Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) 10:24 - Sep 23 with 3503 viewsjasondozzell

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:34 - Sep 23 with 2980 viewsBackToRussia

Evans isn't a sacker (unless you've just had a decent season and have won a derby game, then you're in trouble). Unless he does something radical we're stuck with him.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:39 - Sep 23 with 2970 viewspointofblue

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:34 - Sep 23 by BackToRussia

Evans isn't a sacker (unless you've just had a decent season and have won a derby game, then you're in trouble). Unless he does something radical we're stuck with him.

Let’s not rewrite history, most fans thought Magilton’s time was up by then and wanted it to be so. He hadn’t achieved what was required on the money and some of the results, particularly at home, were very poor - think a 3-0 reverse against Doncaster.

In hindsight maybe we, as a fanbase, have hit exactly what we deserved. We helped push two of our better performing managers out of the door and have very little to no patience now moving forward.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:41 - Sep 23 with 2966 viewsjasondozzell

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:34 - Sep 23 by BackToRussia

I think Hurst will get it right. He's had a disrupted summer with transfer speculation, a good deal of bad luck with red cards and suspensions and been unlucky in some games. Yesterday wasn't great but if Jackson goes down slightly closer to box and we get a pen or if Nolan sticks in chalobah ball then it all feels a lot different. We've only looked dire against Hull, first half at Brentford and yesterday. Other games we've been competitive.

We are not a sacking club and that's something to be proud of.
Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:45 - Sep 23 with 2943 viewsBackToRussia

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:39 - Sep 23 by pointofblue

Let’s not rewrite history, most fans thought Magilton’s time was up by then and wanted it to be so. He hadn’t achieved what was required on the money and some of the results, particularly at home, were very poor - think a 3-0 reverse against Doncaster.

In hindsight maybe we, as a fanbase, have hit exactly what we deserved. We helped push two of our better performing managers out of the door and have very little to no patience now moving forward.

Not rewriting history - was my opinion then and now that it was an unjust dismissal. But anyway, Evans has basically admitted that he thought he could get rid of Jim, give a new man £10 million and it'd be guaranteed that we'd be up the next season. This wasn't helped by people like Sheepshanks who told him that we weren't far off promotion. But it also speaks to the huge amount of naivety and hubris Evans exhibited in the first stage of his ownership of the club. Say what you like about the end of JM's time here but bar MM's most successful 18 months no one has come close to him since then.

Of course, the fans were complicit in that but it's not up to the fans to have any sort of oversight or wisdom relating to the direction of the club, it's up to the person who's decided to run a football club with his own money. Evans was forced into patience due to failure, and stumbled upon MM's success rather than initiating it or having anything really to do with it. In fact, the one time he could have made a difference in funding MM in the January transfer window when we were 2nd, he failed to do.

I don't know whether Evans is just unlucky or incompetent, but whatever he seems to touch turns to sh1t.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:48 - Sep 23 with 2933 viewspointofblue

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:41 - Sep 23 by jasondozzell

I think Hurst will get it right. He's had a disrupted summer with transfer speculation, a good deal of bad luck with red cards and suspensions and been unlucky in some games. Yesterday wasn't great but if Jackson goes down slightly closer to box and we get a pen or if Nolan sticks in chalobah ball then it all feels a lot different. We've only looked dire against Hull, first half at Brentford and yesterday. Other games we've been competitive.

Whilst I agree the issue is we seem to be sliding backwards instead of going forwards. If our performance order was in reverse - opening day against Bolton with yesterday being the 2-2 draw against Blackburn - I think the fans would be feeling more confident as we’d be showing signs of working towards something.

I am a Hurst backer at this stage but he needs to inject some coherence into the line up and tactics, stop using Donacien as an option only when the loanee system will allow it and give them time. His biggest fault for me is his desperation for a win, surprisingly, outweighed the fans when he threw the baby out with the bath water against Norwich. He panicked before had too and now he’s trying to recover from that.

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:50 - Sep 23 with 2926 viewsBackToRussia

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:41 - Sep 23 by jasondozzell

If he does, then nothing up to this point will have indicated that. He has lost all the goodwill and momentum he accrued in the off season, and now has to totally turn it around with both supporters and, from the sounds of it, the staff of the football club.

