Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... 12:22 - Oct 8 with 7093 viewsHarryfromBath

Now, I know that Jeremy Simpson is not my favourite referee after the penalty-fuelled game at Reading a few years ago and his subsequent efforts at Hillsborough this season, but Leeds fans have taken a novel approach after Saturday's draw against Brentford.

They have organized a petition on the Change.org website to have him investigated by the EFL and have garnered well over 2,000 signatures at the time of posting. I don't trust the man's refereeing judgement but this is taking things to another level. Of course nothing will come of it...

https://www.change.org/p/investigate-jeremy-simpson

(Edit: I just realised that the group behind the petition are called 'Supporters against Incompetence'. They must have their hands full.)
[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 12:24]

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:26 - Oct 8 with 5117 viewsfactual_blue

These are the fans who insisted for years they were the 1975 winners of the European Cup, but studiously ignore the attempted bribing of Wolves players by Revie & Bremner in 1972.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:30 - Oct 8 with 5079 viewsm14_blue

Christ, and I thought Town fans could be embarrassing sometimes...

What absolute whoppers.
Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:41 - Oct 8 with 5023 viewsSamWhiteUK

"Lets remember that this is not about costing LUFC a match. This is overall about poor officiating throughout the whole of the EFL. LUFC just seem to get the brunt of it."

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:43 - Oct 8 with 4992 viewsReuser_is_God

The referring in the championship, on the whole, is awful.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:45 - Oct 8 with 4979 viewsStokieBlue

Leeds fans being massive bellends shocker.

Not sure how they think that wasn't a penalty.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:46 - Oct 8 with 4980 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The witch hunt of referees has got to stop, its just become childish. The managers and the media dont help.

No team has EVER lost a match or been relegated solely due to a referee.

If football matches are lost it is down to;

1. The players.
2. The manager.
3. The board.

362. The officials.

There would be no football without ref's, and the sooner fans stop trying to hound them out of the game the better.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:51 - Oct 8 with 4936 viewsBerlinBlue

"unqualified to referee at any level" - last three words are harsh
"Simpson to be banned from refereeing ever again." - ever again? harsh

wow, don't get on the wrong side of Leeds fans.
Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:59 - Oct 8 with 4872 viewsbrazil1982

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:46 - Oct 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

The witch hunt of referees has got to stop, its just become childish. The managers and the media dont help.

1. The players.
2. The manager.
3. The board.

362. The officials.

There would be no football without ref's, and the sooner fans stop trying to hound them out of the game the better.

I couldn't agree more. It doesn't help that journalists and MOTD heavily criticise the officials after every match. It's a hell of a profession; I ref at amateur level and I find that stressful enough, especially when I make mistakes.
Login to get fewer ads

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:05 - Oct 8 with 4833 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:59 - Oct 8 by brazil1982

I couldn't agree more. It doesn't help that journalists and MOTD heavily criticise the officials after every match. It's a hell of a profession; I ref at amateur level and I find that stressful enough, especially when I make mistakes.

I hate it when MOTD decide to talk about the ref decisions first, as if they are all that matters.

With this type of media scrutiny and badgering, the pool of refs at amateur level will only get smaller, and that will feed upwards.

I also dont understand why a Prem ref only earns c.£100k per year. The Prem makes soooo much money, maybe if they paid ref's £500k per year they would retain the best ones, and also tempt former players into the profession. It would also make the job more desirable, and increase the pool of refs in the long term.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:10 - Oct 8 with 4799 viewsFtnfwest

Some serious pond life contributing to that. I forget of course that they are 'entitled' to their place in the premier league...
Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:12 - Oct 8 with 4787 viewsBasuco

My biggest gripe with referees is that they are sometimes very inconsistent, they make different decisions on the same tackle in the same game, let alone different refs on different days, they need to get together and decide what a foul is and apply that consistently over the course of a season.
Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:12 - Oct 8 with 4781 viewsRyorry

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:41 - Oct 8 by SamWhiteUK

"Lets remember that this is not about costing LUFC a match. This is overall about poor officiating throughout the whole of the EFL. LUFC just seem to get the brunt of it."

It's opposition fans who "get the brunt of it" - more bottles thrown by LUFC "supporters" at the w/e - this time at Brentford fans when their team scored.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:13 - Oct 8 with 4782 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:10 - Oct 8 by Ftnfwest

Some serious pond life contributing to that. I forget of course that they are 'entitled' to their place in the premier league...

'Lets set up a petition'

...thats very much a primary school level response from these guys.

They should be embarrassed.

