Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move 10:53 - Jul 19 with 8029 viewsmaccyd9

but only if Hurst is given the money.

If that sale enabled us to go and get Nsiala, Tilt, Nolan, Eisa (all examples) + 1 or 2 others then for me it would be good business.

We are a selling club until we get back in to the Prem. If that means wheeling and dealing in the hope one day it comes together then that's fine with me.

As much as I rate it him there is no guarantees Waghorn will reach the standards of this season in what was pretty much a one off in his career.
I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 12:03 - Jul 19 with 2415 viewschicoazul

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 12:01 - Jul 19 by StokieBlue

Hurst to get the profits to spend by StokieBlue 28 Jun 2018 12:51
Allegedly, according to the EADT:

The EADT and Ipswich Star understands that new Blues boss Paul Hurst has been assured by owner Marcus Evans that the funds raised will go straight into his transfer kitty as he looks to mould his own squad this summer.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/webster-set-to-join-bristol-city-for-3-5m-1-5580600

SB

"The EADT and Ipswich Star understands that new Blues boss Paul Hurst has been assured by owner Marcus Evans that the funds raised will go straight into his transfer kitty as he looks to mould his own squad this summer. "

Allegedly of course.

SB

Ahhhhh. It's a "the press understands" thing. Thanks.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 12:05 - Jul 19 with 2413 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 12:03 - Jul 19 by howdonblue

If Brit assamblonga of Boro is a £15 million player waghorn is worth £20 million

Britt is 2 years younger.

Britt has a far better and more consistent record at this level.

Not sure why Waghorn is worth more in your opinion.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2018 12:05]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 12:06 - Jul 19 with 2409 viewsStokieBlue

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 12:03 - Jul 19 by chicoazul

Ahhhhh. It's a "the press understands" thing. Thanks.

Indeed, hence allegedly.

We won't know for months either way.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 12:07 - Jul 19 with 2406 viewschicoazul

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 12:06 - Jul 19 by StokieBlue

Indeed, hence allegedly.

We won't know for months either way.

SB

Yep, we'll just have to wait and see.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 12:26 - Jul 19 with 2376 viewsCuffy81

OP makes some good points, we have to accept every player has a price under Evan's ownership

History suggests we are not dynamic in the transfer market and that Evans is slow to react and get deals completed - if Waghorn is sold then this needs to change before the window closes, if not it could be a very long season
I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 12:55 - Jul 19 with 2369 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 11:27 - Jul 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

28/29 is not a bad age, but the lack of future sell on value means that players of that age will achieve comparably lower fees at this level.

Would you mind awfully NOT keep adding "29" into the mix to try and strengthen your argument? He's 28. He's not even close to 29.

I agree he's not going to fetch as much as a late teen/early 20's player with a similar record. But in terms of fees being paid for Champ strikers these days, the one involved in most goals last season IS (IMO) worth the higher figures being bandied about.

Didzy was worth £7m a couple of years ago and was involved in far fewer goals.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 13:52 - Jul 19 with 2351 viewsitfcjoe

I think even if we use those funds to bring in more bodies, we will be left short a goalscorer and an expereinced campaigner at this level.

Sell Waggy and replace him with the 4 players you use as examples, coupled up with our other signings and we are looking at being a side full of good L1 players - will that work? Surely best to keep hold of good Championship players where you can

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:28 - Jul 19 with 2330 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 13:52 - Jul 19 by itfcjoe

I think even if we use those funds to bring in more bodies, we will be left short a goalscorer and an expereinced campaigner at this level.

Sell Waggy and replace him with the 4 players you use as examples, coupled up with our other signings and we are looking at being a side full of good L1 players - will that work? Surely best to keep hold of good Championship players where you can

Excellent point Joe.

There’s a reason so many clubs are after Waggy. Because a goalscorer like him at this level is a rare find. These clubs probably can’t beleive there luck that they’re having to bid in the 5m region rather than 20m region baring in mind what players go for in 2018 football.