That's not to say it's impossible of course. Hurst has had similar opening months with Grimsby and Shrewsbury, but those were clubs already down and out, used to being at the bottom. He could use adversity as something to unite a team, and clearly he did that. But those were players who had barely established themselves as league players. He basically built the careers of people like Nsiala and Nolan from nothing. But this is a club full of established pros, a club in a stable position but that needed to do something different. It didn't need to be worrying about being down the bottom and alienating players.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:50 - Sep 23 with 2916 viewsMullet

Hmmmmm if only.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:50 - Sep 23 with 2918 viewsjasondozzell

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:48 - Sep 23 by pointofblue

Whilst I agree the issue is we seem to be sliding backwards instead of going forwards. If our performance order was in reverse - opening day against Bolton with yesterday being the 2-2 draw against Blackburn - I think the fans would be feeling more confident as we’d be showing signs of working towards something.

I am a Hurst backer at this stage but he needs to inject some coherence into the line up and tactics, stop using Donacien as an option only when the loanee system will allow it and give them time. His biggest fault for me is his desperation for a win, surprisingly, outweighed the fans when he threw the baby out with the bath water against Norwich. He panicked before had too and now he’s trying to recover from that.

Fair point. I do think that is correct - the better performances have come at beginning of season. I wonder whether trying to accommodate Walters has made things harder.

I would agree - I think the worry about winning has pushed the philosophy out a bit.
Login to get fewer ads

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:53 - Sep 23 with 2907 viewsjasondozzell

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:50 - Sep 23 by BackToRussia

If he does, then nothing up to this point will have indicated that. He has lost all the goodwill and momentum he accrued in the off season, and now has to totally turn it around with both supporters and, from the sounds of it, the staff of the football club.

That's not to say it's impossible of course. Hurst has had similar opening months with Grimsby and Shrewsbury, but those were clubs already down and out, used to being at the bottom. He could use adversity as something to unite a team, and clearly he did that. But those were players who had barely established themselves as league players. He basically built the careers of people like Nsiala and Nolan from nothing. But this is a club full of established pros, a club in a stable position but that needed to do something different. It didn't need to be worrying about being down the bottom and alienating players.

Has he alienated players though? This all seems like Chinese whispers to me.

Things aren't looking good, but I think we are closer to being a good team than a bad one. If we were haemorraging goals it would be v different.
Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:57 - Sep 23 with 2894 viewsBackToRussia

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:53 - Sep 23 by jasondozzell

Has he alienated players though? This all seems like Chinese whispers to me.

Things aren't looking good, but I think we are closer to being a good team than a bad one. If we were haemorraging goals it would be v different.

I think in this case the phrase no smoke without fire has validity.

It's not exactly hard to believe is it, given the circumstances, that there would be an unhappy camp? Nothing a few good wins wouldn't turn around, of course, but if they aren't forthcoming, it's the type of atmosphere that becomes untenable.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:00 - Sep 23 with 2882 viewspointofblue

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:45 - Sep 23 by BackToRussia

Not rewriting history - was my opinion then and now that it was an unjust dismissal. But anyway, Evans has basically admitted that he thought he could get rid of Jim, give a new man £10 million and it'd be guaranteed that we'd be up the next season. This wasn't helped by people like Sheepshanks who told him that we weren't far off promotion. But it also speaks to the huge amount of naivety and hubris Evans exhibited in the first stage of his ownership of the club. Say what you like about the end of JM's time here but bar MM's most successful 18 months no one has come close to him since then.

Of course, the fans were complicit in that but it's not up to the fans to have any sort of oversight or wisdom relating to the direction of the club, it's up to the person who's decided to run a football club with his own money. Evans was forced into patience due to failure, and stumbled upon MM's success rather than initiating it or having anything really to do with it. In fact, the one time he could have made a difference in funding MM in the January transfer window when we were 2nd, he failed to do.

I don't know whether Evans is just unlucky or incompetent, but whatever he seems to touch turns to sh1t.

