stopped. Britain then fought Japan in the Far East, a naval war all around the world, and was fighting German and axis troops in North Africa well before the Americans committed forces to the European theatre.

Britain also provided the US with bases from which to bomb Germany and bomber command played a significant part in that.

Yes, it was the Soviets who were largely responsible for defeating Germany but they relied on significant allied economic aid and weapons.
Login to get fewer ads

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 17:25 - Jan 2 with 7703 viewsBlueForYou

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 15:39 - Jan 2 by Oxford_Blue

Ah, a left wing revisionist take.

Britain not only financed Russia (together with the US) but defeated the Germans for the first time and showed they could be stopped. Britain then fought Japan in the Far East, a naval war all around the world, and was fighting German and axis troops in North Africa well before the Americans committed forces to the European theatre.

Britain also provided the US with bases from which to bomb Germany and bomber command played a significant part in that.

Yes, it was the Soviets who were largely responsible for defeating Germany but they relied on significant allied economic aid and weapons.

We certainly need some Allied reinforcements at this time!
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 17:30 - Jan 2 with 7690 viewsPinewoodblue

Pleasantly surprised thought it was going to be a Brexit post.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 17:51 - Jan 2 with 7653 viewsFtnfwest

In general I couldn't agree more but in our case the last time we didnt prepare for relegation didn't go very well
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 18:25 - Jan 2 with 7604 viewsfactual_blue

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 15:35 - Jan 2 by ElephantintheRoom

So, no fighting against Germany in Crete, North Africa, or Italy in 1941-44 then?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 18:36 - Jan 2 with 7591 viewsBlueNomad

I guess those who lost family members in France will always remember that they made tea and then ran away and will appreciate your shrugging off of their sacrifice.

I wonder if you are one of those who talk a good war but actually ducks when a car backfires!
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 18:47 - Jan 2 with 7571 viewsbluejacko

Not to worry the EU will sort it for us.
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 18:54 - Jan 2 with 7559 viewsOxford_Blue

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 18:36 - Jan 2 by BlueNomad

I guess those who lost family members in France will always remember that they made tea and then ran away and will appreciate your shrugging off of their sacrifice.

I wonder if you are one of those who talk a good war but actually ducks when a car backfires!

Indeed.

And in North Africa.

And in the North Atlantic.

And in the skies over Western Europe.

And in the Far East.

What a ridiculously crass post suggestion that Britain and its empire did no fighting until 1944.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 18:54]
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 19:31 - Jan 2 with 7510 viewsHARRY10

err, it was the French army who were on the Maginot line, and it was their 1st Army at Lille who saved the BEF at Dunkirk.

A check on the tank battle at Arras might suggest that the BEF did a bit more than make tea.. they actually brewed up quite a few German tanks.

As to the post having anything to do with so called 'left wing revisionism' that is just Daily Mail style nonsense. Perhaps Oxford Blue might care to remind us where the respective sides of left and right were at the beginning of that war. Which of those supported Hitler and which argued for a a 'fight to the end'.

A clue might be the Tory MP who objected to bombing Germany as it would cause damage to private property !
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 20:27 - Jan 2 with 7471 viewsOxford_Blue

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 19:31 - Jan 2 by HARRY10

err, it was the French army who were on the Maginot line, and it was their 1st Army at Lille who saved the BEF at Dunkirk.

A check on the tank battle at Arras might suggest that the BEF did a bit more than make tea.. they actually brewed up quite a few German tanks.

As to the post having anything to do with so called 'left wing revisionism' that is just Daily Mail style nonsense. Perhaps Oxford Blue might care to remind us where the respective sides of left and right were at the beginning of that war. Which of those supported Hitler and which argued for a a 'fight to the end'.

A clue might be the Tory MP who objected to bombing Germany as it would cause damage to private property !

It’s a reference to the left’s rewriting of British history - exemplified by the post - to criticise and undermine at every turn the notion of Empire.
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 20:45 - Jan 2 with 7451 viewsbluejacko

Try telling the 5th Battalion Suffolk Regt who were captured in Singapore in 1940 that there wasn’t much going on! It really is amazing how much history is twisted to suit people’s views of Great Britain.
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 21:02 - Jan 2 with 7436 viewsHARRY10

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 20:27 - Jan 2 by Oxford_Blue

It’s a reference to the left’s rewriting of British history - exemplified by the post - to criticise and undermine at every turn the notion of Empire.

What you mean is posting up an accurate account of events .........................that doesn't fit in with the blinkered jingoism many swallow.
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 21:10 - Jan 2 with 7420 viewsHARRY10

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 20:45 - Jan 2 by bluejacko

Try telling the 5th Battalion Suffolk Regt who were captured in Singapore in 1940 that there wasn’t much going on! It really is amazing how much history is twisted to suit people’s views of Great Britain.

It's amazing how much is posted up by the clueless in their defence of 'Great Britain'

It was 1942, as anyone with the slightest knowledge of WW2 would have known ie the fall of Singapore

I expect my comments will be described as lefty revisionism.
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 21:20 - Jan 2 with 7402 viewsbluejacko

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 21:10 - Jan 2 by HARRY10

It's amazing how much is posted up by the clueless in their defence of 'Great Britain'

It was 1942, as anyone with the slightest knowledge of WW2 would have known ie the fall of Singapore

I expect my comments will be described as lefty revisionism.

Ok good point,got the year wrong! Just proves the point though there was lots going on involving the Allies in general wasn’t there?
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 21:31 - Jan 2 with 7380 viewsOxford_Blue

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 21:02 - Jan 2 by HARRY10

What you mean is posting up an accurate account of events .........................that doesn't fit in with the blinkered jingoism many swallow.

No, I mean that this comment is not a fair or accurate assertion:

“Having made tea on the Maginot line for the rest of the year we beat a hasty retreat at the first sign of the German army and left the messy business of war to other countries until 1944”.

Do you agree it is inaccurate?
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 21:37 - Jan 2 with 7369 viewsHARRY10

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 21:31 - Jan 2 by Oxford_Blue

No, I mean that this comment is not a fair or accurate assertion:

“Having made tea on the Maginot line for the rest of the year we beat a hasty retreat at the first sign of the German army and left the messy business of war to other countries until 1944”.

Do you agree it is inaccurate?

Hard to judge against this buffoonery

" a reference to the left’s rewriting of British history - exemplified by the post - to criticise and undermine at every turn the notion of Empire. "
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 07:40 - Jan 3 with 7226 viewsOxford_Blue

IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 21:37 - Jan 2 by HARRY10

Hard to judge against this buffoonery

" a reference to the left’s rewriting of British history - exemplified by the post - to criticise and undermine at every turn the notion of Empire. "

I think you just proved my point.
IF in 1939 people had the same resolve as this generation.. on 08:12 - Jan 3 with 7188 viewsBenters2

'Germans Fawlty bad eggs all of em'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024