So why people think we would replace him with someone as good, even with a few million to spend, I just don’t know. Webster hasn’t even been replaced yet and it took a year to replace Murph. We just can’t sell him to my mind.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2018 14:29]

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Login to get fewer ads

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:36 - Jul 19 with 2323 viewsPhilTWTD

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 11:22 - Jul 19 by StokieBlue

He's said Hurst will get money generated to reinvest, so he has said it will be different in that way.

Whether it happens, who knows. History tells us it's unlikely.

SB

The money will be reinvested into the budget, it always is, in fees and - probably to the greater degree in recent seasons - wages.

The question is how much of the operating loss - which is essentially wages - is covered by the cash coming in. While anyone who thinks that at least some of it won't go towards wages is deluded, I think a fair chunk will be available for fees as things stand (some has been spent alreadyon Edwards).

Of course, if Waghorn is sold for the sort of fee that is likely, c£7m, then we're getting into the territory of an operating loss along the lines of the last few seasons being more than covered by the various fees and there being cash on top of that anyway.
I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:40 - Jul 19 with 2312 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:36 - Jul 19 by PhilTWTD

The money will be reinvested into the budget, it always is, in fees and - probably to the greater degree in recent seasons - wages.

The question is how much of the operating loss - which is essentially wages - is covered by the cash coming in. While anyone who thinks that at least some of it won't go towards wages is deluded, I think a fair chunk will be available for fees as things stand (some has been spent alreadyon Edwards).

Of course, if Waghorn is sold for the sort of fee that is likely, c£7m, then we're getting into the territory of an operating loss along the lines of the last few seasons being more than covered by the various fees and there being cash on top of that anyway.

All of that is great - losses minimalised etc.

But we’d have the problem of having our best striker (and possibly beat defender) gone with no replacement and two weeks left.

There’s nobody about for 5m that would improve us on Waggy imho.

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:43 - Jul 19 with 2310 viewschicoazul

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:36 - Jul 19 by PhilTWTD

If we sold Waghorn for 7 that would mean we would have generated 12m in fees this summer; Waghorn, Webster, FIFA, Knight.

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:46 - Jul 19 with 2302 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:43 - Jul 19 by chicoazul

If we sold Waghorn for 7 that would mean we would have generated 12m in fees this summer; Waghorn, Webster, FIFA, Knight.

And replaced the four starters from last season (Connolly, CCV, Webster and Waggy) with a loaned defender, no replacement CM, no replacement CB and no replacement striker.

Money is only good if you spend it. Having it in the bank means nothing if we get relegated because our team lacks serious quality.

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:48 - Jul 19 with 2299 viewschicoazul

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:46 - Jul 19 by The_Romford_Blue

And replaced the four starters from last season (Connolly, CCV, Webster and Waggy) with a loaned defender, no replacement CM, no replacement CB and no replacement striker.

Money is only good if you spend it. Having it in the bank means nothing if we get relegated because our team lacks serious quality.

Welp, lots of people keep telling us that Hurst can spend whatever he raises so, again, if we sell Waghorn I look forward to the new permanent signings we will be paying fees for. After all we have 5m in the pot so far already and just look at the players coming in!

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:28 - Jul 19 with 2285 viewsPhilTWTD

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 14:46 - Jul 19 by The_Romford_Blue

We do have a while yet, transfer window open until August 9th, loans - which can be turned into permanent deals - until end of August. But I do take your bird in the hand type point. If players are sold the club needs to make sure they're replaced.
I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:30 - Jul 19 with 2273 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:28 - Jul 19 by PhilTWTD

We do have a while yet, transfer window open until August 9th, loans - which can be turned into permanent deals - until end of August. But I do take your bird in the hand type point. If players are sold the club needs to make sure they're replaced.

I’m still not sure what the point of bringing it forward was tbh. But keeping the loan window normal.

Seems an unnecessary move to me

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:34 - Jul 19 with 2268 viewsitfcjoe

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:30 - Jul 19 by The_Romford_Blue

I’m still not sure what the point of bringing it forward was tbh. But keeping the loan window normal.