To be honest Jim and Keane cocked up our big opportunity, when we were one of the bigger clubs in the division financially and should have had the clout to power upwards. When people speak about the amount spent on wages/transfers we were probably in the top six in Jim’s final year yet he could only get us to mid table. He was better on a tight budget than with cash. Keane of course was worse. No one has come close to Jim since then other than Mick but both had lost the fan base for different reasons and, to keep revenue coming through the doors, Evans had to act.

He certainly didn’t make the right choice post Jim and the jury is out post Mick.

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:09 - Sep 23 with 2858 viewsGuthrum

Hurst needs to help himself by getting on top of things very soon.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:17 - Sep 23 with 2836 viewsBerlinBlue

I think he'll get it right too. Obviously it's not nice seeing us languishing down in the depths of the league, we all want to see a successful team that's good to watch.

But we have to calm down and see the bigger picture, the fact that a lot has changed at the club in a very short time.

The manager hasn't managed at this level before, at the same time he's shown he knows how to get success lower down the pyramid. I firmly believe he's capable of the step up, however we can't expect instant success. We need to show him patience and show him we believe in his project even if there are bumps along the way.

10 competitive games in charge is not long enough to establish a consistent, successful style. While performances have been poor, there have been glimpses of a good team too.

People have mentioned other managers in history who took a while to get it right. Their chairmen stuck by them and were rewarded for that loyality. It's not a popular view on here at the moment, but we need to do the same.

It's so easy to criticise, and it should be equally easy to support. The chances are that PH will be a successful manager at this club. Just let him show it.
Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:19 - Sep 23 with 2819 viewspointofblue

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:17 - Sep 23 by BerlinBlue

I think he'll get it right too. Obviously it's not nice seeing us languishing down in the depths of the league, we all want to see a successful team that's good to watch.

But we have to calm down and see the bigger picture, the fact that a lot has changed at the club in a very short time.

The manager hasn't managed at this level before, at the same time he's shown he knows how to get success lower down the pyramid. I firmly believe he's capable of the step up, however we can't expect instant success. We need to show him patience and show him we believe in his project even if there are bumps along the way.

10 competitive games in charge is not long enough to establish a consistent, successful style. While performances have been poor, there have been glimpses of a good team too.

People have mentioned other managers in history who took a while to get it right. Their chairmen stuck by them and were rewarded for that loyality. It's not a popular view on here at the moment, but we need to do the same.

It's so easy to criticise, and it should be equally easy to support. The chances are that PH will be a successful manager at this club. Just let him show it.

I really wish I could give this more than one up arrow.

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:23 - Sep 23 with 2812 viewsRyorry

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 10:45 - Sep 23 by BackToRussia

"I don't know whether Evans is just unlucky or incompetent, but whatever he seems to touch turns to sh1t. "

When you look at the state of the ground and refreshments for ordinary fans on matchdays (according to those who go regularly) - as run by someone whose professional life is in running his hospitality business - you can see how your statement above comes to extend to the football side of things! I think this club is just a PR! (I mean public relations) and tax exercise for ME - and he's scored a right own goal with the PR bit - (insert joke about putting him in the team as a striker).

I know he was flawed & got us into a load of financial trouble, but there are times when I just long for a Sheepy-type figure to step in - someone who knows football and ITFC - but who won't make the same financial mistakes as he did.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:27 - Sep 23 with 2792 viewsjasondozzell

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:17 - Sep 23 by BerlinBlue

Excellent post
Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:33 - Sep 23 with 2766 viewsMullet

"But we have to calm down and see the bigger picture, the fact that a lot has changed at the club in a very short time. "

People have been and generally are very calm. A lot has changed because he willed it to, and he came out swinging in the press at shadows.

"I firmly believe he's capable of the step up, however we can't expect instant success. We need to show him patience and show him we believe in his project even if there are bumps along the way."

He's made the step up. The time for potential is past, it's time to realise it now. We are 10 games in. He hasn't allowed there to be any consistency and that comes from him and Doig. Their actions, their decisions and ultimately their results that have been borne of it.

These aren't bumps we're talking about, they're open weeping wounds and many of them self-inflicted.

Hurst has had more goodwill than we've seen since the playoff season, it's also evaporated incredibly quickly because of the heat and intensity of his decision-making. I'm sorry but downplaying this might seem admirable and prudent but it really isn't.

