Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bohemian Rhapsody 08:09 - Oct 25 with 5055 viewsuefacup81

Thinking of going to see it? Don't bother.

Absolute revisionist horsesh*t that couldn't even get the most basic facts right.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Bohemian Rhapsody on 08:23 - Oct 25 with 4991 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I thought Brian May and Roger Taylor were advisors on it.
May himself said "We've got something that Freddie would be proud of"

Mind you, May is bonkers and both were allegedly drug addled half the time

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Bohemian Rhapsody on 08:32 - Oct 25 with 4952 viewsuefacup81

Bohemian Rhapsody on 08:23 - Oct 25 by Cheltenham_Blue

I thought Brian May and Roger Taylor were advisors on it.
May himself said "We've got something that Freddie would be proud of"

Mind you, May is bonkers and both were allegedly drug addled half the time

I'd heard that too, and if they were then they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Essentially it's a sanitised cash-in to try and pull in as much money in as many different territories as possible.

Top of the list of horsesh*t (and it's a long list) is Freddie grovelling to the band to take him back following their (so-well-publicised-I'd-never-even-heard-about-it) splitting up over his wanting to do a solo project.

Bohemian Rhapsody on 09:35 - Oct 25 with 4830 viewsconnorscontract

Bohemian Rhapsody on 08:32 - Oct 25 by uefacup81

I'd heard that too, and if they were then they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Essentially it's a sanitised cash-in to try and pull in as much money in as many different territories as possible.

Top of the list of horsesh*t (and it's a long list) is Freddie grovelling to the band to take him back following their (so-well-publicised-I'd-never-even-heard-about-it) splitting up over his wanting to do a solo project.

That Barcelona song? Maybe the writers were taking the old line about it being over when the fat lady sings a bit too literally.
Bohemian Rhapsody on 09:48 - Oct 25 with 4793 viewsStuartBrett8

The solo project was down time after the magic tour, he'd just been diagnosed with HIV and wanted to get a solo project out. He actually did two with Mr Bad Guy and Barcelona. They'd already decided FM couldn't do the touring anymore so everyone was happy for him to do a solo bit. At the same time Roger Taylor formed a new band The Cross as he had time to kill.

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Bohemian Rhapsody on 10:37 - Oct 25 with 4715 viewsBent_double

How is Rami Malek as Freddie? He certainly has the look, but does he carry it off?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Bohemian Rhapsody on 11:00 - Oct 25 with 4664 viewsuefacup81

Bohemian Rhapsody on 10:37 - Oct 25 by Bent_double

How is Rami Malek as Freddie? He certainly has the look, but does he carry it off?

He doesn't seem to have the presence.

Also, Brian May and John Deacon are so well cast (unbelievably well - particularly in some of the live performance scenes you can't quite tell whether it's Brian May or Gwyllim Lee on screen) which, unfortunately, accentuates the slight differences between Malek and Mercury.

Bohemian Rhapsody on 11:03 - Oct 25 with 4648 viewsThe_Last_Baron

A vanity project.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Bohemian Rhapsody on 11:16 - Oct 25 with 4611 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

You realise it's a film right and not a documentary.

It's supposed to be entertaining, no doubt a bit poignant, but uplifting and with some feel good tunes in it.

There's a reason why it's not 90 minutes of Freddie slowly dying and deteriorating. They have chosen some of the things that happened over a couple of decades and created a story around those facts. They haven't made stuff up. They have just given emphasis to some small incidents and not included some bigger things (eg Mercury's childhood) so they could focus on making something entertaining and telling the story they wanted to.

Hundreds of documentaries about Queen and FM, if you feel you know better than the remaining band members.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Login to get fewer ads

Bohemian Rhapsody on 11:41 - Oct 25 with 4553 viewsuefacup81

Bohemian Rhapsody on 11:16 - Oct 25 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You realise it's a film right and not a documentary.

It's supposed to be entertaining, no doubt a bit poignant, but uplifting and with some feel good tunes in it.

There's a reason why it's not 90 minutes of Freddie slowly dying and deteriorating. They have chosen some of the things that happened over a couple of decades and created a story around those facts. They haven't made stuff up. They have just given emphasis to some small incidents and not included some bigger things (eg Mercury's childhood) so they could focus on making something entertaining and telling the story they wanted to.

Hundreds of documentaries about Queen and FM, if you feel you know better than the remaining band members.

Unfortunately the bit about 'not having made stuff up' is wrong. A few tweaks to the timeline to fit things in is one thing, fabricating that the band weren't even talking to Freddie in 1984/5 is something else entirely (I fail to see how they could have done the Works Tour in 1984/5 without some degree of communication).