Seems an unnecessary move to me

It's because the PL need to bring theirs forward (and why ours is actually after start of season) and just to try and get round that

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:36 - Jul 19 with 2258 viewsHerbivore

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:28 - Jul 19 by PhilTWTD

Phil, what's your feeling on Waghorn? Are you getting a sense that it's more likely he'll stay or more likely he'll go? For all the hysteria I'd not be surprised if nobody came close to our valuation.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:40 - Jul 19 with 2248 viewsPhilTWTD

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:36 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Phil, what's your feeling on Waghorn? Are you getting a sense that it's more likely he'll stay or more likely he'll go? For all the hysteria I'd not be surprised if nobody came close to our valuation.

I reckon he'll probably go as I think there are so many interested one will match our valuation. Having said that, I expected Bart to go. Not impossible Town could offer Waghorn a new contract in a similar manner, of course, although I'm not aware of any talks in that direction. No doubt his agent will have mentioned the possibility during discussions though.
I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:43 - Jul 19 with 2239 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:34 - Jul 19 by itfcjoe

It's because the PL need to bring theirs forward (and why ours is actually after start of season) and just to try and get round that

Ah right

Cheers

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 16:12 - Jul 19 with 2202 viewsHerbivore

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 15:40 - Jul 19 by PhilTWTD

I reckon he'll probably go as I think there are so many interested one will match our valuation. Having said that, I expected Bart to go. Not impossible Town could offer Waghorn a new contract in a similar manner, of course, although I'm not aware of any talks in that direction. No doubt his agent will have mentioned the possibility during discussions though.

Bit depressing really the prospect of losing one of our best players to a similar size Championship club that just happens to have more money. Sign of the times.

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 16:15 - Jul 19 with 2197 viewsitfcjoe

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 16:12 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Bit depressing really the prospect of losing one of our best players to a similar size Championship club that just happens to have more money. Sign of the times.

It's an ominous sign in reality - if you lose your best players to rivals it's very difficult to compete. Will be asking a lot of Hurst in what is already a difficult job that Mick did well all things considered

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 16:16 - Jul 19 with 2191 viewscrazyblue68

What is the point in selling Waghorn, when we have to replace him ? We arnt going to get anyone as good for the sort of money Evans will spend. It makes no sense at all, dont we want to move forward ? Are we just stuck in this division, or lower forever, with no ambition whatsoever ? Everyone on here is obviously sick of the same old rubbish. Yes we have a new manager, but what else do we really have ? Just the same as the last few years by the looks of things. I wont use my phrase, as you have all seen it plenty of times, but nothing really is different at all. And Evans said it was going to be different. Utter nonsense.
I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 16:18 - Jul 19 with 2184 viewsHerbivore

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 16:16 - Jul 19 by crazyblue68

What is the point in selling Waghorn, when we have to replace him ? We arnt going to get anyone as good for the sort of money Evans will spend. It makes no sense at all, dont we want to move forward ? Are we just stuck in this division, or lower forever, with no ambition whatsoever ? Everyone on here is obviously sick of the same old rubbish. Yes we have a new manager, but what else do we really have ? Just the same as the last few years by the looks of things. I wont use my phrase, as you have all seen it plenty of times, but nothing really is different at all. And Evans said it was going to be different. Utter nonsense.

Erm, when did Evans say things would be different? He said our budget would remain the same and reiterated his five point plan. Everyone went mad over it (bar a few of us who have not only seen but actually flown on aeroplanes).

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 16:27 - Jul 19 with 2178 viewscrazyblue68

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 16:18 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Erm, when did Evans say things would be different? He said our budget would remain the same and reiterated his five point plan. Everyone went mad over it (bar a few of us who have not only seen but actually flown on aeroplanes).

He said we are going to try something different, so whats different, apart from a lower league manager coming in ? Evans isnt changing his plan. So l cant for the life of me see where its going to be different.
I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 16:35 - Jul 19 with 2170 viewsHerbivore

I think cashing in on Waghorn for £7m+ would be a sensible move on 16:27 - Jul 19 by crazyblue68

He said we are going to try something different, so whats different, apart from a lower league manager coming in ? Evans isnt changing his plan. So l cant for the life of me see where its going to be different.

When he said we'd be doing something different it was specifically in relation to the new manager. And we have, we've gone for a lower league manager having previously appointed managers with experience of promotion from the Championship. He was very clear there would be no more money and we'd be adhering to the five point plan, all of which is happening. What were you expecting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024