It's 2018 and we already spend like a League 1 club scrabbling to stay in the division. The transformation under Evans finally seems complete.

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:53 - Sep 23 with 2724 viewspointofblue

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:33 - Sep 23 by Mullet

"But we have to calm down and see the bigger picture, the fact that a lot has changed at the club in a very short time. "

People have been and generally are very calm. A lot has changed because he willed it to, and he came out swinging in the press at shadows.

"I firmly believe he's capable of the step up, however we can't expect instant success. We need to show him patience and show him we believe in his project even if there are bumps along the way."

He's made the step up. The time for potential is past, it's time to realise it now. We are 10 games in. He hasn't allowed there to be any consistency and that comes from him and Doig. Their actions, their decisions and ultimately their results that have been borne of it.

These aren't bumps we're talking about, they're open weeping wounds and many of them self-inflicted.

Hurst has had more goodwill than we've seen since the playoff season, it's also evaporated incredibly quickly because of the heat and intensity of his decision-making. I'm sorry but downplaying this might seem admirable and prudent but it really isn't.

It's 2018 and we already spend like a League 1 club scrabbling to stay in the division. The transformation under Evans finally seems complete.

I’d argue that calling for a manbager’s head after ten games in charge is not evidence of being calm, but quite the contrary.

I agree the changes he made for the Norwich and Brentford games were baffling, more so the latter as we actually acquired our highest number of shots on target so far this season in the former. We do also seem to be going more direct though admittedly yesterday that was probably our best bet as Bolton shut up shop.

But while there are wounds which require treatment, surgery and/or transplants are not required yet. Everyone involved in the club, the chairman, the manager, the coaching staff, the players and the fans, need to keep calm and pull together. If we start to fracture at any point and the situation will get worse.

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 12:26 - Sep 23 with 2681 viewsNthQldITFC

I agree with all that. The not unexpected league position doesn't worry me at all at this stage - a couple of wins changes the picture completely and some of our performances have shown that we DO have the scope for significant improvement.

What does concern me are these bloody rumours, and as an outsider I have no way of knowing how much truth is in them, but given the reps of some who have commented, I am concerned.

I'm also disappointed that we haven't stuck to the philosophy and tactics to try to build cohesion and familiarity, irrespective of results at this early stage. The promise of a consistent footballing philosophy through the club was a massive selling point for me on the managerial change, and I think its an almost universally accepted premise that Bryan Klug is a seriously important factor in that, and that he and the cream of his youth teams are perhaps our greatest assets.

On the plus side, I'm really pleased that Hurst came out and said I made a mistake re Walters playing, that honesty and humility is good to see.

It may be unlikely, but I'd love to see someone at the club address these rumours, and either categorically quash them, or show an intention to rebuild any bridges that may have been burned or at least somewhat charred.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 12:40 - Sep 23 with 2647 viewsSwn98

Shame this wasn't allowed to happen last season we wouldn't of been in the state we are in now still you got what you wished for.
Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 13:01 - Sep 23 with 2601 viewsMullet

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 11:53 - Sep 23 by pointofblue

I’d argue that calling for a manbager’s head after ten games in charge is not evidence of being calm, but quite the contrary.

I agree the changes he made for the Norwich and Brentford games were baffling, more so the latter as we actually acquired our highest number of shots on target so far this season in the former. We do also seem to be going more direct though admittedly yesterday that was probably our best bet as Bolton shut up shop.

But while there are wounds which require treatment, surgery and/or transplants are not required yet. Everyone involved in the club, the chairman, the manager, the coaching staff, the players and the fans, need to keep calm and pull together. If we start to fracture at any point and the situation will get worse.

How many are actually doing that though? We're not even close to a murmur comparative to last season. Let alone in our history. Were is the evidence of this hysteria exactly? I'd say if there's any in it's with the "everything is fine, everything will be fine, it might be fine" denouement of many of those protesting a little too loudly the other way.

I have absolutely how any one of us can say. If even half the rumours are true (and I'm pretty confident they are all things considered) he hasn't done what he said he'd do, he hasn't respected the club or those in situ and ultimately he hasn't delivered a single thing with which you can say "it's working" let alone a convincing body of work.