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:14 - Oct 8 with 4774 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:12 - Oct 8 by Basuco

My biggest gripe with referees is that they are sometimes very inconsistent, they make different decisions on the same tackle in the same game, let alone different refs on different days, they need to get together and decide what a foul is and apply that consistently over the course of a season.

There is no such thing as 'the same tackle'. Yes, they may be similar, but we never know exactly what the ref saw, or from what angle.

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:17 - Oct 8 with 4762 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

I hope this is successful. Whilst the standard of reffing in the championship is generally poor, Jeremy Simpson is the worst I have seen for a long time. I havent watched teh Leeds game so can't comment on taht, but the red card agianst Toto was so bad it was either gross incompetence or that he had some vested interest.

It is just daft to claim that the officals don't change the course (and outcome) of matches, of course they do.

No one expects officals to be perfect, of course they will make mistakes as they are human. What we can and should expect is that when they have made a mistake, they, and especially the FA disciplinary panel, can admit it and do the right thing.

Poll: would you rather

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:18 - Oct 8 with 4751 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:17 - Oct 8 by LegendofthePhoenix

I hope this is successful. Whilst the standard of reffing in the championship is generally poor, Jeremy Simpson is the worst I have seen for a long time. I havent watched teh Leeds game so can't comment on taht, but the red card agianst Toto was so bad it was either gross incompetence or that he had some vested interest.

It is just daft to claim that the officals don't change the course (and outcome) of matches, of course they do.

No one expects officals to be perfect, of course they will make mistakes as they are human. What we can and should expect is that when they have made a mistake, they, and especially the FA disciplinary panel, can admit it and do the right thing.

How could it possibly be a success?

Who do they think is going to act on this flimsy online petition?

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:26 - Oct 8 with 4692 viewsFtnfwest

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:13 - Oct 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

'Lets set up a petition'

...thats very much a primary school level response from these guys.

They should be embarrassed.

whereas 'little old ipswich' should just mind their manners, get a pat on the head and be told to be 'careful what we wish for'
Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:32 - Oct 8 with 4647 viewsm14_blue

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:12 - Oct 8 by Basuco

Every tackle is different, even if they look similar.

However, just as players misplace passes, referees make mistakes too, they are human. Funnily enough you never hear managers slating their players for honest mistakes or bad decisions. See Warnock after the Cardiff player's horror tackle on Saturday for the perfect example.

If I have one small frustration with refs it is that they rarely award fouls when a player stays on their feet, which encourages diving.
Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:36 - Oct 8 with 4619 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:26 - Oct 8 by Ftnfwest

whereas 'little old ipswich' should just mind their manners, get a pat on the head and be told to be 'careful what we wish for'

..not sure what thats about.

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:40 - Oct 8 with 4591 viewssotd78

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 12:46 - Oct 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

1. The players.
2. The manager.
3. The board.

362. The officials.

You clearly weren't at Stamford Bridge in 1975 when a certain Clive Thomas clearly cost Town the FA Cup semi final. Two disallowed goals - nothing wrong with either.

I contend that we lost that match solely due to a referee

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:41 - Oct 8 with 4566 viewsNo9

All seems a bit daft however, I don't think the EFL has been as good as it could have been in providing competent match officials
Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:42 - Oct 8 with 4562 viewsITFC_Forever

He's no Keith Stroud.

Where is the poison dwarf this season anyway? Don't tell me he's finally been struck off for services against football?

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:46 - Oct 8 with 4530 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:40 - Oct 8 by sotd78

You clearly weren't at Stamford Bridge in 1975 when a certain Clive Thomas clearly cost Town the FA Cup semi final. Two disallowed goals - nothing wrong with either.

I wasnt born, so I wasnt there.

I havent seen any footage, so I cant comment as to whether you are right, but I suspect our loss wasnt solely down to the ref.

Of course, had we not conceded two goals we would have won, so that would suggest otherwise.

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:49 - Oct 8 with 4510 viewssotd78

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:46 - Oct 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

I wasnt born, so I wasnt there.

I havent seen any footage, so I cant comment as to whether you are right, but I suspect our loss wasnt solely down to the ref.

Of course, had we not conceded two goals we would have won, so that would suggest otherwise.

For years and years Town support would chant at dodgy refs: "Are you Thomas in disguise?"
I can assure you that "man" cost us the semi. On my life!

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:55 - Oct 8 with 4467 viewsNo9

Petition Started by Leeds Fans on referee Jeremy Simpson... on 13:40 - Oct 8 by sotd78

Indeed the Welshman did cost Town a trip to Wembley.
What made it worse was, he claimed that game taught him a lot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024