Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A slightly unpopular view I fear 14:30 - Jun 29 with 5007 viewsDanFord

But I would take £8m for Waghorn if it was to all be reinvested. Hurst is going to play a 4141 and Waghorn doesn't fit as a winger in that mould and I don't think his best position is actually as a lone striker getting on the end of crosses either. People here banding £10m to £15m are right in the sense that this is what other players with a similar goals and assists ratio are going for, but I think the fact we got him for less than £500k last year may come into the offers we are likely to receive. Waggy is my FAVOURITE player by the way so I say this lightly. But I do think he's a great player who had a 'Murphy' season. I could see him scoring 10 this year and another 5 assists but I don't think he's going to replicate last year over the next few years, which is what those £10m to £15m players are expected to do. With this money for a player that we may not get the best out of in Hurst's system I trust Hurst to make signings that could seriously make us into a promotion contender on the big proviso he got all the money to spend. After all we got Waghorn for a 1/16th of what I would take for him (1/32nd if you believe other reports on that fee). I just don't see why we would turn it down when we have the perfect manager to not only replace him for a slice of that fee but to invest the rest to make us stronger. If we got say £16m for Bart, Webster and Waghorn and Hurst could spend that I have no doubt we'd end up much stronger. That's why I could live with them going. The thought of 5 or 6 £3m players would be very exciting. Que Sera Sera. I'm happy for Waggy to stay but certainly won't be upset if he leaves unless it's for less than £8m.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

A slightly unpopular view I fear on 16:43 - Jun 29 with 1056 viewstractorboy1978

I’ve always found that Ipswich fans have a tendency to do down their own players and over do opposition players. Let’s be frank here, Waghorn was statiscally one of the best players in the division and Bart is undoubtedly one of the best, if not the best goalkeeper.
A slightly unpopular view I fear on 16:49 - Jun 29 with 1046 viewsflimflam

Waggy is the one player we should do our utmost to keep which I believe will be the case.

I put all the young guns, Nydam, Dozzell, Downes, Wolf etc in there as well.

Bart would be replaceable if we got a good fee as would any of the other squad players.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

A slightly unpopular view I fear on 19:04 - Jun 29 with 989 viewsFreddies_Ears

I'm not arguing with you, though that post alone would make a great night in a pub! I am wondering how Hurst must be feeling, hot out of a small League One club, and with around &6m to spend but loss of one important player and one potential future star. Add another &10m (?) For Waggy - I think he's reach that now - and it would be a problem that Hurst surely didn't reckon with having. Surely he'd prefer to work with his best players rather than have to replace them? Or will he carve up the cream of League One talent with the proceeds and move us onwards and upwards?
A slightly unpopular view I fear on 19:09 - Jun 29 with 987 viewsTrequartista

A slightly unpopular view I fear on 16:21 - Jun 29 by tractorboy1978

Clearly been reinvested but it’s just reduced what Evans has needed to put in. We operate on the same budget regardless of what fees we generate so it’d be a little disingenuous to make out the money in has made any tangible difference in terms of calibre of player we’ve signed.

100% spot on. But he did a great interview don't you know.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2018 19:09]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

A slightly unpopular view I fear on 19:22 - Jun 29 with 977 viewsfactual_blue

A slightly unpopular view I fear on 16:11 - Jun 29 by PhilTWTD

Where else has it gone if not on the playing squad?

Hob nobs?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A slightly unpopular view I fear on 20:15 - Jun 29 with 958 viewsbraveblue

Selling you best players does not get you promoted.
Evans will not reinvest. Look at recent history.
Waghorn could not be replaced for the sort of fee Evans would sanction.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024