It's very easy to say now "the fans need to stick together" but those who had no interest in doing that previously have caused this atmosphere and this environment. Bedsheet Rich all those years ago at least was swallowed up by embarrassment and piped down, I can't see the same lot doing that.

This is going back way longer than Hurst, this is the fruit of Evans' work (or lack of), this the gloom and despair that stalked the club after the playoffs and Hurst only whitewashed that for all of a couple of months. He is the least and lightest of our problems.

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 13:10 - Sep 23 with 2584 viewsLeagueOne

The problem is while most of us would agree with the sentiment, we have seen literally nothing from Hurst or these new players so far that even suggest they are good enough to be at Ipswich Town, let alone the Championship.

Hurst comes across as a guy who started out on the shop floor and ended up managing the branch but hasn't a clue about what he's doing. He's promoted a couple of mates who are equally not up to the job and the branch is now failing to deliver the goods after being relatively stable for a few years, before the wider company forced the old branch manager out through retirement to shake things up...

It's looking increasingly like the majority of us were wrong about Mick and he was literally having to do what he had to do to compete at this level based on the budget and nothing to do with his desire to play boring defensive football - because the owner lets be frank doesn't want this club and sees it as a cost burden.

When we drop our future is Coventry and then what for the once proud Ipswich Town? All I have to say my dislike of Evans grows with every day for what he has done to our club and no matter how much PR speak and nice nicey videos he does in the future, the man's a liar, and not interested in Ipswich at all.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 13:34 - Sep 23 with 2557 viewsWonky

After yesterday can't see the quality in the squad to turn it around.

You make eloquent points (above) hope you prove us worriers wrongs.
Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 14:38 - Sep 23 with 2489 viewsBerlinBlue

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 13:10 - Sep 23 by LeagueOne

The problem is while most of us would agree with the sentiment, we have seen literally nothing from Hurst or these new players so far that even suggest they are good enough to be at Ipswich Town, let alone the Championship.

Hurst comes across as a guy who started out on the shop floor and ended up managing the branch but hasn't a clue about what he's doing. He's promoted a couple of mates who are equally not up to the job and the branch is now failing to deliver the goods after being relatively stable for a few years, before the wider company forced the old branch manager out through retirement to shake things up...

It's looking increasingly like the majority of us were wrong about Mick and he was literally having to do what he had to do to compete at this level based on the budget and nothing to do with his desire to play boring defensive football - because the owner lets be frank doesn't want this club and sees it as a cost burden.

When we drop our future is Coventry and then what for the once proud Ipswich Town? All I have to say my dislike of Evans grows with every day for what he has done to our club and no matter how much PR speak and nice nicey videos he does in the future, the man's a liar, and not interested in Ipswich at all.

"When we drop our future is Coventry"
You've made up your mind irrationally fast that we're going to be relegated and stay relegated.

"All I have to say my dislike of Evans grows with every day for what he has done to our club"
I'm speechless at this. Evans finances this club and keeps it alive. You have seen what other owners have done to clubs, haven't you?

"the man's a liar, and not interested in Ipswich at all."
Please think about this again. Then you might see how utterly stupid this is.
Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 17:55 - Sep 23 with 2374 viewsLeagueOne

Getting on Hurst's back won't help him or team. Got to stick with him! (n/t) on 14:38 - Sep 23 by BerlinBlue

"When we drop our future is Coventry"
You've made up your mind irrationally fast that we're going to be relegated and stay relegated.

"All I have to say my dislike of Evans grows with every day for what he has done to our club"
I'm speechless at this. Evans finances this club and keeps it alive. You have seen what other owners have done to clubs, haven't you?

"the man's a liar, and not interested in Ipswich at all."
Please think about this again. Then you might see how utterly stupid this is.

Again you lot can downvote me all you want the proof is in the pudding - you were all wrong about Hurst being up to the job, all wrong about the players coming in being a breath of fresh air, wrong about football being better (it's far worse!) and wrong about Mick. You are also wrong about the owner.

Just accept you were wrong and grow up a bit.

The only people who are utterly stupid are the ones when we are rock bottom, playing the worse football we ever had, with easily our worse ever managerial appointment claiming everyone else is an idiot for disagreeing. You are like Hitler in the bunker, totally deluded as Berlin burns around you.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024