Also, Freddie getting his AIDS diagnosis in a public hospital and 'outing' himself to a bystander flys in the face of all of the facts surrounding the secrecy of his diagnosis.

And then there's all but completely re-writing Jim Hutton's role/story, but I imagine meeting him in a gay bar didn't fit in with their sanitised version of events.

Bohemian Rhapsody on 12:02 - Oct 25 with 4514 viewsJ4ck22

Bohemian Rhapsody on 11:41 - Oct 25 by uefacup81

Unfortunately the bit about 'not having made stuff up' is wrong. A few tweaks to the timeline to fit things in is one thing, fabricating that the band weren't even talking to Freddie in 1984/5 is something else entirely (I fail to see how they could have done the Works Tour in 1984/5 without some degree of communication).

Also, Freddie getting his AIDS diagnosis in a public hospital and 'outing' himself to a bystander flys in the face of all of the facts surrounding the secrecy of his diagnosis.

And then there's all but completely re-writing Jim Hutton's role/story, but I imagine meeting him in a gay bar didn't fit in with their sanitised version of events.

I do remember hearing that Sacha Baron Cohen was in line to play Freddie, but dropped out because he wanted an R rated film highlighting Freddie's exploits, but the band were not keen on it at all and wanted a more sanitised story of the band, like you said.
Bohemian Rhapsody on 12:14 - Oct 25 with 4493 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Bohemian Rhapsody on 11:41 - Oct 25 by uefacup81

I read Peter Freestone (Fred's PA) saying the film was so detailed down to what Fred carried in his man bag and that the costumes and moves were spot on. Then they f@ck up basic stuff and contradict it by recording WWRY in 1980 with Fred in his 'clone look' rather than the 'leather long hair look of NOTW in 1977 when it was recorded. Also revealing his Aids diagnosis before Live Aid when it was 1987 that he was diagnosed. Real pity they messed this up especially when they ma de a big deal about making it as accurate as possible.'

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Bohemian Rhapsody on 12:17 - Oct 25 with 4475 viewsGlasgowBlue

Bohemian Rhapsody on 09:35 - Oct 25 by connorscontract

That Barcelona song? Maybe the writers were taking the old line about it being over when the fat lady sings a bit too literally.

Mr Bad Guy

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Bohemian Rhapsody on 12:21 - Oct 25 with 4454 viewsuefacup81

Bohemian Rhapsody on 12:14 - Oct 25 by Jonnosdreadlocks

I read Peter Freestone (Fred's PA) saying the film was so detailed down to what Fred carried in his man bag and that the costumes and moves were spot on. Then they f@ck up basic stuff and contradict it by recording WWRY in 1980 with Fred in his 'clone look' rather than the 'leather long hair look of NOTW in 1977 when it was recorded. Also revealing his Aids diagnosis before Live Aid when it was 1987 that he was diagnosed. Real pity they messed this up especially when they ma de a big deal about making it as accurate as possible.'

Abso-bloody-exactly.

When they can't even get stuff as fundamental as release years right, you struggle to accept what they're telling you in terms of bigger revelations.

Bohemian Rhapsody on 12:43 - Mar 24 with 3693 viewsRyorry

Saw it last night, not surprised it got mixed reviews, as for me it was rather 'parson's nose' - good in parts (the music, obvs) but v. shallow.

As a film I found the first part - them building their name before making it big - surprosingly gripping, but after that it lagged a lot & was quite confusing too (the Paul thing), so was basically just enjoying & waiting for the music - worth going just for the Live Aid sequence at the end!

Rami Malek was fantastic though.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bohemian Rhapsody on 12:52 - Mar 24 with 3655 viewsfooters

Queen are absolutely awful. This shouldn't really be a matter of debate anymore.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Bohemian Rhapsody on 14:08 - Mar 24 with 3562 viewsjas0999

It gets very good reviews and can see why folk like it. But, I didn’t. It was just too slow moving and frankly boring - in my opinion.
Bohemian Rhapsody on 16:08 - Mar 24 with 3473 viewsDeano69

I think it has to be viewed for what it is, I.e a story and not a documentary. Some have said similar about Stan & Ollie. I enjoyed both but could pick enormous holes in either for absolute fact fullness.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

on 17:39 - Mar 24 with 3393 views_

Bohemian Rhapsody on 22:34 - Mar 24 with 3170 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Agree, riddled with inaccuracies.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Bohemian Rhapsody on 22:43 - Mar 24 with 3154 viewsfooters

Bohemian Rhapsody on 22:34 - Mar 24 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Agree, riddled with inaccuracies.

It really fckin p1sses md off m8. Travesty .

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024